Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gripping my poles!!! now with pictures!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Black Diamond.

Aww, the visual funny is ruined by the page fold. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

hold like this, then the pole falls away if you let go

if that were true, why would you not wear straps off piste... ahah your ruse has been exposed.. i win!

ok time for one more zebrowska then bed...

p.s. you have girlier hands than i had expected!

The picture ain't my hands!

Pole falling away but it is still attached to the wrist. Off piste you want to be able to throw them away if the snow pack starts to slide, hence no strap....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just been to check my poles... belive they were about £15 back in 2005/6 240-260ish days use since.... grips are fine... both aren't straight and have lots of chips showing... will only buy new ones if one snaps... they are Scott aluminium series 2....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, yup - I know how to use pole straps - still didn't stop damaged thumbs Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I still think Megamum's got mice! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
they dramatically reduce the effort when poling.

Quote:
they help me with every single pole plant I make.

Pole planting doesn't require 'effort' and I don't understand why it should. Puzzled Even skating uphill, little assist pushes are rhythmic so straps don't assist and I've never been shown why or taught how straps would help any aspect of DH by an instructor. I've only ever read comments about their usefulness on skiing forums.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross, I meant effort when poling along a flat piste, not just pole planting. Never managed the skaters step!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Never managed the skaters step!

Well worth learning; poling on the flat is a waste of effort. When skating I generally hold my poles right at the top, so I can push down/back on them, so even if I was wearing straps to start with, I'd take them off for poling/skating. Alpine poles are too short to be much help when skating - XC skating poles are far longer. I can skate to an extent, but I do find the poles useful, too (double pole plant with every left leg push). Competent skaters can do very well without them; I once watched an EDF instructor skating quite fast, uphill, with a huge armful of slalom poles.

The only time I find straps useful is when towing a snowboarder, or a child, because I can just have the strap round my wrist without having to grip the pole itself.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, au contraire straps very definitely assist while skating/poling.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poles held properly using straps enable you to flick and apply exactly the right pressure to a pole plant, which is kinda useful when you're somewhere that pole plants do a functional job like pow or bumps. I find straps less useful when poling mainly because I have my palms on top of the poles for better leverage.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All I read is even more assertions and as per the others, conflicting ones at that. Toofy Grin

But there's more than one way to skin a cat I suppose and if pole straps are necessary for your own method, then so be it. My own experience is that I don't need them for DH or skating and the only advice I've ever been given one way or the other, from professional coaches, guides and instructors is, don't bother with them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I find straps less useful when poling mainly because I have my palms on top of the poles for better leverage.

Yes, that was what I meant. XC skaters are using their straps in a big way, but their poles are far longer
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find using the straps aka kitenski, and adjusted to suit takes all the tension out of the forearms that would otherwise build up during plants if used without straps, tension tends to then creep from here up to the shoulders and beyond!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy