Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

January 4-dayers?

Poster: A snowHead
Colin B, I think what worries me about any of the big French resorts is how much busier they are likely to be, plus there's no need for a huge ski area for 4 days. Add to which I'm not a huge fan of catered chalets, I'd always prefer a hotel (I like the privacy, en-suite, TV in room, choice of menu, etc.). However, it is within budget, just.

andy, the hotel I was looking at is in Campitello. I don't know anything about the area, such as suitability for beginners, altitude/snow record, off-slope facilities, etc.

I'm not bothered too much about hotels that are a long walk or bus ride from the lifts if there are lockers at the lift stations, but without lockers, I'd only want a minimal walk carrying equipment.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, ah right. no bus required, although hint #1 is to get bus to canazei (5mins) and get lift up from there if the lift queue is long. Lockers @ campitello cable car. Canazei (Belvedere area) = perfect big wide open beginner territory (and linked with Campitello). Birthday Bash was in Campitello.
Not been to any of the other places so can't comment on them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andy, looking at the piste map online there are no accessible blue runs in Campitello so I guess it's better to get the bus to Canazei? I guess this would negate the need for equipment lockers at Campitello unless there are some at Canazei too?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, strange - I'd have labelled the link between Campitello & Canazei as blue. One way is straight with no turns, the type where you just let the skis run, the other is a bit more winding down thru the trees (maybe it's a road in summer?). Then a lot of the Belvedere area is just one big blue plateau (with some red bits). I think blue on Sella Ronda would be just a flat path where you have to push (and there is one like that!) - aka green anywhere else.
edit: I'm sure another birthday basher can confirm - there were 1-2 less experienced sliders amongst the group (that managed the full Sella Ronda circuit).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy, my friend will only have had a few lessons at Tamworth before she goes, so essentially a complete beginner and will need a decent nursery slope and some gentle blue runs to progress to. This is why I was thinking Passo Tonale might be a good idea. Rauris in Austria is also billed as an excellent beginner resort, but I'm just a bit concerned about the possibility of poor conditions relatively early on in the season.

It's getting to be a bit of a minefield, I'm sure there's nowhere near this much choice when I'm planning my main ski holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Don't think about "low" for Austria. The Austrian resorts are all relatively "low" but do not seem to worry about having Christmas/New Year as one of the two main high seasons. You are talking January - I'd be more worried about how damned cold it can be! Laughing

As for the bus rides - have you actually looked at the location of the hotels against the lifts? Scheffau is not that big that a short walk is sometimes quicker than waiting for a bus. I can't remember what Rauris is like as it is donkey's years since I skied there and I had my own transport at the time anyway!

Practically all the Austrian set ups have storage lockers in the vicinity of the main lifts if not actually in the buildings themselves.

Still think you'll come in way under your budget if you put together your own package by the way. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say Scheffau, in the SkiWelt you'll be able to find good skiing even in a poor snow year (although I've only had one in 7 or so years of going there). You really don't need to worry about the altitude. Definitely wouldn't go Passa Tonale. I don't know anything about the other Italian one, but for the extra day skiing, I'd certainly look into it if I were you.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, why not Passo Tonale?

Samerberg Sue, I realise this about Austria and my main ski holiday is to Kitzbuhel again in March. This is just an extra early short break to introduce my friend to the delights of the mountains. I realise the further east you go in the Alps the lower the snow line so to speak. I guess my only concern is because it's so much earlier in the season. However, it's very reassuring to know that most Austrian resorts have lift station lockers for equipment. Anything more than a five minute walk with equipment does not appeal to me without this feature. Thing is, I can't deny the appeal of an extra day by choosing the Italian option. DIY is not a consideration for me. Obviously flights and transfers cost the same whether a short break or a full week and I can't find anything out of my local airport for less than £150 return. Add cost of transfers, hotel and lift pass on to that and it doesn't begin to compete with TO prices, not to mention the hassle and worry of having to organise it all myself and what happens if any link in the chain goes wrong.

I guess I feel the same about Scheffau as I do about the big French resorts. It feels a bit of a waste of a large ski area (and more expensive lift pass) to spend only 3 or 4 days there mostly on the nursery slopes and easy blue slopes. I'd love to do Ski Welt properly one year, with my more adventurous ski buddies.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
love the 4 dayer used to go super early on thursday could be on the slopes by midday if i didnt have to wait for pesky skiers hiring gear.. and coudl ski till 3pm on the sunday.. got a bit middle aged about the whole thing now and go out sunday and back weds to avoid the crowds a bit .. monday to thursday would be perfect!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, Admitadly I've only been there once, and fairly late season (was on an Easter rugby tour in Italy, but as we had a coach for the full trip a few of us decided to take advantage of it), but I found it pretty drab and boring - it just seemed soulless! If it was just for the skiing, OK, but if it's your mate's first time in the hills, you should take her somewhere where she can get the full chocolate-box experience.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, that's a fair point I guess. It's not the prettiest resort, but I remember the skiing was pretty good. You're right thought, she's likely to be more impressed with Austria.

I've been looking at Seefeld and Niederau too, they seem to tick all the boxes and are on budget with flights from Birmingham. Anyone got any opinions on these? Niederau was actually the location for my first ever school ski trip but that was back in 1978, so I don't remember much.

The only downside to Austria is that they are 4-night/3-day trips rather than 5-night/4days, but slightly cheaper because of this.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, I think I agree that for the chocolate box experience then Austria would win over some other locations. And there is something delightful about Niederau - I think it was 1971 that I first went there and we have been back on and off ever since - always spending Christmas and New Year there for about ten years with the kids, until about ten years ago. And for three or four days could not be better - we were back there in March this year for that length of time. Nowhere is very far, and it all comes back to the bottom if you know what I mean.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've skied on half of Seefeld before (was free on my lift pass this season), and wasn't particularly impressed either tbh, skiing was again fairly bland, and an OLD cramped furnicular was the main uplift. The other half of the resort (a short bus ride away) may be better though.

If you find anything to Westendorf, that would be ideal - my 'rents usually flew/fly from B'ham. I think Scheffau would be fine though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll say it; I find 4 dayers a tad annoying. Even with evening flights on Thursday night, quick transfer, and late flights back on Monday evening I find the whole thing a bit rushed and unsatisfactory. I'll go on them when they're offered (got at least 2 sorted for next season already), but I would MUCH rather do a full week (got 2 of those in the pipeline as well)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, these are Tuesday to Saturday trips offered by the TOs to bring everything back into line following Tuesday to Tuesday trips over Christmas. My original point was that it did seem a fair bit of travelling for 3 days of skiing, but at less than half the price of an equivalent week-long holiday, it makes a second trip just about manageable for me. I'm already booked to go to Kitzbuhel in March.
snow report
Pamski, thanks for that. I still have the black and white photos of me skiing in Niederau in 1978. The snow looks amazing!

clarky999, it sounds like a lovely quaint small town on the tourist board website and bland easy skiing is probably precisely what my friend would need. There are a couple of options in Ski Welt too (Soll and Scheffau I think). There's also a few options in Schneewinkel area. However, none of these areas proclaim to be largely beginner-terrain. Not sure how much that matters as long as there are decent nursery slopes and a few easy blues to progress too. I just wonder whether I will feel a bit cheated having lots of nice cruisey red runs about that I can't use! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

I'll probably be squeezing in a few 2-day ski trips, with no days taken as annual leave.

Same here!

We have just booked our first 1 night dash for next season Very Happy

As Mrs B is a teacher we are stuck with school hols Sad or weekends.

However, Easyjet have just launched Manchester to Munich flights which fit in well with our "no time off work but ski 1.5 days in the Alps" philosophy! In the past we've made regular 480 mile round trips to Stansted for a Saturday night in the Alps - so Manchester will be a bit of a bonus in comparison Very Happy

We fly at 6.15 am on Saturday, land at Munich at 9 am, then fly back at 21.15 Sunday, land at 22.20 and get home to bed by 1am -ish. It would be a shame not to go at £55 return Very Happy Only 23 weeks to go....
ski holidays
Bergmeister, lol, if you can manage one-night dashes then a 4-nighter is positively long-term! Laughing
snow conditions
Done deal. In order to take advantage of the BOGOF lift pass offer we have booked already. Even if we wait until last minute I doubt we'd get that much of a discount. Sorted. We're going to Scheffau.

Will probably ask for some advice nearer the time regarding lessons for my friend. She will have done up to level 4 at Tamworth by then, so I'm thinking maybe either a private lesson on the first day or morning only ski school for each of the 3 days. All dependent on cost of course. Not sure how it all works, it's 26 years since I went to ski school.

Anyway, YAY! Two ski holidays next year. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Nice one, have fun. Make sure you get over to the Westendorf side for half a day or so whilst you're there too.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, drop me a reminder nearer the time and I'll come over and pick you up to go to Westerndorf - brilliant skiing especially for new skiers who are managing blues OK.

I only live 25 minutes from Scheffau, so it is virtually in my backyard! wink
snow report
Samerberg Sue, that would be fantastic! I might pick your brains nearer the time regarding tuition for my friend if you know anything about that. Does the Ski Welt lift pass include Westerndorf too? It doesn't seem to be lift-linked with the rest of Ski Welt, but I do remember getting there from Kitzbuhel in 2008.

clarky999, thanks. I'm unbelievably excited about having two ski holidays to look forward to. It's a first for me!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, yep all included - you ski down to Brixen or Hofgarten and take a quick shuttle across. There is another way to link on skis but I think it involves a couple of red runs which may not suit your friend (yet!)

Sue wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy