Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips to Improve

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey, I have skied a total of 5weeks with about a week worth of lessons in the past 7 years and still ski at the same red run on good conditions level. Does anyone have any recommendations on ways to improve? I was looking into courses to try and beat this plateau. Any ideas, stories etc would be great
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy to provide some lessons, check out www.insideoutskiing.com Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ELondonSlow, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I was in that position, except after about 15-20 weeks over about 20 years Confused
When the first snowHeads bash occurred, a really talented instructor, who was very supportive of the new young snowHeads community, came along for the week, gave us all lessons and donated all the funds to helping snowHeads get going.
I was invited to join a group lesson and it would have been rude not to... I'd like to say that this was the magic moment but honestly, I didn't get on with it and came out of the other end just a bit demoralised.
However, the following year, I took a private lesson with this same instructor and that was the one that utterly blew my mind!
It started the day before, when she told me to bring different skis to my lesson to the ones I was on. Mine were designed to make off-piste easier, and lacked responsiveness for piste skiing. Of course, she was right, but it wasn't something that had ever occurred to me.
Over the course of 90 minutes, she 'awakened' me to how much work the skis should be doing for me and started me on the path of learning how to make them do it.

In my case, I really needed that one-to-one focus to get me going, to get me un-stuck from where I'd been for a while. That's not to say I haven't learned in group lessons since, I have done, a lot! But I still take at least one 90 minute 1-2-1 each season, with someone who I know to be an excellent instructor (I'm fortunate to know a few now snowHead ) and we focus entirely on where I'm at and where I need to go next in my technique.

OTOH, I know people who find private lessons too intense and far prefer the camaraderie and sociability of learning amongst others of a somewhat similar level.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ELondonSlow, Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Get a private lesson; it’s definitely worth the extra expense to get you on the right track. Otherwise you’ll be stuck on that plateau for a longgg time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for private lessons, and it's good you have realised early that you need help. I have had to spend a lot of time and effort undoing all my skiing flaws to become an much better skier
The other thing that has helped us fitness. Five years ago I was 20kg heavier and skiing was my only exercise during the year. Now I am down to 80kg and I work out four times a week. With a mixture of cardio and weight lifting exercise.
I'm a lot fitter and it has helped my skiing no end.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 24-12-20 22:15; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Five years ago I was 20kg heavier and asking was my two weeks of exercise a year.
Asking for pies? Wink

...and I agree, undoing the bad habits learnt outside lessons has been the biggest challenge.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me and the wife went through the insideout program of targeted group sessions, cheaper than privates but really brought us on because there was a theme. Now they do (outside of covid) improver and tuneups and these work well. Private is definitely best but these are a close second, hope they get to bring them back.

We've been skiing less years but probably twice the weeks you have and I like to think time on snow and working with IOS and a couple of other local instructors has really brought us on. I think the difference the lessons have made is that we now approach tougher runs now as a "how to do it" rather than "how to survive it". So much left to learn though !

I'm always at Hemel on Saturday mornings (when covid allows) but I fear I practice in more bad than good, so having that other pair of eyes pointing out the changes needed really makes the difference. I'm not sure privates will deliver night and day changes, and I suspect you'll come away with more questions, but if you just get that nugget of information it can really help. I've had those "make this change" moments with both rob@rar and skimottaret and its been amazing but other lessons have just been steady progression which is still very rewarding.

Video recordings of your skiing are very useful but I've learnt you still ideally need that knowledgeable eye to spot the issues
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
100% for private lessons. I spent a week with UCPA to learn how to ski. It was great to get people on a pair of skis and safely slide down the mountain. I went on a couple more trips with UCPA and didn't improve much. I then discovered snowheads and got in touch with Rob from InsideOut and from day 1 I learned so much! Private lesson is definitely worth the money and you get so much more out of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy