Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are ski drills a waste of time?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
WindOfChange wrote:
Quote:
thread drift

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

I think this is a rather obsessive blokey thing.

Just obsessive, not necessarily blokey. wink

True - but IME Blokes are generally more obsessive about their passions and hobbies than the Fairer Sex, who usually take a more rational approach....just browse the various hobby forums.
Randomly, I'm guessing that most quilters are members of "the Fairer Sex" (wha-a-at?!) - take a look at this, obsessive doesn't even begin to cover it: https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/
[Sorry, thread drift]

You make a good point (with evidence).....but I still think, on balance, I'm Right!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WindOfChange wrote:
Quote:
thread drift

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing Laughing It was entirely unintentional!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve written down salient notes from the lessons that I’ve had. I use drills a lot on my first day of each holiday to speed up getting back to the level that I was at 10 months ago when I last skied. I’m of the mind-set where I’m always looking for improvement. I understand that for many skiers that isn’t their goal. I have been given drills to do that haven’t worked. In one case every student didn’t get the drill and the instructor soon found another which did work. You’ve got to try them all in order to find out which ones work for you and which ones do not. Obviously yo only use the ones that do...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There people who just enjoy learning. Then there're people who just enjoy doing, however badly. The whole population of course, span the whole spectrum between those extremes.

For those who enjoy learning, drills are THE JOY of skiing (or swimming, or tennis, whatever!). Movements are somewhat non-intuitive, perfect setup for lots of drills and plenty of revelation that comes with it.

But a lot more people aren't like that. They just want to be in the mountains. They cruise around looking at scenery, or hunting for the next bar/restaurants. They may take a lesson when the visibility is poor and nothing to see. Or just fill the time till Apres. But otherwise are happy enough not to do boring drills.

Granted, even for people who don't find drills "enjoyable", if they get instant benefits (that "Aha!" moment), they maybe more receptive to more drills.

For the "born learners", drills are anything but "waste of time". But for the "doers", yes. For the rest of us in between? It's a waste of time unless it's clearly helpful at the time and can be taken to regular skiing.

This is not to be confused to the professionals who NEED to be at their best in doing what they do. They get paid for doing it, lest not forget.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great discussion.

@valais2 interesting you talk about the time involved and repetition involved in learning. I've heard comparisons about blocks of learning (ie how we do ski lessons on holiday) vs more spread out sessions over a period of, say, weeks. The blocks of sessions tend to get you good quickly, but the learning isn't as permenent. The more spread out sessions tend to impart more in-grained learning. I'd be interested to know if there's any research on that?

I guess if there is, then that demonstrates the power of using local dry or indoor slopes.

Of course there will be other factors at play too (motivation to learn, enjoyment, quality of instructuon/practice etc...)

D
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy