Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belle Plagne, New Year family trip, childcare, free nursery slopes, check-in times etc

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are a family of five who are going to Belle Plagne (BP) during the New Year week. We are going to stay in Residence Callisto (which I have heard is part of "Les Constellations"). Has anyone stayed here and can advise how far it is from the learner slope? Will complete beginners be able to ski to the learner slope from here?

Check-in officially starts at 5pm but I was wondering if anyone has managed to check in earlier than this?

Are there any beginners slopes in Belle Plagne or the rest of La Plagne that don't require a lift pass?

We have booked ski hire from a shop in Bellecote (as this was considerably cheaper than renting the skis in BP) and have heard there is a free gondola that runs to and from Bellecote from BP. Is it correct that you don't need a lift pass for this?

If so, we will leave the car in BP and use the gondola to collect and return the skis. We all have lift passes that are valid for six days but we would like this to start on the Sunday. We are driving from the UK and are planning to arrive in BP early on Sat morning (after an overnight stop near Lyon), pick up the skis in Bellecote and use the nursery slope in BP that day if it is free (as my kids are complete beginners), before they start ski school the following day. On the way back, we are planning to ski on the last Sat as I have heard Saturdays are quiet days, and then drive back to Calais with an overnight stop en route. We are planning to stock up on groceries in a hypermarket in Alberville en route to BP and come back to the apartment for lunch most days.

I am also looking for childcare for our 4 year old for six half days. I have heard about the ESF Piou Piou Club but was wondering if the children there are outdoors the whole time? I'm worried my four year old would become too tired and cold if he was outdoors learning to ski every morning and afternoon. I would prefer him to be outdoors learning to ski in either the mornings or afternoons and indoors the other period, if that makes sense.

Thanks
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This map shows the lay out of the village and ESF meeting points (is that who your lessons are with?)

https://www.esf-belleplagne.co.uk/public/files/plans/rassemblement+original.jpg

I think Callisto is a Pierre & Vacances Résidence, in which case you probably won't get access before the standard check in time.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne wrote:
This map shows the lay out of the village and ESF meeting points (is that who your lessons are with?)

https://www.esf-belleplagne.co.uk/public/files/plans/rassemblement+original.jpg

I think Callisto is a Pierre & Vacances Résidence, in which case you probably won't get access before the standard check in time.


Thank you, this is a very useful map.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You would need the Roche de Mio bubble to go down to Bellecotte and back. It's free for foot passengers and operates until after midnight.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You would need to check the ESF in BP but in our village Piou Piou Club is the mornings in Jardin de Neige. When cold they pop into a little hut halfway through for a snack and sit down. Afternoons you can book them into Les Loupiots which is in a school, for lunch, playing, rest etc and they arrange the transport between the two. We didn't bother with the latter as we collected them at lunchtime and then did family activities in the afternoon, but I see that you have 2 older ones who may well want to ski with you in the afternoons to show off what they have done. You can always double team it with one if you being with the 4 year old while the other skis in the afternoon and swap the next afternoon.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have a Paradiski ski pass you get the afternoon the day before for free, otherwise you would have to pay.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Motherofthree, you are a glutton for punishment snowHead
Your kids might ski to learner slope if already had go at Dry Slope or Fridge.
There are free lifts: see https://www.laplagnet.com/ski-area/beginners
The gondola between Bellecote and Belle Plagne is free for pedestrians - i think they have their own queue line.
No knowledge of actually using Piou Piou club, but from seeing the kids in the 1800 one, not many seem to be very happy.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
You would need the Roche de Mio bubble to go down to Bellecotte and back. It's free for foot passengers and operates until after midnight.


Thank you, that’s what I thought.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheesie168 wrote:
You would need to check the ESF in BP but in our village Piou Piou Club is the mornings in Jardin de Neige. When cold they pop into a little hut halfway through for a snack and sit down. Afternoons you can book them into Les Loupiots which is in a school, for lunch, playing, rest etc and they arrange the transport between the two. We didn't bother with the latter as we collected them at lunchtime and then did family activities in the afternoon, but I see that you have 2 older ones who may well want to ski with you in the afternoons to show off what they have done. You can always double team it with one if you being with the 4 year old while the other skis in the afternoon and swap the next afternoon.


Thanks for your reply. How can I book my four year old into Les Loupiots in Belle Plagne? This sounds like a good option as it’s indoors.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:
Motherofthree, you are a glutton for punishment snowHead
Your kids might ski to learner slope if already had go at Dry Slope or Fridge.
There are free lifts: see https://www.laplagnet.com/ski-area/beginners
The gondola between Bellecote and Belle Plagne is free for pedestrians - i think they have their own queue line.
No knowledge of actually using Piou Piou club, but from seeing the kids in the 1800 one, not many seem to be very happy.


Thanks for your reply. That’s a shame that the children in Piou Piou in Plagne 1800 didn’t look happy, I wonder why! Unless I come across another ski school/childcare facility for a four year old in Belle Plagne, I will have to book my son into ESF Piou Piou.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
If you have a Paradiski ski pass you get the afternoon the day before for free, otherwise you would have to pay.


We just have a standard La Plagne lift pass for six days. I presume we won’t be able to use this for a seventh day if we wanted to ski on the last Saturday?
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Motherofthree wrote:
Layne wrote:
If you have a Paradiski ski pass you get the afternoon the day before for free, otherwise you would have to pay.


We just have a standard La Plagne lift pass for six days. I presume we won’t be able to use this for a seventh day if we wanted to ski on the last Saturday?

You can get an a Saturday ticket for 38 Euros via https://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/bons-plans but it's a single rate - no reduction for kids so you may want to extend your pass on arrival at the lift pass office. They will extend from 6 to 7 day and just charge the difference. We use the link above because our kids are older and it gives us flexibility.
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the tip, however €180 for one day of skiing for the five of us is a bit much I think! Perhaps we can instead spend the last Saturday going to the swimming pool and/or ice skating or doing other non-skiing activities.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Motherofthree wrote:
Thanks for the tip, however €180 for one day of skiing for the five of us is a bit much I think! Perhaps we can instead spend the last Saturday going to the swimming pool and/or ice skating or doing other non-skiing activities.

Personally I don't look at it that way.

#1 All the costs of getting to and from the Alps are done and fixed. Let's say 700 per person. My 6 day lift pass is 271 so total cost 971 - so I am paying ~162 per day of skiing. If the trip stays the same but I buy a 7 day lift pass at 316 my cost per day of skiing drops to ~145.

#2 Saturday is change over day, one of the quietest on the sllopes.

#3 Think of the cost per hour in a snow dome. You are there with the mountain next to you and no reason why you can't use it, other than 40 bucks!
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can definitely see your point!
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Disappointing lack of really good family lift pass deals I think in big areas in France. I assume you’re taking advantage of the modest discounts on the Pack Famille? Even so, these liftcos should really up their game IMO.


I’ll be trying to find time for a ski clothing clear out this week. When I do I’ll be posting stuff for sale on SnowHeads. Mostly adult sizes but some teenage. Mostly used, good condition. Some brand new with labels still on. I seem to have quite a few unused gloves, more than I’ll ever need.

Let me know if you’re looking for any gear. It will all be very good value.

Hope the holiday planning continues to go well.

Sad to report we had a miserable experience with resort crèche in Plagne Centre but that was over a decade ago. Hopelessly understaffed, overwhelmed very young and inexperienced staff. Hopefully they’ve improved and your 4 year old will enjoy their half days with mostly French, very spirited, youngsters.

snowHead
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for your advice. Regarding childcare, where do most English children gather would you say? (If most of the ESF groups consist of French children). Unfortunately my children don’t speak French yet.

We have already bought the lift passes as part of a package deal with We Ski (accommodation plus lift pass).

We have also already bought all of the skiing gear for all of us. Bought most of it in Decathlon, they offer good value for money. The only thing that I still need is a ski jacket size S for me if you happen to be selling one of those? Thanks
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry I don't have S size female jacket. Wouldn't worry too much about language in childcare. The adults and some of the kids will speak English anyway.
I've pasted below a section from sno.co.uk website. It was Petits Bonnet we had unsatisfactory experience with. The others might be fine and that one may have improved by now!
You could ask about any recent experiences with specific ones on here?


Childcare in La Plagne, France
La Plagne day and evening care plus snow ski schools and babysitting.
With eight different daycare facilities La Plagne once again leads the world. The largest, and accepting children from the youngest age of three months, is the municipal crèche Petits Bonnets at Plagne Centre. Here children are welcome up to age 3. There is however also a Garderie, 'Marie-Christine' or children aged 2 to 6. At Aime la Plagne the garderie 'La Maison des lutins' accepts children from age two-and-a-half, whilst the garderie 'Jardin de Neige'at Plagne Bellecôte will take children from 2 to 6 years. In Belle Plagne the garderie will accept children aged eighteen months to three years, at Champagny 'les Cabris garderie take children from age two to six. In Montchavin - Les Coches the busy Club des Enfants (Pirouette) accepts children from 9 months and offers an unusually good 'Carte marmot' package which allows you to use 6 timed 'modules' of child-care during your week and also includes six free entries to the ice rink! Finally in Plagne Montalbert the garderie 'Les Bambins' welcomes children aged from 18 months to 6 years, On the slopes there are 'snow gardens' for the children at all the villages and free lift passes are offered to children until they are age six, more generous than most French resorts. For older kids several of the ski schools have special 'teenager' group courses for children aged 13 to 15 or 17. They operate mostly in the Christmas and Easter holidays as well as all through February and concentrate on adventure skiing in the powder, steeps or on moguls as well as in improving technique so that the various official ability tests can be taken and passed.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Motherofthree wrote:
Thanks for your advice. Regarding childcare, where do most English children gather would you say? (If most of the ESF groups consist of French children). Unfortunately my children don’t speak French yet.

We have already bought the lift passes as part of a package deal with We Ski (accommodation plus lift pass).

We have also already bought all of the skiing gear for all of us. Bought most of it in Decathlon, they offer good value for money. The only thing that I still need is a ski jacket size S for me if you happen to be selling one of those? Thanks


Have you tried Aldi? There ski gear is very good value and actually lasts really well.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
Motherofthree wrote:
Thanks for your advice. Regarding childcare, where do most English children gather would you say? (If most of the ESF groups consist of French children). Unfortunately my children don’t speak French yet.

We have already bought the lift passes as part of a package deal with We Ski (accommodation plus lift pass).

We have also already bought all of the skiing gear for all of us. Bought most of it in Decathlon, they offer good value for money. The only thing that I still need is a ski jacket size S for me if you happen to be selling one of those? Thanks


Have you tried Aldi? There ski gear is very good value and actually lasts really well.


Yes, we did buy some socks and goggles in Aldi actually Smile
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
Sorry I don't have S size female jacket. Wouldn't worry too much about language in childcare. The adults and some of the kids will speak English anyway.
I've pasted below a section from sno.co.uk website. It was Petits Bonnet we had unsatisfactory experience with. The others might be fine and that one may have improved by now!
You could ask about any recent experiences with specific ones on here?


Childcare in La Plagne, France
La Plagne day and evening care plus snow ski schools and babysitting.
With eight different daycare facilities La Plagne once again leads the world. The largest, and accepting children from the youngest age of three months, is the municipal crèche Petits Bonnets at Plagne Centre. Here children are welcome up to age 3. There is however also a Garderie, 'Marie-Christine' or children aged 2 to 6. At Aime la Plagne the garderie 'La Maison des lutins' accepts children from age two-and-a-half, whilst the garderie 'Jardin de Neige'at Plagne Bellecôte will take children from 2 to 6 years. In Belle Plagne the garderie will accept children aged eighteen months to three years, at Champagny 'les Cabris garderie take children from age two to six. In Montchavin - Les Coches the busy Club des Enfants (Pirouette) accepts children from 9 months and offers an unusually good 'Carte marmot' package which allows you to use 6 timed 'modules' of child-care during your week and also includes six free entries to the ice rink! Finally in Plagne Montalbert the garderie 'Les Bambins' welcomes children aged from 18 months to 6 years, On the slopes there are 'snow gardens' for the children at all the villages and free lift passes are offered to children until they are age six, more generous than most French resorts. For older kids several of the ski schools have special 'teenager' group courses for children aged 13 to 15 or 17. They operate mostly in the Christmas and Easter holidays as well as all through February and concentrate on adventure skiing in the powder, steeps or on moguls as well as in improving technique so that the various official ability tests can be taken and passed.


Thanks for your reply, I will look into the different childcare options in Belle Plagne.
latest report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy