Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Gap Year Course?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks - I've come to the conclusion that the best (and the most fun) way to get myself a decent start on the ski-instruction ladder is doing a gap year course for a season. I'm looking to do one when I finish Uni in two years, by which point (if all goes to plan) I'll have finished my degree in outdoor leadership and worked a couple of summer seasons as a mountain bike guide in the Alps.

I've taken a look at a few courses - a friend of mine has done her BASI II with these folks, and said it was an excellent experience. I really like the look of that place but I know there are a plethora of courses out there on offer so some advice on good ones would be amazing, personal experience would be even better Very Happy

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rasmanisar, yep they're good - but also try SMS in Crans, just over the valley from Verbier - much cheaper living and now a great hard-core scene growing, including summer downhill mountain biking and the chance to join some proper racing during the My Lachaux weekend - see

http://www.sms04.ch/index.php/en/sms-snow-academy/sms-ski-academy-

pm me for further inside info on this academy. I'd recommend it...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2 wrote:
rasmanisar, yep they're good - but also try SMS in Crans, just over the valley from Verbier - much cheaper living and now a great hard-core scene growing, including summer downhill mountain biking and the chance to join some proper racing during the My Lachaux weekend - see

http://www.sms04.ch/index.php/en/sms-snow-academy/sms-ski-academy-

pm me for further inside info on this academy. I'd recommend it...

That looks like a good option too - somewhat cheaper, and of course the opportunity to work and gain experience is a really big swinging factor. I'll have to do some more research...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also know some people who have done their course with various people including WS. Very mixed feedback. Verbier is a great place to do the course and for future work opportunities if you really intend to take it further. Downsides is that Switzerland is very expensive especially with exchange rate at the moment. I would also look to do a course which is run by BASI trainers as these people are also examiners who know exactly what is required and are qualified and trained to the highest level. BASI website is best place to start to look for courses. Also worth considering doing the level 1 in the UK in advance from a training and financial perspective and also finding best places to do GAP course.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice. Switzerland is definitely more expensive than other places - another friend of mine is doing his snowboard qualifications in Andorra in a couple of years, and there you're looking at £4500 including self catering accommodation - however, I want to go for the best, not the cheapest. I'll be saving for this over the next couple of years, and I'd rather spend more and give myself a better start in my future career than spend less and miss out on opportunities - might as well spend more and get the best coaching available. BASI 1 in the UK is definitely a possibility, I can do it at the ChillFactore in Manchester as I live relatively close to it (Peak District) for £500 or so - I'm not sure if this would be worthwhile or not? It seems wise. There's also a distinct possibility that I could get funding from my University towards it, provided I got a group of people involved.

Certainly food for thought.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree long term it is better to go for best rather than cheapest. The costs of the courses in Verbier are comparable but it is just the other costs of going out/food etc which can be extortionate from my own and friends experience of doing course. If you do want the best coaching then consider who is actually taking the course and whether they are BASI trainers as some providers use cheaper lower qualified instructors. Doing your BASI 1 in the UK is cheaper as less add on costs and you will be taken by a BASI trainer who cam tell you where oyu are at and what you need to work on and also advise on level 2 options. You can still do a GAP course as I'm sure most providers will be happy to tailor the course for you. I think the only down side would be not going through a whole GAP course experience as a Group but level 1 is at start anyway.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you do a Gap course in France, you'll be taught by BASI L4 instructors (possibly trainers), wheras you are more likely to be taught by L3 instructors in Switzerland.

It will probably be cheaper to do it yourself rather than pay to do a Gap course, they are big money-earners for ski schools and BASI. But for convenience they are pretty good if you can afford it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont know if you are exclusively looking for courses to do in Europe, but i have just returned from Canada on a course this year and cant speak highly enough about it. Worked out really well for me as it included a job with a the ski school as soon as i was qualified which has really opened up doors in the sense that ive now been invited to come back and work for them again next year which is obviously a big plus id say. feel free to PM if you want any more details.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think my main incentive for going for a season course is that aside from the qualifications and the experience, you get a really high level of coaching that can be custom tailored to your needs, plus job opportunities, contacts and references etc. I'll have to check what level of instructors are taking which courses, of course I'd like the best standard possible. As I say, this is basically my career (along with my mountain biking and climbing), so I really want to give myself a fighting chance of getting to the top of the food chain on the instructor ladder (high hopes I know, but I like to aim for the top!).

@bdonkadonk - I've checked out Canada, and whilst I love the country, I've always had an affection for Europe, and I'd like to challenge myself with another language, plus the cost of travel to Canada is another major blow. I definitely want to work and ski in Canada in the future though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In your position with 2 years to go, as long as your skiing is up to it, I'd do L1 this summer in the UK and L2 at Hintertux next summer or the one after. It would cost far less and you'd be able to try for a job, in Switzerland perhaps, straight after university.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
In your position with 2 years to go, as long as your skiing is up to it, I'd do L1 this summer in the UK and L2 at Hintertux next summer or the one after. It would cost far less and you'd be able to try for a job, in Switzerland perhaps, straight after university.

The only thing is I'm not sure if my skiing will be completely up to the level required yet Confused I mean, my speed and confidence on powder, piste, moguls etc is just fine, but I'm sure I need to work on body position etc as I'm mostly self taught - I'm just lucky enough that, due to a number of factors (naturally good balance, my MTB experience, a slight recklessness), I've progressed very quickly, but I'm sure there is plenty I can improve upon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rasmanisar, A lot of the indoor slopes do L1 preps. You could get an assessment from a BASI trainer of your skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If not done a lot of technical training then think that you are right that a GAP course would probabably be preferable and also a lot of fun. Still recommended that you have 16 weeks experience although 8-10 maybe enough if you are young, fit with natual flair but should be comfrotable sking the fall line on blacks and off-piste. The standard required is on BASI youtube. Suspect you would be fine though. Would echo that worth spending time with a BASI triainer on an assessment day as a number of the GAP providers do courses at the indoor centres in the summer where you can get some training and feedback. Not only an opportunity to see where you are at but also for you to assess where to spend your money. Personally never had a a bad BASI trainer but there are of course personality/style preferences. You could even then do your level 1 and do some shadowing and even get some work and see how you like it. I don't personally see anything wrong with doing an instructor course as the majority of Gapers to improve skiing but really important to see if you actually enjoy instructing. The "what ski instructors really do" is very true. Ski instructing is a lot more about client care of kids and adults than it is about skiing and it is tough to make a living out of it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rasmanisar, if your skiing is as you describe you should easily pass L1 and IMV spending time abroad to do it is a waste of time and money.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd definitely recommend getting your skiing checked out though. My daughter did her L1 last year soon after her 16th and as a couple of good British instructors told her she'd walk it we didn't get hers checked out. On the course she had to make some adjustments to her stance which she found quite difficult, although she passed it made the course more stressful for her.
ski holidays
You really do need to think about which country you wish to teach in. You say Europe... The French system and Italians are quiet a long haul imho. The Swiss and Austrians wish you to go through parts of their systems, on top of any BASI training and qualifications...as well as learning their language and being able to speak and teach technically in their Language. Speaking their Language is very important in gaining employment. Also consider once you're over 30 ish you have to consider sponsered work visas in many countries.

Getting your level 2 is relatively easy over a gap year course... it's your next level that is your most important imho. Getting level 3 isn't so easy and demands hard work. Once you get it, it will open up more doors. Each nations systems are different, it's worth studying these, not just the Gap year course provider. Really consider which Nations system/qualifications you wish to study and gain...there is a lot of difference.

I went down the Canadian route. I wanted to work their, which I do and all French language comes in handy, it's not essential if you work on the West Coast. Also able to work in Oz and NZ in the southern hemisphere winter season.

Also being dual certified really helps with gaining employment. Getting qualifications in Snowboarding, Racing, Disabled, Telemarking etc all really help.

Good luck with what ever you choose... and really think hard about which system you wish to continue studying in... it makes a big difference.

You'll have a blast wherever you choose.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
I'd definitely recommend getting your skiing checked out though. My daughter did her L1 last year soon after her 16th and as a couple of good British instructors told her she'd walk it we didn't get hers checked out. On the course she had to make some adjustments to her stance which she found quite difficult, although she passed it made the course more stressful for her.

This is also very important and something you really need to think about.
You would think Internationally we would all Ski the same way...but we don't.
Check out the Interski videos of each of the Nations Skiing styles... you'll soon realise they all ski differently and have different ethos.
You will be required to learn and Ski that Nations 'way'.
You will be representing that Nations Association and will be required to 'look' their way.
I know people who went part way through their BASI qualifications and really struggled to adapt to other associations 'ways' when they changed.
For example, i struggled to start with when adapting to the CSIA way. I had to get much taller in the ankle. Apparantly I 'naturally' Ski like an Italian Shocked Laughing Whatever that means... but it was pointed out to me and it made sense.
You also have to believe in that Associations ethos in the way they Ski and teach... they are all different.
It's a bit of a minefield when you get into it.
latest report
Very much agree that worth thinking about where you want to work, considering doing the local qualification and the importance of language skills. Not convinced about national differences in skiing. I think there are some style differences in technique and teaching but skiing is skiing. I asked the same question of BASI trainers and they do not see any fundamental differences between nations. The feedback I get from a BASI trainer and an Austrian Staatlicher Geprüft are exactly the same. Agree worth doing pre-instructor training indoors even if do GAP course later.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Very much agree that worth thinking about where you want to work, considering doing the local qualification and the importance of language skills. Not convinced about national differences in skiing. I think there are some style differences in technique and teaching but skiing is skiing. I asked the same question of BASI trainers and they do not see any fundamental differences between nations. The feedback I get from a BASI trainer and an Austrian Staatlicher Geprüft are exactly the same. Agree worth doing pre-instructor training indoors even if do GAP course later.

Obviously the fundementals are the same, but each Association has different methods of teaching and reasons for doing so.
I know a lad that went through the BASI system and really struggled to adapt his skiing to another Nations system. He could Ski...but not in the way they wanted him too. He couldn't demonstrate properly and was the only one to fail his level 2 from a group of 27 students.

You only have to look at the technical comparisons videos from the Interki Congress to see each Nations 'individual' styles.
The basic Intermediate parrallel turn example video shows it very clearly... All doing the same shape turn at the same speed but all different...and it's those differences an association would wish you to demonstrate 'their' way.
For example if I skied like the Japs and Swedes in this video I would definately fail a Level 2 exam.

http://youtube.com/v/3YdJqoDM4xo&playnext=1&list=PL80F1EDA906428EBE&feature=results_main
snow conditions
I'd agree with spud. From an outsider's perspective there's no such thing as best. Most people who do gap courses seem to have a whale of a time. Some I suspect learn and progress more than others, some like having their bottom wiped for them, others could probably have made similar progress in a less structured environment with suitable guidance and direction.

It more comes down to where you want to be, where you'd like to make contacts e.g. with potential future employers, how much you realistically need to develop, how many bits of candy you want thrown into the package(e.g. catskiing) etc etc,
ski holidays
spud, did you end up taking your L3, if so how did it go? Plans for summer!?

I'm really not sure where the best gap course is, it's really going to depend on where you want to teach and also where you'd like to train for a season. Honestly if you are athletic and motivated where you get your L2 won't matter too much. I was in a similar boat to you, had skied six weeks spread over 8 years before taking a 6 week training course for my L2, just scraped through, but have still made skiing into my career.
snow conditions
Interesting Spud - not seen that particular vid before and agree with your observations. They are doing lower level demo turns and I think there iwould be less difference if they were skiing more naturally. BASI is more principle based rather then demonstrating a fixed style as the style of BASI trainers is different but the fundamentals are always there. I would have thought though a good skier should be able to adapt and also get a job in another country if they have the required qualifications. Having the local qualification and language skills will make it easier though. ALso agree with fatbob and CLaudB above.

I'd be asking what are the qualifications of the instructors, is there a personality fit, what job opportunities can they offer me, and what fits with my language skills and where do I fancy being.
latest report
TTT wrote:
Interesting Spud - not seen that particular vid before and agree with your observations. They are doing lower level demo turns and I think there iwould be less difference if they were skiing more naturally. BASI is more principle based rather then demonstrating a fixed style as the style of BASI trainers is different but the fundamentals are always there. I would have thought though a good skier should be able to adapt and also get a job in another country if they have the required qualifications. Having the local qualification and language skills will make it easier though. ALso agree with fatbob and CLaudB above.

I'd be asking what are the qualifications of the instructors, is there a personality fit, what job opportunities can they offer me, and what fits with my language skills and where do I fancy being.

Have a go at looking at all the comparison videos by watching through the youtube link...there are loads....all very revealing. Razz
Here for example is the 'Free run'...is that what you mean from 'more natural'?
All these Instructors are chosen by their Associations to represent them at the Interski Congress which happens every 4 years. In an effort to exchange ideas between affiliated nations. They are generally seen as their best Instructors at demonstrating that associations ski 'style'.

http://youtube.com/v/LEGbfm5DUmI&list=PL80F1EDA906428EBE

Jimmer...didn't take the level 3 this season, was too busy giving lessons rolling eyes and didn't get enough practice in the bumps and POW. Hoping to do it next season... I turned down 2 Instructing jobs in the Southern Hemisphere as i'm staying in Canada for the summer, as I wish to get residency and you have to get so many months work in the country to apply for that.
Are you off to Chile again? Hope Japan was good for you. Razz
latest report
spud, well, that's certainly not the worst problem you could have on your first season! Good to hear you got some jobs, and I guess you must have really liked Canada to want to stay.

Yeah I'll be back to Chile. Japan went well up to March, then I broke my hand and hand to come home for an operation, which sucked pretty hard. Getting over it now though. Can't wait to get back on skis.
snow report
Thanks Spud - some nice skiing there. Not sure we really disagree. The fundamentals of posture, balance and movements are basically the same but there are obviously some style difference just as there are style differences between individuals of any nation. Should only be an issue if a particular nation is hung up on a particular style as apposed to demonstrating good fundamentals. I fully agree with your basic point about thinking about where you want to work and doing the local qualification. A Brit though without a strong racing background isn't going to be able to enter the instruction system in Italy or France by passing the speed test. The Austrian Anwärter system is a possibility if German is up to it and would guarantee some basic work. Canadian or NZ systems would also be a good idea if you want to work there. For a Brit without language skills or a strong racing background wishing to work in Europe I would have thought BASI is a good option though?
ski holidays
jimmer wrote:
spud, well, that's certainly not the worst problem you could have on your first season! Good to hear you got some jobs, and I guess you must have really liked Canada to want to stay.

Yeah I'll be back to Chile. Japan went well up to March, then I broke my hand and hand to come home for an operation, which sucked pretty hard. Getting over it now though. Can't wait to get back on skis.

Oh bug... forgot you bust your hand. Hope the Op went well and you're back to full fitness. Have a blast in Chile... Cool
Yes very lucky with Lessons...ran off my feet tbh... very full days.
Spoke to a lot of Instructors at other resorts and they were only getting 3hrs a day on average. Shocked So i'm well happy.
Getting residency will help with the visa situation... so i'm not worried about working the summer in Canada as it will to go towards getting it.
I'm also itching to get back on skis...so the summer maybe long, although hoping to get to NZ for a couple of months, to scratch that itch.
All in all, the first season teaching was a very fast learning curve...hense why suggesting certain things in this thread. Amazing what you learn so quickly...
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Thanks Spud - some nice skiing there. Not sure we really disagree. The fundamentals of posture, balance and movements are basically the same but there are obviously some style difference just as there are style differences between individuals of any nation. Should only be an issue if a particular nation is hung up on a particular style as apposed to demonstrating good fundamentals. I fully agree with your basic point about thinking about where you want to work and doing the local qualification. A Brit though without a strong racing background isn't going to be able to enter the instruction system in Italy or France by passing the speed test. The Austrian Anwärter system is a possibility if German is up to it and would guarantee some basic work. Canadian or NZ systems would also be a good idea if you want to work there. For a Brit without language skills or a strong racing background wishing to work in Europe I would have thought BASI is a good option though?

Nothing wrong with BASI at all... although imho, it's a bit of a money pit with all the modules you have to do to keep climbing up the system.
There are a few 'Gap year' courses that include language lessons in their schedule...good if considering Austria or Switzerland.
Ski Schools will take you on with other qualifications... but you really do need to speak their language.
For example i got offered 3 jobs in Europe after passing my level 2 CSIA, but I can't speak German so had to decline them.
Languages in Europe is a must...
snow report
Wow, so much information to take in! Languages and the varying qualifications are some of the pitfalls of Europe in my mind - I just like it as it is closer to family. I think I would want to work in Switzerland in all honesty - I used to think France but after some research it seems that they're so bloody militant when it comes to their qualifications and who they let work there that I was really put off. Canada might be worth some serious consideration though, I'll see about CSIA training and what that involves. French would be the easiest language for me to develop to fluency as I already have passable conversational French. Canada is also a good bet for my mountain biking which is obviously going to play a role in my choice of location

I am completely sure I want this though. I understand that the job is not just 'all skiing', but the way I see it, it is the best way to make skiing a career for myself, and from my experience working in other things such as mountain biking and climbing, I enjoy the interaction with people and teaching them Smile I've got no illusions about it being an easy job, but if it was then it wouldn't be worth it! Very Happy

Fortunately in terms of improving my skills, I have plenty of time to do it before I leave Uni. My issue is that I developed my skiing by watching other people as I'm a very visual learner, so I'm still learning terms for skills and then realising I can do them - an entertaining example is that I learnt to carve before I knew what carving actually was - I just copied the techniques of people going fast on the slope, and only realised afterwards what I'd been doing. I've done a bit of video analysis of my stance in turns, and it seems pretty solid other than I need to bring my skis a little closer together, and make sure to push my thighs forwards. I also noticed this year in Tignes that I occasionally lean back unnecessarily, which was causing me problems on steep powder and off piste runs - I corrected this though and immediately felt the difference, so I was pleased with that.

I'll have to have a solid read through this post again and reply to some of the other things, as I've only covered a small part of the advice you've given, but might I just say how much I appreciate it - quality advice is a rare and treasured gift!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spud makes a very good point about languages. I know people who have got work without language skills but they acknowledge it has limited their employment opportunities and their hours outside of peak weeks. A friends first comment after doing the WS gap course in Verbier was that she needed to learn french if she wanted to take it further there even though she is already fluent in English and German. The ski instructor market is becoming more accessible but also more competitive for Brits. It is not the skiing skills which will differentiate but language skills. Although the younger continental generation are fluent in English they still prefer to speak their native language which means it is necessary to do an interview, instruct and amuse your clients in the local language. The current level 3 language test is minimal but increasingly getting work will depend on language skills . Language will effectively be the new Euro speed test. It normally takes about an equivalent of a years full time study to develop basic fluency. My German is about A level standard and I know that is simply not good enough to get me a job. My skiing will never be anywhere near as good as someone who has grown up in the mountains so I know if I want to take ski instructing further I need to work as hard on my language skills as my skiing as that is the one thing which will differentiate me from the dozens of aspiring Brit ski instructors. Not only getting a job but being able to chat fluently with the locals makes the whole experience far easier and more enjoyable. It is also simply polite and respectful. I would definitely keep going with a language that you are already familar with as that gives you a head start and have a plan to improve.

I think Verbier is certainly a good option apart from cost. It seems this is the most popular market for level 2/3s. As said previously look for qualifications of the GAP provider and I would also look for someone who gives me real shadowing with beginners in a ski school rather than just following around the providers own lessons as this will give you better work experience and more future work opportunities. Some providers are noticeable by their abscence from the list of BASI business partners.

Also some kind of the much debated speed test is not going to go away so it is worth thinking about joining a ski club for race training. Pre-instructor training at an indoor slope would also be woth considering. The more you can build your CV the better.

Final part of pontification. I don't choose my trainer on their sking or instructing ability. That is a given. I choose them on their people skills.

Just my view based on my own experience but suggest you chat to as many others who have gone through the process. Hence ski club and pre-instructor training will help. Not sure anyone can say who the best provider is though as people will have only used one GAP provider and will not be able to compare and will naturally justify their own decision.
snow conditions
TTT, " I don't choose my trainer on their sking or instructing ability. That is a given. I choose them on their people skills." I couldn't agree with you more. Of course I want someone who CAN teach me to ski, but what I really want is someone who understands that this is my holiday, I am in the mountains to have fun and their job is not really to teach me to ski, but to help me to have fun and enrich my holiday. It helps if they are female and attractive too!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy