Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@Badbobby, glad you enjoyed Saalbach, quick question on Taxi Pingzau that you said you had booked, was everything ok?

They are coming up cheapest I can find online at €180, the usual company I use are at €198 so tempted to give them a try.

They were great. At arrivals as expected, lovely bloke (hassan iirc). Decent merc van in conference set up. Kids seats on request. Return equally seamless.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Badbobby, thanks for teh feedback, I've updated my how to get there, what did you pay ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was €400 return for 23/30 December.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Badbobby, thanks, that’s better than Austrian Transfers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pejoli wrote:
radar wrote:
@Boofont, @gt3, if I could I would! Having answered the question a few times last season, as soon Tatmantours opened the page I made sure it’s on page 1 easier to cut and paste

@Pejoli, have you used them?

I’m with Tatmantours we use the 260/680 whenever possible.

My booking is apparently being fulfilled by HRI Limousinenservice & Transfers - I’m using them next Saturday for the first time, so will report back.

Had a thoroughly enjoyable time in Saalbach - really enjoyed the runs and infrastructure, and staying in the hinterronach via sunweb seemed a good compromise in terms of location, facilities, and price (it was above a 50metre ski in/out from 151, but a 15 minute walk up a hill from town).

The only area we didn’t get to explore was on the schattberg west and zwoferkogel side, and didn’t bother with the Zell link.

In terms of the taxi as above: service was very efficient - they contacted us ahead of time, and we had the drivers number for calls and WhatsApp’s. The only demerits - they were 30 mins late at airport, due to traffic, and on the return, they asked to shift the pickup from 4pm to 2.30 due to ‘traffic’ (we flew out EJ 10.20 from GTW, and back BA 19.55). We were skiing, so suggested 3pm, and so dropped off the skis 45 mins earlier than planned. lo and behold, no real traffic, and we got to the airport in about 100 mins. Now, the driver told me he had two more pickups that day, so the cynic in me says they pushed ours earlier to give themselves more contingency - but I will bow to the expertise here to comment on that, and whether it’s standard practice.

Other than that minor quibble (and of course I could have said I’ll stick with the 4pm time), was very happy with them. They were £180 each way, booked through taxi.booking.com.

Once again, thanks for all the advice, definitely on the list for a return!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Badbobby, thanks, will give them a try
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend is arriving at Saalbach tomorrow. Getting the 260 bus from Salzburg airport terminal. It runs at least every hour and the one she’s aiming to get takes just over 1 hour 20 minutes to get to Maishofen (20 mins down the road from Saalbach). Costing about €15.
For the benefit of anyone reading this, who may be on a tight budget and feels inclined to save on taxis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tatmanstours wrote:
@franga, see my list of recommended ski instructors on the previous page of this thread (p.12)

Ace, thanks very much.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, re the bus, I was looking for a Saturday in a few weeks as my original Friday flight has been kindly cancelled by BA, so now coming in on the first flight Saturday morning landing 10:10, when I look at the buses they are every 2 hours, as I am very likely to just miss the 1053 , the next says 1253, hence as want to ski a little on the Saturday I’m going down the taxi route, is it because your friend is going to maishofen that is every hour?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ribblevalleyblue, don’t know - could be because it’s a weekday? The one she’s hoping to get is actually only about 45 mins after the previous one. It seems to be an extra one in between the hourly service. There’s another one 18 minutes later.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pejoli wrote:
Pejoli wrote:
radar wrote:
@Boofont, @gt3, if I could I would! Having answered the question a few times last season, as soon Tatmantours opened the page I made sure it’s on page 1 easier to cut and paste

@Pejoli, have you used them?

I’m with Tatmantours we use the 260/680 whenever possible.

My booking is apparently being fulfilled by HRI Limousinenservice & Transfers - I’m using them next Saturday for the first time, so will report back.

Had a thoroughly enjoyable time in Saalbach - really enjoyed the runs and infrastructure, and staying in the hinterronach via sunweb seemed a good compromise in terms of location, facilities, and price (it was above a 50metre ski in/out from 151, but a 15 minute walk up a hill from town).

The only area we didn’t get to explore was on the schattberg west and zwoferkogel side, and didn’t bother with the Zell link.

In terms of the taxi as above: service was very efficient - they contacted us ahead of time, and we had the drivers number for calls and WhatsApp’s. The only demerits - they were 30 mins late at airport, due to traffic, and on the return, they asked to shift the pickup from 4pm to 2.30 due to ‘traffic’ (we flew out EJ 10.20 from GTW, and back BA 19.55). We were skiing, so suggested 3pm, and so dropped off the skis 45 mins earlier than planned. lo and behold, no real traffic, and we got to the airport in about 100 mins. Now, the driver told me he had two more pickups that day, so the cynic in me says they pushed ours earlier to give themselves more contingency - but I will bow to the expertise here to comment on that, and whether it’s standard practice.

Other than that minor quibble (and of course I could have said I’ll stick with the 4pm time), was very happy with them. They were £180 each way, booked through taxi.booking.com.

Once again, thanks for all the advice, definitely on the list for a return!

Good find. Booked the same, worth noting if you have used booking.com they apply your genius discount, total cost for same booking return for us is €360 euros post discount - versus €400 to €440 for other quotes (Salzburg taxi / saalbach local quotes).

Difference? We are luggage only, suitcases and boot bags. Hiring skis from Hansi’s Eh oh!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gt3, “ Hiring skis from Hansi’s”

Remember to mention my name for an extra discount.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@gt3, “ Hiring skis from Hansi’s”

Remember to mention my name for an extra discount.

@tatmanstours - Mentioned it on the online booking and will remind him when collecting whilst consuming schnapps Eh oh!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ribblevalleyblue, there is a different timetable on Saturday/Sunday
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve updated my post

How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en it is 70 euro each way, however if you are a solo traveller it is 120 euro! if there are three or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Edit: 30 November added Snow Camps transfer

Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe is offering a shuttle type service.

https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/

Private transfers, companies based in Saalbach Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/, Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/ , Taxi Pinzgau https://taxi-pinzgau.com .

Holiday Shuttle as far as I can ascertain won't be providing a service this season

Public bus (260) from Salzburg airport, the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is currently Euro 15.90 each way, change at Maishofen Abzw Glemmtal (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust stops, the bus going up the valley will wait if there is delay to the incoming bus, mention to the driver you are connecting to Saalbach

The public bus frequency has increased this winter to five connections on Saturday, to check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/,

You can go via Zell Am See, the last 260 leaves at 18.42 (double check to be sure) arrives Zell station at 20.38 then you can take a taxi to Saalbach (€60)

You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the live ski bus times, handy for when you are in resort, it’s been a great discovery.

Updated : 1 January 24 with information from Yorksboy, ribblevalleyblue, Badbobby

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 3-01-24 19:53; edited 4 times in total
latest report
@radar, thanks for the update. Really appreciated and very helpful. I’m giving the bus route a go, what can possibly go wrong! rolling eyes
snow report
Boofont wrote:
@radar, thanks for the update. Really appreciated and very helpful. I’m giving the bus route a go, what can possibly go wrong! rolling eyes

You don’t need to pre-purchase bus tickets. You can pay the driver, but I’m not sure whether they can accept card payments. There’s a free ATM at Salzburg Airport.
snow conditions
After reading this thread I have just booked Saalbach for my wife and myself for the 20th of January. We have never skied the area but if any snowheads would like to ski with us that would be great. We are both decent skiers ( 30 plus years).
snow conditions
@clum, Hi, we will be in Saalbach on the 20th but have ever skied the area
latest report
Badbobby wrote:
Went to Zell today, more out of principle and our apartment being ideally located to get to the ZellExpress.

Not a massive fan. Fiddly to get around, particularly so to get back to the zellexpress and I thought all the runs felt the same. Perhaps easier just to pay to go on the 680 bus and not be a slave to time?

Nice views though and probably very good in average weather given it’s almost all tree lined. Kids prevented me trying the long black runs home.

I wouldn’t bother again if I wasn’t staying by the Schontleitenbahn.

IMHO of course.

I quite liked Zell, despite it being smaller than the Saalbach Ski Circus areas it now "connects" to. Those 2 long blacks are really nice so that might have changed your view! We used to do black 13 first and last run of day, it was ideal to get quick from city express to Sonnenalm in the morning to ski that side before the sun softened it. It was also much quieter at end of day than the main red/blue run back into city entre.

The area off the back of Schmittenhohe and connecting that way to Sonnenalm is a little bit fiddly but it works. The run down the ZellExpress back towards Saalbach is a great run too! And the pinzgauer hutte was a fab lunch spot.
snow report
@t44tomo, thanks. Hoping to ski a bit of Zell when I’m out in Feb. Assume you have to get a bus back to Saalbach, and possibly the bus to the ZellamseeXpress if the blue (run 168?) is closed?

Regrading Kaprun, looks like you need to take bus? Anyone done that? Wondering if it’s worth it?
ski holidays
Boofont wrote:
@t44tomo, thanks. Hoping to ski a bit of Zell when I’m out in Feb. Assume you have to get a bus back to Saalbach, and possibly the bus to the ZellamseeXpress if the blue (run 168?) is closed?

Regrading Kaprun, looks like you need to take bus? Anyone done that? Wondering if it’s worth it?

correct regular bus link from Vierhofen to Vorderglem / Schonleiten or right up to Saalbach

Kaprun is easier than it used to be, you can bus right up the valley to panoramabahn or jump out at Maisgokel and then get the big new-ish 3K gondola link across. I dont think it saves much time but you can always do a run or two at Maiskogel and then head over.

Its defo worth a trip on a nice day, don't go if remotely foggy or windy. the problem is on a nice day a lot of people go so it gets crowed in busy time like half term. etc but its quite cool skiing at 3000m

Saying that, I say its easy-ish from Zell, obviously a longer slog if coming all the way from Saalbach at start / end of day, and involves the post bus not the saalbach ski bus. Might be better to Bus to Vierhofen early, take ZellExpress - a couple of runs and lifts to top of Schmittenhohe and then ski right down to bottom of areitXpress and bus to Maiskogel from there. And as I type that, it seem that fair bit of faff, given you have the rest of ski circus on your doorstep and you'd need to be careful timing your run back. I'd stick to a Zell only visit if your accom is in Saalbach.
ski holidays
Boofont wrote:

Having stayed in Saalbach many times and only once in Zell, i would not bother going to Zell for the skiing. I stayed in Zell last half term and skiied every day in the Ski Circus as nothing beats it in the area.
ski holidays
@Boofont, the free ski bus that connects the Zell am See Xpress to the Schönleitenbahn runs every 10 mins, and the journey takes 9 minutes. From the Schönleitenbahn, you either go up in the gondola to the summit of the Wildenkarkogel, from where it’s downhill skiing all the way to Saalbach (using pistes 166 and 151/152/153); or you change to the other ski bus that takes you to Saalbach.
Going in the other direction to Zell am See, you either take the ski bus from Saalbach to the Schönleitenbahn, where you change to the other ski bus that goes to the Zell am See Xpress and Viehhofen, or you ski across to the mid-station of the Schönleitenbahn, and ski down piste 161a to the bottom station.
It sounds like a faff, but it’s all pretty easy and well organised.

Regarding Kaprun, to get there (without a car) from Saalbach, you would need to go up the Zell am See Xpress, ski to the bottom station of the Areitbahn, and get the ski bus from there. Personally I’ve never done that (and I would question whether it’s worth it), but I do use the Kitzsteinhorn glacier in April, when I drive there from Saalbach. It takes about 25 minutes to drive from Saalbach to the Gletscherjet bottom station,assuming that traffic is light and the tunnel that bypasses Zell am See is open - which is not the case currently).
snow report
Thanks.

Staying in Hinterglemm but on the east side by the small Bergfriedlift. It’s a short walk to the bus stop by the tunnel entrance. I would get the bus first thing to Vierhofen and make a day of it. I’ve skied the ski circus a fair bit all be it several years ago. A day over the mountain would be nice.

Is the bus from Zell to Kaprun free with the lift pass?
snow report
@tatmanstours, thanks.

Sorry for all the questions. To confirm, the bus does not run all the way from Hinterglemm to Vierhofen then? It stops at Vorderglemm where you need to change? Does that bus just run between Vierhofen and Voderglemm then?

I note run 168 always seems to be closed? That’s a shame. Would make it easier.
snow report
Boofont wrote:
Thanks.

Staying in Hinterglemm but on the east side by the small Bergfriedlift. It’s a short walk to the bus stop by the tunnel entrance. I would get the bus first thing to Vierhofen and make a day of it. I’ve skied the ski circus a fair bit all be it several years ago. A day over the mountain would be nice.

Is the bus from Zell to Kaprun free with the lift pass?

Yes that bus is free. as are the buses within Saalbach hinterglem - its just there isnt ski bus from Viefhofen to Zell etc. pre Zell Xpress Link days I skied saalbach etc from Zell using the public paid for bus.

I'm not sure I'd bother with Kaprun unless getting a lift or a taxi at least one way. As well as the bus journeys its quite along gondola ride (? 20-30 mins maybe) up and down to the glacier skiing at Kaprun. You'd lose a lot of time out of your skiable day. Skiing in Zell is defo worth it though.
ski holidays
Boofont wrote:
@tatmanstours, thanks.

Sorry for all the questions. To confirm, the bus does not run all the way from Hinterglemm to Vierhofen then? It stops at Vorderglemm where you need to change? Does that bus just run between Vierhofen and Voderglemm then?

I note run 168 always seems to be closed? That’s a shame. Would make it easier.

The ski bus for the link to Zell runs from the Schonleiten lift station to Viehhofen, from Hinterglemm to take the ski bus to the Schonleiten

168 is a fabulous run, which has no snowmaking and unfortunately is frequently closed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, “ Sorry for all the questions. To confirm, the bus does not run all the way from Hinterglemm to Vierhofen then? It stops at Vorderglemm where you need to change? Does that bus just run between Vierhofen and Voderglemm then?

I note run 168 always seems to be closed? That’s a shame. Would make it easier.”

No problem. The answer to all four of your questions, as well as your final comment is “yes”.
latest report
Great stuff guys. Thanks very much.
snow report
@radar,

According to this timetable there are now nine departures of the #260 Postbus from Salzburg Airport to Zell am See on Saturdays, at 06.53, 08.53, 10.53, 12.53, 14.53, 16.53 and then 18.53, 19.53 and 21.53. The last 3 departures are too late to make a connection with the 680 bus up to Saalbach and Hinterglemm, so would require a taxi from Zell am See.

https://salzburg-verkehr.at/downloads/regionalbus-260-salzburg-bad-reichenhall-lofer-saalfelden-zell-am-see-2/
snow conditions
@quinton, you are right, I have deliberately ignored any that don't make the connection
snow report
@radar, however, it’s a lot more cost effective to get the bus - even a later one - from the airport, followed by a taxi from Zell am See, or even better from Maishofen, than incur the cost of a taxi transfer.
snow report
@quinton, I wonder if that why the Holiday Shuttle seems to have ceased operations?
latest report
@tatmanstours, absolutely, I’ve mentioned the connection in my post, with the taxi fare that you provided Very Happy
snow conditions
It looks like there’s a few stops in Maishofen, which one is it to connect to Saalbach please?
snow conditions
@Boofont, “Maishofen abzw Glemmtal”
ski holidays
@Boofont, I’m anticipating the next question Toofy Grin

A map from one stop to the other, you come in on the yellow road

snow report
@radar, lol. Thanks. I looked it up before but still appreciate the help. I’ve also looked it up on google street view to help me visualise. Yes, I’m sad. Very Happy

Just don’t want to be caught out. It’s my first time not using a proper transfer and not speaking German doesn’t help. It seems so simple to use the bus though and great value for money.
ski holidays
@Boofont, we were a bit slow to start using it for similar reasons, if we do miss the connection then it’s a call to taxi6620 or Rainer to pick us up, haven’t had to do it yet.
The fare is about €40
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy