Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux early season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I'm wondering what people's experiences of Hintertux have been in, say, Novembers.

The snow reports suggest snow high up but webcams show a lot of green stuff!

If travel restrictions ease, I've got a midweek option for a few days mid-November. I mainly ski reds, and am happy on very hard pack.

What are people's thoughts?

And presumably it's dead easy to hire skis at that time of year?

Thanks for your time.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There will definitely be snow at Hintertux in early November. The question is, what will skiing conditions, be like?

Based on my experience of 30 years of European glacier skiing (inc. Hintertux) from September onwards, the probability is that glacier conditions will be pretty decent then. In my experience, that time of year has historically been very reliable for good conditions. I've experienced valley level snow as early as late October (contradiction which hopefully makes sense!) with winter conditions at altitude. However, the snow level will likely be higher than that, with good snow on the glacier. In all probability, there will be decent skiing back to Tuxer Fernerhaus (approx 2300m) at Hintertux. You may even encounter the first big dump of winter (and powder) - in which case the place could get very busy.

On the other hand, I have had marginal glacier conditions in early November on only one occasion - that was at Tignes, with boiler plate conditions on very old snow. Still fun to be out for some early season turns though.

Hintertux ski hire is easy - big shop with massive selection right at the bottom gondola station. Cheaper if you book online in advance - & probably cheaper still from shops 30 mins down the road in Mayrhofen, or further up the valley in Lanersbach.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's great, thanks for suxh a comprehensive reply.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nickinscottishmountains,

Up until 2017 we skied at least 10 consecutive October half term weeks on Austrian glaciers and always had, at least, very decent snow conditions. And, as mountainaddict experienced, we also often had great, winter, conditions.

We usually did a road trip, with 2 or 3 days at each glacier, and, over the years, sampled Hintertux, Soelden, Stubai, Pitztal, Kaprun and Kaunertal.

You should also easily find cheap (B&B or self catering) accommodation at any glacier in November, even last minute. We would always be happy to turn up and knock on guesthouse doors to find somewhere to stay but, of course, the internet now removes that issue.

November would be a great time of the year to ski the glaciers. Go for it! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much what others have said. It’s normally pretty good at that time of year with skiing down to 2300m. Lift wurde can get a bit busy at weekends especially round 26 October (Austrian National Day) and All Saints’ which is a Sunday this year. But definitely fun enough for two to three days. Always feel privileged to get days in in October and November (occasionally a few cheeky ones in September). And fun to ski at the top whilst the valley is looking all autumnal.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s normally fantastic.

We have been every year for last 5 years to an Austrian glacier (mostly Tux). Mid Nov.

Conditions are as described above. Last year was very marginal and the worst I have encountered but mainly due to high winds making a lot of hard pack.

3 years we had powder.

Only 1 year skiing open below Tuxer fernerhaus.

There is a public holiday in Slovak and Czech on or around 17th Nov. If that coincides with a dump of snow then it can get very busy at Hintertux. Such that you want to be there early or you find yourself waiting in a Q to park.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone, as soon as the travel ban changes, I'm going!

I'll report back
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy