Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me a resort

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

4 thirty-something blokes looking to go in early March on a relatively tight budget (max £500 each for the flight & accomodation)

We're all intermediate skiers and fancy a change so don't want to re-visit any of the places we've been before (Livigno, Morzine, Chamonix, Pas De La Casa, Sauze D'Oulx)

Apres ski is as important to us as the skiing (sad I know - we may eventually grow up but there's no sign at the moment!) so the resort must be extremely lively.

Would love to try somewhere like Ischgl or St Anton but these seem to be out of our budget so can anyone suggest some decent alternatives?

Cheers,

Si

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 26-11-08 10:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stemple, Soll?? maybe a bit naff, but huge intermediate ski area, cheap as chips and I believe it's lively although I am a pipe 'n' slippers man myself snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHead

You could do st. Anton for that kind of money...

Fly Ryanair to Friedrichshafen, Transfer c/o airportbus.at, self-catering apparment (lots available week to week) should be possible to do it.

Of course you'll spend that again on lift pass (203 euro for 6 days), Kit hire (c. 175 euros) and then beer tokens in the moose / kk / bar cuba etc...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't mention that we really need to fly from Manchester or Liverpool (or Birmingham at a push) which seems to rule out Friedrichshafen?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 26-11-08 19:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stemple, if you end up in France, don't go till second week of March, to avoid the big holiday weeks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mayrhofen would be a good bet. Great skiing, good apres and generally cheaper than St. Anton and Ischgl.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Solden will fit the bill for both the skiing and the apres. Cheaper than Ischgl and St Anton. A package would probably be your best bet - though it's not the most popular resort with British tour ops.

The ski area is excellent - fair sized, high with a good snow record (2 glaciers) and the apres is totally wild..... if beer drinking, Europop and lap dancing are your thing Toofy Grin Good range of restaurants too.

Having been to France loads last winter/this summer I made my Austria comeback for a ski weekend 10 days ago. Beer is half price in Austria!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy - 3 euros for a big 'un at Stubai glacier vs 6 euros at Tignes glacier Shocked . Sadly, I am unable to comment on the price of Austrian vs French lap dancers...

Austria for apres ski? You know it makes sense!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stemple, look at Bad Gastein. It has a pretty lively après ski and the ski area is well suited to intermediates. PM me for more info and have a look at the Ski Gastein website.

Cheers snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stemple, fly easyJet then to Innsbruck and even closer to St Anton. I stayed in B&B called Talhof Nigg a couple of years back for €65 per night and this was right in the centre. If you don't mind staying outwith the centre you can stay there for €40 per night. Insider guide to st anton http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/ official website http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201 Good train service to St Anton as are taxis www.innsbruck-taxi.com You can eat out pretty reasonably too in St Anton - head for Funky Chicken €10 will get you a decent curry and some rocking apres from 10 onwards. Avoid the Chineese - it's crap and expensive, even though it does sell Kaiser beer
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach / Hintergelmm would fit the bill perfect, a nice 3/4 star hotel for £500 that time of the year. Have a look on Igluski, great Apres on the mountain and in resort, cheaper than St. Anton and the like.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most of the resorts that have been suggested I would absolutely go for, the best thing is that March and April are almost always the best snow months over here in Tirol.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i really enjoyed la plagne and les duex alps for apres ski you should easily be able to get deal for under £500

we went to serre che last year allthough the skiing was good the apres wasnt enough we love hitting it hard slopes and apres just so you get a gist you may not want it as lively as us were all mid 20's
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aw-hicks wrote:
you may not want it as lively as us were all mid 20's

Whoa there! Thirtysomething may sound old when you're mid 20's but trust me we can still hold our own against the most hardened apres skiers!

Bring it on youngsters! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd suggest Cervinia. It 's great for mixed abilities and there's plenty of bars/clubs to crawl around over not a huge area. Stay away from La Tania as the night life is rubbish. Only one good bar (Ski Lodge) worth visiting and it gets packed out.

Peter
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stemple, i'm 35 and have a lads week booked in SOLDEN in march. DIY, (incliding lift pass and ski hire transfers flights and accom) around about £400 (assuming that you were not including beer money in that budget - you will need the same again for that Very Happy )

Mayrhofen may be another good option.
latest report
Libertine, lucky man, Solden is 'vollgas' as they say over here. Budget for some head ache remedies as well !
snow report
red 27 wrote:
stemple, Soll?? maybe a bit naff, but huge intermediate ski area, cheap as chips and I believe it's lively although I am a pipe 'n' slippers man myself snowHead

Me too, but I also know it is full on apres ski - I watched from a distance Smile
snow report
Another quick question - we're still flexible with the week we choose to go, so if we do end up going to Austria are there any particular weeks to avoid due to school holidays etc?
snow conditions
Fasching week, crazy fun but busy as hell. Solden will be manic until the end of April in any case.
snow report
stemple,
Quote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing
aw-hicks wrote:
you may not want it as lively as us were all mid 20's

Whoa there! Thirtysomething may sound old when you're mid 20's but trust me we can still hold our own against the most hardened apres skiers!

Can't believe someone actually found the apres ski in La Plagne good. aw-hicks, Get yourself to Austria young man for some hardened apres ski Toofy Grin 30 is the new 20
ski holidays
Esprit, got to defend La Tania there, certainly not rubbish - live music every night of the week. Only 4 decent bars in resort but 10 minutes in a taxi to Courchevel and Meribel. I thought Cervinia was a bit flat (geddit) by comparison, though it was quite a few years ago...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy