Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at Madonna di Campiglio for 16th Jan for a week. I'm only a beginner/intermediate and this would be a first ski trip.

I noticed the weather looks to warm up with no snow fall scheduled either.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/14-days/madonna-di-campiglio_italy_3174326

Will this still be ok for someone of my ability?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-01-22 11:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My first ever trip was to Folgarida, linked with MdC and Marileva in 1985. Plenty variety in difficulty of the the runs and by the end of the first week we had navigated our way to both ends of the piste map with our chain smoking, expresso swilling instructor. The only danger is that you end up hooked and spending an unfeasible amount of money for the rest of your life!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to give some context, my only time skiing outside on real snow was in Cyprus for a day two years ago. They had around 4km of piste but I absolutely loved it! I suppose my threshold for satisfaction when it comes to skiing is probably quite low.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@viciousvulture, will you be having lessons? With the experience you've described, lessons would probably help you get more out of the week. The instructor should work on both technique and advise on where you should and shouldn't try skiing at your level.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would possibly think of getting a lesson, although I did one at Milton Keynes and found it horrendous. The instructor had no enthusiasm whatsoever! Being sporty, I feel like I could improve quite a bit myself
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely get some lessons. It is hard to figure out the basics by yourself, and longer Alpine runs will be a very different environment vs what you experience in domes and in Cyprus.
Once you get the basics and want to improve, then yes, that you can probably do yourself if you feel confident. And even then, a lesson every now and then helps...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm sure you'll be fine!

Madonna has a nice range of blue runs on both sides of the valley and a dedicated beginners area (which you probably wont need but is there just in case). There are a couple of very long blues which are good for confidence building. I emphasise as someone who started skiing later in life I found resort choice for our first few trips very difficult. However we found MdC had a nice range of runs for all abilities, plus it's a nice town and has stunning scenery. As mentioned above because it's joined to two other areas you can get a good day out exploringng these as long as you can manage a couple of reds. It shouldn't be too busy that week which will help keep the pistes in better condition.

We use the sci nazionale des alpes ski school and they've been good for private lessons but we have no experience of their group lessons. FWIW I think they are the same school as Crystal ski use so they are used to Brits.
https://www.scuolascicampiglio.com/en

Personally I can't imagine not having lessons as skiing is quite technical e.g. small changes to your stance seem to make a massive difference to how your edges grip and once you get into bad habits it's difficult to change. I'm intermediate and have 3x2 hr lessons booked for our trip to the same resort in a few weeks (cost Eur50 more than 6 x group morning lessons). My wife is a very good piste skier (50+ been skiing since teens) and still has lessons every trip to keep herself out of bad habits and tweak her technique.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Everyone needs lessons if they are serious about improving. Quite apart from the speed at which you can progress, you also get much more skiing done - no fiddling around with pistemaps to find out where to go (and knowing where the best place to go is) and the joy of jumping the lift queues when it is busy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy