Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Club of Great Britain chat forum

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Rosey44 wrote:
Quote:

never seen them come up in my online ski searches


Not sure what you're searching for, but I've just googled 'Snow Reports' and 'Ski News' and in both searches the Ski Club was the second result. Not paid, but organic search.


I wouldn't normally google anything so generic - I might have googled 'snow report/weather for x resort' once years ago, but once I have obtained a source years ago I would generally stick to it. I'll generally google specific questions such as "snow conditions for Belle Plagne in April" for example. To which ski club don't appear. Now, to be clear, I'm not saying they should do. I'm just saying they are not on my radar, in anything ski related that I do, so I'm never going to know what they do or whether they are relevant to me.
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gerry wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:
@Gerry like @Hurtle I've got no interest in the Ski Club, but if I had then your contributions here would certainly put me off joining. I'm telling you this just for information, I don't expect you to change as you seem incapable of accepting feedback.


I would never judge any large group of people (25,000 in the case of the Ski Club) on the basis of one individual from that group. If you do then that’s a problem your have.


Bit of a naive thing to say.


I'm not so naive as to imagine people don't think like that, it's just I don't personally do that. For example, I don't think that every bloke who drives X make of car is a wanker, nor do I think that all Dutch people think like Stanton. People who do think like that are the very people I don't want to know.


And that's good, unfortunately a lot of people do and a lot of time (like you) they don't think they do. Not in an obvious way like you've stated. But if someone has one bad experience of something, sometimes that will put them off doing it again. Even if it would have turned out that it was just a one-off. If you've never done that, then I applaud that.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LaForet wrote:
'I really love the Rep/Leader idea and elevate to god-like position those who perform this role.'

All the reps I've come across have been of a type: failed public schoolboys with a plummy accent and ingrained sense of entitlement whose pitch is along the lines of 'of course, anyone discerning would want to be a member, yah?' and a total inability to justify the cost/benefit of membership. I rejected joining when I was 35 and in the intervening 30 years, whenever I've revisited SCGB, I have seen nothing to change this. If anything, the market has moved on and I see even less benefits for the cost of membership in the Internet age.

And if you can't make a succinct case after 132 pages of posting, then I'd say the odds are that the proposition is no longer convincing.


When I did the Reps course there was a cross section of society. When I joined in 1989 after skiing with a rep, the rep in question was just an ordinary and friendly bloke. What is a 'failed public schoolboy' anyway? How did you find out where they were all educated? The more some of you blame the Club for your not wanting to join and further explain your reasoning which seems to be some antiquated form of inverted snobbery in your case, the more I think that I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Valkyrie wrote:
@Gerry like @Hurtle I've got no interest in the Ski Club, but if I had then your contributions here would certainly put me off joining. I'm telling you this just for information, I don't expect you to change as you seem incapable of accepting feedback.


I would never judge any large group of people (25,000 in the case of the Ski Club) on the basis of one individual from that group. If you do then that’s a problem your have.


Bit of a naive thing to say.


I'm not so naive as to imagine people don't think like that, it's just I don't personally do that. For example, I don't think that every bloke who drives X make of car is a wanker, nor do I think that all Dutch people think like Stanton. People who do think like that are the very people I don't want to know.


And that's good, unfortunately a lot of people do and a lot of time (like you) they don't think they do. Not in an obvious way like you've stated. But if someone has one bad experience of something, sometimes that will put them off doing it again. Even if it would have turned out that it was just a one-off. If you've never done that, then I applaud that.


Like me? Give an example. There are loads of snowHeads, in my experience, some of them are wankers, most of them are not.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LaForet,
Quote:

All the reps I've come across have been of a type: failed public schoolboys with a plummy accent and ingrained sense of entitlement whose pitch is along the lines of 'of course, anyone discerning would want to be a member, yah?' and a total inability to justify the cost/benefit of membership.

That is a really stupid generalisation, apart from being completely untrue.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gerry,
Quote:

When I did the Reps course there was a cross section of society. When I joined in 1989 after skiing with a rep, the rep in question was just an ordinary and friendly bloke. What is a 'failed public schoolboy' anyway? How did you find out where they were all educated? The more some of you blame the Club for your not wanting to join and further explain your reasoning which seems to be some antiquated form of inverted snobbery in your case, the more I think that I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway.

For once I totally agree with you.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gerry, I think you've summed it up nicely. How do you know they are w*nkers? You've based it on a limited amount of interactions you've had with them. They might actually be very nice people, but all you can do is base your opinion on the knowledge and evidence that you have to hand at the time. I'm not saying that's bad - it's just human nature.

Hence you can't really have a go at Valkyrie if he's based his opinion on the only information he has to hand at that time.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Handy Turnip wrote:
@Gerry, I think you've summed it up nicely. How do you know they are w*nkers? You've based it on a limited amount of interactions you've had with them. They might actually be very nice people, but all you can do is base your opinion on the knowledge and evidence that you have to hand at the time. I'm not saying that's bad - it's just human nature.

Hence you can't really have a go at Valkyrie if he's based his opinion on the only information he has to hand at that time.


I'm not judging a larger group of people to which they belong solely on my experience of them.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You're right - you're not judging a group of people based on your experiences with 0.004% of the population. You're judging people based on a small amount of interactions with them (say 0.004% of their total interactions with people). Essentially the same.

Unless anyone can show they've run a t-test to demonstrate that their findings are robust to a 95% confidence interval, then it's all based on assumptions however way you want to cut it.

Anyway, no doubt this conversation could bounce backwards and forwards to no end, which isn't particulary productive for anyone.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Handy Turnip wrote:
You're right - you're not judging a group of people based on your experiences with 0.004% of the population. You're judging people based on a small amount of interactions with them (say 0.004% of their total interactions with people). Essentially the same.



Not the same at all. Negatively judging an individual based no the rubbish they spout isn't the same as negatively judging a large group (ethnic, religious, race etc) based solely on the actions of one member.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Effectively it is, unless you’ve got a large enough sample of interactions that is robust enough to prove statistically that the interactions you’ve had are indeed representative of their true character. And to be fair you might have, I don’t know.
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See, my comment was a test. To see what the reactions would be. Of course any individual experience isn't generic. The response I was looking for was along the lines of

"LaForet - I'm sorry that your experience with SCGB wasn't a good one, but it was a while ago and I'd like to think that in the intervening time we've diversified and expanded our Rep profile to be more professional and diverse. And while in your particular case, our offerings don't necessarily look attractive, they certainly do for many other members. So all I'd ask is that people reading the forum go to our website and look objectively at what's on offer. For some, I daresay it won't be a good match, but for others it will. And there's nothing like actual experience: if after a season as a member it's still not for you, then you can leave, or perhaps work with us to change what needs to be changed ..."

What I got was

'inverted snobbery',
'I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway'
'really stupid'
and so on.

If these comments are from members, then it perhaps explains why the SCGB doesn't have the best of public profiles and really doesn't go very far to persuade me that I'm wrong or that I should take another look. If they are from representatives of the Club then they are unprofessional and counterproductive.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
See, my comment was a test. To see what the reactions would be. Of course any individual experience isn't generic. The response I was looking for was along the lines of

"LaForet - I'm sorry that your experience with SCGB wasn't a good one, but it was a while ago and I'd like to think that in the intervening time we've diversified and expanded our Rep profile to be more professional and diverse. And while in your particular case, our offerings don't necessarily look attractive, they certainly do for many other members. So all I'd ask is that people reading the forum go to our website and look objectively at what's on offer. For some, I daresay it won't be a good match, but for others it will. And there's nothing like actual experience: if after a season as a member it's still not for you, then you can leave, or perhaps work with us to change what needs to be changed ..."

What I got was

'inverted snobbery',
'I personally wouldn't want to have you in anyway'
'really stupid'
and so on.

If these comments are from members, then it perhaps explains why the SCGB doesn't have the best of public profiles and really doesn't go very far to persuade me that I'm wrong or that I should take another look. If they are from representatives of the Club then they are unprofessional and counterproductive.


If you spout a load of outdated inverted snobbery then right thinking people are going to judge you negatively. Yet you expect to get your arse licked and that's a bit entitled of you, imo. But to be clear, had you gone directly to the Club with your original statement then the response would have been along the lines of the one you drafted. The staff are paid and trained to deal with idiots like the one you simulated.
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, are we supposed to congratulate you on a successful troll, or what? (I'm not a member of the Ski Club, btw, although I was for some years. )
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gerry,
Quote:

If you spout a load of outdated inverted snobbery then right thinking people are going to judge you negatively. Yet you expect to get your back bottom licked and that's a bit entitled of you, imo. But to be clear, had you gone directly to the Club with your original statement then the response would have been along the lines of the one you drafted. The staff are paid and trained to deal with idiots like the one you simulated.
That's another good response. Are you feeling OK? Shocked
snow conditions     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Rosey44 wrote:
Quote:

never seen them come up in my online ski searches


Not sure what you're searching for, but I've just googled 'Snow Reports' and 'Ski News' and in both searches the Ski Club was the second result. Not paid, but organic search.


Ditto, skeeb was on the front page at least. However the search for: middle england gaper fest and boring ski discussion
brought up Snowheads as the top results.

I don't know if that is significant, or not.
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Davina Goldballs wrote:
Let's remember that the Skeeb also has its 'Line-S' division going ...

https://www.line-s.co.uk/

Quote:
With over 20,000 members, we are the the largest student snowsports club in the UK.
Proudly part of the Ski Club of Great Britain


And, further down the page ...

Quote:
Started in 1903, the Ski Club of Great Britain is the oldest and largest organisation of its sort in the world, with over 28,000 members.


Line-S is now 4 years old (founded 2015) and the same questions continue:

1. Are Line-S members (paying no subscription fee?) also members of the SCGB?
2. Do Line-S members (students) ever graduate?
3. When they graduate, do they cease to become Line-S members?
4. How many Line-S members have converted to become conventional SCGB members?

[that's enough questions - Ed.]


From memory:

1. Line-S is a free tier of Ski Club membership. They don't get to vote at the AGM.

2. Only if they pass their finals.

3. Yes.

4. I have no idea. This is (as I understood things in 2015 anyway) a long-term initiative and the expectation was that people would come back to the Club later in life after establishing careers etc.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof wrote:
...However the search for: middle england gaper fest ...
brought up Snowheads as the top results.

I don't know if that is significant, or not.


It is a good reminder to reduce my online footprint Little Angel
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof,
Quote:

However the search for: middle england gaper fest and boring ski discussion
brought up Snowheads as the top results.

Does that make you feel at home? Or at least home from home. Or something.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:

Does that make you feel at home? Or at least home from home. Or something.


well not being middle england, not so much I'm afraid. I've never understood what a "gaper fest" is, something from our friends at TGR I think. Maybe boring ski discussion is more fitting.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, I think it's supposed not to be cool to wear sunnies with a helmet and it's even less cool to have a gap (hence gaper) between the top of your goggles and your helmet; a person who is guilty of one or both of these crimes is a gaper and therefore very uncool. But you knew that really, didn't you? (Personally I'm only guilty of the first, my goggles fit pretty well when I'm wearing them.)
Your ski discussion isn't boring.
I think it's OK here really.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Following the departure of Darren Neylon (CEO from 13 Mar 2018 to 15 May 2019) ...

... the Ski Club of Great Britain is once again advertising the position of Chief Executive.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSkiClub/posts/10157500912463109

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs/chief-executive-officer-vacancy

Quote:
The Ski Club is the largest and oldest snowsports club in the UK and the largest in the world ...

... The new appointee will follow in the footsteps of a successful CEO who has led a significant transformation of the business in the last 12 months and paved the way for further growth and expansion ...

... Whilst relatively small in size, The Ski Club is highly influential, having affiliations with over 2,000 organisations, and working very closely with other sporting bodies in the UK and overseas."


The same recruitment consultants as last time - Warren Partners - have been appointed to find the new person.
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
I think it's supposed not to be cool to wear sunnies with a helmet and it's even less cool to have a gap (hence gaper) between the top of your goggles and your helmet;


a strange tan line is sub-optimal (as the Americans would say) but I can't see it really being that important either.

I wouldn't think there are too many gapers on Snowheads either, given what people spend on gear here.
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thegnomewithnoname wrote:
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"

http://youtube.com/v/I3fF91jGdPM


He could be just what you guys need.
But just look at Man Utd; the team are unmanageable. Too well paid, too comfy, no accountability, targets or spark, sunk to perennial underachievers. Can't just blame toxic players...it's the system that's created them. They need a complete clear-out, but too shameless to admit it. So they'll stay below top5 for a decade and staff will keep taking the easy money til retirement, talk bollox til they find something more interesting (like CEO did).

Or hire Mourinho to fix you up; he might be cheaper, less arrogant n high handed than DG in managerial style. wink
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skipping back 3 pages to revisit some breaking news of 24 April ...

Davina Goldballs wrote:
The Ski Club of GB has just announced the resignation of its chief executive Darren Neylon, who joined the organisation in March 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/325182624251298/permalink/1734907723278774/

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/ski-club-news/2019/04/resignation-of-darren-neylon-chief-executive-officer


... it's notable that the Skeeb continues to advertise for a new CEO 2 months later ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs/chief-executive-officer-vacancy

... and with no closing date for applications.

Current job offers also include 'Head of Operations' and 'Operations Executive' ...

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/jobs

As previously reported by the Club, Ian Holt (SCGB treasurer) is currently the CEO but - interestingly - this is not expressed officially in an 'acting' capacity ... at least as described on the Club's staff listing ...

Quote:
SKI CLUB STAFF
Chief Executive Officer
Ian Holt


Source: https://www.skiclub.co.uk/about-the-ski-club/ski-club-council-and-staff

If the Club is serious about hiring a new CEO there is presumably a deadline by which applicants must be short-listed and then interviewed. But I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this field.

thegnomewithnoname wrote:
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"


No
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Davina Goldballs wrote:
...I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this field.


That's never stopped you spouting crap before.

thegnomewithnoname wrote:
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"


Doubt he'd be qualified unless CEO is code for part time theater usher.
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
adithorp wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:
...I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this field.


That's never stopped you spouting crap before.

thegnomewithnoname wrote:
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"


Doubt he'd be qualified unless CEO is code for part time theater usher.


Chief Excrement Originator?
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Davina Goldballs wrote:
thegnomewithnoname wrote:
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"


No
"Do you quite like that ubrain chap?
Do you like what he's done with that Snowheads of his?"

adithorp wrote:
Davina Goldballs wrote:
...I wouldn't claim to be an expert in this field.


That's never stopped you spouting crap before.

thegnomewithnoname wrote:
"Are you going to apply for the job then David?"


Doubt he'd be qualified unless CEO is code for part time theater usher.

C**tish Entrance Officiator ?
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy