Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Issues with Blackdiamond/Pieps transievers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
***This is not a product recall***

Christina Lutsi an ACMG Guide and pro skier has posted today about some issues with BD/Pieps transceivers and thought it was worth sharing to raise awareness in the interest of safety.

Nick is proskier Nick McNutt in the text below - Story is that during filming with TGR in Pemberton BC, Nicks sluff caused a big pillow to collapse that side swiped him through trees and buried him. The crew couldn't pick up his transceiver signal though they had done a safety check at the start of the day.

Quote:
In the following days I was in disbelief that Nicks transceiver had turned off. The experience left me questioning the Integrity of the Pieps DSPpro. A few days after the incident I sent a email to the guiding community enquiring about similar experiences or issues with this device. I was surprised to see my email flooded with similar accounts, even dating back to 2017. ⚠️The problem being it can switch modes easily without the user’s knowledge⚠️ Due to poor design the button wears out and no longer provides resistance allowing it to slide out of send mode. We suspect the impact from Nick being dragged through the trees switched his to off, burdening us with a full burial with no signal. This only confirmed our lack of confidence in the device, a piece of equipment that is paramount to the safety of backcountry riders. We as a community should not question the reliability of rescue gear and should demand industry standards. Nick has been in conversation with Black Diamond/Pieps with hopes of a product recall of the Pieps DSP pro/sport models and dismantling sales of this product. No recall has been publicly communicated and this device is still for sale online. Our main goal is to get this device off of users in the ski industry, so this doesn’t happen again and again.

•If you or someone you know owns one I would suggest contacting BD/Pieps warranty and request a replacement upgrade model.
•If you’re in the market for a new transceiver I’d suggest a Mammute barryvox #notsponsored I think it’s a premium product.
•Whatever gear you’ve acquired use it properly. Wear it properly. Practice all and every scenarios so when poo-poo hits the fan you can be there for your partners.
•Take avalanche training courses.
•Hire a guide! Lots will be looking for work this winter.
•Find a mentor. •Do a mandatory morning transceiver check
•Acquire a backcountry communication device.
The list goes on ... but I hope this has been helpful

Head over to Chrisitna's Instagram where she has a video showing how the button doesn't stay locked in place - and to read a full account of the events.
https://www.picuki.com/profile/christinalusti
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also appears to have happened in 2017, and the widow tried to get BD to do a recall then!

https://www.facebook.com/bri.howard.18/posts/10104798993615257
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So Pieps released a message on Instagram yesterday - recognising a potential issue but no recall yet:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGT6EzAlgLn/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just seen this on Instagram shared by Cody Townsend, kinda shocking behaviour from Black Diamond
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
extremerob wrote:
So Pieps released a message on Instagram yesterday - recognising a potential issue but no recall yet:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGT6EzAlgLn/

The comments make for bad reading, mainly because of the poor response from Pieps. Strikes me that damage has been done, too many people are seeing this and won’t trust them, and when it’s a potentially life saving bit of equipment you kinda need to trust it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, absolutely right, though it depends how far and wide this is being spread, it also appears that BD aren't publicising a "potential" issue about their transceivers in the same way that pieps are.

Its now been picked up by TGR

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/gear-tech/whats-going-on-with-those-pieps-avalanche-beacons
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@extremerob, arguably one burial survived and a death are enough for it to be considered widespread imo. If I had one I'd be now using it as a practice bleep...but ymmv.

Makes me glad that my transceiver is a flip phone type and in send mode by default.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ouch. These things happen, but that's going to be a product killer any way they spin it from now.

It's not uncommon for things to be recalled or to have "advisories" published - my own air bag had one of those for example.
If they strengthened the selector for later product but didn't recall the early devices,
and if those early devices are causing this type of behaviour... ...a recall is presumably now inevitable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I finally got round to digging mine out of my pack, and sure enough it's quite easy to switch it from send to search without pressing down on the button that is supposed to lock it in place. It's even easier if you push the switch up at the back (it wraps around the device).

So it looks like I'll buy a Barryvox, which has a great reputation, and from the (admittedly fairly basic) testing at the last 2 PSBs is the only one to outperform the Pieps.

So, Barryvox or Barryvox S?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy