Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
I asked something similar in another thread but I'll do so here too.
We'll be staying in the area in late March next year. We'll have a car. My wife is a keen student of French and wants to have a very French experience. The idea is we'll check out the local hills if they are still in good nick but we'll also drive to Les Contamines and Cham (for the Vallee Blanche) and maybe even Flaine to check that out.
In which village or town will we hear the most French voices and have the most French interaction when we are out to dinner of an evening?
Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sbooker, had dinner in a restaurant in Les C quite a few years ago where the owners didn’t speak English so French required , Le Totem I think, but I think its closed now. It wasn’t great though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker, I'd imagine Les Contas. The Auberge de Colombaz looked very nice when I stopped after a wee skin but I doubt it's accessible for dinner. Le Carnotzet also looked quite fine, we stopped for a coffee.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, oh but we had a great dinner at La Galeta in St Gervais not far from Les C. Very local dishes so did have a very local feel. Should fit the bill.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, in St Gervais the restaurants vary. La Perle pizza place is predominantly English speaking, but as @ster says Le Galeta is very popular with the French (though its frequent mention here advertises it to English speaking visitors). Last week we went to the main Serac restaurant (Michelin star so not cheap eating) for my birthday and we were the only English there, on the other hand at Serac's Bistrot (possibly my favourite restaurant anywhere) about a quarter of the tables are English speaking.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try Praz sur Arly for fewer English voices around you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Ferme de Cupelin is very well regarded by locals in SG and I thought the dinner I had at Source was at Michelin level with mainly a French clientele.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are up the mountain in P s A (recommended) this is a nice place. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1067708-d5961190-Reviews-Le_Petit_Tetras-Praz_Sur_Arly_Haute_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can recommend L'ours noir in Les C for a French experience tempered with most other nationalities! The owner is an ESF instructor, his wife is (iirc Swedish) and makes excellently weird pizzas (I had a Thai green curry one!) and they do craft beer...
We'll be back there in January.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@devilabit, I can confirm the excellence of Source, I think it has a Michelin rosette (the level below a star); I think there was a mix of languages but majority French. I haven't been to La Ferme du Cupelin which is too far to walk from the centre at night but I would imagine it is pretty French.

When President Macron visited St Gervais shortly before Covid (I think prompted by the tensions about inappropriate activities on Mont Blanc) there was a photo online afterwards of him alongside the chefs responsible for the municipal reception: those of Serac, La Ferme du Cupelin and Rond de Carotte - another restaurant we can recommend, although English speakers seem to be fairly well represented in its clientele.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Ferme du Cupelin Is amazing, go for the 9 course tasting experience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Macron is meant to be around tomorrow for the inauguration of Le Valléen
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@devilabit, I mentioned in a post above the rumour that M. Peillex was trying to get him - but I had rather assumed it might not happen if the government was still in limbo. No doubt they will be closing all the roads and causing general chaos.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
j b wrote:
... I had rather assumed it might not happen if the government was still in limbo.

And right on cue Macron appoints a PM.
latest report
Unlikely to make the difference whether you decide to go to Megeve or not, but it seems 'Emily in Paris' was filmed there wink
https://www.stanfordskiing.co.uk/news/blog/emily-paris-ski-scenes-and-location-revealed-megeve
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy