Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good deal on Oakley goggles

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just a pretty good deal on a pair of Oakley Line Miner Prizm High Pink Iridium goggles from Igero.com.

They have a special 20% discount code at the moment. Brought the price down to £86.40, with free delivery. That's the cheapest I've seen them by quite some way.

Hopefully I'll be able to see where I'm going on flat light days at the next BB. (Hopefully). Shocked Confused Cool Toofy Grin
snow conditions     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll definitely want some other lenses for those... the high pink lenses are for when it's practically dark.

EDIT: Just looked and it seems they're not 'hot-swappable' lenses, so you'll have to just bring more goggles
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dp wrote:
You'll definitely want some other lenses for those... the high pink lenses are for when it's practically dark.

EDIT: Just looked and it seems they're not 'hot-swappable' lenses, so you'll have to just bring more goggles


I've got the goggles I bought for the last BB. They were fine on days were the light wasn't flat. I've also got a pair of skiing sunglasses. They were also fine in non flat light situations.

It's a bit like driving a car at night or at twilight. Some people's eyes handle it better than others. I struggle in low light situations. I found it extremely hard going in flat light; whereas others seemed to cope better.

All the reviews and videos I saw on the web made it a toss up between the Rose and the High Pink. There's also a number of discussions on here about the merits of each compared to the other. It's all very subjective; because as I've said, some people's eyes handle low light better than others. I've gone for the goggles which let the most light through. I won't know how effective they are for me until I've tried them on an overcast day on the mountain.
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Awdbugga, The UV protection comes from the plastic of the lens, not the colour.

I have used Oakley clear lenses in bright sunlight.
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good choice for anytime it is greyout or worse. I skied a pink ion lens on the EOSB and even in sunny spells it was bearable - although I have contacts for extra UV protection.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
@Awdbugga, The UV protection comes from the plastic of the lens, not the colour.

I have used Oakley clear lenses in bright sunlight.


I wasn't considering the UV protection. I was just looking for lenses that help increase the definition of the snow in flat light.
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dammit, I've just bought some Oakleys at a rather higher price than that. Bother.
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Awdbugga, I used HI Pink Oakleys for the first time in Gressoney in poor visibility. There was definitely a difference in seeing detail compared to no goggles at all, and I found it somehow reassuring that when I still couldn't see anything, there wasn't anything to see... When the sun came out I did squint a bit so I carry my other goggles with me.

@Hurtle, I couldn't find them anywhere near this price, though admittedly I was looking for Flightdeck XMs. And I don't want to hear how cheaply anyone else found a pair of these! Toofy Grin
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got the Line Miner with the Hi Pink Prizm and Prizm Saphire.

The Hi Pink lens is by far the best lens I've had. I was using the Saphire lens as my default, but after a few days with rapidly changing visibility (from sun to overcast to whiteout and back) I switched to the Hi Pink lens as default.

The Hi Pink lens gave good visibility and contrast from whiteout up to fairly sunny days. The VLT was a bit high for really bright spells, could have done with something a bit darker - but it was manageable. Compared the the Prizm Rose lens the Hi Pink seem to be better in low light and useable in brighter conditions. I've been really surprised by the versatility, because going off Oakley's marketing they're less versatile than the Prizm Rose lens.

You can change the lens in the Lineminer, lugs on the lens locate into recesses in the frame.

The only issue I have with the Lineminer goggles is something which is actually a selling point. The goggles are low profile (particularly noticeably so at the nose bridge), which is great for a good field of vision, however, it makes it more difficult to fit my prescription inserts. In the end I had to remove the lens, put the insert in place and then put back the lens.
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="motyl"]@Awdbugga, I used HI Pink Oakleys for the first time in Gressoney in poor visibility. There was definitely a difference in seeing detail compared to no goggles at all, and I found it somehow reassuring that when I still couldn't see anything, there wasn't anything to see... When the sun came out I did squint a bit so I carry my other goggles with me.

Nice to hear they do the job intended. They get good reviews. I've got goggles for brighter light, so should hopefully be covered for all eventualities; barring a complete white out.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sureski wrote:
I've got the Line Miner with the Hi Pink Prizm and Prizm Saphire.

The Hi Pink lens is by far the best lens I've had. I was using the Saphire lens as my default, but after a few days with rapidly changing visibility (from sun to overcast to whiteout and back) I switched to the Hi Pink lens as default.

The Hi Pink lens gave good visibility and contrast from whiteout up to fairly sunny days. The VLT was a bit high for really bright spells, could have done with something a bit darker - but it was manageable. Compared the the Prizm Rose lens the Hi Pink seem to be better in low light and useable in brighter conditions. I've been really surprised by the versatility, because going off Oakley's marketing they're less versatile than the Prizm Rose lens.

You can change the lens in the Lineminer, lugs on the lens locate into recesses in the frame.

The only issue I have with the Lineminer goggles is something which is actually a selling point. The goggles are low profile (particularly noticeably so at the nose bridge), which is great for a good field of vision, however, it makes it more difficult to fit my prescription inserts. In the end I had to remove the lens, put the insert in place and then put back the lens.


Sounds like they'll be ideal for what I need them for. Luckily I don't wear glasses, so won't experience the problem you had with the prescription inserts.
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Awdbugga, I remember you mentioning flat light conditions on the BB a few times and I would say that whilst it's good to see you're grasping the situation by the horns and doing something about it... it will also get better with experience too. As you get better at skiing, you'll become better at reading the ground in front of you.

Another thing about flat light conditions is that you're not looking for brightness so much as contrast. So a lens like the sapphire jade could be just as good if not better than high pink, providing that it's lots of flat light - which does happen too! The high pink will brighten things up, but the danger is that if you have a bright flat light situation, the high pinks may still cause you to struggle due to the brightness coming through. So annoyingly they may not be the all-bases answer for flat light conditions - trying to pick up a sapphire jade lens for them too could be a good plan for days when (a) it's bright but cloudy, so you have lots of flat light; or (b) you're constantly skiing in and out of cloud cover with very variable light levels.
ski holidays     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Damnit! there always seems to be an off-season Oakley thread! I have a minor scratch on my Prizm Rose lense (airbrakes), which I generally love so was considering replacing them, just because buying kit is my way of coping in the off-season. I'm tempted by the Hi-Pinks, but on balance, I think I'll probably stick with the rose as they provide a bigger crossover; I can happily ski them on days that justify an Irridum lense.

Edit: Looks like they don't sell replacement lenses - Phew!
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RichClark, "..Edit: Looks like they don't sell replacement lenses - Phew! ..."

Or anything else ! -- my search for Oakley Goggles brought up Nil items.... (snowheads cleared them out ??!?)
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Awdbugga, hi pink great in flat light but in anything resembling a moderately sunny day i'm straight onto the sapphire blue, I reckon its generally 90% blue vs 10% pink over last 2 seasons. Best goggle lenses I've ever used.
snow conditions     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You can get the Line Miners in a range of lens colours (Prizm Torch, Prizm Jade Iridium, Prizm Pink Iridium, Prizm Rose and Prizm Sapphire from what I can see) on Amazon Warehouse Deals for £45-93...
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DrNo wrote:
You can get the Line Miners in a range of lens colours (Prizm Torch, Prizm Jade Iridium, Prizm Pink Iridium, Prizm Rose and Prizm Sapphire from what I can see) on Amazon Warehouse Deals for £45-93...


They all appear to be "used"/second hand.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awdbugga wrote:
DrNo wrote:
You can get the Line Miners in a range of lens colours (Prizm Torch, Prizm Jade Iridium, Prizm Pink Iridium, Prizm Rose and Prizm Sapphire from what I can see) on Amazon Warehouse Deals for £45-93...


They all appear to be "used"/second hand.


Sort of. In general they are customer returns from Amazon. I got some Airbrake goggles a couple of years ago that way and I couldnt tell the difference from new. In many cases the outer packaging is a bit worn/damaged but I don't wear the box so don't mind. They grade the condition and I have only purchased "Like New", "Very Good" or "Good" items.
latest report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DrNo wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:
DrNo wrote:
You can get the Line Miners in a range of lens colours (Prizm Torch, Prizm Jade Iridium, Prizm Pink Iridium, Prizm Rose and Prizm Sapphire from what I can see) on Amazon Warehouse Deals for £45-93...


They all appear to be "used"/second hand.


Sort of. In general they are customer returns from Amazon. I got some Airbrake goggles a couple of years ago that way and I couldnt tell the difference from new. In many cases the outer packaging is a bit worn/damaged but I don't wear the box so don't mind. They grade the condition and I have only purchased "Like New", "Very Good" or "Good" items.


Sounds good. I'll have to check out the warehouse deals section in future. I didn't even know it was there. Thanks for that. Very Happy
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RichClark, if it helps I've had all my replacement Airbrake lenses from Freeze Shop Pro in Scotland for totally reasonable prices.

https://www.freezeproshop.com/search/airbrake/filter[type]:goggle-lenses
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dp wrote:
@RichClark, if it helps I've had all my replacement Airbrake lenses from Freeze Shop Pro in Scotland for totally reasonable prices.

https://www.freezeproshop.com/search/airbrake/filter[type]:goggle-lenses


Damn you! but thanks Toofy Grin Pretty good price for the Rose.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dp, I just bought a new Sapphire Prizm from Freezepro, cracked mine last season in a fall. Great products and service at great prices.
latest report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
albob wrote:
[b] my search for Oakley Goggles brought up Nil items.... (snowheads cleared them out ??!?)


Nope, they have loads and the 20% off offer is still shown. https://www.igero.com/goggles-c8/snow-goggles-c9/oakley-m1
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awdbugga wrote:
albob wrote:
[b] my search for Oakley Goggles brought up Nil items.... (snowheads cleared them out ??!?)


Nope, they have loads and the 20% off offer is still shown. https://www.igero.com/goggles-c8/snow-goggles-c9/oakley-m1



Hmmm -- weird, now I see shed loads.... Puzzled
snow report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They have smith googles as well with a 20% discount, thanks @Awdbugga, Very Happy
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another site for good prices on Oakley goggles seems to be https://www.surfdome.com/ - I paid £84.49 including delivery for some black Oakley Canopy goggles with the Prizm Torch Iridium lenses, although I can't see that particular offer on the website now.
ski holidays     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy