Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the update, great to hear that more than 5cm fell yesterday.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ + 1 will be there a week today and can't wait Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has been snowing yesterday and today in Hochfügen. Hard to say how much as fallen as it has been very windy too, so in some places are deep drifts and in others the snow has been totally scoured off the rocks and ridges. The snow is pretty heavy because of the wind and visibility has been poor. At the moment, the avalanche danger is high.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like it might be warming up a bit for when I get there this sat Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like it should return to seasonal average pretty quickly with a chance of some snow so could be worse Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How's it looking will be on the slopes Sunday Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well first day on the slopes piste are in good condition however the lower you get the icier it gets stay high above 1900m and your ok didn't look at off piste as visibility was down to around 80m better in the tree lines
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the update, good to hear that things are fairly decent.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pistes are ok, a few little brown patches are starting to show on some runs that had the sun on them most the day, and lower down can get a little mushy, top of the slopes are ok but getting a little hard packed now, and off piste is struggling. Was warm today with it being +7 at the top of the gondola. Sorry it's not great news, it need to drop 15 or so degrees and have a few heavy snow falls, but hey I'm still having fun out here and it's better than any snowdome Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Heading to Mayrhofen on Friday myself... The forecast looks a little bit better but still warm in the valley http://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/wetter/prognose/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are some signs of snow to come on the GFS models towards the end of the week and early next week. Would be nice to see the temps drop a bit more but even so up on the mountain it should be ok.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reckon the organisers of the Freeride World Tour Qualifier - Big Mountain Hochfügen http://bigmountain-hochfuegen.com/ have a direct line to the weather. Last week was warm and windy and off piste everything was starting to look a bit windswept. It snowed last night Very Happy Today we have 30-40cm of new snow and a gorgeous blue sky. The contest has just finished. Sadly, I was working all morning so couldn't stand and watch, although it wasn't all bad... I was teaching an introduction to off piste lesson so I was able to make some fresh tracks in some lovely light snow Smile
The wind has increased and the temperature has risen now so the snow is going to be getting heavy this afternoon.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SaraJ, Heard a report on the radio (Antenne Salzburg) that there was a hotel fire in Hochfügen this week but not heard anything else. Is everything OK? Which hotel had to evacuate their guests in the night? I assume the lack of news means it was a smoke alarm and nothing too serious.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, There was a fire in the basement that was put out very quickly. I haven't heard anything on the grapevine in Hochfügen, though I believe it made the national news because the smoke had got into the lift shaft and ventilation system and it took a while to get the air in the hotel clean again.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SaraJ, Ta, probably a glowing fag end in a bin after the cleaning up! Yep made the radio news at least for an hour or two!
ski holidays
Here a report (in German). Still doesn't say which hotel it was.
ski holidays
Just booked some accommodation in Zell am Ziller for 23rd March as I've always fancied staying there instead of Mayrhofen where I've stayed twice before now. Right by the train station so I can make the most of the area like I usually do. Anyone else going to be in Mayrhofen/close by from 22/23rd March?

I've not been in March before, the times before have both been in December.
snow report
Possibly. Haven't decided which weekend yet.

Last time I went in mid-March, to Mayrhofen, it was knee deep snow in town! (I expect that was probably not typical weather conditions)
snow report
andy, well if you do decide to go that weekend perhaps we can meet up for a ski.

Both times in December the snow was very good with snowfalls throughout the week, although not all of the area was open then, not due to lack of snow though.

I figured that the conditions in March would be similar if not better than I've experienced already, albeit warmer as it's spring but like you found, you can never tell what you are going to get.
The area is open until mid April so I can't see it being a problem. I've got a nice central B&B with a wellness centre so even if things were really really dire I've plenty to keep me entertained (and Hintertux if I must).
snow conditions
Any updates on the snow conditions, two weeks to go now until my holiday! The official websites are suggesting it hasn't snowed since the 28th/29th Jan which seems at odds with some of the reports above and what I have seen on the webcams. Any of the weather experts able to offer some hope that the current weather pattern is going to change as Mayrhofen seems to keep missing out so far this season.
ski holidays
I think they have had snow since yes, look up Zell am Ziller on Twitter because the Crystal people post on there about conditions in Zell am Ziller and Mayrhofen as well.
snow conditions
Watching the webcams the trees were covered in fresh snow only three days ago. I suspect they are just slow at updating the website. Silly really it could be costing the area bookings.
ski holidays
Just got back from our 5 day trip to Mayrhofen last night. Great conditions with good dumps of snow on Sunday and Monday night. It was really good on Saturday too because it was really sunny and there was a light fall of snow on Friday night.
The main issue we had was the main Penkenbahn lift was closed on Monday along with the Horbergbahn and a good few adjacent lifts up the mountain. The only lift open was the Ahornbahn cable car. This was due to high winds. The information board at the penkenbahn said everywhere was closed except Ahorn but some of our gang heard that Rastkogelbahn was open so we had a great afternoon up there. I heard Eggalm was open until 2pm also. We were all a bit miffed that the Information board was inaccurate.
ski holidays
blimey. must have been some wind.

had been booked for Kaltenbach (last year?) when the website says 2 lifts open... gondola up to the mountain, and 1 drag lift on the world's flattest bunny slope.

took a good force 9 to do that
latest report
The tv report in the hotel said 60 to 80km winds at times.
Met a local guy in the Penkenbahn on Sunday and he said high winds were a big problem this season
snow conditions
Thanks donie that's what i thought having avidly watched the webcams over the last week. Just need to get through the imminent warm spell and get some snow just before we arrive. Can't wait to get over there now.
latest report
Bright and sunny today, windy in the afternoon but not enough to stop any lifts in Hochzillertal. The pistes are in excellent condition. Off piste reminds me of skiing in Scotland - sastrugi, wind blasted ice, pockets of soft wind blown snow which look exactly the same as pockets of wind blown snow with a breakable crust. Well it's good to have a challenge... Deep, fluffy powder is just too easy, isn't it Toofy Grin
The weather forecast is saying new snow tomorrow and no mention of wind... Looking forward to it Smile
snow conditions
Marvellous! Snowing... And at the moment, no wind Very Happy. Long may it continue.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
I've got a nice central B&B with a wellness centre so even if things were really really dire I've plenty to keep me entertained (and Hintertux if I must).

As you are on B&B in Zell am Ziller it's maybe worth mentioning that there are several good places to eat there in the evening, but one I'd particularly recommend trying is the restaurant Zellerhof. There is a tourism school (the Zillertaler Tourismusschulen) based in Zell am Ziller which trains people from all over Austria in the hotel and catering trade, and as part of their activities they operate the Zellerhof restaurant which is situated on the first floor of the building above the Pizzeria Ristorante Quattro which is also run by the tourist school. I've found the quality of the food (and the service!) at the Zellerhof restaurant to be excellent, and because a lot of the staff are course students the wages bill must be lower than would otherwise be the case wink , so the prices are also reasonable. Sample menu here. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to trying it out.

Any recommendations from anyone for some off piste guiding in Zell am Ziller? I would like half a day it maybe more of off piste guiding while I'm there to get the best out of the area. Any suggestions?
snow conditions
This week we've had snow, sun, wind - lots of wind, more snow and today brilliant blue sky, sunshine and hero snow Smile
More snow is forecast for tomorrow... So that will be nice Razz
snow report
Today started overcast but by lunchtime had cleared out to become a lovely sunny afternoon. The snow we had over the past few days has freshened everything up again. The conditions on piste are tip top. By the time I was able to go off piste this afternoon all the easily accessible stuff was skied out, though it was fun to bounce through it anyway.
snow report
Any update on the conditions as I'm heading out in the next couple of weeks.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, Hah! I was just thinking I should put an update on here when your post bumped this thread to the top of the list!
So, in Hochfügen the pistes are in great condition and are coping well with the influx of the total population of the Netherlands. Off piste is becoming quite bumpy with firm, grippy snow. The forecast promised 10-20cm of snow over the weekend, unfortunately it was about 5cm at best so that was a bit disappointing.
I haven't been to Zell recently, though I would imagine that the snow there will be hard in the morning and slushy in the afternoon because a lot of it faces the sun. The best snow there will be on the link pistes to Gerlos.
I've heard a few reports vaguely saying that winter will come back this week... I hope so!
snow report
Thanks for the update Very Happy

The plan is to use Zell am Ziller as a base and use the train to go to wherever I want to go in the week as it's in the middle of Mayrhofen and Kaltenbach.
Should be good.

Am happy to meet up with any Snowheads around while I'm there as I'm going on my own on this trip.
snow conditions
Booked 22-23 March, just for the weekend. Not decided which villages yet, but Kaltenbach and Zell am Ziller are my usual choices. Staying in Innsbruck and will park up daily wherever.

I've purposefully not looked at weather forecasts.
snow report
Any updates on snow conditions in Mayrhofen and Hintertux? We'll be out this weekend.
latest report
Heat wave here.
Better cool down over the next 2 weeks.
How big is the carpark for Hintertux? - might be wanting that rather than the lower villages.
snow report
andy, massive - it'll probably take hundreds of cars.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 11-03-14 13:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
In Hochfügen the sunny side is rock hard and icy in the morning, perfect to ski between 1030 and 12 and then mush in the afternoon. The other side, which is more in the shade is great. Slushy near the bottom in the afternoon but otherwise still good... With lots of bumps off piste Toofy Grin
I would imagine that Hintertux is awesome, being 1000m higher the snow will still be great.
I haven't been over to Kaltenbach this week though I've heard it's not so good... More ice and, then later, slush than Hochfügen.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy