Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Old Fartbag - yea I know Aaron of course - top guy. Those are also some incredible memories too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus wrote:
Old Fartbag - yea I know Aaron of course - top guy.

Did he tell you that he failed his motorbike test first time round - For going too slowly! Laughing
TBF, it was due to slowing down for a funeral.

...but boy can he ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Angus wrote:
just be careful in the Cairn - it gets well skied but can be dangerous especially the traverse in!

Wouldn't dream of doing any real off-piste work without a guide or instruction certainly not at my level. By the way do you do off-piste coaching Steve?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russeh wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
just be careful in the Cairn - it gets well skied but can be dangerous especially the traverse in!

Wouldn't dream of doing any real off-piste work without a guide or instruction certainly not at my level. By the way do you do off-piste coaching Steve?

Most definitely - do lots of it!

Old Fartbag - will have to have a chat with him about that!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus wrote:

Old Fartbag - will have to have a chat with him about that!

It'll keep him wondering where you heard it. IIRC. When he was told that he'd failed for going too slow, he said something like, "I've never been accused of that before - I race down mountains on skis for a living".

i haven't seen him for years, as he stopped working full time, joined Progression Ski and only came out for the holidays, as he spent more time at home helping his Father.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Steve - Just joined this forum on a recommendation - you have some great updates! We're a family of 4 (kids ages nearly 4 and 6) and are beyond excited to spend the ski season in a French Ski resort. I have been to Val D'Isere about 15 years ago pre kids and loved it. Thinking about making it our home for this coming ski season. We'd planned to home school this year but would love to involve our kids in some sort of part time education system both to get them immersed in French and to allow mom and dad some solo ski time Smile Is there anything like that in Val? What do you do for your kids? Thank you in advance!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @nicole.bates, how are you getting around the 90 day stay rules?

Have you joined the Val seasonaires FB page? It can be quite useful.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nicole.bates wrote:
Hi Steve - Just joined this forum on a recommendation - you have some great updates! We're a family of 4 (kids ages nearly 4 and 6) and are beyond excited to spend the ski season in a French Ski resort. I have been to Val D'Isere about 15 years ago pre kids and loved it. Thinking about making it our home for this coming ski season. We'd planned to home school this year but would love to involve our kids in some sort of part time education system both to get them immersed in French and to allow mom and dad some solo ski time Smile Is there anything like that in Val? What do you do for your kids? Thank you in advance!

Thanks - have been updating monthly and daily on this thread for years and years now!!!!

So to answer your questions (please ask away if you have more questions or ask more via a pm to me!):

I / we are a family of 4 too.... mine are 3 (yesterday) and 6. We have / do live here year round - mortgages, taxes and everything in between in this country and have done so for about 16 years or so. Val is a good place to live / spend a ski season! Lots of people have the idea to spend a season here especially in these times. So the idea to home school is cool but some things to consider re part time education system here... for a start the only school here in Val is probably fully 'booked' for the Winter but its also a legal requirement to send kids to school here in France from the age of 3! School here is 4 long days, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday! You could look for a private nanny type set up or speak to the Village des Enfants about booking the kids in for some immersive France - thats a sort of kids club! So my kids are both at school year round and full time here! If anything id look into accommodation issues.... finding something to rent for the Winter of a suitable size that doesn't cost say €50,000 for the Winter will be your main concern... larger places with 2/3 bedrooms are hard to find!

Anyway Im not sure what sort of other questions you might have but feel free to contact me if you have more questions! My kids (well my 6 year old girl) often act as the bi-lingual translators in the class! Haha!

But also as bar shaker says the 90 day stay rules could be a major problem!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From Summer to deep Winter!

Well firstly apologies for long time since I last posted - I am not sure how the last 6 weeks have flown past!

Back in mid August when I last posted and for 99% of the last month it has been hot and sunny... There has been the continuation of the Summer... as I said last time it was a bumper season with tourism levels through the roof! So there was the usual activities wherever possible with social distancing etc etc etc. Sights such as the fishing competition up on the Ouillette:

...have been the order of the day... however it has not all been plain sailing as they have spent much of the last few weeks doing some MAJOR improvement works on the road and tunnels between here and the dam. In essence the tunnels are the lifeblood to the resort but they are in desperate need of modernising and improving for safety and practical reasons so there have been frequent queues and traffic lights as well as night closures etc... its annoying whenever you want to go anywhere!

The place explosives into the ground to blow up the ground in a controlled manor apparently!!!

Of course the schools all went back at the beginning of September and my little man (who was 3 yesterday) started too. They start school by law in France the calendar year they turn 3. So anyway he is chuffed getting on the school bus with his big sister each day. All seems to be going well so far.

Not my son but one of his classmates on day one going to school!!

Of course lots of the goings on in the resort are up in the air or hidden in general. One day we took a family trip up the mountain for a walk and a picnic and on the way down observed the loaded water barrels being loaded on the Village lift to test the weight capacity and the brakes on the lift etc... its quite cool as when they go around at the top station the plug is pulled and they spend the return journey down again emptying. Other work involves managing pistes etc but also making sure the pisteurs fix avalanche barriers etc etc etc. Sometimes by chopper!!!

So after the kids were back at school and with final completion on the sale and purchase of a new flat for my mum (long story!) I headed back for a period of 'sorting' out... basically everything arrived at the flat and I spent my time moving and unpacking furniture etc and eating home delivery meals for a couple of weeks before heading back to Val... an exhausting and boring couple of weeks I have to say! However the flat is now sorted out - yippee!

Talking of houses we are nearly ready to submit our plans to the town council for consideration here in Val for our home improvement works we are seeking. Has been a long road but the architects have been amazing and it looks like we are now ready to submit... so lets really hope that over the next few months it can jump through all the hurdles and get the OK - we just then need to get the monies in place and find a builder and schedule it in - now that could take a long time - arghhhh!

Talking about Val again and in relation to this Winter - the resort have released their plans for the Winter... in a nutshell nothing on the slopes / as far as skiing is concerned will really change. Enclosed lifts face masks needed, more cleaning will happen and there will be some sort of social distancing in place... outside lights such as chair lifts etc will all be a full capacity! Apres ski will be nothing like it normally is though I doubt!!!!! Group ski lessons will run as normal with everyone wearing facemasks all the time etc. However the practicalities might be slightly more complicated than all this. Of course this is all aside to the issues of quarantine / Brexit / travel insurance / tour operators that have gone bust etc etc etc. To put it mildly this could be a difficult season.... Clare and I are bracing ourselves for some serious hardships ahead - I dont know really what we will do as there might not be any / much teaching work about at all and the problem is that there are not many other jobs around as everything is geared towards the ski industry! I suppose the main saving grace at the moment is that this part of France and certainly up here in the mountains is not affected really by Covid in terms of hardly any cases about at all! I have not heard of a 'local' case since about April time! Long may that continue!

So the weather has certainly changed in the last couple of days - it was about 25C only a week or so ago here in the mountains but yesterday morning we had a big snowstorm that came through and it was -9 here in town... we have had about 5-10cm of English wet snow - much of it has melted away of course and it will not last around here in town but the mountain tops should now keep their snow until the season starts! Talking of the start of the season it does look like Val will be getting a month of World Cup ski races - basically all of December! They are going to create a bubble whereby the athletes utilise the funicular and lap around on the OK Orange piste - there will be a couple of weeks of mens races and then the same for the ladies races.... hmmm thats the vague plan anyway! Im sure I will have more info on all that next month!

And the last thing that has been happening as I said above has been my little boys birthday - can't believe he is 3 now! Lots of celebrations and cake etc as well as the obligatory party yesterday - I'm still recovering! Ha ha!

So I think that is all for now! Ill be back in about a months time for the last non Winter monthly update for this year and then dailies again in November.

TTFN
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Steve Angus, thanks, as always an interesting update.

Only just turned 3 sounds young to start school, so hope that continues to go well.

At least good to learn hardly any Covid 19 cases recently in Val D’Isere. Fingers crossed for the upcoming ski season, maybe including the Pre Season Bash in December??
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Fingers crossed for the upcoming ski season, maybe including the Pre Season Bash in December??
On a practical basis, things need to change radically for UK visitors to get to France for a week or two of skiing.... Confused

At the minute we can't get there via GVA due to the need to quarantine for 14 days in Switzerland (Oo er, we have 3 flights booked to there Shocked )...then there's the need to do the same on returning from France... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, GVA is only one of the challenges in the meantime but i thought someone had posted in another thread that transitting through en route to France wouldn't incur the quarantine rule
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
toyah807 wrote:
@mountainaddict, GVA is only one of the challenges in the meantime but i thought someone had posted in another thread that transitting through en route to France wouldn't incur the quarantine rule

Correct, but obvs F and CH on the UK naughty list
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeakyB - thank you.

Yes it is quite amazing - 2 when he started school but he seems to have taken to it well!

Yes everything crossed for this season... to be honest as we are about 99.9% dependent on international tourism then its not looking good to be honest! Some more dependent on international arrivals than others but who knows! Yes I am hoping the PSB bash comes off - that would be a good start to the season all round!

mountainaddict - toyah807 - andy from embsay - yes its looking very bleak indeed! If there was reliable instantious (or nearly instantious) testing available at the airports that would help... heck id pay for someone to have a £50 test if it meant they came - ha ha!

Chin up folks!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy