Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Bandits Sharpened, boots and gear packed and ready to set off..

Will be up in Caingorm for Tomorrow and Thursday.. hope the skiings good wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
milnerhome wrote:
Will be up in Caingorm for Tomorrow and Thursday.. hope the skiings good wink

Me too Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller, I was looking at a train for the May Bank Holiday, and the cost for a Friday daytime train from Kings Cross/Euston to Aviemore, and a return on Sun night (arriving 7.45am) was approx £125.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Phil_D, Not too terrible... saves a night in a hotel and, having done it in January from Aviemore, quite enjoyable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After the storm the weather is settling down with high pressure ridging in. Looks set to be anchored smack bang over Highland Scotland for the weekend, so start planning your weekend sliding, but remember the shades and high factor suncream! Could be on for the UK's first 21c/70f of the year in the Central Highlands this weekend... Cool

CairnGorm Mountain is skiing till 8pm on Thursday and BBC 1's One Show will be on the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
21c, are you taking the mic??? my trip up to cairngorm on the 23rd is seeming a little to late after reading things like this Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovestheslush, it'll be fine, relax.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rick doesnt love slush and i really doubt it is going to be fine is it!!! The webcams are already showed a thaw happeneing, so what will it be like after 4 days of high teen temperatures!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, chill brother, honestly it'll be sweet, there's been a pretty savage thaw the past few days and below is a pic from a TR from today. You can see the choo-choo on the track. About an inch to the uphill side of the train is the normal underpass under the track for skiers to the white lady run. On a "normal" or "average" season where there very often is skiing on the may bank holiday the underpass is open for skiers - it obviously aint open now (and hasnt been for most of the season!

so, first pic is today
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/displaypic.php?id=15204,2225#start

and this is a shot of basically the same point taken from a TR on April 20th 2008 (we had May bank holiday skiing that year, good it was too!)

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displaypic.php?id=8166,475#start

spot the difference!!
The thing about warmer temps this time of year is that the nights generally stay cold, below freezing typically. The base is bulletproof so on that basis things are looking fine for the next several weeks at least. Book yer trip, and log off till it's time to go wink

*edit* pasted same pic twice, now corrected
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
basicaslly the snow level is up to the track so much more snow? yeh i get it, just hope it is still there wen im heading up sure that it will!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, seriously, chill out Laughing

Posted by 'freeskiing' on the Nevis Rnage thread on winterhighland...

Wow. I bought the Daily Mail today just to see this Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Amazing, all four of 'em in the same gear... (please don't write in)

Anyway, that'll be me (sort of) next week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ADVICE REQUIRED

Thinking of getting the 7.30am Ferry into Cairnryan tomorrow morning, so could be at Glencoe or Nevis for Lunchtime. Which one should I choose? Then stay in Aviemore on Friday night and ski Cairngorm Saturday, maybe Sunday too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, seriously, chill out Laughing

Posted by 'freeskiing' on the Nevis Rnage thread on winterhighland...

Wow. I bought the Daily Mail today just to see this Laughing

That is magic. And huuuugggge snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does anyone know if the braveheart will be open at Nevis on Saturday?
Still not been over the back but it looks epic
snow report
1873Chris, you don't need Braveheart to ski the back. Don't know what condition the traverse out will be in. Speak to patrol.
ski holidays
arv, Totally awesome Happy
ski holidays
Great photo, I love seeings multiple shots in the same trick

I know just the place in the Wicklow mountains to practice that trick, with a nice soft landing!

ski holidays
Booked onto the 07.15 fast ferry to Troon. Glencoe for Lunch Toofy Grin
snow report
arv, is the traverse out not a major pain in the behind if the braveheart isn't running?

I've never been over the back so if anyone is heading up on saturday let me know and we could possibly meet up
snow conditions
1873Chris, the traverse out is fine if braveheart isn't running......

...it's the walk up to get the height that is the pain!
latest report
johnboy, might see you there wink
ski holidays
david@mediacopy,

I'll be wearing a light brown jacket and skiing on red Atomic Izors. At the moment the plan is to head for Glencoe.
ski holidays
johnboy, ok I'll have tan brown Karma's, dark brown camo jacket and my wife in a very green jacket & White crash hat combo Happy
ski holidays
Think i myt be at Glencoe 2moro not sure what i'll be wearing but i'll have my green liberty hazmats on and my dad should have his apache crossfires on to

Might see you there guys
snow conditions
Or you could meet for lunch at the plateau cafe
ski holidays
Are you heading up 2moro bob?
snow report
Cairngorm... M1 Poma pylon down. Sounds serious. Anyone know anything? Meant to be heading up there but no M1 could be a deal breaker.
latest report
 brian
brian
Postings on winterhighland suggest a piste basher ran into it!

Looking at the webcam pics here

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/cairngorm-mountain/#

It appears to have been resurrected in the latest images?
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, broken today, along with quite a lot of the other uplift (on and off).
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Also mentioned that Glenshee are shutting up shop after this weekend, although Glas Maol still looks great in these pics:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2226

I remember skiing Butchart's on a June holiday Monday in, I think, 85 or 86.
latest report
1873Chris, No I'm off to the coast near Elgin then off to Orkney on Sat. Going to Norefjell in Norway the following weekend. Next time in Glencoe is 1st of May.
latest report
Bode Swiller, I spoke to Colin (ski patrol No. 1) this evening and he said the pylon has been leaning for a while due to the weight of snow on it, the recent thaw seems to have made it worse and it actually fell down of it's own volition. However believe it or not there happened to be a pisting machine passing (perhaps the disturbance of the snow was the final straw) and it literally keeled over onto the machine smashing the back window and giving the driver one hell of a shock.

They've been working on it all day and had a new pylon partially re-erected by the time I left the hill tonight, the intention being to finish the work for tomorrow if possible. Here's some of Colin's post from the blog which also gives you some idea of the amount of snow round the pylon:
Quote:
just back from 15hrs on the hill and the engineers are still at it getting the M1 ready for tomorrow after the tower misshap after the “Glacier Movement” this morning, unbelievable the amount of snow is there when we dug the tower base out it was like a two storey snow building above us. West Wall should be back on tomorrow.
ski holidays
roga, thanks for the update. I shall relax.
snow conditions
Just arrived back home after two good days skiing in Cairngorm, really really good conditions.. Wednesday, practically no wind and clear sunshine filled sky's which meant perfect t-shirt skiing Wink and I certainly took advantage of it! Laughing
Today was a bit windy at the top which slowed you down, West Wall Poma broke down just as we were joining the line.. ski patrol were great and sent a couple of Cat's to pull the stranded skiiers out, never thought I'd be cat skiing in scotland Laughing

Overall some really good skiing and anyone going up, don't worry the base is solid! I didn't get a mark on my skis and I ended up in some pretty dodgy situations rolling eyes
latest report
I got back from Switzerland last weekend, and my skis picked up a fair few scratches out there. Glad to be back in Scotland - they haven't seen a rock since snowHead
snow report
milnerhome wrote:
Just arrived back home after two good days skiing in Cairngorm, really really good conditions.. Wednesday, practically no wind and clear sunshine filled sky's which meant perfect t-shirt skiing Wink and I certainly took advantage of it! Laughing
Today was a bit windy at the top which slowed you down, West Wall Poma broke down just as we were joining the line.. ski patrol were great and sent a couple of Cat's to pull the stranded skiiers out, never thought I'd be cat skiing in scotland Laughing

Overall some really good skiing and anyone going up, don't worry the base is solid! I didn't get a mark on my skis and I ended up in some pretty dodgy situations rolling eyes

Glad that you has a great time up there, i will let you know about heading up at the end of the month f you still fancy it. snowHead
snow conditions
milnerhome,

You were slow - most of the rest of us had skinned/walked out before then Smile
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, I'll see but I think its a no-goer due to my exams Sad

Dave Horsley, Well Wink the day before we'd ended up walking to the car park down the gully as my mates phone was still 1 hour out Evil or Very Mad and I just fancied the ride on a cat Laughing

Are all lifts running today including the funicular?
latest report
Just back from 9 days' skiing multiple resorts in Norway and Scotland.

A cool alternative to the Alps.

Here is my verdict on 3 Scottish resorts:

1. Nevis Range -- the best resort in Scotland by a mile. Feels like a proper mountain. The numerous cornice drop-ins up top are great fun. The sun and 20cm of fluffy snow with 100% coverage on Sunday 4 April was probably my favorite day of a 30-day season that took in Japan, Spain, France, Switzerland and Norway.

2. Glencoe -- the second best resort in Scotland. Some enjoyable steepish stuff on the top half of the mountain.

3. Cairngorm -- lots of snow, good potential, but disappointing. Huge liftlines, unreliable lifts, and seemingly understaffed. Feels more like a big hill than a mountain.

The weather was, let's say, entertaining. Sun followed by snow by mega rain by Summer temps, in just a few days.

Overall, a top trip. If snow is good next season, we will be back.

Snow conditions? They were superb last weekend, but terrible this week. The rain and sun are battering the snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy