Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

late late late April Skiing

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Booked some return flights into Geneva 24th - 27th April to get the last of the season's snow under the planks. I've skied in Val Thorens in 16 of the last 20 Aprils but never skied anywhere else this late in the season.
Does anyone else regularly ski anywhere else this late in the season (I know it's all condition dependent)

I believe the resorts still open that week are:

Val Thorens
Les deux Alpes
Les Arcs
La Plagne
Montgenevre
Tignes
Val D'Isere

Without upsetting the end of season bashers can anyone persuade me to look at anywhere other than VT ?
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@garethjomo,

Tignes/Espace Killy is usually excellent then as well. Its worth going there for a change.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@garethjomo, ...last year we stood in the car park at Chandolin in the last week of opening and watched the snow fall and fall and fall.

It was glorious.

Looking at the meteo - when we are in the Valais on 10th April all that wil be falling will be our tears....
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Espace Killy will be superb at that time - with at least half of the whole area open; winter snow at altitude (with powder possible); skiing back to 1500m on soft snow; very quiet slopes; and (likely) sunny weather.

We've always had a fantastic time there on about seven late April/early May visits in the last 10 years or so.

Will send you a pm re bargain accommodation (in case of any interest) - with Snowheads discount wink
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The last day for most of the 3 Valleys is 22nd April. Val Thorens itself will be open until 5th May.

https://www.merinet.com/lifts/dates

We're heading to Alpe d'Huez around those dates. Fingers crossed there will still be enough snow about.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Les Arc website states their lifts are open until 27th April but I guess that will depend on conditions.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought I'd posted this already but obviously didn't hit submit. Doh.

Are the runs in Tignes typically open down to Les Boisses and Les Brevieres that late ? It's dependent on conditions of course but, for example, I've been to Courchevel mid-April the last 4-5 years and I know they have always manged to keep the run down to 1550 open until post Easter, even when it's been T-shirt weather and the bottom of the lower pistes have been slush across green fields. I'm just wondering if Tignes usually manage it as I'm thinking of Easter week (13-20 April) and have seen some accommodation options that might suit.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garethjomo wrote:

Does anyone else regularly ski anywhere else this late in the season (I know it's all condition dependent)


Verbier and Zermatt are 2 other great options for end of April. Verbier’s been at its best the last 2 April’s

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=132925&start=240

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=127730&start=160
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
List of resorts sorted by closing date:

https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/saisonende/

Country selector at the bottom.
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gazzza, I’ve skied in Tignes/Val D into very early May.
Twice in last 4 seasons I did that and runs all open, in good condition, down to Les Brev, Boisses.

In fact there was significant fresh snow on the last couple of days lifts were open both times.

Maybe I got lucky but even if temperatures rise, management of snow and pistes are very good I think.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gazzza, don't know about that low (Brevieres) but last year in mid April at lunch time, the red piste down to Val d'Isere (Orange?) was awfully mushy/slushy in its lower part. I imagine that all things being equal, even if it will be open it won't be enjoyable after 10-11.
All the upper segments were a treat.
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis wrote:
List of resorts sorted by closing date:

https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/saisonende/

Country selector at the bottom.


Hmm. They have got Tignes wrong - it's open 'til 5th May 2019.
https://www.bergfex.com/frankreich/saisonende/
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val d'Isere.
snow report     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd go to Val d'Isere rather than Tignes.
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@HoneyBunny, why? From the night life perspective?
From Tignes Le Lac and especially from Val Claret you have the Funicular to the glacier.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go to Tignes, and the runs to Les Boisses/Les Brevieres have been open when I have been there at that time of year. I have stayed in Les Boisses late in the season and skied back everyday - I used to get the bus up though. The conditions can be superb late in the season. Plenty of Tignes is north facing and of a very high altitude. I love the place at that time of year.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never skied soft snow or slush and not enjoyed it. Tignes or Val D will be great!

It's a brilliant time of the year to ski. We will be in Val Thorens for the last week of the season (from 28 April) and can't wait! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why are you worried about Les Brevieres in Tignes? There’s so much more to EK. The snow will be great somewhere in the EK. Just go to it, ski it and enjoy. Just make sure you use sun screen!
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
drporat wrote:
@Gazzza, don't know about that low (Brevieres) but last year in mid April at lunch time, the red piste down to Val d'Isere (Orange?) was awfully mushy/slushy in its lower part. I imagine that all things being equal, even if it will be open it won't be enjoyable after 10-11.
All the upper segments were a treat.


I skied the closing weekend at VDI last year. It was pretty chilly and the snow was ok in the afternoon... mushy but skiable. It was raining in resort on the Sunday but snow on the Solaise, storm force winds though.
ski holidays     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
drporat wrote:
@Gazzza, don't know about that low (Brevieres) but last year in mid April at lunch time, the red piste down to Val d'Isere (Orange?) was awfully mushy/slushy in its lower part. I imagine that all things being equal, even if it will be open it won't be enjoyable after 10-11.
All the upper segments were a treat.


I skied the closing weekend at VDI last year. It was pretty chilly and the snow was ok in the afternoon... mushy but skiable. It was raining in resort on the Sunday but snow on the Solaise, storm force winds though.


Sounds like you had a great time Very Happy
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've skied late April quite a few times, and have always gone to Chamonix. We've always had pretty good conditions - even if it's raining in town most of the skiing is high enough to still be getting snow (we've avoided Les Houches...). But it depends what you want...there's not going to be as much piste skiing as in 3V or EK. Though the town is bigger and more interesting if the weather is truly awful!
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sfellows wrote:
Why are you worried about Les Brevieres in Tignes? There’s so much more to EK. The snow will be great somewhere in the EK. Just go to it, ski it and enjoy. Just make sure you use sun screen!


Purely as I'd seen accommodation options in Les Brev and Les Boisses and don't want to bus up and back if they close the runs/lifts. I don't mind soft/slush for the home run, but do like to ski back at the end of the day rather than bus faff.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:
Espace Killy will be superb at that time - with at least half of the whole area open; winter snow at altitude (with powder possible); skiing back to 1500m on soft snow; very quiet slopes; and (likely) sunny weather.

We've always had a fantastic time there on about seven late April/early May visits in the last 10 years or so.

Will send you a pm re bargain accommodation (in case of any interest) - with Snowheads discount wink


I've replied to your message.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Espace Killy would get my vote.
ski holidays     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy