Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

~100mm skis for a european off-piste biased one ski quiver.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Im looking to buy my first pair of skis, having been on rentals for a very long time. I'm 20, 6' 1" and 80kg, i like to skis fast and hard but enjoy playing around on off piste features. I'm looking for a twin tip all mountain ski that will will stand up to being pushed hard whilst remaining playful enough to be able to have fun doing a few 180's and 360's. Because there isnt much powder in europe i'm skeptical about going to wide becuase although im off-piste as much as I can there isn't always enough snow and as i dont get many days skiing each year I want to have fun on those days too. I hardly ever go in the park so im not really worried about how the ski performs there.

My shortlist is:

Black Crows Navis
Armarda TST
Salomon S3 - worried about them being too soft
Moment PB&J
Line Blends
K2 Kung Fujas
Salomon shogun

I know some of these skis aren't being reintroduced next year so if anyone knows what they are being replaced i'd love to know.

Any advice is welcomed on which skis would be good and in regards to what you think a good waist width would be for me.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tested the Navis, found it brilliant in trees, bumps, piste and powder. The only ski I liked slightly better was the twin tipped Nordica Enforcer. Very similar, a touch lighter but 98mm underfoot so I ended up buying that I was in Cham testing skis when I was in the market for them, there is an old thread on it somewhere. Although something like slalom skis are more fun on a hard piste unless it's really icy underfoot I found no problems with fatter skis apart from limiting rapid short turns. For a one ski quiver something around 100mm seems perfect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There ya go...

Black Crow Navis – 175.7cm, 20m radius, sidecut 133-103-124

This ski simply blew me away. For a fairly fat ski it handled moguls well and didn’t seem to require any extra effort to get it over onto the edge. Actually, it could turn on a sixpence and rapid changes of direction off piste were a doddle. At speed on the groomed piste it held it’s line well, yet it cut though frozen crud and boiler plate as if it wasn’t there. The ski does require commitment and you need to keep the aggression levels up a touch to get the best from it. The only downside to me was it’s weight (just over 5kg a pair). This meant that by the end of the day when I was feeling tired I had to concentrate on my lines quite a bit… this ski likes some forceful input. A more accomplished skier than myself who likes gnarly couloirs would find this ski perfect.

Nordica Enforcer - 177cm, 19m radius, sidecut 135-98-125

What can I say? To sum it up… delightful!!! I hadn’t put this one down on my list to try but this was the one ski which seemed to cope with every condition and then leave you with a wide ear to ear grin at the bottom of a run. I managed to get in a whole series of moguls in a nice straight line, then carve at speed down hard groomers, then take on bumpy tight steeps through trees and with every turn the ski seemed to be lending a helping hand. The twin tip tail brought the ski around a turn with minimal effort and absorbed jump landings perfectly. It was a little more forgiving than the Navis which meant that when you were tired you could relax a touch and it wouldn’t catch you out. I actually managed to make several consecutive turns skiing backwards on this model… it also flicks round with minimal effort when you want to change back.

Volkl Mantra - 177cm, 20.3m radius, sidecut 133-96-116

I can’t really say anything bad about this ski but I just didn’t enjoy skiing it at all. OK… fast carved turns were fantastic but the stiffer flex didn’t work for me in tight spaces, and on the moguls and steeps the semi straight tail seemed to catch and hold the turn for too long thus preventing me from making sudden direction changes. Not having a proper twin tipped configuration also caused a slight problem in a steep section of bumps and trees. I had attempted to reverse a bit to make room for a turn after taking a look at a possible line, and one tail jammed into a mound of soft snow and neatly tipped me over. Probably it needed a heavier or more aggressive skier than myself to get the most out of it... for me though it just didn’t work.

So what did I choose? The Enforcer twin. It just hits every nail I have right on the head. Some may prefer a longer radius for stability in powder, but in my opinion that would limit the ski for use in bumps and for messing about in the park. How a 98mm waisted ski can be so quick and playful on the groomed piste is simply beyond me. A true one quiver ski.

A very close second (such a difficult choice it was too) was the Navis. Maybe in a few years when I can get the most out of them I may get a pair. I’d be happy to ski on these any day though.

Two other skis I have enjoyed on previous demo's were the Head Mojo 90 and the Liberty Hazmat in 94mm waist.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the advice,

I cant find a twin tip ski called the enforcer from nordica, is it the same thing as the soul rider?
http://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/products/soul-rider/?target=back
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Add to that the Salomon Q105; Rossi Soul 7, both 105mm in the waist but very accessible all round skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
loudyboy,

http://www.nordica.com/uk-ireland/products/enforcer-ti/?target=back
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lynx form Idris Skis - sorry for the self promotion but this ski really does tick all your boxes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How do you think the Salomons Q105 and the Rossi Soul 7 will compare to the other skis like the black crows, the enforcers and the TST's?
They look to be a similar shape to the the TST's, looking at pictures I cant really tell what their tails are like. What do you think they will be like for landing backwards?

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
loudyboy, test test test
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Salomon shoguns are a great ski in spring conditions, a bit cumbersome on icy midwinter pistes, nice and solid on the steeps and predictable on the off piste. In powder they make me grin but I also have a pair of line mr pollard opus which usually get first dibs on the fresh stuff. Less than regular skiers might want something with a bit of tail rocker to help with manoeuvrability in the bumps. But if you like skiing soft snow of all types the shogun will give you some fun. It certainly has for 4 seasons now. As another suggestion try out the line sir Francis bacon, don't be scared by the width, I'm seriously thinking if getting rid of my salomon shoguns and Scott crusades to just have those as my non powder day skis!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Salomon BBR 8.9's tick the box for me, a great all mountain Ski IMHO Happy I have the 176 and 89 mm under foot 12.5 m radius of turn or tighter if you crank up the Angle though Happy great in G/S turns and short turns on the steeps, floats well in the Pow and just cuts through the slush and chopped Pow no bother. The only slight niggle is they don't cut the ice as well as my Atomics do but a small price to pay for what is otherwise a very good all mountain ski. For some reason the "Experts don't seem to like em Sad

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 22-04-13 14:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Idris wrote:
Lynx form Idris Skis - sorry for the self promotion but this ski really does tick all your boxes

I've not skied these but I have seen them, I think with Idris on board, they are a very nice looking ski indeed.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what are the best way to test skis? i've never seen the skis im looking to buy in rental shops.
Is there any way to do it in england on a snow dome (obviously not great for an all mountain ski)? when im next skiing how can I try them out?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
loudyboy, Easiest - when a snowdome is running a demo day, you can learn a lot about skis in the very variable conditions you get indoors

Best - In resort specific demo event or demo centres.

Most practical outdoors - find a decent freeride focused shop that will let you demo a number of skis with credit off the purchase price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out the K2 Coomback - (105 underfoot). I have skied on them for two seasons now and they are brilliant in powder - but also are fine on the pistes as well. I would definitely prefer these to the K2 Kung Fugas - which are more of a freestyle ski
latest report
AJQ wrote:
12.5 m radius of turn or tighter if you crank up the Angle though Happy great in G/S turns

Curious how that works?
snow report
Check out the link from Snoworks Happy

http://youtube.com/v/uPOE8aSRjpM
snow report
AJQ, not totally unbiased though Confused
snow conditions
The highly rated Snoworks' most shameful moment - corporate shilling at it's most obvious

Of the shortlist I'd probably say Navis

I might also add Bonafide/Cochise (dubious on whether qualify as sufficiently twinned)

Really didn't rate the Fujas when I tried them but a lot can be wrong with the set up of demo skis.
latest report
Yeah I know they are Salomon Biased at the mo. It would be interesting to see what other skis they trialled before selecting the BBRs though. Now I actually own a pair I'm quite impressed really. I was firmly entrenched in the Atomic Camp until I tried these. 4 different Atomics over the 30 years I have been skiing. Originally a basic intermediate ski, can't remember the version now, then progressed to the Atomic Arc G/S ski which in its day was awesome; they were stollen from my caravan in the mid 80s Sad had a wee break for a coupe of years then got the new Atomic Mega Carve x 3:20, my first carving ski, then the D2 Vario Flex which were very stiff, excellent at high speed and cut through the Ice very well indeed, never had a ski that held the ice so well Happy

But as an All Mountain Ski I cannot complain about the BBRs Happy and still thoroughly recommend them. The Canadians call the "Semi Fats" which I guess they are. I had a great week in Mayrhofen in January on the groomers and another great week SSV and LL in March on un-groomed slopes and some good Pow too. snowHead
snow report
Having spent the last few weeks on them can I suggest the dynastar cham 97, I'm about an inch taller than you and 15kg heavier, they float great and feel super solid on piste.

Nick
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy