Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody know if the Swedish band will be back at Soulhouse this year? (p.s. and do they have an actual band name rather than 'the swedish band!')
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snorks, probably, and all I know is that the singer/guitarist is Peter Thederan. I think they may have been referred to as “The Castello House Band”, but last year I believe they declined to do Castello in the late evening as well as the Soul House in the late afternoon/early evening.
They are excellent. The owner of the Soul House won’t permit any of the traditional après-ski music - only classic rock. One après-ski session I attended last season ended with “I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight”, followed by “I Want To Know What Love Is”, and the atmosphere was tremendous.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, I think thats a good move, I like my austrian apres-ski hits as much as the next man but can only handle so much 'Niki Lauda' and 'Johnny Däpp'. Fingers crossed he's back this year then, he really get the Soulhouse rocking!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Thederan, I have never seen anyone drink as much whilst performing live music, an amazing performance from him on a number of levels
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Landed at 1.30 today - as @Badbobby said, an interesting ride down! Taxi was caught up in traffic coming down from Saalbach (the wind was causing some of the high side vehicles problems apparently, and they just stopped, blocking everyone), so we didn’t get to the apartment until about 4 - but was good in every other respect. Light rain in resort, briefly turned to hail and back again when we went into town (twice for me - I forgot to pick up the passes -doh!) Now all set with dinner, looking forward to our penhab lessons at 10am tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow conditions / depth looking good

further info at https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/schneebericht/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty good today. Dead quiet. Getting slushy/shiny towards the bottom. Felt like a lot up top hadn’t even been pisted, but no bad thing. Very good snow up there. Stayed between schonleitenbahn and leogang.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, thanks for the advice, Penhab have agreed to send an instructor across to teach us in Fieberbrunn, just starting slightly later than normal. Glad to hear we should be in good hands!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snownewbie90 wrote:
@NickyJ, thanks for the advice, Penhab have agreed to send an instructor across to teach us in Fieberbrunn, just starting slightly later than normal. Glad to hear we should be in good hands!

Great news!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very happy with our two penhab instructors today as well (Wouter and Kuba for snowboarding and skiing respectively).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My family had Ivan from penhab today and were happy. Still quiet in terms of life queues. Haven’t waited for anything yet, famous last words. Getting a bit sugary slushy snow lower down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Penhab confirmed booking with Ivan for end of Jan, few more bits to sort but getting exciting!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great Christmas Day - over to Leogang for the world’s best chicken, then Bergeralm for happy hour and a glorious sunset, then skied down the magic carpet in the dark to Burgi’s and Spitzbub.
However unusually warm for this time of the season, so heavy going. Freezing overnight.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This post from the tourist office might be helpful for those looking for the easier slopes in the Ski Circus

www.saalbach.com/en/service/stories/top-10-pistes-for-beginners-in-saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang-fieberbrunn_m_360043
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tatmanstours wrote:
Great Christmas Day - over to Leogang for the world’s best chicken, then Bergeralm for happy hour and a glorious sunset, then skied down the magic carpet in the dark to Burgi’s and Spitzbub.
However unusually warm for this time of the season, so heavy going. Freezing overnight.

Is this the chicken man? hendl-fischerei.at

Looking to book it for Friday lunch with my parents. If I wanted to book a 6 person seat “inside with a good view”, how should I describe it?

Interesting snow today. Very icy early on then softened around 11am. Still no queues. Mentally impressive
ski holidays
@Badbobby, “ Is this the chicken man? hendl-fischerei.at

Looking to book it for Friday lunch with my parents. If I wanted to book a 6 person seat “inside with a good view”, how should I describe it?”

Yes, it is. I would have thought describe as you have above. There is less risk of banging music if you ask to be downstairs in the lower restaurant.
snow report
Perfect! Thank you!
snow report
Reading the above posts about kids in ski lessons could well be a cause for concern as to the future .Having to organise instructors to cross the valley to get to another village to give children lessons tells me there are arnt as many starters as there used to be. My own grand kids last year had to go private as the kids ski school wasnt going to run in their week(elswhere) as not enough numbers to be viable. This year theve formed their own gang of 8 adults with10 kids under 9 and joined up with friends and contacted the ski school when booking where they are going to ensure classes either group or private will run to be told it may be private only.
Looking back to the days I started out was groups of at least 10 and when our kids started with lessons never had the problem that some are facing now . Its becoming more obvious every year that the age profile of skiers is rising I will be 70 by the time mrs ski for fun and I get to saalbach to ski and party in early march . In years past would have been a rarity now will have many cohorts all intent on keeping going reckon it must be the call of the mountains that keep us on the piste so to speak

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 27-12-23 7:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@ski for fun, when our girls started out we stuck with Esprit for the in house nursery / lessons combo, for the small lesson sizes and snow rangers with them when younger and clubs / supervised lunches. The kids had fun and so did we. From what I am seeing they have massively scaled back this offering, presumely cost to deliver vs demand not being sufficient which is very sad.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, that is sad to read. My lad and I did Esprit too, twice. Was great for me as a single dad. My lad made friends and so did I. But, it wasn’t cheap and I can only assume their models not working. Pretty sure they only did France anyway so sorry for “off-topic” chat. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Boofont wrote:
@NickyJ, that is sad to read. My lad and I did Esprit too, twice. Was great for me as a single dad. My lad made friends and so did I. But, it wasn’t cheap and I can only assume their models not working. Pretty sure they only did France anyway so sorry for “off-topic” chat. Toofy Grin

Thats part my point when we first used themy they had places in Saas Fee, St Anton and Gressoney as well as France. We have watched them gradually have less and less, the workkng regulations and now Brexit haven't help the model.

Edit: Oh and Selva, I came close to booking there as as well as Saas Fee and wished we did before they dropped from their books

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 27-12-23 12:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ski for fun, I won’t go into the ageing demographic there plenty elsewhere on SnowHeads on that.

There are half a dozen ski schools in Fieberbrunn, it was a personal choice to use Penhab in Hinterglemm. Just in case anyone thinks there are no ski schools there Toofy Grin
snow report
Is anyone able to recommend a private ski instructor in Saalbach please? Thanks
ski holidays
@franga, what level and age? Or try searching Penhab in this thread Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi all! I need to park in Saalbach tomorrow about 8.30am - do you think the car parks will be full by then? Thanks so much
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@franga, what level and age? Or try searching Penhab in this thread Very Happy

For a friend and I (50Ys old). Have been boarding for 25 years but have now started to ski (very tentatively). Thanks
snow conditions
@Kate2004, you should be ok. I find 9/9.15 is the point at which you might get the last spot in either the kohlmais or schattberg car park. I haven't been this season so if there's anything different happening I don't know about it.
snow report
Thank you that’s great!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@franga, Penhab, Peter Hadril at Easy Ski, Johnny ( can’t remember his surname) at https://www.skischule-saalbach.at/en/

@tatmanstours, has more recommendations
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@franga, Penhab, Peter Hadril at Easy Ski, Johnny ( can’t remember his surname) at https://www.skischule-saalbach.at/en/

@tatmanstours, has more recommendations

Excellent, thanks very much.
ski holidays
Went to Zell today, more out of principle and our apartment being ideally located to get to the ZellExpress.

Not a massive fan. Fiddly to get around, particularly so to get back to the zellexpress and I thought all the runs felt the same. Perhaps easier just to pay to go on the 680 bus and not be a slave to time?

Nice views though and probably very good in average weather given it’s almost all tree lined. Kids prevented me trying the long black runs home.

I wouldn’t bother again if I wasn’t staying by the Schontleitenbahn.

IMHO of course.
snow report
Two quick ones

- I’m getting severe FOMO on the chicken man - where exactly is it, and if we turn up tomorrow on spec, will we get a table (view optional), or do we definitely need to book?

- I have a desire to inflict the full schlager experience on my kids (all now 18+) - which bar in saalbach would be your recommended weapon of choice for that (most of the places on our walks home seem to play generic europop).
snow report
@Pejoli, see Tatmantours post earlier on the chicken man https://www.hendl-fischerei.at/

Part 2, The Hinterhagalm https://www.hinterhag-alm.at/ or Burgi’s
ski holidays
Spacey (Geordie entertainer) has just informed me that he’s doing a gig at the Spitzbub (opposite Bauers Schialm, just up from the church) this evening (Thursday 28th) at 17.00. It’s usually an absolute riot, so highly recommended. Spacey (for those who don’t know him) has a special talent for working his audience and getting everyone partying like crazy.
ski holidays
@Pejoli, the Chicken Man (Mama Thresl’s Hendl Fischerei) is at the top of the Steinbergbahn gondola at Leogang. There were plenty of tables when I was there on Christmas Day, but of course it’s now much busier, so I don’t know whether it will be possible to get a table easily without booking. One thing that does make it easier is fine weather, as that allows all the tables outside to be used. In fact, in fine weather it’s better to be outside, sitting in a position to enjoy the fantastic view to the north of the piste and the valley.
latest report
@franga, see my list of recommended ski instructors on the previous page of this thread (p.12)
snow conditions
There’s a massive love heart in the snow opposite our apartment. Is this linked to the earlier queries about proposals?!
snow conditions
Holiday over Sad great week. Enjoyed saalbach as much as st Anton and Ischgl.

Didn’t get into the chicken man, however, it was overrun by braying rich euro types. Think I’m glad I missed it, although the good looked great.

Appreciate the input on this thread.
latest report
Badbobby wrote:
There’s a massive love heart in the snow opposite our apartment. Is this linked to the earlier queries about proposals?!

Not me! We're not there until end of Jan... Good idea though. I'll add it to my.list Very Happy
ski holidays
@Badbobby, glad you enjoyed Saalbach, quick question on Taxi Pingzau that you said you had booked, was everything ok?

They are coming up cheapest I can find online at €180, the usual company I use are at €198 so tempted to give them a try.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy