Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Boofont, that black (with red optional bypasses) was changed to a red (with optional black sections) several years ago. It struck me as a strange move at time, since the Ski Circus is not exactly well blessed with blacks. But I suppose that the regrading was intended to get more people using it, and it’s probably achieved that purpose.

The long double T-bar up the Bernkogel was replaced by a six-seater chairlift many years ago. (Don’t confuse me with algebra). There are now no T-bars that you might want to use to get anywhere, except for the Seekar lift on the Zwölferkogel, and that short one over in Fieberbrunn that gets you up to the top of the Doischberg gondola (which can normally be avoided).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tatmanstours, Thanks!

I always enjoyed that black we're talking about, quite steep in places and doesn't get much sun but as is often the case, as it's not skied much the snow was good!

Nice to read about the T-bars, there was another one that linked back on that side to get to the Goatstall, that's gone too!

I don't know if you stay out all winter but perhaps meet up early Feb if that's your thing, and anyone else for that matter? I will post nearer the time.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 11-12-23 14:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Boofont, yes, I’ll be here all season. Always happy to meet other Snowheads.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tatmanstours wrote:
@Boofont, yes, I’ll be here all season. Always happy to meet other Snowheads.

Fantastic!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any of you regular Ski Circus crew done "The Challenge"? Says 7 hours, that's a long ski. I did it some years ago before the link down piste 125 to Fieberunn was added. It was a good days skiing so wondering how much extra that leg is?

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/the-challenge_a_1721

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont, no, I’m too lazy. Don’t see any need to ski the whole area in a day.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't remember the specifics but I think that I stopped for a beer at the Ellmaualm at about 11am?? Having started from the Bernkogelbahn when it opened..... It's a decent sized area to cover at Fieberbrunn and there are a few banana skins to avoid on the route, so you need to pay attention of you're not familiar with the area!

I always forget about the black down into Saalbach which puts 30 mins on. The Legoland leg is quicker than you think, so bad that in mind when you are panicking about missing the link back!

Bergeralm happy hour is very conveniently placed to celebrate your successful mission with a few week earned drinks!

It's pretty straightforward for decent intermediates if the snow is ok. It's tricky in spring when the snow is soft and there are bumps in the afternoon.

Good luck!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did the challenge a couple of years ago. Started at Bernkogel, first lift up. During the day I missed a couple of turns so did a bit extra - skied to wrong lift in Fieberbrun area (should have gone to the T-bar more to my left, went down to the chair too much to my right) so had to redo that one, and a couple of hours later went down the black one towards Hinterglemm from Zwöllerkogel when I should’ve gone to my right for a short blue.

The detours together added maybe 30 minutes, and slower than normal skiing because of heavy fog at over 1500 meters added maybe another 15 minutes. By the time I had reached Schattberg Öst - where I originally had thought about having lunch - I was afraid I’d miss the last lift from Leongang. So didn’t stop to eat or drink anything during the day.

Finally reached Bauer’s Skialm in good time around 15:30 and had what then tasted like the best Wienerschitzel I’ve ever had with a couple of weissbiers to boot. I was done for and barely made it to the Bernkogel lift station to collect my prize. Got to choose between a Skicircus-branded tin cup and a headband, chose the latter.

So in good conditions, without any missed turns I’d say a semi-competent and confident skier can definitely do the challenge in under 6,5 hours, 7 if having lunch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A couple of guests of mine did it easily to get to the Bergeralm for happy hour (3.30-4.30pm), and the female half of the couple had only had one week of skiing experience. I assume that they were on the first lift.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Staying by the Bergfriedlift in Hinterglemm. Looks like best route would be up the westgipfelbahn then on to Schattberg Öst and head that way. I’d do anything for a headband. Lol
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
any boots on the ground at the minute? if so how bad was the rain?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mother hucker, bad enough to keep me happily indoors on my first day in Saalbach this season.
But they say that a bit of rain is good for compacting the base.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, went up the Bernkogel rain at the bottom, slush / snow at the Luis Alm.
More snow on the way Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Conditions today crunchy to start at the top great lower down, not crowded Very Happy , didn't win on the Nordbhan (Zwölfer-Nord) seat lottery, the new bridge looks good, hoping 40 will open soon to give it a try.

As Tatmantours has often stated this is a great time of year to ski Toofy Grin

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Keep the reports coming! Travelling out on Saturday.
snow conditions
@radar, and yet he took a look out of the window and didn’t bother going out Puzzled Fair weather skier!
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, that was us yesterday went up to the Luis Alm for lunch in civvies, though this morning wasn't that inviting when I first looked out the window but thought we had better get moving!
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
As others have said, great snow today, no crowds and good to excellent visibility with periods of watery sunshine.

A few days of snow forecast on Bergfex, then looks like cracking conditions for the week starting Saturday Toofy Grin
snow report

@NickyJ, had to pop in to Mpreis in town and had a look at the milk selection
Saturday they are open until 6pm
snow conditions
Yay thanks @radar,
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
Snow this morning was brilliant - left hand side of the Bernkogel (to the left of the cannons) had been pisted but unskiid with a little "fresh" on top:traumschne - all got a bit heavy/wet in the afternoon.

Hooning down with wet snow at resort level this evening - hotel manager says her friend living a few hundred meters higher reports that there's masses of great fresh snow up on the hill - temperatures forecast to drop in the next few days so conditions should be fab (visibility allowing)
latest report
@geoffers, that is sounding hugely better than I feared! 1 more day at work....
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@geoffers, that is sounding hugely better than I feared! 1 more day at work....

First tracks this morning Toofy Grin
latest report
@geoffers, wow awesome
latest report
pulled the curtains back and snow down to village level

We did the top of the Shattberg then down 2a fabulous conditions, not to busy, then did the bottom half of 161 often overlooked, the top was pretty good too, we did 159 another that is little used

We had to fight our way through the crowds

snow conditions
@radar, looking great. Not long now, couple more hours if work then off tomorrow ti get everything sorted and exceedingly early taxi in Saturday.
ski holidays
I was asked why I push the SalzbergVerker App, this to me is one of the key benefits the ski bus times, especially handy in the morning!

You use the monitor functioning find your nearest bus stop, the picture shows our stop, you can see when the next one is due and which direction

You can also buy your bus and train tickets through it Very Happy

ski holidays
radar wrote:
I was asked why I push the SalzbergVerker App, this to me is one of the key benefits the ski bus times, especially handy in the morning!

You use the monitor functioning find your nearest bus stop, the picture shows our stop, you can see when the next one is due and which direction

You can also buy your bus and train tickets through it.

Thanks @radar, - I've downloaded the app and intend to use it come Feb ref the trip my son and I are making from SZG we discussed. I'll probably be asking for more advice in a few weeks time! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All,

I've posted a question ref my skis on the link below which will explain this post. Hope it's OK to ask here, happy to speak via a message if that's better?

Question for you that are in resort please, guess that's you @tatmanstours and @radar? Thoughts on not buying skis in the UK and trying in resort with a view to buy please? Out in Feb and staying in Hinterglemm, tatmanstours, you often mention a guy in Saalbach with high regard? Obviously Hinterglemm is easier but if the right guy is in Saalbach I can jump on the ski bus.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5212757#5212757

Thanks.
latest report
Can anyone recommend an apartment please? needs two double bedrooms and two bathrooms. Location not mega important but within 15min walk of one of the centres.
latest report
@Boofont, my last skis were condemned in January when I put them in for a service, as they'd started to delaminate under the bindings. They were 12 years old, so owed me nothing. Intersport Breitfuss in Hinterglemm spotted the original problem before accepting them for servicing, then I hired for 4 days and bought those skis at the end of the week with the hire cost discounted from the price.

They were able to produce full records of their hire time and servicing, so I got skis with about 6 weeks use for twice the cost of a weeks hire. They've done me 3 weeks since then, and have at least another 2-3 years in them at my current rate of 18-20 days per year.
snow report
@Boofont, I always recommend people to speak to Hansi (Hansi’s Best-Price - next but one to Bobby’s Pub in Saalbach).
Hansi runs his own ski rental business, is very experienced, knowledgeable, and helpful, and he speaks fluent English.
Anyone who mentions my name will be given an extra discount, on top of his “best price”.
If you want to try with a view to buying, Hansi will at least be happy to advise if you visit his shop or give him a call.
(Hansis Best Price Skiverleih
0676 6480960)
latest report
@ousekjarr, @tatmanstours, Thanks very much.

I should have asked in my post - how do the prices stack up to buy skis over there against GBP please?
snow report
@Boofont, no idea, but much may depend on the time of the season. Towards the end deals can no doubt be found.
snow conditions
@Boofont, if you are after the Kendo’s then best to check with the shop, Tatmantours had a very nice pair of Elan from Hansi a couple of years a go, Volkl are relatively popular along with Atomic though this season Blizzard is being carried by a few shops too.

In addition to the ones mentioned previously I would add Rabbit in Hinterglemm and Hagleitner in Saalbach.
ski holidays
Weather update, snowed all day at all levels, low visibility and winds at the top, fine from mid station, last few meters of the Westgifel and Zwolferkogel a bit soft.

Lunch at Genus 12 fabulous

It’s still snowing
snow report
@hobbiteater, not many of those around , try Scharnagl's Rooms & Appartements or contact the tourist office
snow conditions
@Boofont, if it's any help, I paid €300 when I bought ex-hire after using them for a period which would have cost €140. I also got them serviced as I committed to buying them after a day.

Sport Conrad in Germany were selling them new at €650, and then moved their stock at the end of last season at €399.

My local independent in Cambridge had them new at £575, or ex-demo stock at £290, so broadly similar.

They were the 2021/22 model.
snow conditions
radar wrote:
Weather update, snowed all day at all levels, low visibility and winds at the top, fine from mid station, last few meters of the Westgifel and Zwolferkogel a bit soft.

Lunch at Genus 12 fabulous

It’s still snowing

Thankyou.

We are staying at Residence Saalbach which has a number of lifts in easy walk by looks of maps. Any recommendations for best to head up first thing sunder morning?
ski holidays
@NickyJ, The Kohlmaisbahn or the Bernkogelbahn, depending on which way you want to head - Leogang or Hinterglemm/Fieberbrunn
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy