Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 2020/21 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Time to get this show on the road again!

There's been a fair few snowfalls on the peaks through October, and the young guns have been getting pretty damn sendy already, but Stubai was still looking a bit too sharky to tempt me up 'til last Sunday. Probably another 20-30cm had fallen over the previous two days, with sunday dawning bright and blue.

Apparently beforehand the glacier had been waaaay quieter than usual, but the beautiful weather brought a few others out to play out too, and the road up plus car park were pretty busy. There were two queues (made with metal barriers) for the gondola to help maintain some social distancing, which kinda worked - most groups probably had around a metre of distance between them and those behind. The wait wasn't too bad either, maybe 10-15 minutes, but it did mean we didn't get up until around 10am.

Obviously by then the main lift-accessed lines were tracked out (with plenty of sharks poking through!), so Menno and I went for a little walk to find something nicer for my (he had already been a couple of times) first turns of the winter.

In the end we skinned up under one of the still-closed chairlifts on the Dauernferner side, then up behind the peak to access a nice long and still untracked bowl. Only about 600m vert up, but at 3000m and after spending most of the summer kayaking in the valleys my legs were definitely feeling a little weak afterwards (forgetting my water bottle probably didn't help either).

Menno dropped first:

The sun had affected it a bit, but still pretty damn nice snow for literally my first turns of the season!

Cruising back along the piste after this absolute spectacle revealed itself - cue much stopping and staring by everyone around!

Maybe you can just about make out our tracks in the central bowl:

We later cruised a few pistes, then skinned up the Fernau side (not yet open) for some more mellow powder skipping.

Pistes generally in pretty good condition, maybe a littler firm lower down towards the midstation, but good coverage.

Regarding social distancing measures, there were no capacity restrictions on the lifts. In the cable car most groups seemed to try to leave a few seats free between other groups, and everyone wore facemasks in both the queue and inside. Things were a little more lax on chairlifts: I'd guess around 90% of people wore facemasks in the queues, and probably fewer on the actual lift (at least when seated with only their own group).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks good Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fantasic!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, picture 6

The ski gods are for real!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, Nice one, lucky guys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe stick a health warning on those pics if people have to STAY HOME this Winter: "VIEWING THE FOLLOWING PICTURES FROM THE CONFINES OF YOUR HOME IS LIKELY TO DAMAGE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH!". Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jellylegs wrote:
Wow, picture 6

Was wondering how that effect was created - Looks like a reflection of the photographers eye.

There was a short piece about Stubai on Austrian TV last night showing very little social distancing or people wearing masks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
jellylegs wrote:
Wow, picture 6

Was wondering how that effect was created -

I was thinking it was something like a Fraunhoffer ring (sp?) if I remember correctly from schooldays!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great to see someone skiing. Could actually be a great year for anyone lucky enough to live in the mountains as opposed to dribbling from abroad like the rest of us.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DCG wrote:
DB wrote:
jellylegs wrote:
Wow, picture 6

Was wondering how that effect was created -

I was thinking it was something like a Fraunhoffer ring (sp?) if I remember correctly from schooldays!

Sun dog: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I took this photo to show today’s conditions at Stubai before the announcement that they would shut the lifts on Tuesday (I should’ve taken one a bit earlier, before we lost the sun from the other side, but I forgot).

I think there was a dusting a couple of days ago, following heavier snow earlier in the week. Coverage was good, especially as it’s only October, and skiing to the mid station was no problem at all, although it looked a bit brown below that. Off-piste was firm, and hard work on my skinny piste skis, but not too bad and preferable to the piste in places.

Weather was warm and sunny, not too crowded, and not a bad day out for the €484 it cost me rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy