Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

compression base layers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else have any experience of these. We used skins snow compression base layers this year for the first time. Very comfortable, felt very supportive and gave the impression that we really could ski for longer. However, on lazier days or on our local hills (max vertical descent about 300m) it got very cold. I have come across one other review that says a similar thing about another brand. Before I start looking for or buy a new base layer, I would be interested in other peoples experiences and recommendations of compression base layers that really do keep you warm.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used skins snow leggings for maybe 10 years. They're great for your muscles but I wouldn't call them a thermal base layer. I think most compression layers are a mixture of nylon and spandex (skins are 85% nylon 15% spandex) which are not warm fabrics. In cold weather I wear merino 3/4 leggings on top of them.

What I find makes a difference to how they feel in a cold wind is whether your ski trousers have a soft brushed lining or a smooth, shiny nylon/polyester finish. Trousers with the latter feel much colder than the former, even though they have the same insulation and wind/waterproof ratings.

There are some EC3D leggings on Sport Pursuit at the moment http://www.sportpursuit.com/brand/EC3D that look interesting. Some of them have merino blended in and their tests reckon they have a higher compression rating than skins. I would expect the merino to give a warmer feel but I'm not sure how durable they'd be. If you try them give us some feedback!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite a few wear Skins in too larger size, correctly sized I would never think an insulation layer, but comfy when warm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
deutschski, I wore 3/4 skins compression tights this season and found them really helpful for thigh muscles and my knee. It has to be pretty cold for me to wear thermal leggings under insulated ski pants so mostly ok temp wise for me.

Raceplate, they look interesting.

Cynic, not sure why people would wear Skins in a larger size? Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also wore Skins 3/4 tights at Easter. I found them very comfy and very supportive and was surprised how much better they felt than my regular thermals. However on occasions my legs did feel colder than usual. These were just normal Skins, not the Skins Snow. I might do as Raceplate suggests and put the Icebreakers over the top in cold weather or investigate some warmer compression tights, those on Sportpursuit do look interesting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I used skins top and leggings. I did try thermals over the skins on one minus 15 (at the start of the day) day in february but I found this restrictive so I didn't repeat it. As I said in the first post, I was not always cold. It was only on days with long lift queues, so lots of hanging around, or very lazy days. The other time I did notice it was after skiing and walking around town. When skiing long or fast and steep, they were great. It was only really on very cold, or lazy days I felt they were cold. I am researching other options and x bionics look interesting too, but it would be great if anyone had used them so could give an opinion, especially given the price.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy