Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comparing the Alps and North America-with a twist

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

@boarder2020 & @Dave of the Marmottes, concur. Lots of blacks over here are steep bump runs that would kill somebody who was expecting a groomer. That's why I prefer the Euro way...a black piste is groomed, a black ski route, naturide etc. is not, and this is understood (by those who ski in the Alps).

In Europe a black piste may or may not be groomed. In France, where I usually go, a black may be bashed once or twice a season. Always assume it will not be bashed.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah, I have to also disagree that European blacks are groomed, at least in France. I would always expect any black run to be ungroomed/mogulled.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....are you with me Dr Wu ?.......
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gvj, bingo. (Such a beautiful, sad song).

As for French black runs, I stand corrected. I just looked at the 3V and Val d'Isere maps and there aren't many of them so my sample size was small. As an aside, I recall some of the reds being steep enough to be blacks elsewhere. I do think Austria is as I stated. Black groomers are fun.
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But even unpisted a black in Europe is not really comparable to a double black in n America (assuming there is no red in n America so Europe black should be compared to a double black). N American double black while also unpisted is likely to offer far more hazards and generally be more difficult ime. For example of what double black terrain is in n America https://m.facebook.com/QuickdrawPublications/photos/ive-got-a-number-of-of-whistler-posters-gemstone-bowls-spankys-ladder-on-blackco/1175277689215181/

(Yes that is the area at Whistler the video this season of a snowboarder stuck perilously on a cliff was taken, which is not going to happen on your average euro black).
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scooter in Seattle,
Quote:

@gvj, bingo. (Such a beautiful, sad song).

I reckon you could easily write a novel just using Becker and Fagen quotes
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle wrote:

As for the safety bar, Canada is like Europe, but in the NW states it is seldom used except with kids. Even elsewhere in the US usage is far from universal

https://www.anneapplebaum.com/2020/03/15/the-coronavirus-called-americas-bluff/

From chairlifts to Corona (no this is not about Ischgl Toofy Grin )
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scooter in Seattle wrote:

As for the safety bar, Canada is like Europe, but in the NW states it is seldom used except with kids. Even elsewhere in the US usage is far from universal

https://www.anneapplebaum.com/2020/03/15/the-coronavirus-called-americas-bluff/

From chairlifts to Corona (no this is not about Ischgl Toofy Grin )
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My NA experience very limited. Two trips to Banff to visit the girl with Mrs d. She has lived there coming on two yrs now. The vibe and attitude is very much Scotland on steroids. Laid back, welcoming, friendly, chatty, locals that know their hill with a ‘ski good to look good’ vibe. Combined with bigger hills and drier snow. And lots and lots of prime steak.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes it sounds like there are lots of parallels with Scotland. More of a lifestyle thing than just a holiday.
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy