Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Historical Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of a website giving free historical (well going back at least 5 years) snow depths for a good range of resorts? Puzzled

I'm looking for exactly the sort of info the Ski Club provided free until it became a members only perk a couple of years ago (now there's only the previous season available).

Would be a big help to me, and hopefully to lots of other forum users given the amount of how-likely-is-there-to-be-snow-at-ResortX-on-dateY discussions we have here.

Thanks In advance....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JimiHendrix - I did not think that the historic snow reports was an exclusive members-only facility. Have a look again and I'll post the link if I find it.

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reports/historical/report.asp?intContactID=44636
got it -
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm logging on as a "Registered User" rather than a Member I'm only getting 1 year's information. Unless I'm being really dim, which wouldn't be the first time. Wink

I'm after at least 5 years' worth if poss.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
here is some info for French resorts between 1990 - 2001

http://www.pistehors.com/resorts/christian-gibert/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-11-05 16:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimiHendrix, statistically you really need a 15-20 year perspective on this. Without wishing to be negative, there was a run of very late winters in the late 1980s/1990 which should be taken account of. We're talking winters when snow conditions across the French Alps (for example) were poor well into February.

These late winters can strike on a pretty random basis and - of course - can affect Austria, Switzerland and Italy too. Then again, you get winters where a run of storms blankets one region but leaves another almost bare.

If you give us a shortlist of resorts you're considering, the combined historical knowledge of this community might be able to steer you in the most reliable direction for snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I assumed that the SkiClub sourced their historical data from somewhere, so it might be conveniently (well not conveniently enough for me to be able to hunt it down so far!) available elsewhere.

It's really just for my general information and interest. Currently, I'm interested in seeing how late the Scandanavian ski season might run to tie up with an April Business trip, and I'd also like to put some stats against altitude and slope direction to see which Austrian resorts hold snow in March. Next month, I'll quite possibly be interested in something else, hence the general enquiry.

I agree that with specific resorts you can't beat personal knowledge. Not least because of the variance and inaccuracy in snow depth reporting between resorts!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JimiHendrix, the ski club will source their data from the tourist offices of the various resorts. I know in our resort there is a dedicated tracking of historical data going back to 1961. What has surprised me has been the wide variance from good years to bad years.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This one gives the last 3 years average, not the 5 you wanted. Just scroll to the country that you want and the week that you want using method 2 and it gives you some ideas.

http://uk.weather.com/activities/recreation/ski/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Ray Zorro

On another note, growing up "Way too low in Hampshire" myself I remember there being several good-enough-for-a-weekend's-sledging snowfalls every year in the late 70's and 80's, even right on the coast. (Lee on Solent Hovercraft slipway being a prime sledging destination). What's happened to all that, I can't remember the last decent South Hampshire snowfall!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimiHendrix, too true. I remember the winter of 81/82 as being the last time that I could go sledging with any real success. At univeristy that year, we had great fun using a glass-fibre rowing boat on a fairly steep hill near Runnymede. It could take about 6 at a time, but steering was a mystical art that we never quite mastered and hitting the trees at the bottom of the hill was an occupational hazard!! Great fun though.

I'm not sure why the "way too low in Hampshire... Grrr!" comes in, I just did it because another snowHead that lives in the same village did it first. I'm actually NE Hampshire.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, Good grief!! I was living in Egham at that time and would probably have been up on the same hill at the same time you were. We did plastic/tin trays purloined from the Beehive.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CP, I was staying at Shoreditch College that year, it was a bit of the hill on the campus. Were you at Royal Holloway or Shoreditich or Brunel or just in the area? There was also a group that were using the roof of a car, that went like a train. I seem to recall that one of the guys on that broke a leg.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, Too thick for University I am afraid Sad I had a house at the back of the high street in The Grove. There were a couple of winters in the early 80's that we managed to a bit of fun on the snow up the hill at Runnymede. This tended to follow a Sunday session in the Beehive so you can imagine the carnage!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimiHendrix, check this out:

http://www.igluski.com/viewSnowHistory.cfm

BTW I thought you were dead! I am a big fan - any chance of you releasing some new material?? Have a word with Elvis too...... Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimiHendrix. Supreme skitarist. His skis used to wail with a sound that no one has ever matched.
ski holidays
Thanks for the link the ice perv. In return I feel fairly sure that the Hendrix Family Estate will be remastering/reordering/repackaging some songs in the near future!

I do sometimes wail on the chairlift if a fellow rider puts the bar up too early - perhaps that's my link to Jimi's guitar wink
ski holidays
One thing on the snow stats - be aware of stats and snow reports in general ! Some of the differences in depths between resorts every winter only proves that the people making the reports don't have a standard for performing the measurement and the difference between resorts reporting literally a few KM away and resorts significantly lower just can't be measuring the same thing - I seem to remember Avoriaz being a little generous! PS I am not talking about the differences due to north/south facing etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy