Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A bizarre article about portable ski lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It's been some time since we had an article from the amusingly eccentric 'BellaOnline - the voice of women'.

Here's their skiing editor Joe Collvins voicing the advantages of 'The Portable Ski Lift':
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art37153.asp
Quote:
The Portable Ski Lift will tow one skier at a time at a speed 11 to 18 miles an hour and is capable of around 150 lifts an hour. It is powered by a 5 to 5.5 HP gasoline model engine by Briggs and Stratton and idles at a speed of 3 to 5 mph until the skier grabs the rope. Then the engine automatically switches to a higher speed taking the skier quickly up the hill. When the skier releases the rope, the engine returns to idling.

Quote:
The Portable Ski Lift has been shown to be quite safe but is not recommended for use by children under 12. The uses for this device are widely varied and I think that it might be a great tool for skiers with a handicap.

Err ... has this man ever experienced the pleasures of the rope tow?
Here it is: http://www.skilift.nashacanada.com
Comments from handicapped skiers welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This pic's on the manufacturer's web page.

What's he doing? Taking it for a walk?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, yes I have had the pleasure of of using a tow rope once while tubing. I kind of thought it was it was a rather fun experience. As for handicapped skiers using it, why not? I did not specify what type of handicap but if the scenario were such that a family had a 16 year old who had never been able to ski due to a ski lift being too difficult for them to navigate, either in getting on or getting off, then if this would work in some way, why not? I have seen blind people and quadriplegics ski with the right equipment and help at Winter Park, Colorado. Perhaps the scenario might be a burn victim or something else that has altered the persons looks to an extent that makes that person not want to go out to public places to ski and this could give them another alternative. I was just putting my thought out there. I also know that this equipment is generally safe even for ages under 12 IF they are properly supervised. Even a ski lift can be a hazard to a young person with no experience and even to some with experience as I have also seem some young hot shots take a dare to jump off the ski lift. But I do like your comments. Gives me another angle to look at it from. And I do have to admit that a tow rope is not the most pleasant way to get up a hill but it is a way to get up there when there isnt another way Smile . Maybe they would use it for their own private tubing area. Who Knows. Since I would never recommend that any person (handicapped or not) go somewhere alone and ski without anyone else around I certainly would not expect people with certain handicaps to be able to set one of these up. That wasn't the point. The point is skiing/ snowboarding/ tubing or any sport can be accessable by just about anyone to enjoy given the right equipment and help. Anyway, thanks for the questions and though I dont have all the answers, it gives me something to think about. Joe
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Briggs and Stratton immediately run alarm bells for me... it is a lawnmower!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, they make much more than just lawn mower motors but I see the point. I did go skiing a few years agp in Colorado and they had so little snow that year that we had grassy patches to get across so maybe a little mower wouldnt be bad at times lol.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
they used to put up a portable rope tow on the Hayfield at the bottom of Cairngorm if there was too much wind up the mountain (always assuming there was enough snow of course). It was so much better teaching beginners down there compared to the mountain. Very Happy Got a bit crowded though, and you could easily queue for half an hour or more to get towed up 200m. Shock
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy