Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refunds and cancellations - who have been the good guys?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
tony c wrote:
There has been a huge financial hit to the travel industry as a result of Covid-19.
Who should bear that cost ?
Insurance Companies ?
Credit card companies.
The Government has decided that it should be the Tour Operator or the Airline.
Many will go bust or cease trading as a result of this decision.
The government bailed out BA and Virgin but ski chalet companies get no help and see many years of work go down the pan.


Call me cynical but I'd say that Insurance companies are in the business of paying out for cancellations under unexpected circumstances. I'd warrant that they are a bit more profitable than your average tour op or chalet company too.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chaletcompanyconfidential, travel insurance policies are in the business of paying out to the individual where a change in that individual's circumstances render it necessary NOT generally where a supplier is unable/unwilling to provide a service it has contracted for. An airline that cancels your flight has an obligation to arrange an alternative not just say "tough claim on your insurance" Think about it - how many fly by night hit and run holiday companies would exist to take money then cancel without refund if there wasn't law here and insurers certainly wouldn't underwrite that system?

For the problem, conceptually, businesses should have had business interuption insurance (or as is likely the case self insured from their reserves).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@chaletcompanyconfidential, travel insurance policies are in the business of paying out to the individual where a change in that individual's circumstances render it necessary NOT generally where a supplier is unable/unwilling to provide a service it has contracted for. An airline that cancels your flight has an obligation to arrange an alternative not just say "tough claim on your insurance" Think about it - how many fly by night hit and run holiday companies would exist to take money then cancel without refund if there wasn't law here and insurers certainly wouldn't underwrite that system?

For the problem, conceptually, businesses should have had business interuption insurance (or as is likely the case self insured from their reserves).


We have a business interuption policy and a thoroughly comprehensive one; it didn't pay out. I am talking to around 30 ski holiday companies and not one has a policy that will pay out as a result of this pandemic. I even had a member of staff with Covid and we shut our office but the policy wouldn't pay out as it wasn't verified via a test....a test that we didn't have and couldn't have had access to in April. When we alerted the insurers it was agreed we had a valid claim then some months later they refused as it wasn't medically verified despite government advice to isolate and sit tight unless hospitalisation ensued.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Most insurance chaps I know are wideboys to some degree.
Basically bookies in better suits.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Score 1 more for Visa/Barclaycard.

TL;DR: my operator refused any kind of refund, credit note or similar, held onto my money and claimed "force majeure". I executed a chargeback which has been successful.

It took 8 weeks for Barclaycard to process it, then the operator has not responded in the 30 day timescale, and Barclaycard has notified me that the credit will now remain on my account. I also note that this operator has switched to using a Euro card processing facility implying to me that nobody in the UK is prepared to process card payments for it any longer. I'd suggest anyone booking for next year should check for this kind of warning signal.

(Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a completely ruthless b*****d when it comes to the troubles of the sector - the other operator I was booked with contacted me and we negotiated a settlement whereby I lost 20% as a "cancellation fee" but rolled the other 80% to next year, with a guarantee of this year's prices).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowfinders wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@chaletcompanyconfidential, travel insurance policies are in the business of paying out to the individual where a change in that individual's circumstances render it necessary NOT generally where a supplier is unable/unwilling to provide a service it has contracted for. An airline that cancels your flight has an obligation to arrange an alternative not just say "tough claim on your insurance" Think about it - how many fly by night hit and run holiday companies would exist to take money then cancel without refund if there wasn't law here and insurers certainly wouldn't underwrite that system?

For the problem, conceptually, businesses should have had business interuption insurance (or as is likely the case self insured from their reserves).


We have a business interuption policy and a thoroughly comprehensive one; it didn't pay out. I am talking to around 30 ski holiday companies and not one has a policy that will pay out as a result of this pandemic. I even had a member of staff with Covid and we shut our office but the policy wouldn't pay out as it wasn't verified via a test....a test that we didn't have and couldn't have had access to in April. When we alerted the insurers it was agreed we had a valid claim then some months later they refused as it wasn't medically verified despite government advice to isolate and sit tight unless hospitalisation ensued.


There are class actions going on with insurers around business interruption policies - possibly still too high a price of admission for small UK TOs to join with but not everyone is rolling over on them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, I don`t really understand the 'class actions' thing, I thought that was a USA idea? But surely if someone wins a case against insurers it sets precedent? However, is the point of a 'class action' that it gets settled before court, so anyone not party to it loses out?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Snowfinders wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@chaletcompanyconfidential, travel insurance policies are in the business of paying out to the individual where a change in that individual's circumstances render it necessary NOT generally where a supplier is unable/unwilling to provide a service it has contracted for. An airline that cancels your flight has an obligation to arrange an alternative not just say "tough claim on your insurance" Think about it - how many fly by night hit and run holiday companies would exist to take money then cancel without refund if there wasn't law here and insurers certainly wouldn't underwrite that system?

For the problem, conceptually, businesses should have had business interuption insurance (or as is likely the case self insured from their reserves).


We have a business interuption policy and a thoroughly comprehensive one; it didn't pay out. I am talking to around 30 ski holiday companies and not one has a policy that will pay out as a result of this pandemic. I even had a member of staff with Covid and we shut our office but the policy wouldn't pay out as it wasn't verified via a test....a test that we didn't have and couldn't have had access to in April. When we alerted the insurers it was agreed we had a valid claim then some months later they refused as it wasn't medically verified despite government advice to isolate and sit tight unless hospitalisation ensued.


There are class actions going on with insurers around business interruption policies - possibly still too high a price of admission for small UK TOs to join with but not everyone is rolling over on them.


We have challenged our insurers by way of a formal complaint. They wrote back saying that they were awaiting the outcome of a test case that was going through. They advised they would respond to me by 27 July at the very latest and and as that date has passed I have written to them to inform them that I shall now be instructing solicitors to further my cause. I have instructed solicitors to ascertain my chances and potential rewards.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CaravanSkier wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I don`t really understand the 'class actions' thing, I thought that was a USA idea? But surely if someone wins a case against insurers it sets precedent? However, is the point of a 'class action' that it gets settled before court, so anyone not party to it loses out?


No I believe that it merely allows a group of individuals to have a singular representation against a defendant. I'm not too sure though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's "group litigation" in the UK.

You'd probably be better acting as a group you're entering into an expensive process, for example.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:
It's "group litigation" in the UK.
.


Thank you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great news @snowdave

snowdave wrote:
Score 1 more for Visa/Barclaycard.

TL;DR: my operator refused any kind of refund, credit note or similar, held onto my money and claimed "force majeure". I executed a chargeback which has been successful.

It took 8 weeks for Barclaycard to process it, then the operator has not responded in the 30 day timescale, and Barclaycard has notified me that the credit will now remain on my account. I also note that this operator has switched to using a Euro card processing facility implying to me that nobody in the UK is prepared to process card payments for it any longer. I'd suggest anyone booking for next year should check for this kind of warning signal.

(Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not a completely ruthless b*****d when it comes to the troubles of the sector - the other operator I was booked with contacted me and we negotiated a settlement whereby I lost 20% as a "cancellation fee" but rolled the other 80% to next year, with a guarantee of this year's prices).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gone round in a bit of a circle with BA - we had a flight cancelled in May which it looked like at the time online we could only accept vouchers for so took the vouchers and used them to pay for flights this summer which were then also cancelled. As the summer flights were more and there was a mention of "call for a refund" on the website I called for a refund and got the extra back no hassle but the 1 of the 4 original flights has now been refunded as non-transferable vouchers valid for 12 months from date of original travel. The other 3 of the 4 original flight vouchers are lost in the processing ether apparently, hoping they'll turn up soon. Anyone had any joy getting money back from BA for voucher values? They were booked on credit cards so guess we could try the s75 route but not sure how that would work with the voucher side of things.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi guys,
New to Snowheads, Hope this message finds you all well.

Unfortunately I'm one of the many who got caught up at the beginning of Lockdown and had our ski holiday (14th March - 21st March) curtailed.

In a nutshell we're out of pocket for the unused / unavailable accomodation costs. Our insurance company (Globelink) is not covering us for curtailment and Ski Amis will not refund us. Ski Amis believe it's our insurances responsibility but obviously the two will not mediate between themselves to sort it out, leaving it up to us to try and rectify.

Separate thought... Why is the holiday industry not like the car industry when it comes to insurance. Why does the traveller have to mediate?

The good news:

Ski Amis refunded our unused ski hire and lift passes which we bought through Ski Amis as part of the ski deal (surely a package deal
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Step_Hen, its a package if the add ons were sold at the same time as the accommodation. If they were sold later then it's not a package
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agree @holidayloverxx

Sorry only first part of story posted.
Next bit below:

The not so good news & things we have discovered along the way so far:

1. Our claim doesn't fall under the Package Travel Regulations 2018 (PTR) umbrella because the accommodation and 'extras' were bought over 24hrs apart. And/Or the extras that were bought at the same time as the accommodation do not constitute 25% of the total package price. Hence this is an accomodation only booking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Step_Hen, bad luck on that - I had the same problem with the same provider.

Did you pay by credit card? If so, that might be the best option. I claimed (successfully) through that route.

Failing that, money claim online might be worth considering, but bear in mind that once you win, you then have to enforce judgement to actually get the money, and this can rack up some costs - it’s not always as cheap as it’s proponents like to make out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Step_Hen, Did you pay the costs by card, debit or credit? If so you can do a chargeback. If you paid any part of the costs over £100 on a credit card then all of the costs will be covered by the credit card. But I`m guessing you know that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowdave, You beat me to it!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CaravanSkier, Very Happy

Might have to be section 75 rather than chargeback tho as it’s over 120 days which Iirc is the time limit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowdave, Good point.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interestingly I've been talking to friends here this afternoon. They own a chalet which they ran for many years but rent to Neilson now on a 3 year contract. They were very quick to demand a refund for this year although contractually they weren't entitled to it.

Also they still had guests staying there alone for a couple of days after they'd shipped all their staff out Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi again,
Sorry my message was too big again and not all of it has been shown.

We haven't taken the section 75 route yet, what would the correct method be?
Should I first inform Ski Amis that we can't claim on our insurance in the hope they come good first?

Many thanks for all your help so far.
Step
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Step_Hen, from my own dealings with ski Amis, I wouldn’t bother trying to get them to do anything unless you’re trying to gather ammunition for a legal claim. However, you may need to show your bank that you’ve exhausted all options with the merchant, so if you don’t have that already (I.e. a clear “no we won’t refund anything” email) then you might need to go another round in the ring.

For a section 75 claim (only applicable if you paid at least something by credit card) you need to contact your card provider for the relevant forms. Moneysavingexpert has a lot of stuff on this process. Unfortunately it’s a lot harder than a chargeback claim as the bank has to swallow the cost. The upside is that it’s a legal obligation on the bank, and it has to conclude within 8 weeks or you can go to the ombudsman.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harris Holidays (Ski Weekends) has also failed. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi guys,
Seems I can put my full story down in one go if not using my mobile. So here goes, sorry for the repetition.

Thank you all for your help so far.Unfortunately we paid via bank transfer and so the Section 75 one is out of the equation after checks today. Looking like a legal ordeal now.

Unfortunately I'm one of the many who got caught up at the beginning of Lockdown and had our ski holiday (14th March - 21st March) curtailed.
In a nutshell we're out of pocket for the unused / unavailable accommodation costs. Our insurance company (Globelink) is not covering us for curtailment and Ski Amis will not refund us. Ski Amis believe it's our insurance's responsibility but obviously the two will not mediate between themselves to sort it out, leaving it up to us to try and rectify.

Separate thought... Why is the holiday industry not like the car industry when it comes to insurance. Why does the traveller have to mediate?

The good news:

Ski Amis refunded our unused ski hire and lift passes which we bought through Ski Amis as part of the ski deal (surely a package deal ???). All safely received.
 
The not so good news & things we have discovered along the way so far:

1. Our claim doesn't fall under the Package Travel Regulations 2018 (PTR) umbrella because the accommodation and 'extras' were bought over 24hrs apart. And/Or the extras that were bought at the same time as the accommodation do not constitute 25% of the total package price. Hence this is an accommodation only booking.
2. Our insurance would only cover curtailment if injury or events occurred to the individuals insured. Lockdown and/or closure of a resort is not personal and so our insurance is currently not covering us.
3. Ski Amis believe we left their accommodation through choice / under our own free will and so are not offering us our accommodation costs back.

The experience:

We arrived in La Tania on the evening of 14th March. We travelled by Ski Train. On transfer to the accommodation the staff informed us that Val T had already closed and the rest was up for discussion that night.On the morning of the 15th we were informed that the resort had completely closed. We never picked up hire equipment or liftpasses. Ski Amis advised us to organise travel home. Eurostar put on an emergency train service on the 16th which we boarded and returned home safely.(Please note Eurostar were amazing)Ski Amis sent their staff home on the 17th March and as such were unable to fulfil our ski holiday from the 17th March onwards.
Is anyone else in a similar position?

All help / guidance / ideas warmly received.
Cheers,Step.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Received my Ryanair refund for flight on 21st July cancelled. Very quick but had to call them to reject the voucher...on hold for an hour but easily sorted when i got through
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Step_Hen, Ski Amis's Terms and Conditions specifically state (from memory, clause 13, but I could be wrong) that in the event of Force Majeure preventing you from taking your holiday, you are due a full refund. Ski Amis has been clear with me that this was a Force Majeure event from its perspective (although used that to try and deny me a refund!).

Furthermore, it is possible, if your booking was similar to mine, that you were contractually obliged to buy a lift pass from Ski Amis in order to benefit from a discount. The timing of the payment for this could be of less relevance than the contractual obligation which, to me, makes it a package. Of course, you could be in the small proportion of people who pay full price for a Ski Amis holiday (like somebody probably pays full price for a DFS sofa...) which would render that moot.

My recollection is that the 25% cutoff to define a package was in the ?2015? regulations but not the 2018 ones - doesn't mean it won't also serve as guidance, but I don't think it is a hard cutoff any longer.

However, you may want to consider whether its worth progressing this, as depressing as that may seem. You can file a claim with Moneyclaimonline, but even if you win, you'll need to actually get the money back from Ski Amis. Bear in mind that a) this company went through administration and buyout last summer, so may not have much in the way of financial reserves, and b) doesn't seem to have a UK payment processor any longer (website tells you that payments will be taken in Euros). You would run the risk of devoting emotional and financial resources and "winning" but not getting your money back.

You could alternatively push for a large discount on a holiday next year, which might be an easier negotiation to have. However, were I doing that, I wouldn't want to make final payment until very late in the day, and I'd ensure I used a credit card for all payments.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Step_Hen wrote:
Hi guys,
Seems I can put my full story down in one go if not using my mobile. So here goes, sorry for the repetition.

Thank you all for your help so far.Unfortunately we paid via bank transfer and so the Section 75 one is out of the equation after checks today. Looking like a legal ordeal now.

Unfortunately I'm one of the many who got caught up at the beginning of Lockdown and had our ski holiday (14th March - 21st March) curtailed.
In a nutshell we're out of pocket for the unused / unavailable accommodation costs. Our insurance company (Globelink) is not covering us for curtailment and Ski Amis will not refund us. Ski Amis believe it's our insurance's responsibility but obviously the two will not mediate between themselves to sort it out, leaving it up to us to try and rectify.

Separate thought... Why is the holiday industry not like the car industry when it comes to insurance. Why does the traveller have to mediate?

The good news:

Ski Amis refunded our unused ski hire and lift passes which we bought through Ski Amis as part of the ski deal (surely a package deal ???). All safely received.
 
The not so good news & things we have discovered along the way so far:

1. Our claim doesn't fall under the Package Travel Regulations 2018 (PTR) umbrella because the accommodation and 'extras' were bought over 24hrs apart. And/Or the extras that were bought at the same time as the accommodation do not constitute 25% of the total package price. Hence this is an accommodation only booking.
2. Our insurance would only cover curtailment if injury or events occurred to the individuals insured. Lockdown and/or closure of a resort is not personal and so our insurance is currently not covering us.
3. Ski Amis believe we left their accommodation through choice / under our own free will and so are not offering us our accommodation costs back.

The experience:

We arrived in La Tania on the evening of 14th March. We travelled by Ski Train. On transfer to the accommodation the staff informed us that Val T had already closed and the rest was up for discussion that night.On the morning of the 15th we were informed that the resort had completely closed. We never picked up hire equipment or liftpasses. Ski Amis advised us to organise travel home. Eurostar put on an emergency train service on the 16th which we boarded and returned home safely.(Please note Eurostar were amazing)Ski Amis sent their staff home on the 17th March and as such were unable to fulfil our ski holiday from the 17th March onwards.
Is anyone else in a similar position?

All help / guidance / ideas warmly received.
Cheers,Step.


I think if this isn't covered under PTRs then it's down to the contract that you have with Ski Amis. I would read that carefully. I would also revisit your insurance policy wording to make sure you aren't being hoodwinked. We have assisted numerous clients of ours that were unsuccessful at first with their insurance to then go on to receive their claims.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi again guys,
Thank you so much for your help and patience once again.

@snowdave
I'm so confused about what constitutes a PTR.
We had a 15% approx. discount on our accommodation deal which only remained valid if lift passes and ski hire were booked through Ski Amis for the group.

Ski Amis's T&C's at time of booking were as follows (italic):

Discounts

The above prices are discounted and only applicable as part of a package where ski passes are also booked with us in advance – minimum of 6 day ski passes must be added at the time of booking or shortly afterwards. Our lift passes are exactly the same price as in resort so it won’t cost you a penny extra and your lift pass will be ready and waiting when you arrive. You can also book your passes now – and pay for them later – it’s all part of our in-resort service

Travel

The prices quoted above are for the catered chalet accommodation only but we can offer you competitive prices on the travel services you may need as well. Our in-house fully licenced minibus transfers from the airport are door-to-door from just £95 per person return – there are various service options available depending on your group size and flight arrangements. We can also offer very competitive prices for channel crossings if you would rather self-drive – with preferential flexible ticket terms on the ferry services.

Extras and Optional Upgrades

Tourist tax of £10.50 per week per adult over 18 years of age will be added to every booking – this is a charge made by the French Government for all visitors to the country.
Ski passes, equipment rental and lessons, if required – we offer a full pre-booking service for all of these services at competitive price. All booked in advance to save you hassle on your arrival day!
All our chalets are licenced premises so there’s a cash minibar for your use 24/7 and we also offer a pre-ordered list of wine and craft beer upgrade packs to make your holiday that bit more special


Of the above we booked lift passes, ski hire through them, paid the resort tax and also a transfer service from and to Moutier Station.

However, after chatting with citizens advice and trading standards (recently) it appears the 24hr rule and/or 25% rule takes precedence.
As you suggest, I'm still not convinced this should be the case.
I'm going to try seeking advice from cCA again now.

I feel we bought a Package Travel deal form Ski Amis and I would like to return to this discussion with Ski Amis as long as I have the correct understanding to do so.

It's not easy is it.

Ski Amis current online T&C's can be found below.
https://www.skiamis.com/info/terms-and-conditions.htm

Force Majeure - Section 14

PTR's - Section B (17 onwards)

Lets see what CA say with a little more clarity from me regarding.

Many thanks,
Step.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got my refund from Swiss Airlines through this morning, which was a month before they said they were even going to start the process of issuing refunds.
It may or may not have had something to do the credit card chargeback I initiated 2 or 3 weeks ago...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Step_Hen, Ski Amis told me that section B was only for packages, but that's not what section B actually says. It only restricts it to bookings as principal, rather than via agents, and goes on to say it "also" includes packages, implying that non-package bookigns must be included. Clause 20 was the one I was thinking of (the second FM clause).

I don't think it matters what advice you get from third parties (my group contained 2 lawyers, and we sent Ski Amis clear CMA guidance that said a refund was required) - in my experience SA has no interest in refunding or negotiating and probably can't afford to do so anyway. My situation was even simpler than yours (holiday was weeks away, SA clearly cancelled and emailed me to say that, and refused a refund) but despite not having a legal leg to stand on, SA refused to do anything.

The PTR explicitly includes ski passes as an example of an "other" service that makes it a package.
"Examples of other tourist services given by PTD 2015 (Recital (1Cool) include admission to concerts, sports events, excursions or event parks, guided tours, ski passes and rental of sports equipment such as skiing equipment, or spa treatments."
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowdave wrote:
@Step_Hen, Ski Amis's Terms and Conditions specifically state (from memory, clause 13, but I could be wrong) that in the event of Force Majeure preventing you from taking your holiday, you are due a full refund. Ski Amis has been clear with me that this was a Force Majeure event from its perspective (although used that to try and deny me a refund!).

Have the T&Cs changed since March? Clause 14 is the Force Majeure clause, and it explicitly states that in such circumstances NO compensation is payable. (Although arguably @Step_Hen doesn't want compensation, just a refund for accommodation and food that wasn't provided).

Clause 20 is only for cancellation before departure.

But clause 13 does covers unresolved complaints being taken to an arbitrator. This appears to be only if Ski Amis feel it is appropriate, but I wonder if that sub-clause would hold up under the Unfair Contract Terms legislation?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ecureuil wrote:
... Clause 14 is the Force Majeure clause, and it explicitly states that in such circumstances NO compensation is payable. (Although arguably @Step_Hen doesn't want compensation, just a refund for accommodation and food that wasn't provided). ...
Well they can put stuff in their small print which won't actually hold up in court. Just because their lawyers write something doesn't mean it's a fair clause.
Force Majeure covers what happens when the contract can't be fulfilled. They can't just apologise and walk away with all the cash, even if their lawyers wrote down that they would try.

I think they'd have to argue about how much of your money they can keep to cover the costs they did take, but there's no way I
could imagine them legally (for example) taking all of it, which would mean they would make profits from a service they didn't provide.

I'd certainly not pay them any more money for next season, that's chucking good after bad. The CAB sounds like the right approach, and some negotiation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
philwig wrote:
... I think they'd have to argue about how much of your money they can keep to cover the costs they did take, but there's no way I
could imagine them legally (for example) taking all of it, which would mean they would make profits from a service they didn't provide....

But they will probably have incurred all of their costs. People had arrived in the resort, so I would hope they had secured the accommodation for the full week. They will have bought all the food. They will have contracted staff for that week - and probably had to pay them, even if they were laid off at the end of it.

About the only costs they might have "saved" from people going home mid-week is electricity for the remainder of the week, and perhaps a small amount of food that can be stored until next season.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks again for all your help.
The Ski Amis staff were actually laid off on the 17th March, (during our holiday period).

It also appears Ski Amis are hiding behind the claim that we're not eligible for a refund because we left their holiday through choice...

We caught the emergency ski train home on the 16th March they 'closed' on the 17th.

Honestly, it's my feeling that no-one should give this company anymore money. I don't thing they fall in to the good guy camp.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Regarding the distinction between "refund" and "compensation", it was quite clear in Sunweb's T&C's to which we signed up that "compensation" referred to sums payable by them in addition to a refund of monies paid. It was also clear that, whilst "compensation" was not payable under the circumstances, a full refund definitely was, and that was what we were claiming.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ecureuil wrote:
... But they will probably have incurred all of their costs. ...
Ah, so they paid for the people they laid off, did they? I doubt it. They also will have taken all their profits from a contract they failed to deliver.
That isn't somehow made legal because they decide that they are in more difficult financial circumstances than their staff and customers.

Lots of businesses - "the good guys" - have done the right thing and deserve support because of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@philwig,
Couldn't agree more Phil, well said. It is not OK for a company to hide behind legalese and force customers to spend effort and time working to regain funds that they are owed.

I for one, when the time is right for us to book our next ski holiday, would love to see a list curated of "the good guys" that have been discovered. That'll be a #1 booking tool for us and I'll relish supporting good companies.
latest report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy