Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aussies Do Europe - Live trip report.

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Aussie Steve, I love Muscat - does this come in bottles and will I find it in the shops?
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just caught up after a few days. What a trip. Sounds wonderful. I am impressed by your organisational skills.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^^^ +1 snowHead
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheesie168 wrote:
Just caught up after a few days. What a trip. Sounds wonderful. I am impressed by your organisational skills.


Yes, sbooker has researched his trip in depth and organised the itinerary very well. Very Happy
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheesie168 wrote:
Just caught up after a few days. What a trip. Sounds wonderful. I am impressed by your organisational skills.


We love the research - it’s almost as fun as the trip itself. Great to have something to look forward to.
I must say I have received some good advice from the friendly folk on this forum that has been invaluable. A big thanks to Alastair Pink who suggested a rough itinerary early in the stages of planning and who has given very detailed advice on transport options in particular which has been top notch.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sbooker wrote:
Cheesie168 wrote:
Just caught up after a few days. What a trip. Sounds wonderful. I am impressed by your organisational skills.


We love the research - it’s almost as fun as the trip itself. Great to have something to look forward to.


I agree. I keep all my planning as well as anything I collect on the trip. Put them all in a box to look back on.
I got large collection of wristbands and plastic cards from city tourism cards, etc.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sbooker wrote:
I must say I have received some good advice from the friendly folk on this forum that has been invaluable. A big thanks to Alastair Pink who suggested a rough itinerary early in the stages of planning and who has given very detailed advice on transport options in particular which has been top notch.


@sbooker, you're welcome. I hope the final part of your trip to Innsbruck goes well before you return back to Oz from Munich. Very Happy

This forum is a great resource for information about ski resorts and related matters, and I find part of the pleasure of sking is to enthuse and encourage others to visit the areas I know and love snowHead . I hope you'll continue to contribute to the forum in future with trip reports of your next ski adventures!
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Peter S,

We went to the Marmolada museum a couple of days ago. How the soldiers involved in that ordeal must have been hard men. Kind of embarrassing to think how soft we are in the current day in comparison. I was complaining my Gortex protected fingers were a bit chilly today. Smile And I wasn’t dodging any bullets.

Anyway early this morning we received news the links between the valleys would likely be shut - in particular the high ones like Passo Pordoi so we opted to go the other way toward Corvara. There was light snow overnight and the pistes we wonderfully soft. The wind was blowing a bit so we sought refuge in Edelwiess Valley for a while. Even with cloudy skies and light snow the vistas there are mind blowing. The breeze was much more gentle too. After a coffee and strudel at about 10.30am we ventured around to Val Gardena. There were still warnings of lift closures on the message boards but I thought the worst that could happen was an expensive taxi ride.
No need to worry as we spent time around the Ciampinoi area taking in the views of the Sassolungo looming above before heading around to Val fi Fassa and eventually Arabba. Lunch was gulaschsuppe at the Ciavas rifugio.
We head off to Innsbruck tomorrow for a quick look. Sadly we’ve only scratched the surface of this fantastic place. In particular I’d love to spend more time around Val Gardena and Seiser Alm bit in especially Val Di Fassa.
In my uneducated opinion the village of Arabba is a great spot if your crew is that of decent skiers who want to be able to access Marmolada, Hidden Valley and the whole Sella area. It has wonderful ambience too.
Check out the illuminated chapel.
https://i.imgur.com/aDMUvBu.jpg
And a few more pics from today.
https://i.imgur.com/4vNvVzL.jpg
The kids on a busy run in Val Di Fassa.
https://i.imgur.com/i0xG0ip.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/thgb6fG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IdQADFU.jpg
And Arabba turned on a nice sunset for us.
https://i.imgur.com/jz3MnRT.jpg
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sbooker, talking of sunsets, if the conditions are right the Dolomite rock glows with a fantastic orange hue at sunset! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like many others I've really enjoyed following your family trip. I hope your children are aware how lucky they are, what an amazing opportunity for you all as a family.

I'm sure like me other might like to here from the kids, we know a little about the ice cream but what other things did they like, dislike?

You certainly made the right choice staying in the Dolomites such amazing scenery. Here in Austria we have had huge amounts of snow, but the visability had been poor and the conditions very dangerous.

Hope you enjoy your last few days.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sbooker , enjoying your photos, thanks

Put "Google Photos Album", into a search engine or Youtube

Google Photos is a great mechanism to organise your photos, create an album etc.

Once you have an album created, very easy to share album , watch on phone, Smart TV etc
snow report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for sharing your journey. If you enter your lift pass number on the superski Dolomite website you ll find they've been tracking your every move and they'll show you an animation of your route, complete with little markets going up the lifts. It's the sort of thing that kids love.
Safe trip back to Australia
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, thanks for taking the time and effort to share the story and pics of your trip so far.

Like others, delighted you all enjoyed the Dolomites so much.

Safe journey to Innsbruck, another fine city.
snowHead
snow conditions     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do give us you account of your trip to Val di Fassa, the one pic looks amazing. Wide, beautiful and pretty empty.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Teletart wrote:
Like many others I've really enjoyed following your family trip. I hope your children are aware how lucky they are, what an amazing opportunity for you all as a family.

I'm sure like me other might like to here from the kids, we know a little about the ice cream but what other things did they like, dislike?

You certainly made the right choice staying in the Dolomites such amazing scenery. Here in Austria we have had huge amounts of snow, but the visability had been poor and the conditions very dangerous.

Hope you enjoy your last few days.


The kids understand how lucky they are but being 11 and 13 it’s a little lost on them I guess. Aside from travel we live more conservatively than most middle class Aussies despite being lucky to have a larger than usual income (that allows the intercontinental travel). We don’t generally sport flash labels or enjoy lavish entertainment throughout the working year. It’s a case of long working and schooling weeks with a multitude of sport on the weekends.
Even when on holiday the kids have to earn their treats. They are up with me early each morning for a gym session before breakfast.
They mostly enjoyed the fact that everything is a little foreign in Europe. Both have learnt Italian at school and they’ve loved attempting to communicate with the locals. It’s amazing how friendly people are if you try a little of the local language.
Tom has enjoyed playing table tennis with the Croatian kids and racing the other kids at the various ‘time trial’ facilities on the mountains. They’ve have both excitedly been giving their mates updates on their activities via FaceTime. Hopefully they’ve liked spending a bit more time than usual with their father who admittedly works too much.
I don’t think they’ve disliked a thing but they have both mentioned the skiing is ‘different’ to what they have been used to in Canada and the US.
I remind them at the end of each holiday that it may be the last that I can provide as life can throw changes our way. They both say they’ll be happy with a camping holiday back home if it comes to that. (I can’t honestly say I would be though). Smile
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@cameronphillips2000,
Thanks for the tip on the Dolomiti Superski website. I’ll be sure to check it out.
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@motyl,
You should be able to buy Mick Morris or Rutherglen Estates liqueur Muscats at Tesco. I know Tesco have contracts with these vineyards and probably others as well. Its mostly available in 500ml bottles. Make sure its from Rutherglen and not the imitations from other regions like the Riverina. Classification goes Rutherglen (£5-10), classic, grand and rare (£100+). The rare is blended with a base of 50+ year vintages. Enjoy!
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sbooker,
Enjoyed following your jaunt thru the Alps. I detect an enthusiasm for the Dolomites. Once experienced they hook you.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sbooker, Enjoyed following your trip. Perhaps you can make the BB next year snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rabbie wrote:
@sbooker, Enjoyed following your trip. Perhaps you can make the BB next year snowHead snowHead snowHead

The timing would be perfect actually. We would tack another location on the week before or after. Decisions decisions - a real first world problem. Europe, Japan or North America.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So today we spent the afternoon checking out Innsbruck. It’s a lovely place with plenty of charm and ambience - particularly when it’s snowing! The kids were having a competition as to who could catch the biggest snowflake. Snow is still a novelty after all these years of trips to snowy locations. Smile
Going to look at the Olympic stuff tomorrow morning before heading to Munich. This is coming to a close. Sad
https://i.imgur.com/9rTbNqc.jpg
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sbooker, Also really enjoyed your trip reports and glad you've enjoyed Europe. Have a great last few days.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sbooker wrote:
Rabbie wrote:
@sbooker, Enjoyed following your trip. Perhaps you can make the BB next year snowHead snowHead snowHead

The timing would be perfect actually. We would tack another location on the week before or after. Decisions decisions - a real first world problem. Europe, Japan or North America.


Well as your Europe trip suggestion consultant Toofy Grin I'd just float the idea that you could spend a week in Switzerland before or after the Birthday Bash split between Zermatt (to let you see the Matterhorn from its best side Wink ) and the Jungfrau Region skiing at Wengen (with its famous Lauberhorn downhill course), Grindelwald and Murren (with its Schilthorn 007 connection) with the views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains (including a trip by train up to the Jungfraujoch Top of Europe)! Madeye-Smiley


Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 10-01-19 20:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aussie Steve wrote:
@motyl,
You should be able to buy Mick Morris or Rutherglen Estates liqueur Muscats at Tesco. I know Tesco have contracts with these vineyards and probably others as well. Its mostly available in 500ml bottles. Make sure its from Rutherglen and not the imitations from other regions like the Riverina. Classification goes Rutherglen (£5-10), classic, grand and rare (£100+). The rare is blended with a base of 50+ year vintages. Enjoy!
Many thanks Steve - I will look out for these!
And now, back to Pink Tours Toofy Grin
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
sbooker wrote:
Rabbie wrote:
@sbooker, Enjoyed following your trip. Perhaps you can make the BB next year snowHead snowHead snowHead

The timing would be perfect actually. We would tack another location on the week before or after. Decisions decisions - a real first world problem. Europe, Japan or North America.


Well as your Europe trip suggestion consultant Toofy Grin I'd just float the idea that you could spend a week in Switzerland before or after the Birthday Bash split between Zermatt (to let you see the Matterhorn from its best side Wink ) and the Jungfrau Region skiing at Wengen (with its famous Lauberhorn downhill course), Grindelwald and Murren (with its Schilthorn 007 connection) with the views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains (including a trip by train up to the Jungfraujoch Top of Europe)! Madeye-Smiley


Looks very tempting but we plan on travelling with some friends who are beginner skiers. I don’t know if they would get out of Arabba!

Last day in Europe today. Innsbruck was beautiful this morning. Very snowy. We went to the Alpenzoo and it was great - highly recommended. A quick train ride to Munich passing Jenbach Sad and Worgl Sad . How I wish we had to change trains.
Arrived in Munich to heavy snow. Spent the afternoon walking the city and doing a bit of retail while catching big snow flakes.
Now at the Hofbrauhaus listening to the band.
https://i.imgur.com/82RvXHJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AZrx8At.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yTqEAyZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Gw8Qt8g.jpg
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent

Have a safe (if not enjoyable - having done a few UK/NZ trips, I know they are a killer) trip home.
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sbooker wrote:

Looks very tempting but we plan on travelling with some friends who are beginner skiers. I don’t know if they would get out of Arabba!


Well if they took things carefully and slowly I think they should be able to get round to Corvara (for the Alta Badia blue run heaven) and Colfosco.

sbooker wrote:
Last day in Europe today. Innsbruck was beautiful this morning. Very snowy. We went to the Alpenzoo and it was great - highly recommended.


Yes the Alpenzoo is very good, I bet the kids enjoyed it. Smile

Safe trip home! snowHead
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy