Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SCGB Reps' Off-Piste Rules

Poster: A snowHead
achilles wrote:
Er, who's mum? The many snowheads I have met at Castleford, and last year's MSB and EoSB who have skied with me know who I am. I am not a SCGB rep. Who are you?

Your dashing report of Gerry just looked as though it could of been written by his Mum.
I'm a skier who has skied with people of ranging abilities from Epicski, TGR and Snowheads - they know who I am and I'm not an SCGB rep either.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith wrote:
Why do you think it hasn't happened? It was first mooted over 3 decades ago.

Could it be that some of the influential people in the SCGB would lose their free holidays (paid for by the members) if they were to vote against it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
infamy infamy... they've all got it in for me...

nothing like a conspiracy is there?

nothing like one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
achilles wrote:
Er, who's mum? The many snowheads I have met at Castleford, and last year's MSB and EoSB who have skied with me know who I am. I am not a SCGB rep. Who are you?

Your dashing report of Gerry just looked as though it could of been written by his Mum.
I'm a skier who has skied with people of ranging abilities from Epicski, TGR and Snowheads - they know who I am and I'm not an SCGB rep either.

OK. The 'dashing' report resulted from you picking what looks like a peach of a holiday as an example. Great location, a dash of expert instruction, and at least one rep (though I guess the other is fine too) with an excellent reputation for helping Club members to enjoy their skiing. And fully booked - just to ram home the points. Nothing like the democracy of the wallet. Well done. It's got me looking at Freshtrtacks again for a possible 3rd week's skiing for me this year - so thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, so, just to spite him you're going to put yourself through the torture of more skiing. A selfless act.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, wasn't Gerry the "rep of the year" a year or so ago?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, Laughing
I really have been wanting to get back to St Anton - haven't been there since before the railway station was moved. All this argy bargy has got me looking at the SCGB holidays again. I think this holiday just might press sufficient buttons for me - assuming I can find the time to get away for it. I must say a comfy 2* (like the Lutins at Les Deux Alpes) is more my cup of tea than the 4* Sport Hotel at St A - but, as you suggest, one must make sacrifices.

stoatsbrother, yup.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, Looks alright. But you now need to choose... you can't be a snowHead agent and an SKGB operative on the same trip (it's somewhere in the Ts&Cs). So, what are you? How do we know you're not going to pass over secrets from this public forum. Hmm?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From what I remember, Rep of the year is based soley on the number of new members recruited.

I recall Gerry being rather rude, to put it mildy, to other members on the SCGB Forum, in his robust defending of the Club.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, I do sometimes find myself explaining to SCGB members that snowheads are all right really, and vice versa to snowheads. rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles,

Please don't do it, I don't think I couldn't live with myself if you spent another £1,050.00 just for my sake. Wink

PS The train ticket to St Anton costs me around 100 euros (ca £75 GBP) and it's overnight so I can manage 9 days straight skiing using two weekends.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, Oh dear...guilty as charged here too. E.g. at last year's snowHead "extreme" rolling eyes trip we were in the same hotel as the SK(rolling eyes)GB (on my suggestion) and we have to admit to a degree of fraternisation, particularly as richjp was also there on the "other side". This year I've only got two Freshtracks' holidays booked and one snowHead trip, and I'm just about to go on my second snowOrks course of the season. Tart, moi?

achilles, snap.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, DB, hey, why don't you go together? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stephen buck,
Quote:

I recall Gerry being rather rude, to put it mildy, to other members on the SCGB Forum, in his robust defending of the Club.

I remember those days as well. Confused

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 8-01-08 13:48; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, What name does he post under?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 8-01-08 13:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
boredsurfin, nothin' there.

My mistake.
latest report
boredsurfin, what mistake? Laughing
snow report
DB wrote:
achilles,

Please don't do it, I don't think I couldn't live with myself if you spent another £1,050.00 just for my sake. Wink.......

I don't think I could, either. snowHead

But the thought of a holiday in St A with similar standard skiers is a tempting one. And it'd be interesting to see how I got on with Alrlberg ski school instruction. Getting the time is a problem - but I think I could enjoy myself on that one if I can get away.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller I think you can only post under your 'real' name in the ski club members only chat room. AFAIK

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-01-08 13:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, post under the name boredsurfin, over here wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, thought someone said he posts on here tho'. I'm not privvy to the dark side's forum.
latest report
achilles wrote:
DB wrote:
achilles,

Please don't do it, I don't think I couldn't live with myself if you spent another £1,050.00 just for my sake. Wink.......

I don't think I could, either. snowHead

But the thought of a holiday in St A with similar standard skiers is a tempting one. And it'd be interesting to see how I got on with Alrlberg ski school instruction. Getting the time is a problem - but I think I could enjoy myself on that one if I can get away.

Normally spend a week in St Anton every year. Price of the SCGB trip doesn't look bad when you take into account the ski instruction. Know what you mean though - money, time, mind and body are all often required to experience the greater pleasures of life but as some become available others often disappear.
latest report
The sad fact is that the boarder did not put his snowboard on when instructed to by the rep.
latest report
- insider information ?
ski holidays
The official position is that SCGB reps don't instruct. There's no reason for anyone to follow instructions from someone who has no authority to instruct.

So I'd give no credence to the above.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, A SCGB rep instructed me to go away and get some ski lessons.
ski holidays
Must have been your Dad.
Or was it your Mum?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, - not funny. Skigal appeared to have information and you know full well that the Rep was not being described as "Ski instructing" but rather apparently advising of the appropriate time to get back onto ski/board to continue on the terrain..
However, if the Swiss court were to follow the logic you have shown above
Quote:

There's no reason for anyone to follow instructions from someone who has no authority to instruct.

there will clearly be no legal case to answer in this unfortunate incident
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Instructed" was skigal's word - not mine. "Instructed" doesn't mean "advised".

SCGB reps provide advice, not instruction.

Your last paragraph assumes that whatever case is being contested in Switzerland involves instructions of some sort. I've no idea if that's the case.

What I learned in the 12-or-so years that I operated as an expert witness in ski accident cases is that you work from the point of injury(ies) backwards, examining each detail of the sequence of causes (physical, communicated, or otherwise) that led to the trauma (and usually the fall) ... or whatever is involved. Of course, expert medical evidence is vital to this because a ski expert looks at the medical evidence for clues. Many many factors can contribute to a ski/board accident, and it's a matter of investigating them all. Ultimately it's down to a large collection of facts, processed as appropriate, which are usually contested by opposing experts. So the facts have to be 100% kosher.

There might be a report running to 20, 40 or even 100 pages to properly inform a court of law, so this thread is largely pointless conjecture. Presumably the facts will emerge in due course.

Scrumpy wrote:
Skigal appeared to have information ...

To you, maybe. To me the comments lacked credibility. When a pseudonym (with a posting record of 2) says they have a "sad fact" I'm inclined to believe this is 'the bloke in the pub'.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, I think that ,even for you you, you are being rather obtuse in continuing to confuse the word "instruction" with the fact that SCGB Reps are not allowed to offer "ski instruction" as it equates in common parlance with "ski teaching" . In the case of SCGB Reps such terminology is used to advise them and the SCGB membership and the resorts that the Reps will not teach those who ski with them.
Skigal appears to have used the word "instruct" without realising that you might pick up on it in such an obtuse way - unless we hear more we do not know whether an apparent instruction was ignored, whether a piece of advice was ignored, or whether a collective decision by the rest of the group to get back onto planks was not chosen by the unfortunate boarder.
Whichever, I feel sorry for the poor Rep. concerned who has had all this hanging over her for nearly a year now whilst leading a group, the members of which had each accepted responsibility for their individual safety when joining the day's skiing.
latest report
Quote:

I feel sorry for the poor Rep. concerned who has had all this hanging over her for nearly a year now
Me too. Must confess, I hadn't realised until just now the rep was a "her".
snow conditions
Scrumpy, you're expressing sympathy (shared) for the rep and anyone could well understand that the period between a fatal accident and a comprehensive hearing of the facts would be very stressful for anyone directly concerned or related to those involved. But maybe any delay is in the interests of reliable justice for the rep and anyone else affected.

Back on 22 November I asked on this thread (then 11 pages long) whether there had been any inquest. The medical cause of Jean-Philippe Marquette's death would have been rapidly ascertained. The primary evidence relevant to his death would also have been heard by the Swiss coroner, if an inquest occurred afterwards.

Whether the SCGB's waiver/indemnity statement is persuasive in Swiss law could be relevant to what you're saying, but precious little is (apparently) known to anyone contributing to this thread. I'd be confident that there will be a fair outcome once the full facts have been aired, and I suspect they go far far beyond the very selective points you're making. You say that people taking equipment off, and putting it on, is a factor. If that's correct, had the group taken their skis/boards off to climb or walk? Were they about to set off downhill, or were they traversing or gaining height? If a boarder is trying to gain height he'll be carrying the board while others are side-stepping on skis. There are so many questions, and (typically) there will be various witness accounts.

As I've said above, the starting point in analysing the accident is the final point of injury, working backwards from there to unravel all the facts and how they contributed to the causes. In my experience of these cases, a fair amount of evidence and opinion is contested in any event.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, does it make a difference? wink

David Goldsmith, indeed - I have had a total failure to find more details about this via conventional internet seacrhes. Which either speaks to my failings or a rather less sensationalist approach on the part of the Swiis media compared with ours. All I have heard is rumours. I am sure we will find outmore in the long term. In the meantime sympathy for both the family & friends of the deceased, and anyone else including the rep involved seems the most appropriate thing to express.
snow report
You'll find some more information in the minutes of the Club's annual general meeting, which was on 29 November. Perhaps these are now ready for circulation to members and posting up on the website.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Not there yet, but right clicking the 2006 minutes and looking at the properties suggests they were completed on 31/1/07, so may be due soon - of course these would be draft subject to approval at the 2008 agm.
snow report
Quote:

does it make a difference?

stoatsbrother, shouldn't do. Just that I'd previously been led to believe it was a man.
ski holidays
It doesn't make a difference, though (with no disrespect to Scrumpy or anyone else) we haven't had any information from any proven primary/authoritative source on this incident anyway.

It does illustrate, though, how easily any old bit of information, misinformation or error can enter the pot. In investigating ski accidents I found I had to test any detail documented, cross-check and corroborate any evidence. In one major case in Australia my instructing lawyers were able to obtain disclosure of company minutes of the lift-operating company in charge of the mountain, so that we knew how they had responded to specific snow and weather conditions. That sort of material could be relevant in this case. Who knows?
snow report
David Goldsmith, I gather that J-PM fell whilst off piste, crossing, or having crossed,an area of old avalanche debris Skigal added that the Rep had [indicated in some way] that ski/board should be mounted - indicating that the fall happened whilst on foot. I assume that the position being considered is more to do with the question of whether the Rep was negligent in leading the group in the way she did rather than the precise medical cause of death.
snow report
I will apologise if this has been said before.

Whether the Reps are qualified guides/instructors or not, if there is an accident they will be at risk of ending up in court. Possibly those who are more highly qualified will be at greater risk of being found to be negligent. I suppose SCGB has a duty of care for the reps and doesn't want to be seen to be encouraging them to take members to areas thought to be more risky. If SCGB is telling reps that at leaset part of their raison d'etre is to accompany off piste groups it needs to have cast iron insurance to stave off potential claims. Not just from the members but also potentially from the reps themselves.

SCGB should offer off piste guiding to those who want it, make the qualifications of the rep clear to those taking part, highlight potential risks, and SCGB should carry suficient liability insurance to protect them and the rep should tragedy strike. It may be that people who want this service will have to pay for it directly. Perhaps as a consequence membership will become cheaper for everyone else.
snow report
Aurial, yup, it has all been said before. But welcome to snowheads, anyway. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy