Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal Snow Report 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Off next week so will watch this thread with interest!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any new reports for here off there firsts week in feb
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plane there now updates over next few days
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice one
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied Kaltenbach today. Disturbing waking up in a valley full of green summer meadows with a tiny snake of a piste running down the home route but thankfully there is snow up top. Some brown patches on some pistes and it's obviously very disappointing for january but they're still enjoyable to ski. Overall I'd say the snow is ok. Bizarrely warm. Never been this warm while skiing and it isn't the sun heating us, the air is just warm. Thankfully little ice as of yet, some patches on black slopes but otherwise ok. Noticeable degradation as you reduce height, home run was a farce unfortunately. Classic spring stuff to be honest.

If you haven't booked I wouldn't bother, if you have booked you'll still be able to enjoy yourself. Reasonably busy too which was a surprise.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
heading out on the 25th and thankfully all the forecast's are pointing toward a drop in temps and a snowy period from the 18/19-26/27 so conditions should quickly improve

plus as soon as the temps drop i'm sure they will have the cannons on fixing any brown patches
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Already booked up first week in feb so hopefully a little more snow will have fallen thanks for the update
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
off there just for the weekend, unless I bail and head elsewhere. can still swap to Stubai/Sölden if need be.
plan was mayrhofen saturday / zillertal arena sunday, but thinking i might swap that around (think zell am ziller pistes are fractionally higher?)
no intention of doing home runs, even if it was white to the valley.
looks like it's cooling down a bit though from now onwards.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If there's lower temps and precipitation you'll be fine, would be a very poor year if that doesn't happen between now and then.

Can anyone with any experience of hintertux advise if it's worth 40 minutes each way? Seems to be only 60k of pistes there and only a few of them above 2400 anyway?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ANDY I was originally thinking Mayer Saturday, is that the changeover day there? Don't want to turn people off, like I said I still enjoyed today and it wasn't too much more disappointing than your average winter day when it hasn't snowed in a few days. in fact the one thing that is to be said is that the pistes aren't hard at all.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yup saturday is changeover. usually a long queue of traffic out the valley in the morning, and nothing going in.
right Mayrhofen it is (via Horberg, cos I need to park up) on Saturday, Zell am Ziller on Sunday (usually deserted there).
mainly there to faff with new skis, and to get a quick fix before s10BB.
will prolly do Stubai in March.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stop press fresh snow 8 cm at top per resort I'd actually say it's more and still falling lightly up top, obviously a little damper powder than you'd like but it's very nice, just did a bit of side piste there and very good, contemplating guide now
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's what I like to hear. Save some snow for me tomorrow though please!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tis nice in hochfugen anyway, spring snow small Dump conditions, anyone in mayer and can confirm if it's similar there? Or arena?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mayrhofen today. Pistes hard in places but generally ok. Some areas better than others. Stuff off horburgjoch probably the best. Off piste pointless I think and nobody out there.
snow report
Mayrhofen today. Pistes hard in places but generally ok. Some areas better than others. Stuff off horburgjoch probably the best. Off piste pointless I think and nobody out there.
snow report
Yep, same here. Up the top of 150er Tux and the Horburg 8er was pretty decent, considering, even in the Sun. Less busy that way too. Little bit on the soft side low down, but certainly not wet cement consistency that I've seen elsewhere when this warm.

All perfectly skiable.

Will do Zell am Ziller tomorrow. Think Karspitz is actually higher than Mayrhofen? Anyone else heading that way?
ski holidays
Thanks for the updates hope the slopes are still ok when I get out there
ski holidays
I'm in a loose group of 8 Andy and we're headed home tomorrow, not sure where we'll spend our few hours skiing, I did hear that arena might have the worst snow but not sure and it might be much of a muchness anyway.
snow conditions
Drizzle in Innsbruck. Hopefully it's a dusting on the mountains. Gotta be optimistic. Will explore tomorrow - despite doom mongering elsewhere, there will be snow.
snow report
andy, forgot to remind you before you came down - there is a new speed camera on the approach to Irschenberg (towards Salzburg/Innsbruck). It is in the 120 zone and on the 5th gantry after the start of that section at Weyern. It is an infra-red one so no warning flash as some idiot triggers it in front of you. To be more precise, it is the last overhead gantry at Seehammer See literally about 50m before the Parkplatz. There are cameras overall three lanes as well (before there was only one on the right-hand lane to catch speeding trucks!)

Any other regular commuters from either the UK or Munich Airport in hire cars going to the Inntal or Salzburg, be aware of it! All the locals (RO, TS and MB number plates will slow down most of the time on the approach to that particular gantry! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, thanks for the camera info. I tend to stick to 120 for the entire munich ring / a8 / a93 unless i see 100 signs (descent from Irschenberg is one usually, i think), and make sure the needle is 1kph below on every gantry. I know there are cameras, just not where.
Also more cameras on A12 Kufstein-Innsbruck (had heard rumours), and they flash. Prolly Russians who cant read numbers. 100 zone Kufstein-Zillertal / 110 zone Zillertal-Innsbruck. Never seen that before - only 100 the entire way.
latest report
andy, There is an average speed one on the approach to the Weising turn off for the Zillertal. The other fixed cameras are real cash cows, especially with the the IG-L 100 limit!
snow conditions
Hmmm I think that info is coming a few days late for me but whereabouts should I be worried about the route back from Kaltenbach to munich airport?
latest report
8611, Apart from the cameras on the A12 Inntal Autobahn, there are none on the route back to the airport on the German side that are fixed ones. However, they often have mobile ones on the A93 between Kiefersfelden and Rosenheim - the favourite spots are between Oberaudorf and the Brannenburg exits (the latter is my exit so I tend to notice the blooming things when they are parked in the woods or the lay-bys) and another favourite with the Rosenheim cops is on the actual junction where the A93 meets the A8. The speed limit goes down to 60kmh, but nobody holds to it apart from the trucks, so it is a nice little earner for them! Once you hit Munich, there are a couple of cameras in the overhead gantries on the A99 but as I rarely if ever drive along it I'm not sure where. The Munich cops like to have a mobile camera on the road from the A92 to the airport itself (80kmh) and it is usually a "pay on the spot" one as they know the drivers are often leaving the country!

Contrary to popular belief there are speed limits on German autobahns, but they are rarely fixed ones - the best bet is to keep your eyes open for the speed limits set on the gantries or signs and stick to them. Of course if there are none, then you can floor it! Toofy Grin
snow report
Zell am ziller was a bit scratchy, especially at the end of the day. Nicer higher up, naturally. Gerlos was not bad at all (didn't go right down, cos it will be slush). Königsleiten was good in the Sun.
All good stuff for practicing skills and drills.
ski holidays
Thanks for that Sue, just took it handy so if I get the notice I think it'll be from the way in.

Skied Kaltenbach - hochfugen today, some hard pistes but some soft stuff too. Still enjoyable. Took one off piste excursion on the hochfugen side in the shade and was pleasantly surprised by how soft the snow was, but very few people off piste so I assume that tells the real story. Lots of lines put in since thursday so obviously people did a lot yesterday.

Sunny today but noticeably colder so should bode well for the future. The home run which was surprisingly fun two days ago was probably the worst thing i've ever skied. Complete scratch fest until the last fifth where it turned to brown slush. Should not be open imo. Still plenty of fun to be had up higher though.

I'm off back to the real world - many thanks to all the snow heads on this thread and elsewhere for their help re the zillertal, ill definitely be back and schone ski to anyone still to come.
snow report
I'd never do that home run as a home run. Too slushy and mogully low down, and beginners out of their depth carnage. Do it first thing, and download, IMHO. It's black for a reason.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any updates on how Mayrhofen has done with today's snow?
ski holidays
Looks pretty good on the webcams. The mountains seem to show deeper snow (less of the fence posts above the snow) and the village looks white, compared to the green picture yesterday.

http://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/webcams/c888/ (look at ~9am before the mist rolled in, and compare it to yesterday)
ski holidays
Don't know specifically about Mayrhofen but Hochfügen was great today Very Happy The pistes got bumpy during the day. Off piste was awesome Toofy Grin Saying that, we still had to be a bit careful and watch out for the rocks that were lurking not far below the surface.
snow conditions
How's it looking out here starting to see some brown patches showing still got 2 weeks till I'm there so hopefully some more snow will come
ski holidays
In Hochfügen, the last couple of days were pretty warm which meant the snow became soft during the day. The pistes are still in good condition and off piste is interesting! It was noticeably colder today though and it was snowing at the top when I left. The forecast for the next few days is off and on snow, so hopefully we'll get enough to make a difference.
snow report
Well it snowed half-heartedly all day yesterday in Hochfügen. The result was about 30cm of new snow. As usual the pistes became bumpy as the day went on. Some of the off piste was great and some was err... "interesting". There wasn't enough new snow to completely cover up the old tracks, bumps and crust that had formed since last time it snowed so skiing was sometimes surprising.
I took my camera today as I was sure I would be able to get some amazing photos of snow-laden trees, cloud-filled valleys, perfect fresh tracks and hero snow on piste. Unfortunately, the batteries ran out so there aren't many pictures, but what I took are here: http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.co.at/2014/01/its-been-snowing-again-in-hochfugen.html
ski holidays
Nice pics and keep the snow coming please Smile
snow conditions
Hero snow on piste today and more snow coming tonight and tomorrow. I really want to believe the guy who told me that we would get 1m of snow but I can't because a more reliable source told me it was likely to be 25-30cm. Hey ho!
ski holidays
arriving in resort on saturday so watching the cameras with great interest to see what falls! getting very excited......thanks for the updates saraJ
snow conditions
arriving in resort on saturday so watching the cameras with great interest to see what falls! getting very excited......thanks for the updates saraJ
snow report
Anyone in resort able to give an update? Web cams looked pretty snowy yesterday but Mayrhofen website only reporting 5cm new snow?
latest report
We had about 30cm of new snow in Hochfügen yesterday - I don't know how much Mayrhofen got, though I expect it is probably about the same. The weather forecast was good for today following snowfall yesterday, so it came as no surprise that the obvious off-piste got tracked out pretty quickly this morning. More snow coming tomorrow Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy