Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski wax problems

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had my skis waxed before my trip last week. the bases looked great with hardly any visable wax. However, after a couple of days skiing I noticed that my ski's where slower than my friends when cruising between runs. On the third day they felt a little sticky underfoot. When inspecting the bases they had a slight white/grey appearance to them. It looked like the wax was leaving the ski. I could scrap the wax away with my nail.

I thought 4 days of skiing would have removed any excess wax? I bought a scraper and removed as much excess as I could but my skis where still slow.

Any thoughts please?
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They need waxing again.
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shouldn’t be anything left to scrape after they’ve been waxed, and certainly no evidence of anything you could scratch with your nail after 4 days.

By that time (on hard pistes) you expect to see the sides of the skis looking a bit dry (whiter / greyer) on black bases.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dave_3 wrote:
I had my skis waxed before my trip last week.

Whereabouts?

dave_3 wrote:
the bases looked great with hardly any visable wax.

Did they look polished?

dave_3 wrote:
However, after a couple of days skiing I noticed that my ski's where slower than my friends when cruising between runs. On the third day they felt a little sticky underfoot. When inspecting the bases they had a slight white/grey appearance to them. It looked like the wax was leaving the ski. I could scrap the wax away with my nail.

I've had small patches like that when I started DIYing my skis properly because I didn't scrape and/or polish correctly but now I don't.

dave_3 wrote:
I thought 4 days of skiing would have removed any excess wax? I bought a scraper and removed as much excess as I could but my skis where still slow.

Any thoughts please?

Perhaps need to polish with a brush. Perhaps they used poor wax or wax unsuited to the conditions.

It may be easier just to get them fully waxed at a different/good shop.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dave_3 wrote:
When inspecting the bases they had a slight white/grey appearance to them. It looked like the wax was leaving the ski. I could scrap the wax away with my nail.


Sounds like they put much too much on. The wax should be a microscopic smooth layer, not something you can pick off.

I'd get them done again... somewhere else.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was surprised when first waxed my own skis by how little was is on skis... as said by bar shaker ...too much on before
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took them to a guy who works at an indoor ski centre and he did them

When I had them waxed the bases didn't look polished. More like a matte black finish. It's hard to tell as 2/3 of the base is luminous yellow.
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am not a fancy-dan ski-tech, just a bloke looking to justify spending more time in the tranquility my man-cave, so I take a while over the base prep.

I normally scrape the wax to within a gnats nadger of the base, then brush it until it shines like a national guitar.

But even to an amateur like me it sounds like they did a rum old job - did it smell of sandalwood, or could you see bits of the wick ?
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dave_3 wrote:
I took them to a guy who works at an indoor ski centre and he did them

When I had them waxed the bases didn't look polished. More like a matte black finish. It's hard to tell as 2/3 of the base is luminous yellow.


Indoor wax is definitely different to mountain wax. It is designed to work at high temps (up to +4degC) and is hard to cope with the more abrasive nature of the artificial snow (ice) crystals. It is also designed for slower skiing.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:
dave_3 wrote:
I took them to a guy who works at an indoor ski centre and he did them

When I had them waxed the bases didn't look polished. More like a matte black finish. It's hard to tell as 2/3 of the base is luminous yellow.


Indoor wax is definitely different to mountain wax. It is designed to work at high temps (up to +4degC) and is hard to cope with the more abrasive nature of the artificial snow (ice) crystals. It is also designed for slower skiing.


He said he used all weather wax.

What confused me was how the Bases initially looked wax free and the wax appeared after a few days. I always thought having too much wax is no big deal as it comes off after a few runs. The snow was very coarse too!!
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy