Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is your easiest black and the most difficult green?

Poster: A snowHead
French Megeve (St. Gervais, Combloux, Megeve & Rochebrune) is known to have inconsistent slope gradings. The wife and I tried to stay away from the crowd and found a quiet spot in Rochebrune next to the Super Megeve chair lift (Run No. 56 also called Super Megeve) and decided to practise there, as we were starting to tackle the red slopes then. Only afterward by looking at the piste map we realised it was a black slope. It is always groomed but can have bumps of snow here and there and is by no mean steep. This was my opinion then and remains so now after we have done blacks slopes in 8 countries. Every time I revisit Megeve I would try it again just to laugh at it. It is very short and straight too as one can see one end from the other. Would suit skiers gunning for the black first time as I haven't found one easier than it yet.

At the opposite end I find the first section of the green slope coming down from Borsat Express chairlift of Tignes/Val Dl'sere Col De Fresse totally unreasonable. It is one of the two links between Val D and Tignes and at times the overtrafficed slope becomes nothing but deep moguls. The slope is also unreasonably steep and can be comfortably classified as a red. The only reason I could think of it being green is because all the rest is flat.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are looking for deadly greens Val D has got to be the place. I remember the top of Genepy which is steep mogulled and allegedly green.
Easiest blacks might be those above Ciel Alto at Cervinia or Sanglier below Saulire at Meribel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hardest green was the first one I ever did (at lake louise)!! snowHead snowHead
Easiest black was one I did last weekend at Northstar - just kept waiting for the 'tricky bit round the corner'. It never came.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The most difficult green i've seen is School Ma'm at Keystone just for the sheer length of the thing, i think its about 3 - 3.5 miles! At the start of the run it has a sign saying "Hey Beginners, Beware!" Shocked

Don't know about the easiest black, but there is a double black on the frontside at Vail called Blue Ox and believe it or not it's groomed! Granted it was pretty steep but otherwise just very long and straight.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know it's generalising but any Italian black is usually much easier than a French, Austrian or Swiss run.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easiest Black - can't remember the name but it was at Big Mountain, Whitefish in Montana was flat like the rest of the mountain but had a tree in the middle of the piste - still had bits of dual carriageway on either side to pass by though !! - As for the Green - probably a scottish green is the hardest or failing that one in Fernie - last year after I hadn't skied for 3 years Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a couple of blacks in Crans Montana that I'm sure have been wrongly graded.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I usually ski only white stuff.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hardest green was easily that bit at the top under the Borsat Express at Val d when we skied it in 2002, however in 2003 there was an alternative route down alongside it, a big zigzag, dead easy.

Easiest black was at Tignes, up on the glacier, we didn't even know it was black until later.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Near Avoriaz the other weekend, we skied into the Swiss side. My partner (expert) said to me (intermediate) "this is a lovely long blue". Half way along a black chanelled off as the quick way down to the bottom. He disappears off the side and I stay on the blue. Swishing happily along, the run turned a corner and dropped off the side. Mr Expert watching me from the bottom thought it hilarious as all these intermediates stood like lemmings at the top before hacking their way down the vertical drop. I kid you not. The black would have been the easiest way down. Shocked

For a confidence building black you can't beat the Leisse in Tignes. Short and forgiving.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's dependent upon conditions, of course, as well.

Loze Est (green) in Courchevel is fine when the snow is good. When it gets icey and mogulled in the narrow bits, it becomes a lot more like a difficult blue than a green. In fact two weeks ago, it was probably a red given the conditions (alternating slush and ice moguls).

More beginners were falling on that than the red coming down from 1650 to the 1850 lifts...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forgot to mention - easiest black again depends so much on conditions. Face in Val D is a doddle in the right snow, early on in the day (when it's quieter). Have been on a many reds that were considerably steeper/bumpier...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been on Leisse with gigantic moguls. Twas a black and half then...
They seem to groom it at least twice a week these days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The bottom part of the Luc Alphand Run to Chantmerle (Serre Chevalier) manages to be both at once. It is a black (used for racing) but at least one of the greens through the trees crosses it. Not funny for beginners.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kuwait_ian, I know what you mean. Me and another guy after a hard day decided to take the "easy" way down and take the green. Well it was a V-shape after scores of people snow-plowing down it, which was all you could do to go down it. We gave up on the "easy" and switched to the "hard" Luc Alphand which was much easier!
snow report
Helen LS wrote:
As for the Green - probably a scottish green is the hardest
Is it the grass coming through?
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, much better on Luc Alphand than the green, first time I admit I did the green . but switched to the black the 2nd time it crossed. You end up on the bottom of the black when you finish anyway.
snow report
Yes Helen. The Luc A for those who don't know it is very wide and kept flat (at least in this area) so as long as you can traverse you can use it without much fear.
Higher up it is a different story.

But late afternoon near the bottom it can get interesting with traversing slowbies and fall line devils 'interacting' as everyone comes down for the last time.
ski holidays
Have been known to get the cable car down in the afternoon in late season. Off there soon, so I'll test it out again, morning time though I think.
snow report
Used to love being in deckchair mode late afternoon with a pint and a baguette on the terrace of the Yeti Hotel watching the carnage on the end of the Luc Alpha.
See also the Swedish Skier Killed thread about the fun to be had there.

But I think someone has built a multistorey in the way and blocked the view.... ?
Have a good one, Helen.
snow conditions
Hardest green, don't know the name but it's on the far left at Kicking Horse and is one of the hardest runs I've ever done, full of rocks, moguls & trees! Kept checking the piste map after thinking I'd made a mistake!

Easiest - Italy.
snow report
Easiest black is any black in Andorra. I also found the blacks in St Anton to be surprisingly unchallenging for a supposed "expert" resort.
snow report
Quote:

I also found the blacks in St Anton to be surprisingly unchallenging for a supposed "expert" resort.

do you mean the itineries or the pisted runs? my sense is the itineries at St Anton play the role of blacks.

I'd agree with others about the hardest green - that run down to La Dai (sp?) in Val D'Isere is only green to pretend that their are beginner runs to resort when people are booking their holidays...

I also nearly lost a girlfirend by dragging her down that blue through the trees below les saulaise
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy