Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Snownewbie90, welcome to Snowheads!

Definitely look for a ski school in Fieberbrunn - if you can make the first lift and get across to Saalbach for a lesson start at 0930 then you're good enough to not need a lesson... or it is a 60 minute drive in each direction. Not worth it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all, just really starting to plan out our trip now Very Happy. Kids are all booked into ski school at Skill. I skiied as a child but only picked it up again in my 30s. While I love it, I am a pretty timid, love-blue-runs kind of skiier and still working to get my skiis fully parallel. (I also love xc skiing since there's no/little gravity involved). Could anyone recommend a good ski-instructor for myself? Would love to get a 2 hr lesson to correct some bad habits technique-wise and build some confidence going faster. Also my husband, is an intermediate-advanced skiier ( if there is such a thing?). After living in Whistler for a year, he'll happily make his way down a black run and off-piste if there's decent powder. Is there anyone local he could pay (a local ski instructor?) to take him off-piste for an hour or two if there's any sort of decent powder the week we're there? Not a lesson per se, more like a guide. We don't know the area at all so would never go off-piste on his own...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might not help anyone to choose or avoid an instructor in Saalbach but I took my first ever lesson there what’ll soon be two years ago. Had such a sour experience that I just feel like I have to share.

Walked into a ski school in the town centre next to M-Preis cause I had seen their instructors the day before in their green jackets. “Snow Academy” I think it was called. Was quite honest about my level and articulate about what I would like to focus on. “We have just the instructor for you” they said and I went and booked a half-day private lesson for the day after tomorrow.

On the day of the lesson - instead of the young Hermann Maier or Marcel Hirscher I was expecting - the instructor turned out to be a British bloke who - for his defence - straight up told me on the first lift up that he’s more like a guide. Got two “tips” during those three hours: “It’d be great if you had your weight a tiny bit more forward” and “you can let your jacket zipper point down all the time doing those kinds of turns you just did”. Then he just picked another run for us to do and another lift to get up. No drills, nothing, just an occasional “looks great!” etc. For the first hour or so I thought he was still evaluating me but around midway through the lesson when I asked when would we go to work - and he stayed silent - I knew I’d wasted my time and money.

I don’t blame the guy, but I do blame the ski school for being after my money so much that they just couldn’t turn my business down for the lack of a suitable instructor that day. They must have competent instructors and the guy I was with must know the area inside out, but it was just a horrible fit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snownewbie90 wrote:
We are headed to Fieberbrunn at the start of January as part of a group of two fairly experienced skiers and two novice skiers (2nd time). I was hoping to get some private lessons for myself and the other beginner, I've seen the recommendations for penhab, but it seems to be based over in saalbach, does anyone have any recommendations for Fieberbrunn, or how easy is it to get across to saalbach?

Have you messaged Penhab to ask?

My girls had 2 private lessons with a Peter and Reini today. They both had a great time. My daughters are 14 and 17 and started at ages 3 and 4 respectively. My 14yr old is ASD and Dyspraxic. They both felt they got good tuition and working on technique which is already good by a "brits" standard if you know what I mean. Wednesday we do it again but I will share my youngest lessons - not my eldest I would hold her back too much. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've booked a private lesson for my family with Penhab on xmas day. Done via email and i have to whatsapp a day or so before to confirm location. Like an early 90s rave. Will report back.

Our return transfer is €400 with Taxi Pinzgau. Again, i will report back...

Fingers crossed that the Bergfex weather forecast is spot on!

In terms of the ski area, couple of questions.

1) Which of the snow parks is most younger child friendly if i wanted to get them onto rollers and more light snow cross type stuff to improve balance etc

2) Are there any infamous pinch points to avoid at certain times of the day. Happy to go the long way or bus to avoid! Kids are 6 and 8 so patience at 3pm in a massive queue will be minimal (from all parties!)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Badbobby wrote:
Done via email and i have to whatsapp a day or so before to confirm location. Like an early 90s rave.

Many (vague!) memories from back then, no whatsapp though! pagers and telephone boxes, and follow the convoy! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
any recommendations for a ski instructor in the area?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ousekjarr wrote:
@Snownewbie90, welcome to Snowheads!

Definitely look for a ski school in Fieberbrunn - if you can make the first lift and get across to Saalbach for a lesson start at 0930 then you're good enough to not need a lesson... or it is a 60 minute drive in each direction. Not worth it.

I need to test myself in that challenge later in the season Razz
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mother hucker,
“any recommendations for a ski instructor in the area?”

I would suggest Penhab Ski & Snowboard School. Run by Reini Woisi, there are some well regarded and experienced Bulgarian instructors employed by him, including Georgi Popov, Iavor Vasilew, Kris Dragoshinov.

Experienced and competent British instructors include Nick Tilby and John Walker (Furstauer), Simon Hodges (Snow Academy), Stuart Watt (Easyski), and the ebullient après-ski king of Saalbach, David Spacey (who told me today that he’s got his season pass and is keen to do some teaching to supplement his earnings as an entertainer). Spacey is best described as freelance, but he occasionally works for Penhab.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, cheers for that. I'll contact some of the above and see what they've to say
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mother hucker, we had guests last season all beginners and British who used Furstauer, teenage daughter and parents and were pleased with the teaching.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Staying in Fieberbrunn over New Year. Is it possible to buy 6-day SuperSkiCard passes either online or in person? Kitzbüheler Alpen website seems to suggest they exist, but they don't show on the Saalbach ticket office website.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are there any websites with a detailed forecast for the next few days?
Our ski instructor said the weather was potentially bad with lifts closed for wind so trying to plan a bit.

Penhab were great today, thanks for the recommendation
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lillyfait, bergfex, the app will give you 960 & 2000 meter forecast, check the Saalbach app for lift operations
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DidierCouch, you can get the superski pass for less days, you buy it direct, the Saalbach pass gives you Zell and Kaprun, to be honest if your are skiing 6 days why would you want the super ski pass?

Anyway here is where you get it, https://www.superskicard.com/en/ticket-shop.html#type=several-days-ticket&date=today&days=6&hasPackages=false&hasTickets=true
snow report
@radar, thanks. As for why, would quite like to ski Kitzbühel one of the days
ski holidays
@DidierCouch, it would be worth looking at a 5 in 7 days pass for Saalbach and then just a single day ticket for Kitz. It might work out cheaper.
latest report
@DidierCouch, we are going to be doing the same Toofy Grin
snow report
@DidierCouch, a 6 day pass for the SkiCircus is €377

A 6 day Superski pass is €394, so the extra flexibility costs you €17

Alternatively, you could buy a 5 in 7 pass for the SkiCircus at €350, and then pay for a single day ticket in Kitz at €66 - but this only makes sense if there is some doubt over whether you'd be skiing all 6 days, or over whether you'd actually do the Kitz day.
ski holidays
@andybomb1, <snap> !
ski holidays
Personally I wouldn’t bother with Kitz unless you know the area or are going with someone who can show you around.

I can see the attraction of jumping on the train for a different day and I would be thinking the same had I not been to Kitz in the past. Better to save the money and make sure you do as much of Saalbach and over to Zell if you can.
ski holidays
@DidierCouch, just ask for a Superski pass at the normal lift pass office in Fieberbrunn. You can easily get to Kitz, Maria Alm or even Pillersee/Hochfilzen from where you are and the last two are probably going to be far less crowded....
snow report
While we're talking passes guys, any benefit to pre-booking? I think the days of discounts for doing so in most resorts are long gone. In the unlikely event anyone can offer a suggestion for a discount then please let me know. Thanks. Very Happy
ski holidays
Is there a bus from Zell am See to Saalbach, and if so, what time does it run until in the evenings please?
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Is there a bus from Zell am See to Saalbach, and if so, what time does it run until in the evenings please?

Sorry, have remembered how to google, yes there is, postbus 680, last bus at quarter past seven.
latest report
@Kramer, @radar, has mentioned this site loads which is very handy for working out buses. You can get an app also.

https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/
snow report
I’m looking for best options to track me and family while we’re up on the hill, as we may be doing separate things, and will be meeting up at lunchtimes with my non-skiing wife at the top.

I was looking at Glympse to enable this across iPhones and android (any other suggestions?) but noticed on the saalbach app there is a buddy finder - is this something that does that, or is it more for hook-ups (skiing/snowboarding obviously ! Smile ). Wasn’t very clear from the app or the documentation.
snow conditions
Lillyfait wrote:
Are there any websites with a detailed forecast for the next few days?
Our ski instructor said the weather was potentially bad with lifts closed for wind so trying to plan a bit.

Penhab were great today, thanks for the recommendation

I find meteoblue does a good job of presenting the weather data - their meteograms give a good summary of conditions, and cloud height/cover in particular, and they also give an hourly view.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Pejoli, WhatsApp does it. If everyone on your family group shares their live location it works very well. You need to make sure that mobile data is on and it also works in the background, or not just when the app is in use..... or something.... Best to have a dry run before you leave.

Go into your family's special WhatsApp group, press on the paperclip and select Location. Share live location for 8 hours.
snow report
My kids are 6 and 8. So my safety measure is giving them radios and an AirTag each. So hopefully a friendly Austrian can help them contact me on the radio and the AirTag will help zero in. Used it when they were in ski school earlier this year to get a vague idea of where there were. They don’t of course update every second.
ski holidays
Klamm Franzer wrote:
@Pejoli, WhatsApp does it. If everyone on your family group shares their live location it works very well. You need to make sure that mobile data is on and it also works in the background, or not just when the app is in use..... or something.... Best to have a dry run before you leave.

Go into your family's special WhatsApp group, press on the paperclip and select Location. Share live location for 8 hours.

Brilliant - how have I never found that!

(Though I did spend about 10 minutes thinking it was a (great) windup - on iPhones there’s no paper clip to be found - it’s a ‘+’ , bottom left).
snow conditions
@Klamm Franzer, really smart. It would have probably been called lateral thinking a few years back.
ski holidays
Might be handy to know:
Cash only Mountain restaurants
Thurneralm 156
Pfefferalm 70a
Bergeralm 158 / 166
Winkler Alm 30, 12er Kogel midstation
Hintermaisalm 38
I've added in what run they are on, I understand that the Xandl Stadl now takes card, they do have their own ATM as does the Bergeralm.
There maybe others, I can't think of any at the moment, I always have a bit of cash on me just in case.
Bank run ATM's are at the 12er Kogel and Schoneliten base lift stations.
Have I missed any?
ski holidays
how much snow came down yesterday? is it raining at base station level now?
snow report
It was dumping right down to town yesterday but when we left at 2am in the taxi it was rain.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, is your trip finished now?
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
@NickyJ, is your trip finished now?
yes, now in taxi on way home from the airport. The amount coming down, if you have just arrived, should be wonderful. The conditions were good even before it came
snow report
@Mother hucker, I don’t know the facts and figures, but it’s been pretty vile weather, with wind and rain and stormy conditions. As a bit of a fair weather skier at the best of times, I’ve been sheltering indoors.
On looking out of my window (as I write this), you’ll be glad to hear that everything is still completely white, and the roofs are still snow-covered. There’s a fine, drizzly rain falling. On looking up at Schattberg, there is new snow on the trees from just above the village - from about 1300m upwards.
According to my phone, it’s currently 3 degrees outside, rising to 5 degrees this afternoon. Thankfully it’s forecast to drop to -2 overnight and then to start off partially sunny tomorrow morning.
snow conditions
Just arrived in Salzburg. My worst landing for a long long time! Can’t wait to test out the new snow.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, good time then? I don't arrive till Wednesday hopefully the weather and Avi level will have settled and there'll still be some untracked to find higher up
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy