Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
the joy of humanity Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, Got you, the reference to Metcheck was buried down in the comments section. Blimey.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So sandwiched between one series of low pressure systems (bringing rain and snow across the Alps over the next few days) and the next (which could bring more from a week on Thursday) is a window of high pressure which will see temperatures fall on Monday and rising on Wenesday (not falling quite as extremely perhaps as a few runs back)...

It looks like this colder period could be quite dry and see broken cloud (perhaps not bluebird but enough to see the mountains maybe). So asDr John suggests this could well be a good time to head up high and explore the snow that has fallen on high.

Mind you the window could close completely between now and next week, but worth watching! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting 18z run this evening as in the near term it cuts back on the rain/snow likely to fall in the Alps over the next few days, it would still be a fair amount tomorrow and on Sunday, but less on Friday and Saturday when temperatures are at their warmest. Obviously could change back again very easily, but on the basis of this evening's output would certainly bring less rain to higher altitudes over the next three days (though still some, especially tomorrow).

At the opposite end of the run, the 18z like several today ended with cold starting to build across Europe from the east bringing much cooler temperatures from the middle of the month.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like there are three immediate bands of rain moving into the Western Alps one in about an hour or so, one late afternoon and a further one about 6am tomorrow. Obviously could shift and will be slightly different from valley to valley...

00z run again suggest that this (Thursday into Friday) may be the worst of it between now and Sunday when the next largish band moves through (there does look like some Friday into Saturday, but not as much as over the next 24 hours).

Again this could mean that there is less rain at higher altitude than it appeared a few days ago (also less snow...), but there will still be some.

The amount of precipitation from Monday for much of next week has also been edged down further, though at this range it could easily change. For the Eastern Alps, who look set to miss out on the rain/snow over the next few days, Sunday could bring some snow, but otherwise it is not looking particularly snowy (or rainy) over the next week. For now.

The pattern (out in FI) continues to show potential for colder temperatures to move in across much of Europe from the east around mid January...

Hope it is snowing not raining if you are in the mountains...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is starting to look like a very damaging spell of warm and wet weather that will last another week or so at least - especially for France and W Switzerland

PdeS webcams are grim this morning, umbrellas and all sorts on display
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely dumping it down... in Japan...

Over two foot of snow in Hakuba over night...

wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John wrote:
<gloat>

It's looking dreadful in Val d'Isere next week. shame I've got off-piste guiding booked for Wednesday....

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Val-d-Isere/6day/mid

</gloat>

[edited for obvious reasons]

replace those snowflakes with with raindrops and you'll get a better idea
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Off to Flaine for a long weekend next Thursday - is their any positive light people can put on the current situation or should I accept maybe spending a little more time in the bar than usual.

Wedcam's do not look good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wedcam's????? What are they???

My wedding photographer wife would perhaps be interested in these but not ideal for checking snow conditions!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reded78, There will still be enough snow to ski on and have a good time and you're on holiday

That's my take on it
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boris I think your are right. Though it would do no harm to scope out a good spot at the bar!

The temperatures over the next few days are warm and though there is some precipitation coming across the western Alps the warm temperatures mean it will be falling as rain in many places. The higher (highest) slopes will however still be getting quite a bit of snow from this. Sunday sees more snow come through in the evening and as it does temperatures fall a little which should help (though it will probably still be rain on the lowest slopes).

Monday and Tuesday look like being relatively cool though Wednesday and Thursday in particular look like being very mild. The whole week looks pretty unsettled, but at least for now it is looking a little less rainy/snowy than it was a couple of days ago. I would expect this to evolve though (a number of the 06z ensemble runs went for far wetter runs).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen, Do you have a link to any Hokkaido charts? I am heading out there for 2 weeks at beginning of Feb and want to wet the appetite! Thanks for the regular updates....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
was in Niseko last year so have all the important sites Smile

Japan met charts here http://www.jma.go.jp/en/g3/ (no fancy wigglies etc Sad ...check out the earthquake / volcano reports too Laughing )

"Niseko Now" weather http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/niseko-now.php (34-40 cm freshies!!! Most of the top lifts closed and the gondola in Niseko Village also on wind hold rolling eyes )

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 6-01-11 13:21; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
> Off to Flaine for a long weekend next Thursday - is their any positive light people can put on the current situation

yes... there is some highish altitude skiing in flaine, everywhere up to 2400-2500m will get some rain but it will not rain non-stop at 2400 so some of that will also be snow. I would have though pistes above 2000 m will be ok and of course snow canon snow will resist well.

Not a great start to 2011 though, lets be honest.
snow report
This is one time I'm glad that the Dolomites are in a bit of a rain shadow!!

Local forecast is calling for 2-4 cm of snow and no rain Very Happy tomorrow in Arabba (1645m) even though freeze level rises to 1800m. Maybe some drizzle and sleet in resort on Sunday. Sad

It's looking like a larger amount of precip on Monday as snow limit drops to 1000/1200m. snowHead snowHead

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp

I think we've been spared a complete disaster!!!
latest report
luigi, indeed the Madonna di Campiglio web-cam currently shows fresh snow on the streets at 1550m, it wasn't there yesterday. snowHead

I was in Avoriaz last year at the end of March and it rained solidly at all levels (top is only 2500m) for my first 36 hours and for some time before we arrived. Snow depths then were similar to MdC now and by mid-week (when it was dry but warm - not even freezing overnight) it was heavy but still plenty of snow. No less fun (well maybe a little less, but still the right side of awesome).

Anyway I've got until the 15th for it to get cold again which is currently predicted. I'm not worried, much.
snow report
geoffers, thanks for that link to the met charts, I am keeping a keen eye on the snow japan daily updates. Anyone know of the GFS wiggles for Hokkaido (any area in Hokkaido...)Cheers
ski holidays
"Flights booked to Milan on 10th Jan for 3.5 days skiing. Was planning on Alagna and hoping to stay in the refuge Guglielmina. Now thinking Gressoney may be a better bet with trees. Following this thread very closely and not rushing to book rooms - thanks guys keep the info coming !"
snow report Sun 02 Jan, 11

What a difference a few days makes - now looking like we will arrive just as the weather moves away and 3 days of settled weather follow. Or am I missing something ? - booking rooms tomorrow probably Gressoney.
snow report
BertieG, Given you were thinking of staying up in the mountains, have you thought about staying at Rif. Gabiet - can't remember exactly where but well up above Gressoney and with a reputation for v good food, and again from memory about 1/2 the price of Rif Gug...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
12zs are all a bit bleurgh for next week. Hope it's only a few days.
ski holidays
was looking stonkingly warm on wednesday. Going to look like mid-April in mid-Jan at this rate low down in the western Alps.
snow report
18z showing a serious cooling in 2 weeks time....yes I know its way to far out but it would time very nicely with my trip.

snow report
skinutter wrote:
was looking stonkingly warm on wednesday. Going to look like mid-April in mid-Jan at this rate low down in the western Alps.

Only in mid april we already have 3 months of snow accumulation.

8C at 1800 in the French Alps. About 10cm of snow depth lost at 2400m. About 10cm of fresh snow at 2600m since yesterday evening. A lot of wind too.
snow conditions
It looks like yesterday was probably the worst of the rain for the western Alps.

No significant rainfall (or snow) is visible over the next 48 hours, bar light showers in the early hours, indeed there should be some sunshine about. Sunday evening into Monday is the next likely precipitation of any real substance, by which point temperatures should be on their way down. Perhaps not as cold as they looked like a couple of days ago, but much closer to seasonal average than they are now. Here is what Tuesday overnight temperatures might look like:

Later on Wednesday though and temperatures are on the up again and it should be even warmer come Thursday...

At present, although it is looking rather unsettled, there does not seem to be significant rain or snow forecast during the week in the Alps.

There is increasing cross model support for a potential cool down from the east from next weekend. Well worth watching given how mild the coming week looks like being at times.
snow report
 brian
brian
Definite trends towards renewed northern blocking in 10 days or so. Even best case some yuck to get past first though. ECM +240 is a thing of beauty. Gotta love FI Happy
latest report
Possibly my pick of the 00z ensembles...

But it wasn't a great hand.

Zermatt and Aosta Valley.

06z GFS also goes for cold from the east from next weekend...
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Zermatt and Aosta Valley.

But which one gets the snow?

When I was in Zermatt last year the Cervinia side got a good few inches of snow when it came from the south, while the Zermatt side just got a dusting! Presumably it's vice-versa if the weather comes from another direction.

Those ensembles seem to cover too wide an area to be accurate in predicting snowfall, definitely need interpretation when applied to mountainous areas. We definitely need the commentary, keep it coming!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Only in mid april we already have 3 months of snow accumulation

Exactly. Conditions were pretty springlike this morning, but on a very thin base; pistes quite hard and fast first thing but getting slow and sticky by mid day, especially as our way back is both not very steep AND was headed straight into the wind. Just a handful of pistes closed in Les Saisies and Notre Dame de Bellecombe - which leaves plenty open. They have started harvesting snow to shove onto the pistes - been doing a good job, even a couple of fairly steep south facing red runs had excellent snow cover. But there's a stiff foehn wind and if that keeps going for a while it might not be long before the off-piste tracks start to stand up above the snow like railway lines. With no significant new snow in the offing it's going to be a thin week for anyone coming out tomorrow. Sad
ski holidays
Oh dear I hope it will snow before our holiday in les saisies in 2 weeks time.
snow report
luigi, absolutely whenever I look at that set of ensembles in particular I'm struck by the fact that the big mountain range it straddles complicates things even more than normal! Was going to have another look at it in more detail this evening.

The same snow on Sunday into Monday in other parts of the Alps isn't getting that much support from the operational, but is from a number of other ensembles so worth keeping an eye on, especially as temperatures are cooling a little at that point.

Off in far, far FI you can really see both the operational (green) and control (blue) pushing for colder weather. This is definitely worth watching... There are faint, probably untrustworthy suspicions of snow accompanying the colder temperatures too...

wink
ski holidays
I'm with you on that one Snowymum....t-minus 2weeks today until we hit the road Notre dame de Bellecombe.
latest report
nozawaonsen, thanks for the relatively good news for Zermatt. 29 sleeps to go Very Happy
snow conditions
Jeez - the Chamonix wigglies are showing high temps for next week! At least with no precipitation. Really pleased I bought some new shiny thermals...
snow report
18C in the valley earlier. Here's what the last 24 hours have done (the mountains opposite top out at 2500 meters)

Strong Foehn at the moment.
snow conditions
davidof, looks mostly like cosmetic damage to an unusually thin base to me?
ski holidays
The bowls still have quite a lot of snow in them and the pistes are reasonably snow covered.
latest report
So it looks like another warm week next week in France. What are the wiggles showing for the week after - 16th Jan onwards?
snow report
chrisb wrote:
So it looks like another warm week next week in France. What are the wiggles showing for the week after - 16th Jan onwards?

For where??
ski holidays
kitenski, PDS, Avoriaz
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy