Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski boots - cold toes!

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi just bought a pair of rossignol all track 100 2019 boots but almost had toe frost bite on the first outing. Usual socks worn. Not had this issue before with rental boots. Have bought in local shop in resort so will head back but grateful for any tips or advice.
Thermal moulded liners - feel fine, no pinching or pain.
Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can I take it that the temperatures weren't really cold?

Were your hands cold?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope just toes - rest of me was actually quite warm. Hands etc fine.
Usually have no problem with cold extremities.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rookiescot, may be a little narrow across mid foot which is obstructing blood circulation to the toes.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ozboy wrote:
@Rookiescot, may be a little narrow across mid foot which is obstructing blood circulation to the toes.

I agree - it either has to do with blood flow, or the type of insulation used in the the boot......You'd think you'd be aware of the former - but maybe not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rookiescot, silly question, is the shell closed fully over the lower foot (in the past I have had a small gap letting in icy air)? Easily fixed with gaffa tape in the short term or some self adhesive thin foam longer term.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rookiescot, potentially doing them up to tight. The bottom two buckles you should be able to close with one finger. If it takes more effort to close it could make it tight and restrict blood flow causing the cold.

If you have had hire boots before the fit probably wasn't as snug.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
@Rookiescot, potentially doing them up to tight. The bottom two buckles you should be able to close with one finger. If it takes more effort to close it could make it tight and restrict blood flow causing the cold.

If you have had hire boots before the fit probably wasn't as snug.

....and little finger, at that ie. just enough tension to hold the bottom buckles closed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
Layne wrote:
@Rookiescot, potentially doing them up to tight. The bottom two buckles you should be able to close with one finger. If it takes more effort to close it could make it tight and restrict blood flow causing the cold.

If you have had hire boots before the fit probably wasn't as snug.

....and little finger, at that ie. just enough tension to hold the bottom buckles closed.


+1

If the rest of your body is warm it does potentially suggest restricted blood flow to your toes. Those bottom buckles are simply to keep the boot closed and watertight, they arn't meant to be cranked down tight crushing the top of your foot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wardy89 wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Layne wrote:
@Rookiescot, potentially doing them up to tight. The bottom two buckles you should be able to close with one finger. If it takes more effort to close it could make it tight and restrict blood flow causing the cold.

If you have had hire boots before the fit probably wasn't as snug.

....and little finger, at that ie. just enough tension to hold the bottom buckles closed.


+1

If the rest of your body is warm it does potentially suggest restricted blood flow to your toes. Those bottom buckles are simply to keep the boot closed and watertight, they arn't meant to be cranked down tight crushing the top of your foot.


But sure the shop/person that sold new boots had all this explained to the OP?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mooney058 wrote:
But sure the shop/person that sold new boots had all this explained to the OP?


unfortunately it not always a given, i have seen plenty of shops that have "boot fitters" doing boots up wrong and not teaching first time buyers how to correctly do there boots up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all - will try this and not do boot up too tight this morning. Seller was good and had explained this but maybe I still got it wrong!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the same boots but a few years old. I have a high instep and have to keep the foot buckles pretty loose, I.e. 2nd notch on mid foot and first notch on forefoot. But they are plenty warm, and I tend to get cold feet. Hope they work out as I’ve been very pleased with them.

Also don’t forget that you can twist the buckles for micro adjustments.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the great tips. Loosened the foot buckles a tad - twisting the buckles was inspired! Cozy toes all day!
Delighted that the boots are fine after all - thanks again guys.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rookiescot wrote:
Thanks for the great tips. Loosened the foot buckles a tad - twisting the buckles was inspired! Cozy toes all day!
Delighted that the boots are fine after all - thanks again guys.


good to hear it helped!
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Rookiescot, with pleasure! I find them very comfortable and easy to put on, take off.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure that it's quite a relief that the problem was so easily sorted.

Big difference between Hire Boots and properly fitted Boots.
ski holidays



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy