Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@hobbiteater, I was looking at a smaller apartment in this block. Two bedrooms but only one bathroom, might be OK? Tried Air bnb?

https://www.lorivita.at/en/apartments/apartment-vittoria-with-2-bedrooms
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, you can walk down to the Bernkogel lift (less than 5 minutes) and head up to the top and do the blue all the way down it a nice run before lunch, then go up again and work your way to Hinterglemm do red 85, not frequently used, the start is behind the Sunliner 4er chair.

Alternatively walk down the hill a few meters on the left there’s a small cut through to a lift which takes you on to the Kholmais slope and you can ski down to the Kholmais Bhan go to the top there are a nice blue and red go to the mid station back up and take blue 156 working your way over to Wildenkarkogel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, do download the Saalbach app to check what is open Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hobbiteater, I might be able to recommend an apartment, but for how many and what dates?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting day weather wise, warm in the morning but cold and crunchy in the afternoon, skied over to Leogang 211 was open for the first time took it all the way to the bottom only a few people on it.

Lunched at the Stockalm the food is good I can recommend the pulled burger, the grostl and the potato soup, keep meaning to try the cakes.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
radar wrote:
@NickyJ, you can walk down to the Bernkogel lift (less than 5 minutes) and head up to the top and do the blue all the way down it a nice run before lunch, then go up again and work your way to Hinterglemm do red 85, not frequently used, the start is behind the Sunliner 4er chair.

Alternatively walk down the hill a few meters on the left there’s a small cut through to a lift which takes you on to the Kholmais slope and you can ski down to the Kholmais Bhan go to the top there are a nice blue and red go to the mid station back up and take blue 156 working your way over to Wildenkarkogel

Reason behind question is I have the choice of direction but fo either choices have noticeably better conditions or are they much of a muchness?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, Jan 2025, as they are not overly common trying to get ahead of the game. Either w/c 18th or 25th. 4 people.

@Boofont, thanks, yes that seems the sort of thing and indeed has two bathrooms
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@radar, they do a very, very good chilli con carne and that cake counter has seen a lot of action from me! Sometimes with a coffee, sometimes with a beer.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Klamm Franzer, yes the Chilly is good, good to know the cakes are impressive too Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 16-12-23 18:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, tomorrow is going to be warm , the very top of the Bernkogel is great to get a feel as a first run, the second half is more challenging and not worth doing in the afternoon on a warm day.

We skied the red and blue off the Kholmais this morning as it’s the sunny side they are best in the morning

So if you want a gentle first run Bernkogel Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@radar, thankyou
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, having since my arrival last Sunday been sheltering hermit-like (or wimp-like, if you prefer) from the storms, today’s dawn revealed idyllic weather, so out I went to get those ski legs back. And what a magnificent day! A day that reminded me why I enjoy the sport of skiing so much, and also why the middle of December is one of my favourite times of the season to ski in Saalbach.
Skied over to Leogang, did the Steinberg and Asitz runs to the bottom, inspected the new-look Chicken Man (Hendl Fischerei)(who would have thought it could be made so much better?!), and ended up at the Bergeralm for Happy Hour (for a change). Two jagatees later skied down 166/152 in the dark (with head torch).
A lovely first day. Pistes hard-packed and relatively quiet. Some powder off-piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some powder offpiste? Cracking conditions today offpiste @tatmanstours Smile.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 16-12-23 20:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, pray tell more, what has happened at my favourite restaurant/bar, Hendl Fischerei, aka the chicken man ?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Booked! Coming back on 27th Jan with the youngest daughter, we have the SH bug, staying in Kohlmais this time.

I'm looking forward to it - I just have transfers to sort from SLZ, and have requested prices from the local taxi firms. Very Happy
ski holidays
@gt3, are you staying in hotel Kohlmais ?
snow conditions
@gt3, don’t suppose you’re on the Lufthansa flight from Heathrow? We have spaces in our transfer minivan from Salzburg to the Kohlmais on 27th Jan…..
latest report
@gt3, for private transfer I have yet to find anyone cheaper than a Salzburg taxi company, they have always been the best price and never let me down. www.salzburgtaxi.eu
snow report
@gilo - no coming in on the 1050 from Edinburgh @ribblevalleyblue - yes we are staying at Hotel Kohlmais and thx for taxi pointer!
ski holidays
@gt3, from an earlier post

How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en last season it was Euro 60 each way, however if you are a solo traveller it was Euro 100, if there are four or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Edit: 30 November added Snow Camps transfer

Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe is offering a shuttle type service. Initially this was to Kaprun and Zell. However, he has extended the service to include Saalbach Hinterglemm.

https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/

Private transfers, companies based in Saalbach Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/, Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/

Holiday Shuttle as far as I can ascertain won't be providing a service this season

Public bus (260) from Salzburg airport, the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is currently Euro 15 each way, change at Maishofen (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust sops, the bus going up the valley will wait if there is delay to the incoming bus, mention to the driver you are connecting to Saalbach

The public bus frequency has increased this winter to check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/,

You can go via Zell Am See, take the bus to Salzburg HBF train to Zell there maybe a change, then bus 680 to Saalbach or a taxi (€60), last connection at the weekend from the airport 14.31 and coming back 19.20.

You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the live ski bus times, handy for when you are in resort, it’s been a great discovery.

Updated : 1 December with information from @Yorksboy, @ribblevalleyblue,

“@tatmanstours, pray tell more, what has happened at my favourite restaurant/bar, Hendl Fischerei, aka the chicken man ?”

@ribblevalleyblue, It’s actually quite amazing how improved it is. They’ve extended and opened up the whole bottom floor, which is now probably the best part of the restaurant. And they’ve considerably widened the terrace outside (the bottom floor), and added some really cool seating.
And there are new toilets for both floors (underneath the ones that you had to use before).
I didn’t stay for a meal, but it all looks rather swish.
I should have had a squint at the menu to see what this season’s chicken will cost. I was shocked later at the Bergeralm to see how much the meals have shot up - €9.50 for a gulasch soup!
And it’s getting to the stage where a tomahawk steak doesn’t cost that much more than a burger!
I hasten to add that today was my first outing, so I haven’t checked out the other restaurants.
latest report
Picking up on @tatmanstours, comment on the cost of a Goulash soup, last season I kept a note of prices these are in brackets, I haven’t been gorging on Goulash soup, just made a note! I did have it at the Maisalm and it was good.

Maisalm (8.90) / 9.90
Atzitz brau and Alte Schmide (8.50) 9.00
Wildenkarhutte 9.10
Stockl alm large 8.20 .5l, small .3l 6.20
Bergeralm 9.50 (Tatmantours)
Hochhorndler 7.90

The most expensive last season was in the waiter section at the Breitfussalm (11.90)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 17-12-23 16:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@radar, you need to find a way to pin your transfer guide. Very helpful, you must have shared it a few times now. Lol. Much appreciated anyway. Thank you.
snow conditions
@radar, perhaps prices haven’t moved so much. I don’t have so much a memory of last season’s prices, more a vague impression. (And gulasch soup is my staple lunch - by far the best one is the Hecherhuette).
Where’s the Breuistalm?
ski holidays
+1 on transport post pin, super helpful, quotes for taxi transfers so far:

€420 rtn with Salzburg taxi co

€440 rtn with Saalbach taxi inc meet & greet (not asked but added value)

Will update as I get last couple in, not going to do shuttle - it comes in at €60 each way per head and likely wait “till full” which is fair enough on inbound.
ski holidays
gt3 wrote:
+1 on transport post pin, super helpful, quotes for taxi transfers so far:

€420 rtn with Salzburg taxi co

€440 rtn with Saalbach taxi inc meet & greet (not asked but added value)

Will update as I get last couple in, not going to do shuttle - it comes in at €60 each way per head and likely wait “till full” which is fair enough on inbound.

To add to your list : taxi.booking.com - £360 return, and free cancellation (that’s for an 8 person carrier)
latest report
I’m encouraging my guests to get the public bus, especially as it leaves from directly outside the airport terminal, is such a more regular service than previously, and costs only €15 each way.
Friends used it last season.
And the fall back position, if anything goes wrong, is to just get the train from Salzburg to Zell am See, then a local bus or taxi for the last 10 miles to Saalbach.
snow report
radar wrote:
Picking up on @tatmanstours, comment on the cost of a Goulash soup, last season I kept a note of prices these are in brackets, I haven’t been gorging on Goulash soup, just made a note! I did have it at the Maisalm and it was good.

Maisalm (8.90) / 9.90
Wildenkarhutte 9.10

The most expensive last season was in the waiter section at the Breuistalm (11.90)

At AlpenOase SONNHOF Cabrio-buffet. Gulaschsuppe - 7,80. 1,50 for the bread I took
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, @gt3, if I could I would! Having answered the question a few times last season, as soon Tatmantours opened the page I made sure it’s on page 1 easier to cut and paste

@Pejoli, have you used them?

I’m with Tatmantours we use the 260/680 whenever possible.
snow report
radar wrote:

Maisalm (8.90) / 9.90
Wildenkarhutte 9.10

The most expensive last season was in the waiter section at the Breuistalm (11.90)

At AlpenOase SONNHOF Cabrio-buffet. Gulaschsuppe - 7,80. 1,50 for the bread I took
snow report
@Boofont, @gt3, if I could I would! Having answered the question a few times last season, as soon Tatmantours opened the page I made sure it’s on page 1 easier to cut and paste

snow report
“ I’m with Tatmantours we use the 260/680 whenever possible.”

And, if you’ve got a nice, kindly, helpful host, they might offer to pick you up from the bus stop down the valley at Maishofen to save you having to change buses.
ski holidays
@gt3, after chatting with @radar on page 8 (I think) on this post I’m doing the bus from SZG. At around €15 each (my son and I, he’s 16) vs much more for a transfer it seems a no-brainier. I’m a single dad so need to watch my pennies. Lol. Very Happy
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
@radar, perhaps prices haven’t moved so much. I don’t have so much a memory of last season’s prices, more a vague impression. (And gulasch soup is my staple lunch - by far the best one is the Hecherhuette).
Where’s the Breuistalm?

It's on the Zowolferkogel on blue 30 above the Winkler Alm and Genus 12, it also has a accommodation and a youth hostel?

I think you are right and that prices have moved, we certainly felt they have, certainly at the Eva Alm large beer over 7 euro at Burgi's it's 5 and a bit.
snow conditions
@radar, do you mean the Breitfussalm?
I’ve always kept away from the Eva Alm for that reason. Would rather give my custom to the Spitzbub or Bobby’s or Underbar.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 17-12-23 18:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@tatmanstours, Embarassed hadn't noticed my error ! corrected Very Happy
snow conditions
radar wrote:

My booking is apparently being fulfilled by HRI Limousinenservice & Transfers - I’m using them next Saturday for the first time, so will report back.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
Day spas are normally offered by the Hotels Kendler and Alpenresort

It was a no from Alpenresort, but a yes from Kendler - €50 a session, after 3pm

For completeness, I also got No’s from -
Thurnerhof
Landhaus Gappmaier
Vorderronach

I didn’t try Sonne, as it’s a way’s away from where we are staying.
latest report
@Pejoli, great, let us know how it goes and I’ll edit my post Very Happy
ski holidays
We are headed to Fieberbrunn at the start of January as part of a group of two fairly experienced skiers and two novice skiers (2nd time). I was hoping to get some private lessons for myself and the other beginner, I've seen the recommendations for penhab, but it seems to be based over in saalbach, does anyone have any recommendations for Fieberbrunn, or how easy is it to get across to saalbach?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy