Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@MontyP, are you happy with the boots/service from S&R?

If not, splash the cash - you're worth it Smile Laughing snowHead
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll wrote:
@holidayloverxx, indeed it was a while ago. I think I was seen by SmallZooKeeper (I know it wasn't CEM), but could have been CH20. It was a production line!

SZK is CH20 now
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MontyP wrote:
Any recommendations on where to get boots fitted in SW London / Surrey? My two previous pairs have come from Snow+Rock (High St Ken and Chertsey), just wondering if it's worth trying somewhere else this time? I don't want to take out the second mortgage that going to Profeet in Fulham would require ....


well, you either want a recommendation or something cheap. Profeet all the way.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
MontyP wrote:
Any recommendations on where to get boots fitted in SW London / Surrey? My two previous pairs have come from Snow+Rock (High St Ken and Chertsey), just wondering if it's worth trying somewhere else this time? I don't want to take out the second mortgage that going to Profeet in Fulham would require ....


well, you either want a recommendation or something cheap. Profeet all the way.


Fair point Very Happy
I was kind of hoping for something in between S&R and Profeet - all in at Profeet I’d be looking at north of £700 i think (it’s £169 just for the fitting, plus boots, liners and footbeds) which is beyond my budget ....

My last pair of Technicas (from S&R) have lasted 10 years doing around 10 days per year without a problem. Previous pair were not so good though.
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[qoute]My advice, as someone who lives in NI, is to get your boots fitted in Tignes.

I used JoJo in Tignes Lac....but there is talk of him having retired.

I believe there are other good options, Jean-Charles (Ski Fast), also on Rue de La Poste. If you do a search on here, you will see recommendations.

Generally, with good Bootfitters, you need to make an appointment - and with JoJo, that really needs to be done in person (preferably on the day you arrive for near the start of your holiday). This allows tweaks during the week, if necessary.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3425004[/quote]


There is a fitter from Portadown who does occasional clinics in Aaron Caddell's Travel Counsellor office on the Lisburn Rd (he used to work in Climate and poss MacSki before that, but I can't remember his name). I messaged him recently to check that he's still doing it and he is, but mainly from home. He doesn't sell boots though, so only any good for making adjustments to your existing boots.

https://www.facebook.com/skiserviceni/

I also used Jojo in Tignes for some adjustments over the last 2 years at the PSB, and if he hasn't retired I'd suggest you go to him - he's reputed to be grumpy, but I got on fine with him, poss because he asked quite early on where I'm from![/quote]

Would it be Paddy Dougan or maybe Des McCarley(who used to be one of the owners of MacSki & Climate)? I thought Paddy only did ski tech stuff, but I know Des was a good fitter.

Thanks,
CW Happy
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cardweg wrote:

Would it be Paddy Dougan or maybe Des McCarley(who used to be one of the owners of MacSki & Climate)? I thought Paddy only did ski tech stuff, but I know Des was a good fitter.


Over the years, I've dealt with Paddy (when he was at Hobsons) and Des and John.....but as things stand, I'd still get boots fitted in Tignes. The expertise in Bootfitting will not match the best that can be found in Tignes (unless you go to the mainland).

If the boots need adjustments, that can happen during the week's skiing. Having to get to the mainland if issues arise, is not ideal.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Old Fartbag wrote:


Over the years, I've dealt with Paddy (when he was at Hobsons) and Des and John.....but as things stand, I'd still get boots fitted in Tignes. The expertise in Bootfitting will not match the best that can be found in Tignes (unless you go to the mainland).

If the boots need adjustments, that can happen during the week's skiing. Having to get to the mainland if issues arise, is not ideal.[/quote]

Silly question, but can you go to a ski shop in resort just for a fitting of a boot you already have?
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cardweg wrote:

Silly question, but can you go to a ski shop in resort just for a fitting of a boot you already have?

If your boots are more than 13 or 14 years old, you are safer getting new boots, rather than spending money on boots where the plastic is becoming brittle.

If your boots are too big, it's hard to make them smaller.

At the very least, you would need a new Liner - which is overkill in a boot that has little life left.

I left boots too long before changing, because they were comfortable. I was lucky not to be be injured when one of them fell apart.

My advice - Get new boots and get them in Tignes.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MontyP wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
MontyP wrote:
Any recommendations on where to get boots fitted in SW London / Surrey? My two previous pairs have come from Snow+Rock (High St Ken and Chertsey), just wondering if it's worth trying somewhere else this time? I don't want to take out the second mortgage that going to Profeet in Fulham would require ....


well, you either want a recommendation or something cheap. Profeet all the way.


Fair point Very Happy
I was kind of hoping for something in between S&R and Profeet - all in at Profeet I’d be looking at north of £700 i think (it’s £169 just for the fitting, plus boots, liners and footbeds) which is beyond my budget ....

My last pair of Technicas (from S&R) have lasted 10 years doing around 10 days per year without a problem. Previous pair were not so good though.


Never paid anything like that at profeet.. maybe 495 or 550 but i take your point extra for liners?
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
cardweg wrote:

Silly question, but can you go to a ski shop in resort just for a fitting of a boot you already have?

If your boots are more than 13 or 14 years old, you are safer getting new boots, rather than spending money on boots where the plastic is becoming brittle.

If your boots are too big, it's hard to make them smaller.

At the very least, you would need a new Liner - which is overkill in a boot that has little life left.

I left boots too long before changing, because they were comfortable. I was lucky not to be be injured when one of them fell apart.

My advice - Get new boots and get them in Tignes.



I agree. My boots are too old for any new spend, but they're very comfortable. What I meant is if I bought boots before I went away, would resort fitters work on them, or do you have to buy the boots from them before they work on them?
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Never paid anything like that at profeet.. maybe 495 or 550 but i take your point extra for liners?

Yeah, I was thinking ~£500 - I paid a little less at S4F last year.

You can get off the shelf boots for half that price. But I did with my previous boots but I still ended up blowing ~£170 at S4F on a new footbed and corrections.

A good way of thinking about it is the cost per day of skiing. You can reasonably expect to get 250 days out of your boots. So a £500 pair is £2 a day. As opposed to off the shelf which is £1 a day. But the benefit... is subjective...
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cardweg wrote:



I agree. My boots are too old for any new spend, but they're very comfortable. What I meant is if I bought boots before I went away, would resort fitters work on them, or do you have to buy the boots from them before they work on them?

Part of a Bootfitters job is to get the right boot for your size, build, ability and foot shape. If that is not optimised here in NI, anything done later will be a compromise.

When I went to JoJo, there was no fitting charge....so any charge after you buy boots in NI, will only add to the cost. Most good Bootfitters give a fit guarantee - which of course doesn't apply if they didn't fit the boots in the first place.

Bootfitters will probably work on boots they didn't fit - but that is not the way round to do it.


Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 14-11-19 23:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
cardweg wrote:



I agree. My boots are too old for any new spend, but they're very comfortable. What I meant is if I bought boots before I went away, would resort fitters work on them, or do you have to buy the boots from them before they work on them?

Part of a Bootfitters job is to get the right boot your your size, build, ability and foot shape. If that is not optimised here in NI, anything done later will be a compromise.

When I went to JoJo, there was no fitting charge....so any charge after you buy boots in NI, will only add to the cost. Most good Bootfitters give a fit guarantee - which of course doesn't apply if they didn't fit the boots in the first place.

Bootfitters will probably work on boots they didn't fit - but that is not the way round to do it.


OK, got it. Thanks Smile
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Never paid anything like that at profeet.. maybe 495 or 550 but i take your point extra for liners?

Yeah, I was thinking ~£500 - I paid a little less at S4F last year.

You can get off the shelf boots for half that price. But I did with my previous boots but I still ended up blowing ~£170 at S4F on a new footbed and corrections.

A good way of thinking about it is the cost per day of skiing. You can reasonably expect to get 250 days out of your boots. So a £500 pair is £2 a day. As opposed to off the shelf which is £1 a day. But the benefit... is subjective...


I know it's a long term investment but it's stumping up the cash that's the problem. But if I can get away with <£500 at Profeet then probably worth it!
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MontyP wrote:
I know it's a long term investment but it's stumping up the cash that's the problem.

Totally appreciate that, it's a chunky amount.
snow conditions     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
cardweg wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
cardweg wrote:



I agree. My boots are too old for any new spend, but they're very comfortable. What I meant is if I bought boots before I went away, would resort fitters work on them, or do you have to buy the boots from them before they work on them?

Part of a Bootfitters job is to get the right boot your your size, build, ability and foot shape. If that is not optimised here in NI, anything done later will be a compromise.

When I went to JoJo, there was no fitting charge....so any charge after you buy boots in NI, will only add to the cost. Most good Bootfitters give a fit guarantee - which of course doesn't apply if they didn't fit the boots in the first place.

Bootfitters will probably work on boots they didn't fit - but that is not the way round to do it.


OK, got it. Thanks Smile


So, to close this off, I happened to be in Dublin last week with some time to kill & ended up in Snow & Rock in Dundrum.
Long story short, after about 3 hours including the best part of an hour with the chairman of the Ski Club of Ireland I came out with a shiny new pair of boots, moulded and foot bedded to suit. They're half a size smaller than the ones I've been skiing in but I'm convinced they'e a good buy. I was happy with the deal too, so time to adjust my bindings and then just wait until Tignes to try them out. Fingers crossed Madeye-Smiley
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cardweg wrote:


So, to close this off, I happened to be in Dublin last week with some time to kill & ended up in Snow & Rock in Dundrum.
Long story short, after about 3 hours including the best part of an hour with the chairman of the Ski Club of Ireland I came out with a shiny new pair of boots, moulded and foot bedded to suit. They're half a size smaller than the ones I've been skiing in but I'm convinced they'e a good buy. I was happy with the deal too, so time to adjust my bindings and then just wait until Tignes to try them out. Fingers crossed Madeye-Smiley

Sounds like they did a good job - though there are no half sizes in ski boots, so you are either in the same size, or a full size smaller.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok, I was just going by the mondopoint size labels. Old boots 28.0, new boots 27.0/27.5.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In some models (though not that many now days) the half size could just be a slightly different liner thickness. But as you say, with modern thermo liners they are usually identical.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cardweg wrote:
Ok, I was just going by the mondopoint size labels. Old boots 28.0, new boots 27.0/27.5.

That is one size smaller - The half size labelling is misleading.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa wrote:
In some models (though not that many now days) the half size could just be a slightly different liner thickness. But as you say, with modern thermo liners they are usually identical.


never liner thickness, only ever the insole or a shim under it, liners are all hand stitched they cannot get the tolerances close enough to do a half size
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just popped into Snowheads as I sit on my own awaiting a pub lunch in Bicester, I'm told that is the place of the shrine of UK boot fitting. And this afternoon I'm lined up for a miracle. I have no idea what it's going to cost me. This is a surprise Christmas present
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, it's no miracle and it will cost you. But it is a shrine of sorts and will provide you with might seem the miracle of pain free skiing for many a year.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just an update on my trip to Bicester...
It didn't cost me a penny to find out my feet are just impossible to fit in a regular pair of boots. Sad

The good CEM had a look at my feet and with a sharp intake of breath proceeded to try a pair of boots on me.
He explained to me that I really have to have a custom pair made and suggested I visit a place just north of Oxford. I've not had a chance to follow up on that one yet.

I'm going to try and get some new feet Blush
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shocked Amputation seems sensible, possibly cheaper than custom boots.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jumping in this topic, does anybody recommend a bootfitter with a good range near Staffordshire? I know there’s Ellis Brigham in Tamworth, anywhere else?
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MissBambi wrote:
Jumping in this topic, does anybody recommend a bootfitter with a good range near Staffordshire? I know there’s Ellis Brigham in Tamworth, anywhere else?

Solutions 4 feet in Bicester.

Worth the trip.
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Layne, great thank you, I will check it out Very Happy
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote here for Bicester. I've always had problematic fit for ski boots, and tried Ellis Brigham custom fit and a local retailer who offered the same service. But Solutions 4 Feet made the difference, a totally different fitting experience and although everyone always says 'it will cost you' etc etc they actually fit the best boot for your foot, not based on preferred colour, price etc. So it doesn't always 'cost', turned out the best boot for me was from last year's range and he knocked a decent % off, so it came in way more affordable than I thought.
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys. Anywhere else? Ideally would prefer not to have a 4 1/2 hour round trip, but I will if I have to.

Also, why is there so much beef about having a particular colour preference?! Are we not allowed to look for a good fitting boot in a colour that we like? Seems to be a real bee in the bonnet about it on forums and boot fitting sites Laughing

And yes, I did pick my car by colour wink
latest report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@MissBambi, if you're at the north end of staffordshire you could try Rivington Alpine - but that might be as far in the other direction. I had my boots done there and I'm taking Mrs NBT this weekend
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nbt, brilliant thank you, that’s around a 3 hour round trip so could definitely work Very Happy
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MissBambi wrote:
Also, why is there so much beef about having a particular colour preference?! Are we not allowed to look for a good fitting boot in a colour that we like?

It's all about the fit. There will only be a limited number of boots that are ideal. Basically the fitter will and/or should disregard any aesthetic reasons for choosing a boot for you.

Sure if you end up with two or three equally good options go on the colour but practical considerations should overwhelmingly come first.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MissBambi wrote:
Thanks guys. Anywhere else? Ideally would prefer not to have a 4 1/2 hour round trip, but I will if I have to.

Also, why is there so much beef about having a particular colour


You could try Lockwoods in Leamington Spa.

..Nick
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@big_ben, great, thanks Nick
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, haha I know. Only messing really. I see the fit is most important, but I still won’t be going around in some that I don’t like and paying £300-£500 for the privilege Laughing

It just amused me, how much of a chip on the shoulder there seems to be about it.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MissBambi, lol. Not sure what there is to like or dislike about ski boots - you can hardly see them when in use. I sometimes don't recognise my own in a pile and am hard pressed at the moment to remember whether they are predominantly white or grey
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm thinking of buying my first pair of boots, and am wondering whether to do this in London(Ski Bartlett), or find a bootfitter in resort, as I'll be going to Tignes in late March. Quick search suggests that Nevada sports in Tignes Le Lac is one of the best, but would be somewhat inconvenient as I'm staying in Val Claret, and some have suggested that Jojo has retired. Was also concerned whether the selection would be very limited so late in the season, and if there would be any price difference between resorts and London. Could anyone advise?
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had great boot fitting service from Bartletts, go with them, maybe wait until after the half term period.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tycheleto, welcome to Snowheads. It's a toss-up - I used Nevada Sports in Tignes when I was in Val Claret and as you say it was a little awkward but not overly so, I simply skiied down to the shop at the end of the day and got the bus back for evening meal after a couple of hours in the shop - albeit that was back in 2007. I was impressed by the service and ended up in boots 1.5 mondo points smaller than those I was wearing when I went in.

I got new boots 2 seasons ago at a fitter local to me (Rivington Alpine) where even more care was applied, the measurements they took of my feet were much more detailed and they dropped me a full mondo size again. I've been fairly lucky in that once fitted I've found my boots very comfortable (I don't even unclip at lunch), but others need little adjustments. If you have access to a dry slope or snowdome where you can try boots then I'd very much suggest using a reputable fitter in the UK
snow conditions     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy