Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help where do we go

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello new here nor sure posting in right place! we went to Hemersdal Norway this Feb half term kids age 17 and 15 loved it keen to ski next year. Ive been looking at European resorts but even self catering accommodation seems expensive we had 3 bed apartment for £1405 v spacious sauna etc this year. We went to Morzine years ago loved resort but accommodation seems really expensive and not ski in ski out. I've calculated week in Tyrsil would be £3968 plus food how does that compare with a week in France? It seems what we save on flights we'll spend on accommodation and what does food cost in Alps, it was double UK in Norway ? any recommendations advice really welcome fyi the kids are naturals - reds blacks hubby proficient but not adventurous, me nervous nellie greens and blues. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Penpit, welcome to Snowheads.

Feb half term is the most expensive week of the season because it is high season and clashes with the school holidays in other countries.

Is ski in ski out important to you?

Food is fairly expensive in the Alps, especially on the mountain. Have you thought of self catering?

What does your £3968 include - flights, accommodation and lift pass presumably. What about ski hire, ski lessons? Do you eat out on the mountain and in the evening every day?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Penpit,

Welcome to Snowheads. We self cater in Val Thorens and find the supermarkets expensive but not eye wateringly so. If you can do a big shop in the valley (ie before you climb up to the ski resorts) you would save about 30% on the resort prices.

We are fans of Aldi and Lidl in the UK and find France (in resort) to be generally double the cost of those places. However, eating in is still far cheaper than eating out and needn't break the bank.

We know a family that goes to Chamrousse in France. It's off the tour operators' radar and is much more reasonably priced for accommodation and ski passes than the mega resorts we all know.

I'm sure others will be along soon with other "off the beaten track" recommendations.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As you have noticed flights is the first challenge, this thread shows you how to make those OK price (nb you can always do this and throw away the second set)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3228362&highlight=flights#3228362

After that hire a car to goto accommodation.

Self catered accommodation is cheapest Homeandaway is one source, there are others.

Having recently booked for next half term (accommodation so far) I was finding a number I tried were already booked.

Sweden is also worth considering- food prices are cheaper there than Norway, we went there for half term last year.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3195162&highlight=sweden#3195162
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another place to look for accommodation is Sunweb - they have released nests stuff yet and their prices always include the lift pass. We are booked with them when we use our second set of flights to go to Mayrhofen at Easter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We, 2 sons same ages as your two, non skiing wife and me, self cater each year during Feb half term. We did go during term time when the boys were at primary and once at Christmas to Les Arcs. We drive to resort - France & Austria - in recent years. I look at the resorts website for accommodation as there's usually a good range. Cost wise it does vary, but max budget for a 2 bed reasonably sized apartment 45 sq metres + comes in around £1,500 for where we've been. Ischgl this year, Chatel a couple of times, Serfaus, Kirchberg, Alpe D'Huez x 3, Les Carroz x 2 and La Clusaz.

The drive to the Austrian resorts is about 12 hours on average plus stops, so on a par with 3 Valley's, ADH etc.

We drive down, use Tesco vouchers for Eurotunnel, well we did until discovering Flexiplus for the outward trip. Often we overnight on the Friday - say Troyes area, this year we stayed in Metz, but the cost for a family room is around £50-60 for the night if you book early.

For food, we take pasta & rice, some potatoes, pasta sources for the week. We'll buy meat and fresh veg at the local supermarket or butchers, plus wines and beers. We usually eat out 2/3 times including the first night and a lunch on the mountain if my wife can get there. Me & the boys usually have a lunch in a restaurant on the first day and then take packed lunches.

I haven't worked out the total costs as don't want to have a shock Shocked but you would be catering at home, so to me that's not necessarily an extra cost.

Last year we went with Peak Retreats to Chatel for a change. We upgraded to Flexiplus for £100 IIRC. This year we went back to me researching and booking.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We are fans of Aldi and Lidl in the UK and find France (in resort) to be generally double the cost of those places. However, eating in is still far cheaper than eating out and needn't break the bank.

Aldi, Lidl and Netto also exist in France. I think the prices in France are about 15% more expensive than the UK due to the collapse of sterling following the Brexit referendum. If the cost of food for self catering is a significant factor in your skiing budget then do your shopping in the valley. Last Christmas we were skiing in Les Arcs. My wife, son and me all put rucksacks on our backs and headed down to the SuperU. Aldi is actually a shorter walk but the main target was food we couldn't get in the resort such as St Jaques.
Quote:

The drive to the Austrian resorts is about 12 hours on average plus stops, so on a par with 3 Valley's, ADH etc.

The best we have managed is 14 hours from Birmingham to Les Arcs with a very lucky tunnel crossing.

I'm not sure if crossing prices go up at half term, but fuel, tolls and food prices stay the same.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Layne wrote:
@Penpit, welcome to Snowheads.

Feb half term is the most expensive week of the season because it is high season and clashes with the school holidays in other countries.

Is ski in ski out important to you?

Food is fairly expensive in the Alps, especially on the mountain. Have you thought of self catering?

What does your £3968 include - flights, accommodation and lift pass presumably. What about ski hire, ski lessons? Do you eat out on the mountain and in the evening every day?


Hi Yes the £4000 is everything flights, self catering accommodation car ski passes and equipment not sure if that's good or not?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very Happy
Bergmeister wrote:
Penpit,

Welcome to Snowheads. We self cater in Val Thorens and find the supermarkets expensive but not eye wateringly so. If you can do a big shop in the valley (ie before you climb up to the ski resorts) you would save about 30% on the resort prices.

We are fans of Aldi and Lidl in the UK and find France (in resort) to be generally double the cost of those places. However, eating in is still far cheaper than eating out and needn't break the bank.

We know a family that goes to Chamrousse in France. It's off the tour operators' radar and is much more reasonably priced for accommodation and ski passes than the mega resorts we all know.

I'm sure others will be along soon with other "off the beaten track" recommendations.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you everyone great advice and info I will look at the recommendations it would be nice to go to a different country. Very Happy
snow conditions



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy