Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Samerberg Sue, loving that news! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't like the look of the temperatures though, looks like rain upto quite a height.....in january !!! Sad especially in France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, take a look at the satellite picture of the Alps on Sat24 (http://www.sat24.com/alps) - a cold northerly air stream banging into the north side of the German/Austrian Alps - heavy snow forecast for later in the week at most resorts at the moment

(http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/scheffau-skiwelt) Even if you don't speak German, the pictograms tell a nice story Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
nozawaonsen, snowing fit to bust here right now and according to the web cams in my area (northern-east Tirol and Salzburgerland) it seems fairly widespread. Looks like we have had several centimetres overnight and it is still falling out of a fairly heavy looking sky. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Better go get the snow shovel and start keeping the car free! rolling eyes

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arteta10, yes, I've tried to flag that up. It could be pretty windy in places towards the end of the week as well...

This is part of the Faustian pact of letting the Atlantic in...

The Devil went down to Georgia

The Atlantic air carries lots of precipitation, but is generally quite mild too... So even in January it can raise temperatures at altitude... So whilst it looks like there could be plenty of snow at altitude there could be rain lower down...

06z GFS looks like continuing the pattern. Freezing levels slightly higher in the west than east, precipitation earlier the further west you are...

Here are ensembles for Chamonix.

Zermatt, Saas Fee (and not far from Monterosa)

And the Arlberg.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-01-11 16:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow what a horrible week. Certainly does not look good does it! Think i may go skiing in a few more weeks instead now!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen, this has me on the edge of my seat! Have just found this thread and am obsessed! Travelling out to Oz-en-Oisans on the 22nd Jan and have three people who have never been ski-ing before in the party so really excited for them and hoping the conditions will be good - so will be checking out this thread constantly over the next few weeks - thanks for doing this. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like lots of French Alps will have lots of rain and the grass will appear in places such as Morzine and Les Gets
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, thanks for the link. My German is just about good enough to deciper it. Looks like a fair bit of new snow today on the webcams and a mostly dry week until Saturday. Bring it on! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rather liking the look of this evening's charts from first glance... Cold comes a little further south... Jet stream comes a little further south... Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely looking much colder in FI - from next weekend- this evening! wink

Will have to see if that is picked up in subsequent runs...

The Atlantic keeps rolling on in from Thursday... Heavy snow above 1800m+ in the west, 1500m+ in the east, potentially heavy rain below. This detail will shape up over the coming week. The temperature could fluctuate somewhat, but the system coming in will carry milder air with the precipitation. Snowfall continues through the following week, potentially heavy at times, but with colder temperatures it would be snowing down to the valleys by then... (if the colder temperatures came through!).

On this run precipitation is heavier in the west, though it arrives earlier in the east than on previous runs as well... Again the detail will start to become clearer through the week... The amount of snow falling at what altitude in what area will probably shift back and forth a fair amount...

But a pattern change towards significantly more Atlantic weather from Wednesday or Thursday this week is looking likely now.

In the UK this evening's runs (GFS and UKMO) had the colder air from the Arctic pushing further south, increasing the likelihood of snow in the north and west, Western Scottish resorts could do rather well!
wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm, interesting stuff...even though we are not sue out to the French Alps until the 22nd, not sure i am liking much in terms of the potential washout sub 1500m in the coming few days. Fingers and toes crossed the shifts are positive in terms of a better drop in FL

Let it snow (conditionally and heavily above 1000m pleeeeeeeeease) Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Definitely looking much colder in FI"

I am following this thread with interest, heading sking weekend of either 8 or 9 jan, will book over the next few days, is there any likelihood of favourable conditions for Andorra or is it just the alps, and what does "FI" stand for
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fantasy island.... snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kendub, Andorra is on the edge of the forecast low pressure systems as they move in to the North. So the amount of precipitation they will receive will likely be lower than the Alps (at least on the basis of recent runs). Here are some ensembles from nearby (?)

So like many places it will be mild (indeed warm) going into that weekend. Cooler on the way out.

If I was going skiing that weekend I might be tempted more by somewhere high in the Alps as it looks like that will be more likely to be snowy...

FI really just means a period where confidence on detail is increasingly poor, hence fantasy...
snow conditions
The joys of mother nature....great info nozawaonsen
snow report
Quote:
If I was going skiing that weekend I might be tempted more by somewhere high in the Alps as it looks like that will be more likely to be snowy...

Only if you are stuck at the western end nozawaonsen, here in the eastern part we have quite cold temperatures forecast despite south to south easterly winds. The prediction is for it to swing round to a westerly air stream by the end of the week, getting warmer, relatively speaking and bringing in heavy snow at the weekend. BUT a lot can change between now and then rolling eyes
snow report
Flights booked to Milan on 10th Jan for 3.5 days skiing. Was planning on Alagna and hoping to stay in the refuge Guglielmina. Now thinking Gressoney may be a better bet with trees. Following this thread very closely and not rushing to book rooms - thanks guys keep the info coming !
snow report
BertieG, cracking place to stay (only ever been past it myself), but as you suggest could be a bit exposed if weather closed in... Still might be a pocket of quieter weather week on Tuesday, Wednesday... Obviously too far to judge at this stage... Trees could certainly be a good call after some good snow! Very Happy

GFS 18z operational takes things much cooler after weekend of 08 and 09 January... Cutting temperatures 10C by the end of Monday 10 January... But operational run looks once more like it is an outlier (again is it rogue or setting the trend?).

Ensembles look like dialling back slightly on level of precipitation... (?)

We'll see how it looks in the morning... wink
ski holidays
00z Dominant high pressure should leave much of the Alps bathed in sunshine today and tomorrow before the low pressure arrives from the west... It looks like it will really make itself felt in the French Alps on Thursday with temperatures rising throughout the day. Freezing level could be 1500m first thing and 2200m+ by night. Heavy precipitation looks like it will build throughout the day snow to rain in many areas... (heavy snow at altitude). In Austria temperatures will rise though will still be 2 to 3C lower and heavier precipitation looks like being loaded towards the end of the weekend...

As before temperatures across the Alps look set to fall quite hard, by 10C or more during Monday, before rising (slightly faster in this run than the two previous ones) to seasonal averages with more precipitation flowing in for the rest of the week from Wednesday...

Some suggestions in far FI of a more blocked pattern which (if it came off) might see the Atlantic influence being diminished in the second half of the month and colder weather returning. Maybe..
wink
snow report
Just praying the Temps drop further than expected, got everything crossed for this next week rolling eyes
latest report
nozawaonsenhow much will it effect Switzerland in temps and FL ?
snow conditions
Chris Brookes slightly depends where you mean in Switzerland?

06z operational looks like it goes off on a mad dash into the cold after next weekend and into FI. Not completely sure it's credible to be honest. Also reigns in the likely precipitation...
snow conditions
One interesting aspect of 06z is that it looks like it produces a snowier outlook for Andorra which might be of interest to kendub... Must admit I wasn't completely clear whether you were thinking of skiing for the weekend (which is how I initially read it) or a week from that weekend... If the latter then it might be interesting, but 06z's operational run is a bit of a loner so you might want to see how it develops!

[to be honest though I've not been watching the weather for Andorra, have never been and don't have any feel for what is likely to happen there other than looking at the most recent run... ]
snow report
Hi Nozawaonsen, will be going for 1 week leaving this weekend, will be booking over the next day or two for either the Alps or Andorra, that is interesting re the possible weather in Andorra
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, I've been reading your analysis with interest, thank you for putting so much effort in and keeping us informed.

I was wondering what the outlook is for the Dolomites, I'm heading out to Arabba on the 16th, will the Atlantic lows produce any significant fresh snow (no rain please!) for that region?

I've been looking at the wigglies for that area and it looks like a milder spell for 7-10th Jan with some spikes of precipitation, then cooling down and drier next week. In my past experience, the Dolomites tend to do better snow-wise out of lows coming off the Adriatic or Gulf of Genoa rather than Westerly/NWesterly Atlantic troughs.
snow report
luigi, these ensembles are close to the Dolomites I think?

Like most of the Alps it looks like it will warm up over the weekend, then cool early next week. Looks like snow line would be about 1500m+ for some light precipitation before switching to a heavier fall of rain at 1500m turning quickly to snow. 06z then has it looking rather dry, bit how next week beyond the weekend plays out is rather unclear at present (and may be more Atlantic influenced than 06z was suggesting).

Think you are absolutely right about the preference for a good "Genoa low" producing the snow for Italy and Austria. Just need to find one now... wink
latest report
Yup 12z is dumping 06z and buying the Atlantic.

Very quick glance, brings more heavy precipitation in next week. Rain low, snow high.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Chris Brookes slightly depends where you mean in Switzerland?

06z operational looks like it goes off on a mad dash into the cold after next weekend and into FI. Not completely sure it's credible to be honest. Also reigns in the likely precipitation...

Jungfrau Region
snow report
luigi, - off out to Arabba myself on the 19th:
Another good graphic representation is the 7 day meteogram here http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_120465_g05.png - (46.5N,12E is approx at the Passo Falzarago )
Rows:
1) x-section through sky (low/mid/high cloud cover)
2)Pressure
3)Wind speed & direction
4)Temp (min, max)
5)2m Relative Humidity
6)Precipitation

ski holidays
Hello Geoff

How would I find the link for Oz-en-Oisans or Alpe d'huez for the above charts? Thanks.

Rob
latest report
This evening's 12z GFS operational pushes back hard against the earlier 06z run which had FI much colder and drier. The 12z run is far more in line with the pattern that has been consistently building up over the last few days of a strongly Atlantic influenced second week of January running into mid January. How next week shapes up is inevitably still subject to change, but this evening's 12z certainly fits the trend.

There should be another day or two of fine weather across the Alps before the low pressure arrives. As it comes through on Thursday 06 January temperatures rise quite quickly, up 10C by Friday morning. Freezing levels could be 2100m+ in the French Alps (snow line probably about 300m lower, perhaps more with heavy precipitation) over much of the weekend (around the same in Jungfrau) a little lower in Austria around 1800m+ at times. So paying attention to temperatures is going to be important and they will vary from place to place and change as we get closer. But I would expect precipitation to be rain at lower levels and snow higher up.

It does look like there could be heavy snow at altitude (rain lower down) on Thursday and Friday in the west and on into the weekend, though it will not reach Austria till later on Sunday and Monday by which time temperatures have started to drop both east and west. And drop hard. Possibly falling up to 15C by Tuesday morning. By Wednesday though they've risen. Back 15C again! And more precipitation is moving in, heavier out east this time, building towards the weekend and by Sunday the precipitation is meeting colder air coming down.

So as it stands the Atlantic weather is going to bring a lot of snow at altitude to the Alps, though a fair amount of rain lower down.

There is a continuing signal in far FI for a return to northern blocking high pressure and temperatures cooling down quite steeply from the middle of January.

But that is of course a long way off... wink

darbyrw Alpe D'Huez.

snow conditions
Hmm. We are all watching this like hawks, aren't we? Have already planned inviting some friends to lunch on Thursday, followed by trip down to Albertville to get some shopping in and have a poke around Decathlon. I don't ski in the rain.
latest report
Hi Nozawaonsen, thanks for taking the time to post the forecasts, how's Andorra looking for poss snow

Thanks
snow report
darbyrw,
Quote:
Hello Geoff

How would I find the link for Oz-en-Oisans or Alpe d'huez for the above charts? Thanks.

I tend to google for the latitude/longitude of the resort I'm after (you'll normally find some site with the lat/long details) then if you type the numbers into Google Maps you can make sure it's roughly the right place you're after. (enter the numbers as 46.5,12 for 46deg30" north, 12deg East)

Then with a bit of trial & error, change the numbers in the url of the meteogram (eg www .wzkarten.de/pics/MS_120465_g05.png - without the space after the www wink ) to find the nearest one that has the picture you want
ski holidays
nozawaonsen, thankyou
snow report
I'm off to Morzine this Saturday 8th. The forecast looks abysmally bad with the already stony and icy pistes being washed clean of snow by torrential rain before I arrive. Is there any hope of a turnaround? Someone please cheer me up....
ski holidays
Milk Corbum, a few thoughts...

First the weather that is being forecast hasn't happened yet, so until it does it can all change. Temperatures could certainly drop a little (though they could also rise).

Secondly remember that the weather can change from one valley to another. The above at this range is all rather broad brush.

Thirdly the snow level is about 300m below the freezing level. Moreover in heavy precipitation the snow level can be found up to 600m below the freezing level.

Finally it will be snowing heavily at altitude, you just need to climb.

And if all else fails... Beer?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Milk Corbum, Monday the 10th currently looks like rain turning to snow right down to valley level by the end of the day. The grassy pastures around Morzine don't need much snow to be great. So that could set you up for a good middle and end of week, fingers crossed.
snow report
nozawaonsen, thanks for your insights, with Arabba at 1600m, it's gonna be a close call for seeing rain in resort, just hope it cools down enough as it reaches more eastern parts.

geoffers, thanks for that meteogramm chart, looks good for snow on the 10th as the temp falls away, the chart relates to 1778m, not much higher than resort, fingers crossed for some fresh right down in the village then, maybe 25cm worth!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy