Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
I just hope that this snow sticks around until Christmas Day. Keep your updates coming nozawaonsen, i love reading them!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen wrote:

Monday

First off, the system that works it's way up from the South West, taking in Cornwall and Devon before moving on to Southern Wales and the South Coast. Here it is mid morning just before it breaks up at midday and having travelled all the way up from Land's End. (the UK is in faint outline top left).

Completely selfish I know but what does this / might this mean for Gatwick? Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it is marginal (as indeed are all the snow events I mentioned, it will all depend on positioning and it could be rain rather than snow especially in the south). I'd see more chance of Monday's low slipping further south (back into the Channel) rather than pressing inland... But... who knows... Keep a close watch would be my advice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and for the monterosa valley after the 26th? Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milnerhome wrote:
and for the monterosa valley after the 26th? Wink
That's pretty deep in FI...

For what it's worth I'm keeping an eye on 29 December in the Alps in FI. wink

As for UK for next few days worth keeping an eye on the satellite (you can see the weather system heading for northern france tomorrow - which also seems to be sweeping rather close to the South West...)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Manchester it is currently -11c. Very cold, everything is so so sloppy after yesterdays snowfalls. Be careful out there!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Light snow knocking on the door on the South Coast (in fact just very slowly starting...) and heading in towards Loathian in more force...

Snow in the south for tomorrow looked like it would peter out before hitting Gatwick on the 00z, but looks to score a direct hit in the 06z... [edit: but see UKMO below!]

Will be worth watching...

Tuesday looking pretty snowy in SE too...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 19-12-10 12:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen, yup, snow falling onto frozen hail from yesterday as I type, in Seaford...
I love these updates - just wish that I could understand them more rolling eyes Laughing
Now... I'm meant to drive up to Gatwick tomorrow morning for an airport standby. Due to start at 0500.
And the likelihood is...???
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michelle, the earlier the better tomorrow for Gatwick. If the models are to be believed you are in a race with the snow heading in from the West. Of course as we've seen the arrival of the snow may not be the trigger for Gatwick (and the airlines) to put contingency plans into action...

According to UKMO 00z

Monday 1200

Monday 1800

Tuesday 0000

Will keep an eye on the Gatwick situation, the latest UKMO models also suggest Heathrow may get hit on Monday too... Monday travel in the south could be tricky...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen, lots of very pretty diagrams there with different colours Very Happy (If only this fool could understand the colours Laughing) Does the deeper the colour mean more precipitation????
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle, there is a scale at the bottom which you can (roughly) convert into snowfall over six hours. So much of the darker green is around 2 to 5 cm of snow over six hours, the more (olive?) colour at the centre of a couple of runs (far south east in the last one) is about 5 to 10 cm. But it is just a guideline.

More later. Must go shopping...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh poo-poo snowing again now in Havant...bug bug bug

In the middle of packing and can't bear the thought that it might all be for nowt. I've been looking at the met office forecast and allowing myself to get excited.

dam and blast
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen, you're doing the most fantastic job on here! It's just brilliant that you take so much time and trouble to do it. Very Happy Very Happy

snowlamb,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
nozawaonsen, you're doing the most fantastic job on here! It's just brilliant that you take so much time and trouble to do it. Very Happy Very Happy

snowlamb,

+1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This shows how tomorrow morning around Gatwick could be quite tricky on the WRF 06z (cross hatching indicates snow).

It's brings the snow across the south a bit earlier, but slightly less widespread than UKMO and it starts to wrap up sooner trending towards rain and sleet later in the morning. So by lunchtime... Which might make things a little easier for those trying to keep things running. But it's a dynamic situation...

Back in the Alps the run up to Christmas continues to shape up. On the 06z the freezing levels on 23/24 December reach less high, reducing (not removing) the risk of rain lower down as the precipitation rolls in. Christmas Day still looking cold, possibly snowy too. wink

[edit: just unpick that last sentence... Christmas Day looking cold (sunny higher up?), Christmas Eve looking snowy... rolling eyes ]

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 19-12-10 19:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Perhaps inevitably the situation for Gatwick tomorrow is unclear, but hope dies last and as Disraeli suggested prepare for the worst and hope for the best... or something, here are a few runs which delay or postpone the worst... wink

So here is NAEFS which blitzes Cardiff and Bristol on Monday evening (and keeps doing so for a while), but only has rain to offer further east... leaving Gatwick largely unscathed...

Here is UKMO for tomorrow evening. Which takes it snowy, slowly across much of the south... (from west to east by tomorrow midnight midnight)...
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, thanks for all you're really helpful information! All read with great interest and often great befuddlement Toofy Grin
I think I'll just get up at 0300 tomorrow and look out of the window before making a decision as to what to do!
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Perhaps inevitably the situation for Gatwick tomorrow is unclear, but hope dies last and as Disraeli suggested prepare for the worst and hope for the best... or something, here are a few runs which delay or postpone the worst... wink

So here is NAEFS which blitzes Cardiff and Bristol on Monday evening (and keeps doing so for a while), but only has rain to offer further east... leaving Gatwick largely unscathed...

Here is UKMO for tomorrow evening. Which takes it snowy, slowly across much of the south... (from west to east by tomorrow midnight midnight)...

I'm not sure how much more of this I can stand.....I may have to resort to alcohol before the evening is out....We will set off for Gatwick at 0600 tomorrow and hope that we stay ahead of the weather and get airborne on schedule or near about.
snow report
I think looking out the window when you wake may well be the best option. As we get in this close all the models can really do is give you options. It's going to be tricky at Gatwick and Heathrow whatever tomorrow...

Incidentally if that UKMO 12z did come off it would hit London just about... evening rush hour... tasty. I'd add though that WRF now also doesn't bring the snow as far as Gatwick and Heathrow or indeed London, leaving it focussed in the South West and as far as Hampshire.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen,

Quote:

So here is NAEFS which blitzes Cardiff and Bristol on Monday evening

I'm right under that one, looks like it could be interesting. 'Standby for incoming'.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:

Incidentally if that UKMO 12z did come off it would hit London just about... evening rush hour... tasty. I'd add though that WRF now also doesn't bring the snow as far as Gatwick and Heathrow or indeed London, leaving it focussed in the South West and as far as Hampshire.

We are in Hampshire Madeye-Smiley but right on the West Sussex border so we may be lucky.

It's no good we've had to open a bottle of something cold and fizzy ... we are on holiday after all ... and suddenly the world's a better place.

Thanks for all your info. nozawaonsen it has been both exciting and useful and has sent me scurrying to the weather forums.

Will report from Gatwick tomorrow.
ski holidays
Quote:

I may have to resort to alcohol before the evening is out...

snowlamb, you make that sound like an absolute last resort! Laughing
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, just to add my thanks for your informative posts....

now a few question....

a) what's your take on how long the cold will hang around in the UK? local radio in Yorkshire was predicting into 2011, but my GFS charts disagree and
b) what chance of Yad Moss getting some snow.....
snow report
hmm, looks to be an interesting next 24-48hrs then reading above for the south. temps in hants been up and down like a yoyo all day, wonder if it will be another reasonable layer tomorrow here on top of what we have.

got to feel for those caught up at airport and fingers cross for those trying to get away Cool
snow report
kitenski, on your first question, I think it would be fair to say it is terrifically hard to call. Until this morning UKMO had it running cold till well into mid January. They shifted this morning and now have "a return to nearer normal temperatures" from New Year.

Closer in ECM is pushing for a mild Christmas, GFS keeps it cold up till at least Boxing Day. [edit: I'd add that several models as bar shaker mentioned elsewhere are flagging a pretty windy end to this week!]

So with even 5 days out up for grabs it is hard to get a real sense for where it will go next. There are quite a few suggestions in the models for warmer in a week or so, there are quite a few suggestions the models are failing to really deal with the very cold temperatures.

As for tomorrow the BBC are pushing the snow threat across the South quite hard, it should be a while before it crosses the country to the South East mind, and a number of models are suggesting it will all be a fizzle. We'll see.

Back in the Alps! The pattern remains, with a few tweaks, it looks like snow on 22 December in France and parts of Italy and Switzerland, then picking up with rain at first at lower levels, possibly up to 2000m in parts of France on Thursday 23 December, heavy snow higher up. By Christmas Eve now the temperatures start dropping hard, there might be a little less snow (still a fair amount), but it should be snow all the way down. Then right back into cold for Christmas Day itself (-10C at 1500m) and staying there for Boxing Day.

Pattern similar in Austria, they keep it simpler though. It warms up Wednesday, Thursday, but doesn't mess around with rain, waits till it gets cold and then snows heavily on Christmas Eve, before the Christmas Day and Boxing Day cold.

After that in the Alps, it looks like it warms up quite a bit and maybe one or two surprises round 29 December, but in the current circumstances I would be wary of making much of a prediction.

If your heading to the airports tomorrow hope it all works out! Hope you get to the mountains... higher and higher wink

Higher and higher

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 19-12-10 23:44; edited 3 times in total
latest report
nozawaonsen,

First to add to everyones thanks for your wonderful and interesting posts, I am glued to this thread Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

May i ask your opinion on GFS for Obergurgl region 47 11 I think - off for a week on 2nd Jan, looks predominantly dry, then (maybe) a little snow on 24th/25th, hoping Obergurgl is high enough to ensure that anything that falls is white snowHead . After that it does look very dry with temps near 'normal', have I read this right?

I am very thankful that the resort has wonderful cover already, so whatever happens we should have a great week, but shamelessly hoping for a bit of fresh before we go Embarassed

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Heart in mouth for all of this hoping to get away in the next few days (especially in the south) good luck all.....
snow report
nozawaonsen, if you charged a quid for a weather outlook I'd pay it !
latest report
+1 a really useful insight - thanks!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Breakdown (or not) of the UK cold around xmas day on a bit of a cliffhanger. GFS op has gone for prolonged cold but most ens allow the atlantic to smash through the block. UKMO cold, ECM sticking with mild. Stay tuned ...
ski holidays
Just to add to the thanks, from the other side of the fence this time - we're currently trapped in La Plagne waiting for Easyjet to sort out their flights back to Gatwick (have a word Michelle!). Very interesting to hear thoughts on the arrival of snow! snowHead
snow report
We're all packed and the alarm set for an early start to Gatwick tomorrow and it's only just occurred to me that I've been so preoccupied with snow this side I've completely forgotten to worry about conditions when we get there Laughing

One more time good luck to everyone travelling this week. I hoping my next post will be from L2A.

Bonne chance mes amis !
ski holidays
Quote:

May i ask your opinion on GFS for Obergurgl region 47 11 I think - off for a week on 2nd Jan, looks predominantly dry, then (maybe) a little snow on 24th/25th, hoping Obergurgl is high enough to ensure that anything that falls is white . After that it does look very dry with temps near 'normal', have I read this right?

neilkav sounds like you've called it about right [based on the 12z GFS], might be a little bit of a snow shower tomorrow, I'd probably chance my arm that the Christmas Eve snow will be a bit stronger (maybe 20cm+?), certainly the majority if not all of it will be snow in Obergurgl. Very Happy

After the Christmas cold period... well it is rather tricky to tell, it goes warmer to start, but there are some ghostly suggestions, just suggestions mind, in the mountain mist, of another system pulling through 28/29 December? Once again lifting temperatures as it arrives, then dropping them, but that could easily change...

Tomorrow still right on the edge with whether the south will get a lot of snow... or... not...

GFS 18z is banging the drum for some Christmas Day snow in the UK... wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-12-10 8:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
nozawaonsen, to be fair, the banging pretty much confined to the UK's nice bit. wink Interesting to see where this one sits in the ensemble.
ski holidays
brian wrote:
nozawaonsen, to be fair, the banging pretty much confined to the UK's nice bit. wink Interesting to see where this one sits in the ensemble.
brian Laughing

Fair point! Could be a bit more widespread Thursday and Christmas Eve... We'll see...
snow report
GFS 00z operational looks like it is considering pulling it's punches slightly for the snow in the Alps on 23 December and Christmas Eve. Most of the other ensembles are still pretty gung ho mind. This could still bring rain to lower parts of the French Alps though so needs watching! By the time the show reaches Austria it's a lot less rowdy, but does look less of a rain risk.

And still signs of something (certainly a warm up for a few days!) the other side of a cold Christmas and Boxing Day... More snow??

In the UK snowing very heavily in South West, but will it be able to break out? Some suggestions on forecasts it will fizzle, but radar has it looking strong...

Further out, this morning's GFS switched tracks for the end of the week, kept low pressure further away and instead started building high pressure over UK for Christmas Day. Winds would be less strong at the end of the week if that played out. But it could all change later...
snow conditions
brian, nozawaonsen, local weather forecast from Bourg St Maurice is saying warmer +ve temps and rain later in the week!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, definitely been looking that way for a while... Freezing could be up to 2200m+... Some rain at lower level looking quite strong for that part of French Alps... Snow on top though! Crucially on Christmas Eve two things happen- temperatures drop steeply and some further heavy snow and rain comes in. Clearly timing and sequencing here are going to be pretty crucial! Rain followed by snow I'd guess, but what proportions? Christmas Day will be cold according to latest models.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, More Cold! Perlease not down to -20c again Confused
We use this forecast although it is for 1250m it is reasonably accurate for 24hrs ahead if common sense is applied.
http://france.meteofrance.com/france/montagne?MONTAGNE_PORTLET.path=montagneprevisionville/731501

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 20-12-10 10:10; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Quote:

but will it be able to break out?

praying not. Let's hope that the weather won't stop too many holidays and family get togethers over the next week.

Chamonix meteo doesn't see much precipitation during the coming balmy spell, thankfully.
snow report
Boredsurfing, just a couple of cold ones for Christmas Very Happy Will be pretty cold I'd have thought. Perhaps (?) not -20C, more like a cheeky -14C at 2000m...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy