Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is This Season Going To Happen for The British ???

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're currently booked to go to France at Easter and am increasingly resigned to it not happening. I think the UK will be in a slightly better place potentially, but I fear that France is about a month or so behind us currently in terms of both vaccine rollout but also the new covid variant. I read an article the other day which said that France fears that the new variant may become dominant by 'late Feb to mid March'.

So currently I'm looking at what other options maybe available for Easter (Norway?) just in case we do get the slight miracle that the UK eases restrictions but France and the main alpine countries are still off-limits.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Handy Turnip, yes, I do wonder whether this new variant will naturally infect the other EU countries gradually over the next few weeks then take off - leading to further lockdowns. I too have flights in EAster, having pushed other flights back to 2022. Don't hold out much hope but hey ho - a lot more people have it a lot worse than i do with their jobs, deaths/sickness of friends/relatives etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I believe it is inevitable that the wave that the UK is seeing now will be seen, to some extent, in the rest of the EU as the variant gets a foothold. The EU will then shut up shop until the summer. NExt season I reckon!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zzz wrote:
@holidayloverxx,

Landing ban from the UK last summer. I don't remember that. We had plenty of UK visitors in France in the summer. The thing that stopped it was the UK imposing a self isolation requirement on return from France.


sorry - I should have been explicit - landing ban from the UK in Austria
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What if these new Variations of the Covid Virus somehow found their way into China and spread like wildfire through the whole Population. No doubt the Chinese Government would have a right good moan about it all being some kind of Western act of Aggression and threatening Reprisals... rolling eyes

Irony in deed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More likely they would introduce strict regional lockdowns, mass testing and contact tracing, people would follow the rules and it would get sorted within a few weeks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cc_7up wrote:
What if these new Variations of the Covid Virus somehow found their way into China and spread like wildfire through the whole Population. No doubt the Chinese Government would have a right good moan about it all...
Well leaving aside the fact that any version of Covid-19 spreading "like wildfire thought the whole (Chinese) population" would be a huge human tragedy, would it stop me skiing at Easter on the unlikely assumption that everything else lines up?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like blanket 10 day mandatory quarantine in hotels on entering the UK, paid for by the traveller.

As the logic is supposedly to guard against new variants emerging overseas the being carried into the UK then it’s no exaggeration to say that this measure could be in place for several months or even years.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Android2000, that's how I see it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Android2000 wrote:
Looks like blanket 10 day mandatory quarantine in hotels on entering the UK, paid for by the traveller.

As the logic is supposedly to guard against new variants emerging overseas the being carried into the UK then it’s no exaggeration to say that this measure could be in place for several months or even years.
And would (obviously) be an absolute stopper to our already highly unlikely Easter ski trip. The worst part (for me) of any ski trip is the drive home from the tunnel. I can't imagine that 10 days in the Ashford Travelodge would improve things.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah that 10 day quarantine would be a showstopper for sure, and I cannot see if being relaxed before the summer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given the UK is hosting the G7 at the start of June, I can't see Boris asking Joe Biden etc to quarantine in the Bristol Welcome Inn for ten days beforehand. Perhaps it will be lifted by then?
That said, this move looks like taking the precautionary principle to the max and following its 'logic' and the impossibility of proving the negative that a variant WON'T ever evade vaccines, it would need a political-not scientific-U turn to remove it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect the world's leaders may be given some kind of exemption for the G7 to be honest. Their entourages too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowhound wrote:
Given the UK is hosting the G7 at the start of June, I can't see Boris asking Joe Biden etc to quarantine in the Bristol Welcome Inn.


Surely it will be President Harris by June?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very dispiriting to read the latest ramblings of our windblown excuse for a government. This mornings verbal wind is coming from a direction that suggests that none of us will leave this country again unless we have the means and flexibility for an extra 10 days in an airport hotel.

Maybe I should take encouragement from the fact that the day is yet before noon and there are plenty of directions for it to blow as yet.

As ever since the start of this monumental 'charlie foxtrot' the line up of differing 'official' opinions on every aspect, sometimes almost hourly, never mind daily, continues.

Probably the very definition of disastrous news management and confused expectation.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Pastorius, The optics of that would be awful. One rule for them, another for the unwashed masses....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robboj wrote:
Very dispiriting to read the latest ramblings of our windblown excuse for a government. This mornings verbal wind is coming from a direction that suggests that none of us will leave this country again unless we have the means and flexibility for an extra 10 days in an airport hotel.


As a long term strategy I can't see it working. I also don't see the point in it being introduced now. 12 months ago it was a viable strategy to protect the country, similar to what NZ and Aust did, but even allowing for the fact that new variants will emerge that may be vaccine resistant, that is simply the nature of the virus. This approach is talking about financially restricting a significant proportion of the population from going abroad, not to prevent the current virus from spreading, but to prevent a future variant (as yet unidentified) from making the vaccine obsolete......

With a stroke of the law making you will have killed the UK travel industry and with it most of the ancillary industries that surround it (airports/catering/travel products/transport). At some point there will have to be a balancing about the extent to which people are willing to accept significant curtailing of freedoms (not rights) to fight the virus or possible as yet unidentified threat of a new or variation of the C-19 virus. At some point there will be an acceptance that some level of infection will become indemic and a small proportion of the population will be at risk. At the moment though this latest line of reasoning is the prevention of ghosts!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowhound wrote:
Given the UK is hosting the G7 at the start of June, I can't see Boris asking Joe Biden etc to quarantine in the Bristol Welcome Inn for ten days beforehand. Perhaps it will be lifted by then?


Maybe they'll do it via Zoom call Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowhound, I can see that but it would be easy enough to spin some hot air about testing each and every member of the G7 entourage, hugely important for world progress, vigrouous and utterly thorough testing regime for the whole thing, bubble the entourages and regular testing.

Enough spin and they'll do it. Only got to bat off a few questions from journos after all
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Suggestions that the hotel quarantine will only apply to certain countries/zones. Let's hope so because travel will be off completely if this comes in across the board
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Suggestions that the hotel quarantine will only apply to certain countries/zones

That has to be the case - completely impossible logistically otherwise. Best not plan a holiday in Lesotho for a while....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iainm wrote:
Suggestions that the hotel quarantine will only apply to certain countries/zones. Let's hope so because travel will be off completely if this comes in across the board


Totally....though I can't help but think that its a symbolic play rather than an effective strategy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But won't they effectively be cooped up in a hotel for the duration of the meeting and then just fly home?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remember that the new Track 'n Trace organisation, with a new leader, will be in place come March-April. That's the new one that integrates local, existing tracing services that were already in place, with extra resources centrally. As was suggested back in, oh, when was it? Ah yes, 2017 - as the best solution for handling large-scale epidemics. Otherwise known as the 'A Way Of Jettisoning Dido And Doing A U-Turn Without Having To Acknowledge You Got It As Badly Wrong As Was Possible And Perhaps Even Worse Than Not Doing Anything At All' strategy.

With a Track 'n Trace that actually worked, we might be in a position to be less stringent about isolating people on arrival, or allow a shorter period than 10 days if they agree to test and download a special app. I think most people would be OK with taking a couple of hours to have some tests, then download a more rigorous monitoring version of the app, then go home to isolate if the alternative was 10 days in a Premier Inn at the airport. If they don't like the idea, then fine, they can sit in a hotel room for 10 days.


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 26-01-21 11:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pastorius wrote:
@snowhound, I can see that but it would be easy enough to spin some hot air about testing each and every member of the G7 entourage, hugely important for world progress, vigrouous and utterly thorough testing regime for the whole thing, bubble the entourages and regular testing.

Enough spin and they'll do it. Only got to bat off a few questions from journos after all


Perhaps they should ask how Formula One travelled the World, they seemed to manage effectively except for a couple of drivers who thought they were above the protocols.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway wrote:
Perhaps they should ask how Formula One travelled the World, they seemed to manage effectively except for a couple of drivers who thought they were above the protocols.


A couple?

Sergio Perez (apparently caught from a private chef)
Lance Stroll
Lewis Hamilton
Lando Norris (post season)
Charles LeClerc (post season)

That's a quarter of the field, plus two of the ten team principles. (RaceFans has a more detailed list)

OK, most of the infections don't seem to have been caught at the circuit during a race weekend, but there does seem to be something about being an F1 driver that makes you more susceptible to COVID. The same could already be said about world leaders.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another of the 'Central Committee' this time the Jenrick oaf, on the radio this morning saying he cannot categorically rule out the need for another lockdown next winter.

I honestly wonder when we'll see the alps again?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj wrote:
Another of the 'Central Committee' this time the Jenrick oaf, on the radio this morning saying he cannot categorically rule out the need for another lockdown next winter.

I honestly wonder when we'll see the alps again?


Do you think he should rule out a lockdown next winter??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All he should be saying is that we can't possibly answer that question just now.

There should be no need to ask it either as there should be a plan that we can all refer to tell us what to expect.

I'm fed up with the worst expectation management exercise in history being twisted constantly by the opinion of whatever muppet is sent out to face the media that day.

Right now I don't trust them not to do this every winter to protect their fökin NHS anyway
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robboj wrote:
All he should be saying is that we can't possibly answer that question just now.

There should be no need to ask it either as there should be a plan that we can all refer to tell us what to expect.

I'm fed up with the worst expectation management exercise in history being twisted constantly by the opinion of whatever muppet is sent out to face the media that day.

Right now I don't trust them not to do this every winter to protect their fökin NHS anyway

Why dont the media stop asking such stupid effing questions. No one knows what will happen next month let alone next winter.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No one in the public perhaps, no. But the Cabinet has to actually run the country. Which means looking ahead, judging probable scenarios, evaluating the key factors, making plans and revising them in the light of new information. It has the entire apparatus of state and huge scientific support community at its disposal. It has the international connections to get information from other countries and to coordinate its actions with theirs.

So it is resonable to ask them about the future.

And to get the answer "We don't really know." is not acceptable. It means that at best, they are incompetent, or worse might be competent, but can't be bothered.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My experience of working in government is - we know the answer and we also know it will not be popular so will avoid answering it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
robs1 wrote:
Why dont the media stop asking such stupid effing questions. No one knows what will happen next month let alone next winter.


I agree. what riles me is that by saying what he said it implies they are talking about it already. i strongly suspect there is a NHS lobby to do this every winter when the usual crisis happens.

People are beginning to despair and I have noticed this in myself and in others and this makes it much much worse for me. I want to book for January 2022 but I'm actually hesitating because I won't cope with it being cancelled.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robboj wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Why dont the media stop asking such stupid effing questions. No one knows what will happen next month let alone next winter.


I agree. what riles me is that by saying what he said it implies they are talking about it already. i strongly suspect there is a NHS lobby to do this every winter when the usual crisis happens.

People are beginning to despair and I have noticed this in myself and in others and this makes it much much worse for me. I want to book for January 2022 but I'm actually hesitating because I won't cope with it being cancelled.


I can't see that happening at all. I'm not saying there won't be another lockdown, I just don't think it will be implemented for the normal winter flu pressures. With the vaccine roll out the huge improvements in immuno response drugs, I'm holding out hope of getting some skiing done in early 2022.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robs1 wrote:
robboj wrote:
All he should be saying is that we can't possibly answer that question just now.

There should be no need to ask it either as there should be a plan that we can all refer to tell us what to expect.

I'm fed up with the worst expectation management exercise in history being twisted constantly by the opinion of whatever muppet is sent out to face the media that day.

Right now I don't trust them not to do this every winter to protect their fökin NHS anyway

Why dont the media stop asking such stupid effing questions. No one knows what will happen next month let alone next winter.


What annoys me is not necessarily them asking the question, but the way that they then report it. A minister gets asked if we'll be in lockdown next winter, he potentially gives a nice balanced viewpoint essentially saying that with the current plan there is a good chance that we won't be, but obviously they can't rule it out completely. That then gets reported as the dramatic "Minister says we could be in lockdown next winter" - which then spreads like wildfire on social media from people who only read the headline.

*hypothetical situation!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmycb5, Thats a fair point and I hope the prevailing view but there will be a lobby saying it worked this time so why not again? They don't even need to persuade us? Another 'new strain' anytime they need it and away we don't go.

@Handy Turnip, That's probably true a lot of the time but having listened to the interview today that is the salient point, despite a lot of waffle around it.

The only honesty thus far has been from Whitty who did exactly what they don't want and told the truth about the future of Covid infection and death but said the politicians will have to decide where the line will be drawn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robboj wrote:
@Timmycb5, Thats a fair point and I hope the prevailing view but there will be a lobby saying it worked this time so why not again? They don't even need to persuade us? Another 'new strain' anytime they need it and away we don't go.

I think that would have to be backed up with some pretty strong evidence. I suspect there are limits to just how much people are willing to take, and we’ll probably begin to see people who are largely in agreement with necessary lockdowns (of which I would say I am one) pushing against it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At least if you only miss this season, that's only one season. I'd missed the 2018-19 season so was all set to ski 2019-20 in March but that didnt happen. So, with this season gone, I haven't skied an inch for three seasons (I've written this one off now). Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmycb5 wrote:
robboj wrote:
@Timmycb5, Thats a fair point and I hope the prevailing view but there will be a lobby saying it worked this time so why not again? They don't even need to persuade us? Another 'new strain' anytime they need it and away we don't go.

I think that would have to be backed up with some pretty strong evidence. I suspect there are limits to just how much people are willing to take, and we’ll probably begin to see people who are largely in agreement with necessary lockdowns (of which I would say I am one) pushing against it.


Again I agree. What evidence do we have of any new strain though.Is the current situation because of the new strain or just because its winter.

There was official talk back in the summer of a test that would be able to tell if we had the cold the flu or covid. Has never been heard of since alas.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skullie
LaForet wrote:
No one in the public perhaps, no. But the Cabinet has to actually run the country. Which means looking ahead, judging probable scenarios, evaluating the key factors, making plans and revising them in the light of new information. It has the entire apparatus of state and huge scientific support community at its disposal. It has the international connections to get information from other countries and to coordinate its actions with theirs.

So it is resonable to ask them about the future.

And to get the answer "We don't really know." is not acceptable. It means that at best, they are incompetent, or worse might be competent, but can't be bothered.


Which is what he did IE they cant rule it out, everyone Hope's that the vaccine will prevent serious infections at the very least, we hope no new variants will be more serious etc etc, but there isnt one person on the planet that knows if those Hopes will come true.
If he said we wont have a lock down next winter and then we have too then we can all see the headlines about government minister tells lies etc etc
snow conditions



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy