Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba Hotels

Poster: A snowHead
HeidiAmsterdam, When you do the Marmalada circuit from Arabba, you don't have to do any drag lifts (unless you miss the sign...). I think if you do miss the sign, you end up in the village (Malga Ciapela), so no, I don't think you need a drag or rope tow to get back.

I've not stayed there (so can't answer your first enquiry), but I have been around the Marmolada in both 2012 (warm, not much now) and 2013 (cold, tons of snow). The difference in this valley was marked. Malga Ciapela is roughly the same altitude as the other nearby towns, but I think it has a sunnier aspect. Certainly other places like La Villa, Corvara and San Cassiano were fine on the Sella Ronda side of the valley in 2012 (pistes in generally good nick, snow outside of pistes but not very deep), but pretty bare on the opposite side where they get the sun. Some pistes were closed on the sunny side. Malga Ciapela was a thin white strip of slush surrounded by green fields.

In a good snow year like this year, Malga Ciapela was liberally covered, but if the snow is not as good or the weather ia warm, then it will be a white strip through the trees again.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet

Right. So then have a plan, then a back up plan. Bad snow year, cancel hotel in January and go crash on the lounge floor of my friend in St. Anton...dragging my two kids with me. Husband would obviously have to stay home then... as he doesn't really ski anyways and we know sparse sleeping room in the lounge is a skiers only area.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
Alastair Pink,

So, is the WWI tour better down clockwise or anti-clockwise? like less buses vs. more skiing?

Well I've not personally done the entire circuit, but going anticlockwise you only have 2 busses (Malga Ciapela-Alleghe and Pescul-Fedare) whilst if you went clockwise in addition to those 2 busses in the opposite direction you would also need to take (and pay 6 Euros p.p for) the taxi shuttle service from Armentarola to Passo Falzarego/Lagazoi. No taxi is required in the anticlockwise direction as from Lagazoi you ski down the Hidden Valley to Armentarola. So my preference would be for the anticlockwise direction, although it may be about half an hour longer than the clockwise direction due to the greater amount of total piste skiing and less road transport mileage.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fabulous Alastair Pink! Helpful info...

I'm thinking a WW1 circuit day, a Civetta day to break it up a bit, hope for a lot of snow so the Marmolada is lovely, and we should be satisfied. Then with more funds in 2015, back to Arabba in the style which we become accustomed, unless we discover that Malga Ciapela is actually a well kept secret.

The Amsterdam ski club stays at this hotel every year, so the location can't be all that bad... didn't even know there WAS an Amsterdam ski club until I started googling info on the hotel...

hmmmmmm I wonder if it's personal that I've never been invited??? being local and all... or perhaps my yankee accent in Dutch?
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HeidiAmsterdam, maybe I mis-read. From Marmolada to either Malga Ciapella or Arabba, you don't need that drag. Arabba you have to choose the correct direction. I think you can go either side for Malga Ciapella (not certain). Everyone ignores the big sign and goes the Malga Ciapella / Marmolada side Wink

At least one sH on the birthday bash did the entire WW1 loop. In reality, anyone that has done Arabba-Marmolada and done Arabba-Cinque Torri-Lagazuoi has done almost the entire thing, just not on one day. For me it sounds like far too much effort and buses to get in 2 more runs and 2 more buses. From Malga Ciapella it would be easy to to that bit.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From Marmolada, you can just ski to the chair, and avoid the drags... if the piste map is correctly drawn, which one should always bring into question. Shock

But also, the return from Arabba back to Malga Ciapella at the end of the day, I'm going to be grumpy with tired legs sitting atop a black mogul field... would rather being doing a flat black or cruise a red.

The morning bit I deal with by making sure I'm full of cappucino Laughing and happily buzzing on caffeine.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HeidiAmsterdam,

From Malga Ciapela, ignoring the buses, you have 2 ways out. One is up the Marmolada cable cars (3 of them one after the other, but you can opt out of the 3rd if I remember correctly). Then you ski down - lovely to be the first ones up and down I think. As you get back into the valley you'll be ahead of the crowds still so you could try for a second round or more likely want to head off to the sella ronda as you say. Come down the valley a bit and then you have choices - either catch the chair next to Capanna Bill which will take you up to the Passo Padon from where you will head across to join the Sella Ronda, or you can continue down towards Malga C again.

The other way, as you say, is to take 2 rope tows and then get on the chair next to Capanna Bill.

If it was me, I'd always do the first one for a bit of skiing to warm up Smile

Ignore the piste maps that show a small chair going back up towards Marmolada from Passo Fedaia, as I have never seen it running.

If you wanted to ski the Sella Ronda, then I think the timing is not much different between the two from the point of leaving the hotel - although it may depend on things like how long the cable car waits between runs at the start of the day when there are not many people there. I suppose it would be about 20 mins from the bottom of the first ski tow to get to Passo Padon (5+5+10), then you have a couple of minutes skiing, a slowish chair and a small run to be above Arabba. At that stage you decide which way you go, so just over 30 mins to be on the Sella Ronda like andy says.

On the way back from the Sella Ronda, I'd say you want to be in Arabba by 16:00. Then you have a short ride up the first stage of the Gondola (DMC) from Arabba, a slow chair lift across towards Passo Padon, a short ski and another slow chair up to Passo Padon. Once you are there, you are fine to ski all the way to Malga Ciapela and can stop at any Rifugio on the way for a last drink. The skiing down from Passo Padon to Malga Ciapela is not challenging but by the end of the day the run between Pass Fedaia and Capanna Bill has had a lot of people on it and will be chopped up. But it should not be busy.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As HeidiAmsterdam, has revived an old thread I hope you guys can help me too. I'm looking at taking a group to chalet Karin in Arabba, has anyone been to this chalet (or heard about it)? How much noise is there from the bar and how late?

Thank you
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to the bar, the music is quite loud and the bar is probably Arabba's busiest. We went on a trip with some people who were staying at Karin and they said they didn't mind it too much. I don't think it's loud all night though, Arabba is great, but it isn't party central.

From talking to the reps about it they said that the chalet/apartments are owned by a lady and leased to Inghams (she also owns Brigitta and the one upstairs from Brigitta). The bar is owned and run by this lady's son. If it gets too rowdy and there are complaints from guests apparently Mum pulls rank and gets the volume turned down for following nights. As I say this is only what I've been told, sounds a good story even if it's not right!
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WW1 tour. http://www.dolomiti.org/ita/Cortina/laga5torri/inverno/2479_Grande_Guerra_B.pdf

I did it in the day, just about, but wouldn't do it again, it's not worth faffing about with the bus just to ski through Alleghe.

With regards to Hotels in Arabba, we have again booked single rooms at the Sporthotel in Arabba for next year with no supplement, actually works out about the same as the Portavescovo when you have paid the required single supplement there. But the Sport is in a completely different league to the PV, not that the PV is a poor hotel, it isn't.
snow report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For anyone thinking of doing the WW1 tour discussed in the previous posts, it's worthwhile mentioning that a new multimedia centre dedicated to the history of the WW1 fighting in the area has just opened in the village of Sottoguda. (Sottoguda is the first village you reach when taking the (free) bus from Malga Ciapela to Alleghe). Admission to the multimedia centre is free. Madeye-Smiley

Roll on the sHs 10th Birthday bash! snowHead
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This thread has been quiet so apologies if this is a hijack...

I am strongly considering a visit to Arabba this Xmas with my family of 5 and I am looking for recommendations for accommodations.

We are not super price sensitive and Id really like to find someplace special. A few notes:
1- if the village has enough restaurants, I would prefer not to be half board as I think the kids enjoy trying different places.
2- open to anything from hotels to apartments, as long as they can comfortably accommodate us in adjoining rooms, or a suite or whatever
3- ideally walking distance to the lifts - the kids are teenagers so doesnt have to be right next to the lifts as long as the lift is reasonable
4- atmosphere of the place is a PLUS as it would be nice to have a european different experience from our usual US ski trips
5- Someplace with a good hot tub, especially if its outdoors, is great!

Thanks for suggestions.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a look at Garni Laura, it only provides Breakfast, but has a hot tub and is a (very) short walk to nearest lift.

Most Restaurants in Arabba are attached to Hotels, but the all welcome non-residents.

Arabba itself is quite small, with a quiet nightlife (except bar Peter!)

----- edit ----

Do a search of the forum -- there is loads of info on Arabba, it being a SnowHeads favourite snowHead

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3148656&highlight=laura#3148656

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 19-06-19 21:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seeing as someone has thread mined this I may as well ask a kind of related question.
What is the going rate (I understand it will be a range) for halfboard in Italy/Austria for a middle of the road hotel? We’ve stayed at the Portavescovo and absolutely loved it. Would this be considered an average as far as food/amenities/cost are concerned?
latest report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One quiet week, just before Christmas a couple of years ago, Mrs PeakyB and I stayed in the Garni Laura and had dinner in the Hotel Portavescovo each evening.

We thought we’d died and gone to heaven.

snowHead
snow report     
@sbooker, "...Would this be considered an average as far as food/amenities/cost are concerned? …"

I would say you are correct

@PeakyB, I've never stayed at the Laura, mentioned it purely based on your earlier thread snowHead
snow conditions     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy