Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@Steve Angus, another brilliant update with fab pics...thanks!

Great news on imminent 2nd Pfizer jabs for you two...fingers crossed for your July road trip.

Bummer on the dud alternator but positive that you found an honest repair garage and saved quite a few quid. Could be useful info for snowHeads, eg those who drive to PSB each December. Whereabouts is the honest garage in Tignes please?

Won't mention the crick..stop it!

Yes, a lovely proud Dad moment * with Ben...and those much criticised apartment blocks on the left at La Daille don't look bad from a distance IMHO.

* Cue

http://youtube.com/v/MEDh7SKGHtU
snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
I can HIGHLY recommend the Tignes garage!

+1 for the Tignes garage. The last two seasons I've been out in Tignes the Citroen has needed its regular service and both times they carried this out quickly, with no fuss and for a fair charge. To ensure they ordered in the right parts they asked me to bring along the registration certificate. The second time I also asked them to investigate a noise coming from near the alternator. Tensioning pulley duly replaced with a modestly-priced reconditioned unit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, I'm moving my Val d Isere hotel questions over here at the suggestion of @PeakyB.

I've been to Val once, stayed in town at the La Lauzes, which was affordable and well-located but far from posh. Skiing back to town from the Manchet chair, I saw some lodgings shy of, and uphill of, the Solaise lift base area. This area struck me as nearly ski-in/out and maybe quieter than town, yet close enough to town for a walk to dinner. If anybody has suggestions about hotels in this area, or corrections to my memory, please fire away. I'm also not opposed to staying in town if you know of a swell place. I'll be solo; prefer a B&B situation but half board could work; budget is <€200/night. Timing is probably the last week or two in March. I guess another question would be: is there a better way to get there from Paris than the TGV to BSM and taxi the rest of the way? Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scooter in Seattle, hi again. TGV a pretty good option I think. Alternately flight Paris-Chambery, then train from Chambery to BSM.

Depending what time you’d be heading from BSM to Val D, there may be a public bus, which departs from just outside rail station. Certainly less expensive than taxi. Whether better overall depends on your preferences.

To throw a slight curved ball in. I think a good option is to stay in the satellite village of La Daille. 10 minutes frequent free bus ride to centre of Val D. Better location to access both Val D and Tignes sectors. Better end of day home run. Quieter but has essential shops and a couple of bars / cafes.

I’ve heard good reports about Hotel Toviere in La Daille.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scooter in Seattle, I think the area you are describing is the Rond Point/Le Joseray/La Legattaz. It is mainly apartments and chalets in that area. The other issue is that the main run to Joseray/Legattaz is Santons which is very susceptible to afternoon closers due to avalanche risk especially in spring so a bus or walk may be needed at the end of the day.
As PeakyB has mentioned have a look at La Daille. The Hotel Toviere is very good, I’m not sure if it’s back under a tour operator this coming season or if the owner is running it again but will report back at the beginning of August (Steve Angus might know more but I think he is away on a family holiday at the moment) Also look at the Samovar in La Daille.
If you do get the TGV into BSM you have another option to get up to Val’d Isere apart from a taxi and Altibus. Snowdrone transfers do about 6 shuttles a day from Geneva airport to Val d’Isere and will stop at BSM to pick up drop off.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeakyB, @muppet, thanks, will consider La Daille. I like quiet, although the ability to walk to that bakery in town makes a close-in location tempting.

I avoided Santons, one can see it is a laboratory for carnage late (and not great first thing either, kind of a gully). I tended to end my day on Arcelle and have a nice sane road back. Would the avi risk you mention also close that road, or just runs on the Santons side?

I think I'll get a guide this time, the off-piste looked pretty choice.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed at the Samovar on a few occasions and like La Daille if memory serves me right there is a bakery or was in the La Daille shopping centre
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Carmeline bakery?
https://www.valdisere.com/en/fiche/carmeline-2/

The Samovar hotel looks smart. Has swimming pool, some spa facilities, I think? Never stayed in it (yet).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like the bakery box is checked.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.maisonchevallot.com/en/maison-chevallot-2/

Simply the best.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Fogliettaz, thanks, that's the one in Val that I remember.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scooter in Seattle, Just going to throw this idea out there. As you are really only after B&B, have you thought about just getting a self-catered apartment? A small one would probably come in at what you would be willing to pay and give you your own space with flexibility if you did want to stay in. There are options for in town for cook/chill food. Breakfast would be easy enough to sort.

As an example, this is a place at Rond Point (through the tunnel where the buses turn round).

https://www.mountainrooms.com/properties/val-disere/rond-point-12#price-and-availability

Small studios in La Daille would be a bit cheaper.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sno trax, thanks, worth my consideration. However, I'm nearly always looking for a vacation from my own marginal cooking, so I can't pass up a chance (even if it means accidentally experiencing blood sausage as was the case last time!).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scooter in Seattle, try andouillette. Or, rather don't
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I cant find a projectile xxxxxt emoji to give my view on andouilletes
latest report
@johnE, yeah my Wikipedia education just now says "don't". I appreciate your counsel; over here "andouille" is a more typical pork sausage with Cajun flavorings. Hot spicy and terrific. With my basement-level French I'd have probably made the mistake.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, if you’re set on something in Val D’Isere, with food, close to piste and walking distance of town, have you considered a catered chalet?

There are several, up in Le Legattaz neighbourhood, for example, which might suit. I got a single room in a piste side one a few years ago. Good value and sociable, in my experience.

Tricky situation currently with whole catered chalet market. Many tour operators, or smaller chalet providers, not committing to next season fully yet, which is understandable.

If things settle down, might be worth a look at what they offer?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, thanks....it is interesting, I learned the term "catered chalet" on this site; it is not really a thing over here for some reason. Possibly not in my sweet spot; I like to get out and sample the cuisine and varied ambiance of the area's restaurants. And being solo, there is no problem gaining consensus on timing or venue! I usually dine when they open and am gone in an hour.....I assume they think I'm weird but I bet they're glad to get their table back so quickly.

All that said, the most memorable food I had in Val was from the kabob joint on the main drag! Not fancy, just luscious.

I see some lifts have been replaced since my last visit, but there's also a new-to-me surface lift above Leissieres...I wondered why that wasn't lift-served last time. Guessing that any pow might hang around a bit longer up there with a low-volume, high effort lift.

This is helpful and fun.
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, I think you are referring to TK3000. It existed many years ago but was taken out of service. It was replaced a few years back reinstating access to the tunnel.

To be honest, in the last few years since it was replaced, it hasn't been open much and access through the tunnel has been limited due to snow cover

On the subject of self-catering, don't think you have to do cooking. There is nothing stopping you eating out every night. I have done this before and as you say it gives the flexibility to do what you want. It has worked well for me in the past. As I said, it's another option Very Happy

If you want any more Val info, just post it up. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here and so someone will know and come back to you with an answer.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle,
Quote:

I assume they think I'm weird but I bet they're glad to get their table back so quickly.

You’d be the most popular snowHead on the December PSB in Tignes, if you vacated your dining chair that quickly wink

As for catered chalet beds. I’ve booked solo late deals with heavy discounts. If the dinner’s not up to standard (very rare IME) I’ve just eaten out most evenings. Still worked out way cheaper than trying to book a solo room in a similarly located (ski in/out) and standard of hotel somewhere like Val D.

But that was pre-Brexit and pre-Covid. The market feels totally different currently. Unlikely it will ever be such a significant source of accommodation again. Nevertheless, another possibility maybe?

As for the new drag lifts. A good way to build a reputation for weirdness would be to use that and continue on through the tunnel towards La Fornet. snowHead
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, I was in Val on my own for 2 weeks, rented a small apartment in the large La Daille buildings with a nice view over the race pistes which was great for me, small supermarket and decent burger place closeby, but also bus into the main village/walk back worked fine.

I tended to just have microwaved porridge in the morning, and sometimes the apartment was handy to nip back for lunch, using baguette and fillings from the local supermarket.

I used this company for various quotes etc https://www.simplyvaldisere.com/
ski holidays
@kitenski, simply valdisere is a friends so if course I also recommend. Kim is lovely and really cares.
snow report
More good stuff, thank you. La Daille was not in my crosshairs as it seemed to, how shall I say, embody what people complain about regarding French ski areas not looking the part. Upon further review that appears to be somewhat true, but also it looks like a smart base of operations. Much more important than architecture is great lift capacity serving where I like to be, and there is a bakery!

@kitenski, I like your suggestion of the bus up to town/walk back. I love to take a walk after dinner and pack it into my legs. Hopefully along a river?
latest report
@Scooter in Seattle, there is a footpath to La Daille that seems to roughly follow the stream, there was a high avi risk when I was there so I stuck to the main road, which was deserted the few times I did it!
ski holidays
@kitenski, Surprised you didn't mention apres at Rosee Blanche in La Daille Very Happy . When I did a week as a chalet boy for a mate it seemed obligatory!
snow report
@chocksaway, I was on a BASI L2 course that I was struggling on, nights out weren't top of the list! NehNeh
snow report
@kitenski,
I think Chocks meant apres in its true meaning - get off the piste & into the bar. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy