Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Swiss National day yesterday - great fireworks.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stayed at the hotel at Schynige Platte last night. Great food and very comfortable. Today we walked from there across to First. It’s a pretty tough walk of almost 17km, but the views are amazing. The Männdlenen hut is handily positioned at the halfway mark.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great pictures, keep them coming
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Those of you who have seen the previous series of Michael Portillo's Great Continental Railway Journeys (not the current series) will know that for that previous series he used a 1913 edition of Bradshaw's Continental Railway Guide. An exact facsimile of that edition is available from Amazon and I've recently bought a copy. The sections on Interlaken and the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Wengen and Mürren make for interesting reading. I've scanned them as .jpg photos and attached them to this post. Note it says that it is expected that the railway to the top of the Jungfrau will be completed in 1915. Smile Also for Mürren it says from the village "the summit of the Allmendhubel may be easily reached in three quarters of an hour by pleasant paths". I think the Allmendhubelbahn only opened in 1912, so I guess they didn't have time to try it out before writing the 1913 edition. Madeye-Smiley



snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2021 Inferno race to go ahead:

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/184275/

In the event that the rules about large gatherings are tightened again, the race could be split over 2 days.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Best train ticket to get from Geneva airport - Lauterbrunnen ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike wrote:
2021 Inferno race to go ahead:

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/184275/

In the event that the rules about large gatherings are tightened again, the race could be split over 2 days.



According to the Federal Council decision of August 12, 2020, events with more than 1000 people may be held again from October. This decision means that the regular execution of the 78th International Inferno Races from January 20-23, 2021 is guaranteed. However, the OC dealt with a plan B. This includes, among other things, the division of the departure over two days. In the event of a cancellation due to COVID-19, the entry fee will be 100 percent refunded.

According to the currently applicable COVID-19 regulations, events with more than 1,000 participants are allowed again from October 2020. Accordingly, the 78th International Inferno Races from January 20-23, 2021 can be planned as usual. That means the cross-country race on Wednesday, the giant slalom on Thursday and the downhill race on Saturday. However, the OC dealt with the possible options for holding the races under stricter COVID-19 regulations at the beginning of August. This resulted in a plan B, which can be consulted at any time if the measures are tightened again. The party in the sports center will in any case take place to a greatly reduced extent. Ski racing and health are undoubtedly at the center of the event.

Plan B: Splitting the Inferno departure over two days

Should the Federal Council again define stricter measures, the OC will consider splitting the downhill race over two days with a maximum field of 1,850 drivers. The field of participants should not be reduced, but it would not be possible to have all drivers start on the same day: On Friday the start numbers 701 to 1600 would compete. On Saturday, the top favorites in the men's categories with starting numbers 1 to 700, including the women's Top30 block (numbers 201 - 230), as well as the block with the participants in the Super3 racing series would be at the start. The Inferno newbies with starting numbers 1601 - 1850 would also start on Saturday. With a start interval of 12 seconds, five drivers set out on the track every minute. Crowds of more than 50 racing drivers could therefore be avoided both at the start and at the finish and controlled with suitable measures. The races on both days would be counted as one race. The cross-country skiing competition with around 550 athletes on Wednesday evening in the village center of Mürren would take place as usual. Likewise the giant slalom on Thursday. On the other hand, the framework programs would be reduced accordingly to an acceptable minimum.

Refund of the entry fee in case of cancellation

If the Inferno ski races in 2021 have to be canceled due to COVID-19, the entry fees will be refunded 100 percent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes wrote:
Best train ticket to get from Geneva airport - Lauterbrunnen ?


Depends on the context of the visit these days Chris, now that the Transfer Ticket is no more. For example, a week's summer break in the Oberland easily justifies the purchase of a half-fare card, which can obviously be used for the transfer. Doesn’t work for a ski holiday though. If it’s just a point to point journey, then just pay the standard fare.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes wrote:
Best train ticket to get from Geneva airport - Lauterbrunnen ?


Supersaver ticket, can only be bought within 60 days of travel, gets more expensive closer to the date of travel: https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/supersaver-tickets.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Mike & Alastair

Just planning a trip for next year and trying to look at costing for my mates flying in. I guess as usual it would be easier for me to collect them like i have done in previous years.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Finally going to make it over, by bike, next weekend. Fingers crossed for good weather!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow down to about 1700 metres today. Temp in the village at lunchtime was a chilly +5C.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At Suppenalp at 1850m above Mürren.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300101420574797827
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After a restaurant recommendation in Interlaken for 5 hungry cyclists on a Friday night?

Barracuda Café and bar, that I found on Tripadvisor, any good?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
After a restaurant recommendation in Interlaken for 5 hungry cyclists on a Friday night?

Barracuda Café and bar, that I found on Tripadvisor, any good?


Barracuda is great, but it gets very busy and it isn’t very big. 100 metres up the road you'll find the Tells. Great ribs, worth reserving a table. Where are you staying?

http://www.the-tells.ch/
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@telford_mike, Hotel du Nord - Honweg 70. Just 1 night as we’re off over the grosse scheidegg pass to Andermatt the next morning. The Tells sounds great. Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BobinCH wrote:
@telford_mike, Hotel du Nord - Honweg 70. Just 1 night as we’re off over the grosse scheidegg pass to Andermatt the next morning. The Tells sounds great. Thanks!


Much closer to your hotel is the Bier Hüsi - sister pub of the Tells. More extensive menu and bigger.

https://www.huesi-interlaken.ch/

Have a great weekend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
@telford_mike, Hotel du Nord - Honweg 70. Just 1 night as we’re off over the grosse scheidegg pass to Andermatt the next morning. The Tells sounds great. Thanks!


Much closer to your hotel is the Bier Hüsi - sister pub of the Tells. More extensive menu and bigger.

https://www.huesi-interlaken.ch/

Have a great weekend.


Perfect. Will switch to that one. Cheers!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Discounted ski passes for next season on sale from 1/10/2020 until 13/12/2020. Covers the usual areas of Wengen/Mürren/Grindelwald, Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk and Meiringen Hasliberg.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
telford_mike wrote:
Discounted ski passes for next season on sale from 1/10/2020 until 13/12/2020. Covers the usual areas of Wengen/Mürren/Grindelwald, Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk and Meiringen Hasliberg.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf


I was actually looking for this earlier. I thought it was going to be 950 chf for the top 4 pass. It`s 777chf before the end of December?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Deedee wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Discounted ski passes for next season on sale from 1/10/2020 until 13/12/2020. Covers the usual areas of Wengen/Mürren/Grindelwald, Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk and Meiringen Hasliberg.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf


I was actually looking for this earlier. I thought it was going to be 950 chf for the top 4 pass. It`s 777chf before the end of December?


You have to buy it by the 13th December to get it at CHF777, after that it’s CHF950 for the Jungfrau Region only.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good morning Grindelwald Very Happy


snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, looks like you chose a very good weekend!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
telford_mike wrote:
@BobinCH, looks like you chose a very good weekend!


Sure did get lucky with the weather. It was glorious! The Grisse Scheidegg col and the ride down to Lammi with the hanging glaciers above, and Eiger and Monch in the background is spectacular! Nicest col I’ve ridden I think. You are spoilt for scenery!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The cows came down from Wengernalp this morning.



Glorious weather, 24C in the village.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great picture Mike
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not much social distancing there (between the cows)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
Deedee wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Discounted ski passes for next season on sale from 1/10/2020 until 13/12/2020. Covers the usual areas of Wengen/Mürren/Grindelwald, Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk and Meiringen Hasliberg.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf


I was actually looking for this earlier. I thought it was going to be 950 chf for the top 4 pass. It`s 777chf before the end of December?


You have to buy it by the 13th December to get it at CHF777, after that it’s CHF950 for the Jungfrau Region only.


I’ve been looking at this. Is anyone going for it? It’s a bit of a risk with the whole COVID situation isn’t it. The website mentions ski pass insurance - does anyone know if that will pay out for COVID related cancellations?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quatsnow wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Deedee wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Discounted ski passes for next season on sale from 1/10/2020 until 13/12/2020. Covers the usual areas of Wengen/Mürren/Grindelwald, Gstaad, Adelboden/Lenk and Meiringen Hasliberg.

https://www.jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf


I was actually looking for this earlier. I thought it was going to be 950 chf for the top 4 pass. It`s 777chf before the end of December?


You have to buy it by the 13th December to get it at CHF777, after that it’s CHF950 for the Jungfrau Region only.


I’ve been looking at this. Is anyone going for it? It’s a bit of a risk with the whole COVID situation isn’t it. The website mentions ski pass insurance - does anyone know if that will pay out for COVID related cancellations?


Yes, going for it - but a no-brainer only if you’re here for the season. The insurance that they mention is CHF4 per day so basically useless for a season. You pay your money and take your choice!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Popped up to the Jungfraujoch yesterday and had a walk out to the Mönchjoch hut. It's a nice day out and the hut is great.



snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
lovely pictures and i'm sure a great walk
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Damon Hill and Chemmy Alcott in the Inferno again this year. All start numbers have now gone.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/184819/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
telford_mike wrote:
Damon Hill and Chemmy Alcott in the Inferno again this year. All start numbers have now gone.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/184819/


correct and don't forget Dougie Crawford
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like a cold snap will be hitting the region this weekend with snow down to 1400m. Webcams to the ready....lol
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travellers from the U.K. must now quarantine for 10 days upon entry to Switzerland. Effective 28th September.

https://www.bernerzeitung.ch/bag-meldet-514-neuansteckungen-berner-hobbykicker-muss-40-kollegen-in-quarantaene-schicken-707221502952
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@telford_mike, bummer! Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
bummer! Sad


Indeed. So no Brits, Belgians or Dutch. Most of France also affected. Could be a very quiet winter. On the bright side, the snow line is creeping down towards the village.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
not good news Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chances this lasts through January? Have fully refundable (up to last minute) accommodation booked for late January in Wengen. Don’t want to bail on the owner last minute when they could find someone else...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
garfmiller wrote:
Chances this lasts through January? Have fully refundable (up to last minute) accommodation booked for late January in Wengen. Don’t want to bail on the owner last minute when they could find someone else...


That depends entirely on the behaviour of people living in the U.K. Hope it gets sorted out though, we have family coming to stay in Feb.
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy