Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It ain't much but......

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead


I'm on the snow.
No lifts running
4km of piste
Having to walk up
Although it's only about 10 miles as the crow flies, it takes 50 min to drive there across Zagreb

But I'm slidin, I only tried boarding for one day about 25 years ago & swore never to touch one again but I just can't ski slowly & 20 min walking up for 20s skiing down was a non starter so I hired 3 boards for me & my partners boys to have a go at boarding, lessons courtesy of YouTube and off we went Very Happy.
I'm starting to make linked turns after 4 hrs & the boys are not far behind Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person


Good social distance Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done!

I really appreciate that think-out-of-the-box approach. Seriously.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The kids will be leaving you for dust in about another hour. Make sure you film yoursleves and then post for our entertainment properly analyse your footage. Chances are that early in the process you're kicking round with your back foot to complete turns which is a BAD habit for the future and common in self taught boarders
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Marvellous tangowaggon Very Happy

Snow....sliding....What's not to like??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I like that story.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The kids will be leaving you for dust in about another hour. Make sure you film yoursleves and then post for our entertainment properly analyse your footage. Chances are that early in the process you're kicking round with your back foot to complete turns which is a BAD habit for the future and common in self taught boarders


We'll see how it goes, I'm addicted to the carving sensation on skis & v impressed when boarders carve on the toe edge with their noses almost touching the snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!



I see that you've mastered the art of sitting in the middle of the piste with no trouble at all Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, great choice to board in that situation. Snow looks good too. Way to go! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:



I see that you've mastered the art of sitting in the middle of the piste with no trouble at all Cool


It's the first thing I taught the boys Very Happy Very Happy we couldn't find a blind crest to sit under though, so I just explained the principle Laughing

The snow on the piste was perfect, real hero snow, firm & smooth, just soft enough to get a good edge grip, just wish I had my skis to cut some rails into it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good effort (although it would be less effort and bruises with touring skis) Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"It ain't much but......"

it's what many of us would love to be doing right now, and big thumbs up for your efforts to make it happen - and the humble (rather than gloating!) write up!!

Make the most of it and enjoy!!

All the uphill walking will do you the world of good!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
Good effort (although it would be less effort and bruises with touring skis) Toofy Grin

But that's precisely the point though. It would be boring if it's less effort.

In the OP's case, he is aiming for "maximum effort" by learning to board. So doing short laps makes perfect sense.

To be honest, I never really understand it when I see people skinning up the side of a well groomed piste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:

To be honest, I never really understand it when I see people skinning up the side of a well groomed piste.


If the lifts were running what would he be doing? If he was to skin up he gets more skiing in.

The first time I saw a ski tourer I just couldn‘t comprehend why? ( it was at approx. 3000m on a glacier)

I now Skitour so I can get to other parts of the mountain lift served riders just can‘t reach. This also means going higher than the lifts for maximum effort.

Skinning up the side of the piste is just something we endure so we are fit enough to get to the real thing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
People walk (or even run) up Snowdon, even though there's a train. And I saw a couple of climbers coming over the railings onto one of the viewing platforms at the top of the Aiguille du Midi. It's what people do. Even I have been known to walk up a road when I could have caught a bus. In the case of the Chamonix climbers they ended up going down in the cable car the same time as we did - and they were taken to one side at the bottom, to pay their fares. They looked a bit peeved.

A day on snowboards looks great. Bet you'll ache tomorrow, @tangowaggon.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good on you, @tangowaggon!

Great attitude, we should all be inspired!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB wrote:

I now Skitour so I can get to other parts of the mountain lift served riders just can‘t reach.

That, I totally understand.

It's just the skinning up the side of piste I have trouble understanding. But as you said, it's kind of like going to the gym. But then, is it really skiing? Or is it more like an outdoor gym while wearing skis... Toofy Grin

DB wrote:
If the lifts were running what would he be doing? If he was to skin up he gets more skiing in.
tangowaggon wrote:
but I just can't ski slowly & 20 min walking up for 20s skiing down was a non starter

It maybe "less effort". But it's still 20 minutes up and 20 seconds down. A "non-starter" according to the OP.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Double post


Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 13-01-21 21:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:

It's just the skinning up the side of piste I have trouble understanding. But as you said, it's kind of like going to the gym. But then, is it really skiing? Or is it more like an outdoor gym while wearing skis... Toofy Grin


To be honest, unless I‘m with family or friends - skiing on pistes in a resort is like treading a hamster wheel. I‘d rather get myself fit for the stuff that floats my boat/skis.

Less time sitting on the lift to me is more but that might be hard for a New Yorker to get his head around.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tangowaggon, Looking cool already man Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:

Less time sitting on the lift to me is more but that might be hard for a New Yorker to get his head around.

Yes, New Yorkers are all for efficiency. So 20 minutes skinny up for 20 seconds sliding down is really inefficient. Something non-New Yorkers probably find it hard to get his head around
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a great positive attitude Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
DB wrote:

Less time sitting on the lift to me is more but that might be hard for a New Yorker to get his head around.

Yes, New Yorkers are all for efficiency. So 20 minutes skinny up for 20 seconds sliding down is really inefficient. Something non-New Yorkers probably find it hard to get his head around


That‘s like saying it‘s more efficient to do a marathon in a New York taxi.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
abc wrote:
DB wrote:

Less time sitting on the lift to me is more but that might be hard for a New Yorker to get his head around.

Yes, New Yorkers are all for efficiency. So 20 minutes skinny up for 20 seconds sliding down is really inefficient. Something non-New Yorkers probably find it hard to get his head around


That‘s like saying it‘s more efficient to do a marathon in a New York taxi.

Or like telling your boss you're late to work because you ran to work instead of driving.

And ironically:
DB wrote:
it would be less effort and bruises with touring skis


Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 13-01-21 22:26; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
abc wrote:

It's just the skinning up the side of piste I have trouble understanding. But as you said, it's kind of like going to the gym. But then, is it really skiing? Or is it more like an outdoor gym while wearing skis... Toofy Grin


To be honest, unless I‘m with family or friends - skiing on pistes in a resort is like treading a hamster wheel. I‘d rather get myself fit for the stuff that floats my boat/skis.

Less time sitting on the lift to me is more but that might be hard for a New Yorker to get his head around.


I'm with abc on this one, thinking about it, even if the lift was to open (it might be soon) I would soon get bored lapping this one short piste, maybe try doing the whole piste on one leg or backwards? There is no offpiste, I'm a very good skier, used to anything the snowheads offpiste week throws at me. If I was in a big ski area with a bunch of good skiers, I wouldn't dream of wasting time learning to board.

This is a very small ski area, 4km! The snow is ideal for learning a new skill, I am happy at this moment having seen my ability improve in just a few hours and I am looking forward to getting back up the mountain. If I was skiing, I would probably be bored already and go back to sitting in the flat doing nothing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc
??? Skiing isn‘t work.

Some people just prefer doing things like this.


http://youtube.com/v/eO9GtA1L-uE


Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 13-01-21 23:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tangowaggon,

It looked from the pics as though offpiste was possible. A friend was in Serbia recently and said they had a lot of snow in the Balkans. Kärnten has tons of snow. Can understand learning a new skill takes the boredom out of it just couldn‘t understand why someone would drag a snowboard up a 4 km piste when they could skin up something more challenging, thanks for explaining. I guess you can‘t get across the border to Nassfeld or other Austria resorts?


Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 14-01-21 10:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That great big grin says it all Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, that was a dumb idea, after three 3hr sessions of just walking up & snowboarding down
11yr old has sprained, possibly broken wrist after a simple fall backwards
I caught a front edge & fell flat on my front but somehow my fist was between my ribs & the snow so now nursing very sore ribs.
15yr old has seen the carnage (light) & wants to stick to skis.
Although it was a good feeling, being able to make turns & progress in a new skill, the type of fall when snowboarding is just too painful, lose a back edge and you slam into the snow on your back, catch a front edge and your face & chest slam into the snow, lose a front edge and your wrists take the hit.
Just waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon, wrist guards are a must when learning.
Good to give it a try now get back to proper snow sliding Toofy Grin At least you know what you're missing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is brilliant mate, what a great way of utilising the time you've got! And of course, now you can snowboard instead of skiing you're instantly 100% cooler.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tangowaggon, I hope everyone recovers with no ill effects.
You might not be left in charge again though Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tangowaggon,
I wouldn't write boarding off just yet, give it another go in 25 years. Third time lucky and all that. wink

Didn't realise there was any skiing in Croatia until you posted this thread, thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can go off people you have never met really quickly.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tangowaggon wrote:
Ok, that was a dumb idea, after three 3hr sessions of just walking up & snowboarding down
11yr old has sprained, possibly broken wrist after a simple fall backwards
I caught a front edge & fell flat on my front but somehow my fist was between my ribs & the snow so now nursing very sore ribs.
15yr old has seen the carnage (light) & wants to stick to skis.
Although it was a good feeling, being able to make turns & progress in a new skill, the type of fall when snowboarding is just too painful, lose a back edge and you slam into the snow on your back, catch a front edge and your face & chest slam into the snow, lose a front edge and your wrists take the hit.
Just waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in. Laughing


Pfft do you think people who make it to be snowboarders let such trivialities derail them? No the pain barrier in your first 3 days is what everyone must go through. That and learning to fall without reflexively throwing out a palm etc (shoulders are strong and can take a lot of punishment).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, if you're not covered in bruises by about hour 2 you're not trying hard enough Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today,
11 yr old still not happy with wrist so mum took him to A&E, small break in his wrist rolling eyes
I took the snowboards back
The lift is opening on Tuesday Very Happy I was getting bored with walking up.

Dilemma

Carry on boarding with almost 100% chance of further injury.

Or

Get the skis out but get bored quickly just lapping the one short piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tangowaggon, Do both you lucky B
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tangowaggon, lap the one short piste till you get bored, then change into boarding.

You're probably at the crux of "getting it" (further injury notwithstanding)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My problem is that I am a "run before walking" personality ie, I tend to go for it before building the necessary skill level, a friend said he would master the blue runs before tackling a red run, my approach was to learn on the reds and I would be skiing the blues like a pro in no time. At the time I was learning to ski in my 20s, I fortunately had a body tough enough to withstand the predictable carnage rolling eyes Very Happy Laughing 30 years on and my mind has matured in the sense that it has lost the ability to learn that my body has lost the ability to be thrown down a mountain without damage Laughing I'm happily stuck in 1986 wondering why my body is hurting Puzzled
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy