Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI1 Course Shadowing Beforehand?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm doing a BASI1 course in Hemel Hempstead at the end of May and just a got a couple of quick questions though someone might be able to help me with....
First do the most of people doing this do some shadowing hours before doing the course/if so how many do they tend to do?
I'm pretty confident my skiing standard is above level 1 so not really concerned about that, but Im a bit more worried about not being up to the standard of teaching. I'm guessing this is where most people fall up but not really sure as I've not idea how the course is actually assessed. Any tips for things I need to watch out for would be great, as in what do people do that would mean they wouldn't pass the course?
I'm flying out to Canada a couple of weeks after the course ends so need to make sure I pass 1st time as I wont have the chance to do it again, not that I'd be able to afford to!!
Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowmonkeysnow, welcome to Snowheads.

You don't need to do shadowing before your L1, but any you can do will all help. Don't worry too much about the teaching element of the course, most people will be in the same boat and you will be taught how to teach. Just try to take on board everything you are told.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowmonkeysnow, some will have taught on plastic already.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most people dont shadow before course. As pre course info on basi web site says only shadowing after course counts as you understand concepts after course. As Beanie says no need to worry about teaching as taught on course and most important is to take in feedback and make changes. Hemel do some training evenings and people such as ski definition also do one day pre course. Inside out may also do some training. Would be helpful to practice central theme before course and get any feedback on changes needed to skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowmonkeysnow, welcome to sh's

We are launching a series of instructor training days starting in June that may be of interest to you.
http://www.insideoutskiing.com/inside.html#4
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TTT, Problem with that approach is that if you have not taught on plastic before doing BASI because this is what it enables you to teach on, all you can do is ski like a BASI 1. I am all for teaching with SSE qualification first.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowmonkeysnow, you don't need to shadow beforehand. I did so and I think it helped during my course, as you get some ideas that you can use for the teach element. I definitely think it helps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic, plenty of L1's teach in snowdomes.. The L1 course is an entry level course and although training with another body cant hurt not sure why you would want to start off on a different pathway to get experience...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic, I don't entirely understand your post, but I'm pretty sure I disagree with it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cynic,
Quote:
The Alpine Level 1 Instructor is the entry level course for students who wish to join the BASI Education System. This qualification is for those wishing to find employment in a non mountain environment i.e. Dry Slopes and Indoor Snowslopes

I'm only an L1 and they let me teach indoors!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My daughter did all her shadowing on a dry slope although she'd never skied on one before doing her L1. She'll probably be doing some teaching on plastic too during the summer and next winter.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I guess what Cynic, is getting at is if you've only done snow skiing/training/instructing then go on to use your basi for plastic, you may struggle a little initially, I know quite a few guys that have done sse then gone on to do various basi levels, it's not really hurt them (maybe a little financially) although the other option is to do what Claude B's daughter did, Basi indoors then shadow on plastic. Of course if you're looking to use your basi just for snow then all of this is irrelevant! Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B, cross post.... rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This was the first time she'd ever skied on plastic, not too shabby

Tallington
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm guessing this is where most people fall up

I did hear of one chap, very experienced skier, who was told his snowplough was rubbish, and well below the standard required. wink
ski holidays
Not sure what cynic's point was to be honest but think all types of training can benefit and good to get different perspectives from different organisations. Would agree shadowing before not necessary but helpful. I think Hemel and pre-instructor courses are also good and can also say that I did my L1 with someone who had done some preparation with insideout and they were very well prepared for the course.
snow report
Quote:

I did my L1 with someone who had done some preparation with insideout and they were very well prepared for the course.

Cool Cool Cool proud parents today as two of our regulars got their L2 passes in Tux Friday snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Quote:

I did hear of one chap, very experienced skier, who was told his snowplough was rubbish, and well below the standard required.

Doesn't surprise me. I think this is what a lot of otherwise experienced skiers find hard when starting instructor qualifications. You can be a great skier, but being able to demonstrate a good snowplough isn't something you'll necessarily be familiar with, but as an L1 instructor you need to have this nailed as you'll be doing it pretty much every lesson.

Also, the skills learnt doing a great snowplough can really help your high-end skiing.
snow report
skimottaret, good news, are they snowheads and would they share what training they did and how they found the course and/or resit L2 week do you reckon?
snow conditions
My point really was to have done enough teaching before being unleashed on the unsuspecting public.
ski holidays
kitenski, I did my L2 a few years ago; what do you want to know?
latest report
Thanks for all the advice thats good to hear that shadowing isnt really essential as my university finals finish 4 days before the BASI course starts so realistically it'd be a bit of a struggle to get any shadowing hours in!
Also another quick question, I've been told by Whistler ski school that they will accept BASI1 as an alternative to CASI1 (hence why I'm doing the course so I can hopefully teach out in Canada next winter). Slightly confused by this though as I thought the BASI1 was only for teaching on plastic/snowdome... but the lady I spoke to was pretty certain that BASI1 if fine so does it work differently out there? Can they just decide to employ who they like and the qualifications are more of a guide than a necessary certification to teach
snow conditions
scooby_simon, Trying to find someone whose done the L2 week resit, not the full 2 weeks......
ski holidays
Ahh; 3 of the team at Hemel passed in 'Tux last week, can pick their brains when they get home; what do you want to know?
snow conditions
kitenski, I would ask a trainer what is expected of you, there is one obvious one on SH, you could PM him for advice. (Obviously keeping it short and course specific, not on individual needs)
ski holidays
Cynic I would agree that 35 hours shadowing post level 1 should be the absolute minimum. And then I think you should do some supervised lessons after that.
snow report
scooby_simon, thanks - would like to know what folk failed on, what training they did pre re-sit and some info about what was done during the week? I'm assuming the actual tech resit is cycling thru longs, shorts, bump and variables...

Cynic, no idea who the BASI trainer is on here Embarassed , perhaps you could PM me if you don't want to reply publically??

thanks both!

Greg
latest report
kitenski, offpisteskiing is a Trainer, as is PSG.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well you learn something every day, cheers rob@rar,
ski holidays
kitenski, as far as I know they arent SH's but happy ski bunnies none the less

Cynic, What would you say should be the reqd minimum before an instructor is unleashed on the unsuspecting public? Is 35 hours plus a 5 day course not enough? I am curious what SSE minimums are..

snowmonkeysnow, I could be wrong but in Canada there is no legal requirement to be qualified as an instructor to teach so the BASI L1 although designed to be an closed environment license shows some training as gives you a leg up on the hiring ladder....

kitenski, at least one other trainer posts here but doesnt want to be known...
latest report
skimottaret

I believe (but am open to correction and would welcome it) that Cynic is pointing out that the BASI 35 hours does not require the trainee to deliver teaching.

The current SSE minima are 20 hours of direct instruction for level 1 and level 2. The level 1 was recently made more stringent so that the candidate must teach directly for a large proportion of the twenty hours (more than half ?). All teaching for these two levels must be directly supervised by a qualified teacher who is present throughout the lesson. Typically the candidate will assist on the first few lessons and then take over the lead role.

As I understand it, it might be possible for a BASI candidate to qualify at level 1 without ever having delivered a lesson and to count hours doing slope inspections, slope supervision, taking in house training etc. I say 'in theory' because I have never met a BASI instructor who wasn't keen to teach and teach well.

Would a ski school allow someone to just turn up with a new BASI 1 licence and allow them to teach straight away without looking at their log book and assessing their teaching skills ? I don't know.

If anything I have said above is incorrect, you may flame me.
ski holidays
thirty06, You have eloquently expressed the post I was about too.
snow report
I agree that the 35 hours should be actually shadowing lessons rather than something else although this is recommended and that there should also be a period of supervised teaching. The SSE system does sound better to be honest.
snow report
I think the other significant different between BASI and SSE is that with SSE you do the training course, then the shadowing hours, then you have an assessment after that. I think (though others may be able to correct me) the BASI system has the shadowing hours after the combined training course and assessment. If you're assessed after you've done the shadowing hours, and that assessment includes an element of how to teach, then it should be blindingly obvious if each candidate has done enough shadowing or supervised teaching, and that should be reflected in the pass/fail. The necessary minimum number of hours will vary between candidates - someone who already has some teaching experience for example, will likely need much less than someone who has never done anything like it before - so having a minimum number of hours doesn't seem all that helpful.

I think I totalled around 60 hours of shadowing and supervised teaching for my L1, mainly because by then I was already hooked and wanted to do it well rather than just pass.

What I find interesting is how few instructors carry on with the shadowing and supervised teaching after they're qualified.
ski holidays
kieranm wrote:
What I find interesting is how few instructors carry on with the shadowing and supervised teaching after they're qualified.
Agree. I continue to shadow instructors that I'm keen to learn from. It's a great way to reflect on your own practice and pick up some new ideas.
latest report
thirty06, I think your right in that theoretically the Hours requirement isnt soley teaching hours but working in rental, ski school ops, etc can count but in practice i havent seen anyone not do the bulk of their hours on the slope delivering lessons. I personally think a few hours setting up equipment, understanding slope maintenence etc is good but teaching should be the vast majority of time spent. I also agree that a log book is better and just submitting a signed list of dates and hours worked could be improved on...

Cynic, I honestly didnt get where you were coming from , didnt mean to "flame" anyone snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy