Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Alps in electric car

Poster: A snowHead
snowdave wrote:
We have level 2 autonomy on our car (i.e. It steers and controls speed but driver needs to be attentive) which makes a huge difference in long journeys. In normal motorway driving I probably only have to intervene once every 5-10 minutes. It makes me a much better driver by freeing me up to concentrate on the bigger decisions and looking further ahead. I wouldn't buy a car without it now.

I bought a new car a year ago and got the same technology - long motorway driving is much less stressful and tiring. I'm sure it's a great safety benefit and, like you, wouldn't want to be without it now.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ousekjarr, the idea of retro fitting guide-kerbs to every road, and kerb guide technology to cars is just not going to happen.

Far too expensive.

The thing about saving lives is that lives really do have an economic value when these things are decided.

We may not like the idea (every life is priceless etc) but there is a value calculation, and it gets used.

Unless a LOT of people go off into ditches etc...not enough value in A. developing the technology, B. Mandating the technology and C. Fitting it.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahh I come on here to escape work and this whole thread is basically my day job Laughing
Which is i suppose a good thing because it shows that people are interested. Still a lot of work to be done to convince some of you, but nice to see a few on the fence. We’re still pretty early in the adoption curve but I genuinely wouldn’t go back to a diesel car now. I’m getting to test a few EVs now so that when I extol the virtues I can’t just be accused of driving a £65k car. Having driven the new Renault Zoe and the Vauxhall corsa-e in the last couple of weeks I think they’re great cars too. However I wouldn’t want to drive either of them to the alps (or their diesel equivalent).
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lozza1uk, wait till you get your hands on a Kona or Niro Happy
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:
Wasting hours standing around in a grim carpark recharging a glorified toy car while everyone gets bored is not a vacation.
Take an airplane.

Trying to feed the trolls or genuinely prehistoric?
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Driving to Alpe d'Huez in a Tesla in April. v interesting thread and will post here after.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If a PHEV does 30 miles before using fossil fuel, and then uses it at ten mpg more. Say 30 mpg instead of 40mpg.

Aren't you winning on any trip less than 120 miles? Which is a lot more than most round commutes.

We're thinking of one, once it can get us up the ski hill on a charge. As that is the max range for 90% of our driving. 1000m up and 20k along. Not sure any of the hybrids will do that currently?
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you regularly plug it in and most of your journeys are less than 30 miles, or in stop start traffic then yes, it’ll do the job.
What’s happened in the UK is the company car tax advantage of a PHEV is significant so lots of people are taking a BMW 330e for example instead of the diesel one, doing motorway driving, retuning the car with the charging cable still in its wrapper 3 years later and wondering why they’ve spent a fortune on fuel.
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ozboy wrote:
Out of curiosity does anyone drive down to the Alps on a Tesla - wondering availability of fast chargers along the route and if any queuing required?

Thinking of going electric for next car but wondering about practicalities for driving to Chatel in a day without having to overnight or make a very long stop. Also considering a plug-in hybrid as a good compromise - electric around london and petrol/diesel when driving to Alps.

Bored in the fledgling storm so popped out to Tesla Model 3 to see what it had to say about getting to the Alps and how many charging stops would be needed.

Model 3 replied: “Starting at 16:22 from darkest Hampshire and taking the Eurotunnel with all the necessary charging stops and you will arrive into Tignes at 07:26 tomorrow morning“

My mate’s out there now, the weather is rubbish here, I’m sorely tempted...

snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So 15 hours - did you go?? Toofy Grin

Slight thread drift - with the M3 do you still stick to the Tesla SuC network - or do you venture onto thrid party chargers (curious Model S owner)?
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grinning, thanks for that, interesting. Observations (NOT criticisms):

2h40m of stops for charging. Not v. much different to our typical drive

I wouldn’t chose to spend 25 mins stationary between home/tunnel (100 mile journey, do that in one hit).

I wouldn’t chose to stop as close to the tunnel as Baie de Somme (want 2 hours plus under my belt)

Routing via Paris not ideal.

If you could combine a charge with overnight stop (we don’t always do it in one hit) it would be fine. Likewise get a charge at Eurotunnel whilst waiting for boarding. Does ET have charge points, can’t say I’ve noticed.

Need to find a charge at destination.

How often do you need to queue to get a charge (typically 5 mins max for filthy petrol/diesel)?

Around 30 mins for a charge every 2.5 hours would probably be OK.

We’re thinking electric for my wife’s small car for round and about, we could instal a charge point on our drive and use our free solar. Not yet convinced as a replacement for our bigger car used for long journeys.

Thoughts anyone?
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Duplicate deleted

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 16-02-20 23:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuartrose wrote:
So 15 hours - did you go?? Toofy Grin

Slight thread drift - with the M3 do you still stick to the Tesla SuC network - or do you venture onto thrid party chargers (curious Model S owner)?

1) I’m going Thursday ;o)

2) Almost all my charging is done at home with Wall charger. I use Tesla Superchargers only when I travel out of home range as I get free Super-charging including across mainland Europe. Fleet Northbound works very well for M3 travels.

“Other routes are available” which omit Paris and I would never route through Paris from Calais, however pretty unavoidable from Le Havre/Caen.

At this destination free sloooow-charging available in Val Claret’s underground Golf car park and public fast-charge point available in Val, next door to Tignes.
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I drove to the birthday bash in an M3 using autopilot most of the way. It really was effortless compared to previous drives and I wasn’t half as tired as I have been on previous trips. The journey was actually pleasurable.
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't there perhaps another way of looking at this? I'm imaging a conversation in 18th Century with people arguing about taking a canal boat vs a train. People suggesting the country could be covered with railway lines between towns being laughed at, given the immense cost of leveling the tracks, the need to re-provision the 1st gen of locomotives every 20 miles etc. etc. No idea that the steam railway was going to completely change the travel equation.

In my grandparents day, everyone but the very poorest sent bulky luggage on ahead. It was collected from their door, taken to the station, put on a train as freight, transported to their destination and was there when they arrived. Perhaps in the future, there will be a standard, domestic container unit that you just fill up with stuff and it follows the same model, at a reasonable delivery cost.

Perhaps we won't use the next generations of electric transport the same way we use petrol/diesel cars? Remember just how subsidised tarmac roads are: if we put the same subsidy into alternatives and charged for roads at a true economic rate, they'd probably be uncompetitive for longer distances.

Taking your personal vehicle from your UK home to your Alpine destination for a week's holiday will probably look like a bizarre idea in 50 years time, perhaps less. So the question won't be 'Can I drive my personal electric car from Surrey to The Alps as easily as its petrol equivalent?' It'll be 'Why would I take a personal car from Surrey to The Alps at all, given the alternatives?' or even 'What's a personal car? Why would I buy something that I can hire as and when I need it?'
latest report     
LaForet wrote:
Isn't there perhaps another way of looking at this? I'm imaging a conversation in 18th Century with people arguing about taking a canal boat vs a train. People suggesting the country could be covered with railway lines between towns being laughed at, given the immense cost of leveling the tracks, the need to re-provision the 1st gen of locomotives every 20 miles etc. etc. No idea that the steam railway was going to completely change the travel equation.

The railways seem to me to have been built fairly quickly.

Quote:

In my grandparents day, everyone but the very poorest sent bulky luggage on ahead. It was collected from their door, taken to the station, put on a train as freight, transported to their destination and was there when they arrived. Perhaps in the future, there will be a standard, domestic container unit that you just fill up with stuff and it follows the same model, at a reasonable delivery cost.

I suggested that on page 1, along with the idea that short-range electric vehicles could be designed around the container.
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy