Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What’s in these backpacks?

Poster: A snowHead
Living for 40 years with a Type 1 diabetic I ALWAYS carried snacks. We also had snacks (such as a Kit Kat bar) in the car. When our daughter, aged 8, travelled with her dad (long haul flights included) she had something like a Kit Kat too, and he was terribly touched that she never ate it herself, even though she was very fond of such things, like most kids.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lunch for two people

three small plastic tubs

2 tubs contain 2 chicken wraps, small pack of nuts, small pack of raisins
1 tub contains crisps

2 apples
2 500 ml bottles of water.

Mr E carries the bag, we just have a regular back pack. Some people seem to ski around on piste all day with all the ABS packs… i’m sure they’re just carrying their lunch too.

We dont really ‘do’ lunch in the mountain restaurant.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Origen,
Quote:

Crowded restaurants with long queues (and that's just for the toilets.....) can certainly be unpleasant if you're dressed for a breeze chairlift in minus ten.

Yes. I'm afraid I had homed in on the specific bodily problem area. Embarassed But then I don't wear merino knickers, maybe it's more prevalent a problem than I realised. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
phil_w wrote:

In Chamonix people carry old bits of miscellaneous climbing gear on their packs, to show how hard they want to be.

In fairness, quite a lot of folk are traversing glaciated terrain, quite often, so appropriate equipment (ropes, ice screws, harnesses) is appropriate.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gordyjh wrote:
I’m a little mystified why so many insist on carrying snacks, don’t they have breakfast?

I do. But I get crabby if I don't eat regularly. And as I said in my original contribution to this thread, the baguettes I carry for the children just serve as a post ski school snack before we ski to our lunch destination. I've got two boys and they eat a crazy amount.

I'm not a fan of a long lunch on the mountain. 20 to 30 minutes is plenty and then off to ski again. I'd rather have a leisurely dinner.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. aid kit - had to use it as well. And the usual stuff and thermos, womens stuff over night things.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@Origen,
Quote:

Crowded restaurants with long queues (and that's just for the toilets.....) can certainly be unpleasant if you're dressed for a breeze chairlift in minus ten.

Yes. I'm afraid I had homed in on the specific bodily problem area. Embarassed But then I don't wear merino knickers, maybe it's more prevalent a problem than I realised. wink

Merino knickers - absolutely fantastic!! Got several pairs and never reverting back to the cotton things - even in the summer they are amazing. Viva la Icebreaker!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
20 minutes for lunch. Wow. It’s entirely possible to ski 10-15k vertical in a day and have time for a decent lunch on the mountain. We have done more, often, but not at the sacrifice of sitting down to a lovely table service lunch.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zikomo wrote:
20 minutes for lunch. Wow. It’s entirely possible to ski 10-15k vertical in a day and have time for a decent lunch on the mountain. We have done more, often, but not at the sacrifice of sitting down to a lovely table service lunch.

Is the true reason folk unwilling (tight) or financially unable to buy a nice lunch?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Someone did hit on this earlier but if it’s half term, it’s trying to get a table.
I like my luxury but I’ve also had some great lunches with a filled baguette sitting safely at the side of the piste in the sun watching people.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow&skifan wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Is the true reason folk unwilling (tight) or financially unable to buy a nice lunch?

We're financially able, but I'd rather spend my day skiing. And no-one is disputing the ability to ski plenty as well as have time for a long lunch, we just spread those breaks out over the day. We ski with our children in the afternoon and Mr. O likes to take it slow on the slopes, so we'd rather have several coffee/beer breaks over the day. Probably works out a similar down time to a leisurely lunch.

And as Jonny996 pointed out above, school holidays mean that lunches aren't exactly relaxing in a restaurant.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Owlette wrote:
Snow&skifan wrote:
zikomo wrote:

We're financially able, but I'd rather spend my day skiing. And no-one is disputing the ability to ski plenty as well as have time for a long lunch, we just spread those breaks out over the day. We ski with our children in the afternoon and Mr. O likes to take it slow on the slopes, so we'd rather have several coffee/beer breaks over the day. Probably works out a similar down time to a leisurely lunch.

And as Jonny996 pointed out above, school holidays mean that lunches aren't exactly relaxing in a restaurant.

Ours are past school days now, but I didn’t mind a little bit of aggro in getting them a lovely hot lunch at a self service in Austria or France. The hour’s rest in the middle of a day’s skiing, good for them and me. It never cost anything like the €100 + mentioned in these threads.

Digressing, I do have the app Ski Tracks I’ve never been one for counting the km skied, I usually forget to turn it on. I’m more interested in the scenery, technique and the thrill of carving turns.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of the best lunches I ever had was bread, cheese, cured meat and a shared flask of wine. On the side of the piste. After and interesting and challenging morning. Still took an hour.

And I just don’t get the “busy half term” thing tbh. We like many others have to ski in that week. Just choose somewhere not so rammed and book tables. Once hangers on are added normally 8+ for lunch. I’ve never had an issue getting a table. But then I plan a bit if it’s likely to be busy.

Nothing wrong with simple and delicious. But the intimation that a 20 minute lunch means you ski more just does not stack up. In my experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny996 wrote:
I like my luxury but I’ve also had some great lunches with a filled baguette sitting safely at the side of the piste in the sun watching people.

You mean rather than sitting unsafely? Dude, you should try hitting up the snow park with your parma ham and emmental. I find the half pipes a great place, usually perched about half way down along the centre line sat on my rollup picnic mat expertly stored in my backpack, it usually makes for a really great picnic. You can even try throwing banana skins and orange peel at the snow boarders as they attempt their frontside double cork 1080. Highly recommended.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Especially in countries which set much store by proper lunches, the trick is often in the timing. Personally I favour having a mid-morning hot drink (and pee, and maybe the snack which I don't carry wink ) skiing, on less busy slopes, through the hour or two while others are lunching, and then having a late-ish sit-down lunch. Depends a bit on the time of year/potential length of the skiing day, but that often works. It also depends on dinner plans, a big lunch and a big dinner can be a bit much, at least for me.
snow report
Someone should start a new thread so that everybody can criticise what others do about lunch. Madeye-Smiley Like @Hurtle I don't normally eat two "proper" meals in a day, so if I'm having supper I'll not have a "proper" lunch. And if I have a good lunch, which I often enjoy, skiing or not, I'll not be stuffing a couple of courses in the evening. In the winter, at home, my lunch is usually a bowl of home made soup or some crackers and cheese and an apple. I only once had lunch on a chairlift, on a day when two keen young men (Belgians, as it happened) had asked me to take them round the Espace Diamant. I didn't enjoy a can of beer and something on a chairlift (I'd have enjoyed it a lot more sitting on a bench with a nice view) and I was knackered by 3 pm and skied slowly home and left them to it!

I never have the slightest idea of how far I've skied, either vertically or horizontally (that's something else we could have arguments about...) but that was a long day! We covered a lot of ground, with empty pistes and no lift queues.

In the many weeks we spent in the mountains we generally went home for lunch. And if the weather wasn't good, often didn't go out afterwards. I find a big lunch makes me feel rather lazy about skiing, which is fine when you have many weeks to enjoy it all.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
Living for 40 years with a Type 1 diabetic I ALWAYS carried snacks. We also had snacks (such as a Kit Kat bar) in the car. When our daughter, aged 8, travelled with her dad (long haul flights included) she had something like a Kit Kat too, and he was terribly touched that she never ate it herself, even though she was very fond of such things, like most kids.

Not usually found carrying a pack, crossed the Vanoise Express toward La Plagne with one for camera etc such are the "magnetic" properties of someone else's pack rolling eyes had various supplies added. Arrival at other side found someone with diabetes induced problems for which I was able to supply chocolate Very Happy

Two of my family are properly stroppy (not me) when hungry though, Tunnocks Caramel Wafer I've found to be a quite optimum biscuit in many characteristic. Light weight, structurally sound, easy to eat even in low temperatures Very Happy generally work well.

For more serious measures and when I think I definitely need to have something, carry a pack of cooking Dates. Resistant pack but easy open, break bits off, survive rough keeping, usually long dated if you keep them in a car for instance as emergency, low volatility without much that can go wrong with them. A little marvel of convenience Very Happy
latest report
@Origen,
Quote:

In the many weeks we spent in the mountains we generally went home for lunch.
The only time I've really been able to do that was staying in Rob's apartment in Les Arcs. It was lovely sitting in the sun and looking at Mont Blanc. No need for a day pack on that sort of day either!
snow report
Quote:

I definitely need to have something, carry a pack of cooking Dates. Resistant pack but easy open, break bits off, survive rough keeping,

An excellent snack IMHO; tons of sugar but also a nice taste. A hiking favourite of mine was dried prunes. You could suck the stone was the flesh had gone so they lasted ages.

Can I claim the prize for maximum thread drift please.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
I think a backpack is what is more commonly referenced to in the UK as a Rucsack?

Thank god for that, I had no idea what this thread was about til then. I was late to the (inevitable) argument, and had to read 6 pages mostly made up of self centred nonsense.

Can we agree: You do you. I’ll do me. The way it should be.
latest report
Pyramus wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

You mean rather than sitting unsafely? Dude, you should try hitting up the snow park with your parma ham and emmental. I find the half pipes a great place, usually perched about half way down along the centre line sat on my rollup picnic mat expertly stored in my backpack, it usually makes for a really great picnic. You can even try throwing banana skins and orange peel at the snow boarders as they attempt their frontside double cork 1080. Highly recommended.

I did say safely because I knew someone just like you would come along and tell me I was putting others in danger.
The point is, it’s my choice and I’ll do whatever I feel is the best thing for the day.
snow report
@dode,
Quote:

Can we agree: You do you. I’ll do me. The way it should be.

Good plan, but it's not the classic snowHeads way, let's face it.
snow conditions
Problem with "going home" for lunch is that of course, you take your ski boots off. Hang up jackets, put gloves in the dryer basket above one of the radiators, salopettes off as well. Have something nice to eat, wonder about a glass of wine or a beer. Put on some music. And in the end it seems SUCH a faff to put it all back on and get out again.

To be fair, @dode, most of the contributions to the thread have been humorous!
snow conditions
I object to non-rucksack wearing inconsiderate tall people in gondolas and cable cars who stuff everything in the various pockets of their jackets , causing them to swing their elbows around at face height with no consideration for others, when it would just be so much easier to take their chocolate or phone out of a small rucksack previously moved round to the front before they get in Wink
snow conditions
@sev112, Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Origen,
Quote:

In the many weeks we spent in the mountains we generally went home for lunch.
The only time I've really been able to do that was staying in Rob's apartment in Les Arcs. It was lovely sitting in the sun and looking at Mont Blanc. No need for a day pack on that sort of day either!

We're staying at Rob's place at Easter. I suspect we may go back for lunch then as we'll be meeting the kids at the end of ski school nearby anyway. Good to know it's easy to do.

To be fair, some of my favourite lunch breaks were when we had ski in/out accommodation in Austria. It was the most relaxed I'd been. The ski school the boys were at had both morning and afternoon lessons, but 90 minutes for lunch, so plenty of time to nip back and have lunch 'in'.

This may mean that I ski pack less in the morning at Easter (as I ski alone in the mornings), but it'll make an appearance after lunch (predominantly for the ruddy snowball maker).
ski holidays
@Owlette,
Quote:

We're staying at Rob's place at Easter

Lucky you! Smile
latest report
Snow&skifan wrote:
zikomo wrote:

For me it is about eating little and often. I struggle after a normal size meal on the mountain & always feel bloated afterwards. I dont get how people can eat a normal meal & still be able to function afterwards Laughing
We do carry a small snack bar or 2, stop for a beverage and maybe a plate of chips, or a slice of pizza, etc. Even a boiled egg on the first gondola if there is room (pre-peeled!)
As otherhalf Gluten intolerance has been getting worse, it is even more difficult to find something on the mountain. Tend to have a big meal in the evening & decent breakfast.
Back home, I dont eat breakfast, so 2 meals a day is perfectly normal.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a barbie in the car park out the back of the truck Very Happy

Bacon sausages eggs and has browns for breakfast and brew up a pot of coffee

Then usually venison or steak with a token salad leaf for lunch.
snow conditions
Water, lunch, spare goggles, etc etc. for me and the Mrs.
snow report
Origen wrote:

Not the said T1 diabetic, but nevertheless a T1 of my own for 50+ years. I carry both slow acting and fast acting glucose. In my pocket. Pre loaded syringe. In my pocket. Glasses, in a case. In my pocket. Wallet, phone ( which doubles as a glucose monitor) and lift pass. In my pocket. Lip balm. In my pocket.

It’s not hard.

Used to carry a backpack occasionally when Miniroll was small, with kids friendly stuff -gloves, layers yadayada, but now, as has been said earlier, if you take it you will fill it, and there really isn’t a need for piste skiing.

IMHO!
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, point is, YOU don't have a need. I do.
latest report
And here endeth the backpack vs no backpack debate - the choice is entirely personal - unless we resurrect it again! wink
ski holidays
TJToms wrote:
And here endeth the backpack vs no backpack debate - the choice is entirely personal - unless we resurrect it again! wink

Not just yet Laughing

This evening we and many others got bashed about by gormless grandads donning their rammed backpacks at the Innsbruck Airport luggage carousel carnage.

When turning around, their backpacks were taking out folk.
latest report
Just stick a semi inflated air mattress snowHead in it to look the part, especially if you are skining up the piste under the lift.
ski holidays
Why on earth does anyone need to carry a spare pair of googles? Just make do if conditions change, It really isn't that difficult.
Bit like wanting to take different skis for every conceivable different snow condition.
If you are going off piste or skiing with little kids, then a back pack is fine, in most other cases it is totally not needed.
ski holidays
Ah... and we're off!

I'm definitely in the backpack camp. It's pretty small but essential.
I do carry spare lenses, as if the conditions change I need my lowlight jobs. I suffer from vertigo in white-out/ low light and they are god-send. Don't want them in a coat pocket and to suffer a crush if I fall Shocked
It also has a water bottle, and acts a a dump space for the thin wool layer I may remove at some point. Don't want to stuff that in a pocket either!

How people manage without one I'll never know?
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:
TJToms wrote:

Not just yet Laughing

This evening we and many others got bashed about by gormless grandads donning their rammed backpacks at the Innsbruck Airport luggage carousel carnage.

When turning around, their backpacks were taking out folk.

Just stand further away from them out of their arc. Some folks don’t have anyone to give their rucksack to whilst trying to retrieve luggage so it’s not really feasible to do anything but carry it. Leaving bags unattended on the ground somewhere out of the way is a sure fire way of having it stolen or causing a security alert.
snow conditions
It is a bit odd. Ski fashion has changed and i think the backpacks are just a small part.

What's in them- hopes and dreams. (and why not?)

Fartbags and neon
Yellow and black patch North Face
Helmets for kids
1080 Twin Tips
British dads with backpacks full of sandwiches, Muddy Puddles snoods and hats
Jester hats and snowblades
74mm skis as fat
Schoffel and Peak
Helmets form British adults
Frame bindings
Back protectors for French kids
Helmets for the French
Pin bindings instead of frame
Hard shell tops and bottoms
Massive Black Crows skis for every young man who can't really ski
Helmets of piste
Helmets, Hard shells, Black Crows and backpacks for all. / Montec.

What's next- DK- back protectors for adults? Avi bags on piste?
ski holidays
@sev112, I just object to tall people… Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy