Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Parking Near Heathrow?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for car parking around Heathrow, I'm travelling from T1, does anyone have any recent experience or recommendations?
The parking isn't needed until November but sometimes advance car park booking can give a discount.
So far, the most convenient seems to be BAA Heathrow Long Stay at £70.90 for the week if pre-booked. The turn up and pay on the day price is £134.20! Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
£42 for a week at Purple Parking.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FraserP, I recently flew from Heathrow (out from T5, back into T3) for my trip to New York. The cheapest parking I could find for a week was £59. HOWEVER, through Holiday Extras I booked a hotel room for the night before (morning departure) which included up to 8 days' parking for £53.70.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I second purple parking and normally opt for at least the bring the car to you on pick up option. Always been very good in the past.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Book on-line @ http://www.heathrowairport.com/
with the on-line booking discount, it is often just as cheap as offsite parking, and a whole load more convenient.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
FraserP, I recently flew from Heathrow (out from T5, back into T3) for my trip to New York. The cheapest parking I could find for a week was £59. HOWEVER, through Holiday Extras I booked a hotel room for the night before (morning departure) which included up to 8 days' parking for £53.70.


We do exactly this for any airport other than Luton and Heathrow, because they are 20 minutes away. Any more than that, and getting there the night before, checking the car in, and getting on a bus in the morning is much less stressful than driving to an airport at silly o'clock, parking the car, having to leave so much spare time that you end up sitting around the airport for an hour before check-in opens, and getting out of bed at 4am to do it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info.
I'd seen the Purple Parking site but wasn't really happy with the concept of handing my car over to them. With the recommendations above maybe they'll come back in to the picture.
spyder_pig, Your link is the same price that I quoted from above, thanks.
I wasn't intending be staying overnight near Heathrow, but travelling from Manchester to Heathrow on the day.
There is another option, I may also stay with the GF in Essex on the Friday night and 'ask' to be taken and recovered from the airport but that is a 3 hr round trip on both days. I think that I may have just enough 'credit' in place to have this as a maybe. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FraserP, I started using Purple Parking after they were recommended by Stoat of the Dead, and have been very satisfied with their service. On one occasion, there was a delay in pick-up: an apology was quickly forthcoming, and part of the fee was quickly re-credited to my card.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FraserP, I'm using Stress Free Parking in a couple of weeks. Just had a quick look - it's £65 for a week in November, met by chauffeur at the terminal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Of course the alternative free parking option is to call someone that hasn't been able to go on said Bash in November, and say "Is it taking the mickey to ask you to take me to Heathrow in November when I fly business class to the PSB and pick me up when I return?"

Well what would you say?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FraserP, I regularly use Purple parking for work, never had a problem, the odd delay in bringing back the car but always an apology form the driver, they are also accommodating when you arrive early if you give them a call en route.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
Of course the alternative free parking option is to call someone that hasn't been able to go on said Bash in November, and say "Is it taking the mickey to ask you to take me to Heathrow in November when I fly business class to the PSB and pick me up when I return?"

Well what would you say?
I would say YES !!! Of course !!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And didn't I do just that?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for purple parking. We use there meet and greet sercice 5 or 6 times a year. Very good service so far.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hotel car parks around Heathrow are notorious for cars being broken into, a lot of which goes un-recorded as Heathrow/the hotels do not want the bad publicity. Confused
If you do park at a Heathrow hotel leave nothing on view if an estate leave the load cover off so the thiefs can see it's empty.
Park nearest to the hotel entrance.
Take a photocopy of your tax disk in case it's stolen.
On return check both number plates are the correct ones and still firmly attached.
Make sure you have locking wheel nuts.
Forget parking under a street light at the back of the car park, the light simply helps the thieves because if they use a torch the flash of light may bring attention to them.
Don't forget the hotels have no responsibilty at all in law for your parked vehicle.

There is a reason it's cheap to leave your car. Sad
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, sobering post. Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did notice there was no security other than an entry barrier at the hotel I used. No CCTV, no staff patrols, poor lighting. My car isn't worth a great deal and I never leave anything in it. However, I did shamelessly use my mum's disabled badge and parked in the spaces right in front of the hotel door. In fairness it's difficult these days to steal a car without the keys, which is why car jacking and house burglary are now the commonest forms of car theft. But that doesn't stop vandalism and theft from a car. Definitely worth considering.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for Purple Parking. Last time I went home to NZ i left my car with them for 3 weeks with no bother at all.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia,
Quote:
I did shamelessly use my mum's disabled badge and parked in the spaces right in front of the hotel door


I hope you wake up to a plague of frogs in your nightie.....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, my mum was travelling with me, so it was a legitimate use of her badge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, How many days were you away for again? Do you believe that it is legitimate use of a disabled parking space to block it for the duration of your holiday?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guvnor, five days. There were at least half a dozen free disabled spaces when I parked there. However, I admit my reason for picking that spot was more to do with security and less to do with making my mum hobble to and from the hotel door.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guvnor, full marks for your dedication to trolling.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia,

Quote:
However, I admit my reason for picking that spot was more to do with security and less to do with making my mum hobble to and from the hotel door.


somewhat contradicts

Quote:
so it was a legitimate use of her badge


Still, as long as you can sleep at night.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Guvnor, full marks for your dedication to trolling.

Trolling? I completely agree with Guvnor on this - I think queen bodecia's behaviour was absolutely disgraceful.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm never quite sure whether people are simply taking the pee on here. Since when is parking a car with a disabled occupant in a disabled space 'absolutely disgraceful' behaviour?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, take no notice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm never quite sure whether people are simply taking the pee on here. Since when is parking a car with a disabled occupant in a disabled space 'absolutely disgraceful' behaviour?

When you go away for several days with said disabled person, leaving the car in a space which other disabled people may need. Rather obvious, I would have thought. The disabled space is there to enable ease of access to the hotel. Your disabled mother was not even in the hotel for most of the time. I have, of course, no problem with the disabled space being used while she was actually in residence.

Please do take notice, it's important.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jo225, +1 (as someone who also had a disabled parent)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin wrote:
Hotel car parks around Heathrow are notorious for cars being broken into, a lot of which goes un-recorded as Heathrow/the hotels do not want the bad publicity. Confused
If you do park at a Heathrow hotel leave nothing on view if an estate leave the load cover off so the thiefs can see it's empty.
Park nearest to the hotel entrance.
Take a photocopy of your tax disk in case it's stolen.
On return check both number plates are the correct ones and still firmly attached.
Make sure you have locking wheel nuts.
Forget parking under a street light at the back of the car park, the light simply helps the thieves because if they use a torch the flash of light may bring attention to them.
Don't forget the hotels have no responsibilty at all in law for your parked vehicle.

There is a reason it's cheap to leave your car. Sad


Come on, it's not Liverpool. I used to work in an industrial estate right next to Heathrow, leaving my car overnight while I did shifts, parking on the road frequently, and many people we had come for meetings stayed in the local hotels.

None of us ever had our cars broken into. Ever. Easy way to avoid it - empty your glovebox, back seat, and don't stick a hands free kit or sat nav sucker on your windscreen. Hide everything out of sight, in the same way that I would reccomend to anyone leaving their car for any period of time in any city in the UK.

They won't break in. If they do, then you've either been very unlucky, or you have somehow identified yourself as a target in some other way.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia wrote:
I'm never quite sure whether people are simply taking the pee on here. Since when is parking a car with a disabled occupant in a disabled space 'absolutely disgraceful' behaviour?


It only takes 5 people over the course of a week to do that in most hotels, and suddenly a disabled person can't get from the car to the hotel very easily. Use the spaces to drop someone off, when you are staying overnight, when you go away move the car to a normal space. I can only assume there were plenty of spaces because any other disabled people leaving their cars did this.

I would be annoyed if I turned up with a disabled member of my family and the spaces were all full because of people leaving their cars for the week while they went on holiday. Wouldn't you?

I don't see it as absolutely disgraceful at all. You did something that you didn't think was an issue at the time. It probably wasn't an issue the entire time you were away. But perhaps now you'd do things differently.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monium, holidayloverxx, Jo225, point taken. At this particular hotel there seemed to be plenty of empty disabled spaces so I didn't consider it to be a problem. And as mentioned before, the disabled spaces had the advantage of a more secure position.

Apologies for pointless thread drift.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it makes anyone feel any better, I parked a motorhome in a disabled space at a train station this evening. It was one of about 10 disabled spaces, all of which were empty, and all the normal spaces were taken, of which there are only about 5. Why on earth they think there are more disabled people getting on and off the train than able bodied people I have no idea. It was only for 10 minutes. I am a bad person.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well maybe I am a bad person, but I wouldn't have used that space if there weren't plenty of other disabled spaces available. I figured a hotel near Heathrow would probably have a low car park space turnover (i.e. lots of long stay parking) and most of the cars I saw on my arrival were still there, parked in the same places, when I left.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why do Tesco's have so many disabled spaces? No matter when you visit at least half are always empty?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, Just park in them - and if questioned, refer them to queen bodecia, who says it is OK.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to clarify, I parked in a disabled space with a blue badge on display and a disabled occupant in my car. I am not the devil incarnate for using a facility under the intended terms of its usage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, just to clarify, you left your car parked in a disabled bay at a hotel whilst you & your disabled mother went away on holiday. I don't believe this qualifies as 'the intended terms of usage' at all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jo225, +1 again
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jo225, and again, we're talking about an airport hotel where long stay parking is the norm, and where there were plenty of unused disabled parking spaces available.
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy