Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge & Wax over the Edge!

Poster: A snowHead

It appears the well known retailer, Edge and Wax, in Sussex is in trouble.
Rumoured to 'owe everyone loads', one of the big hardware brands has issued a winding up order and this notice has been circulated today:
Quote:
"Jon Beard and John Walters of Begbies Traynor expect to be shortly appointed Administrators of BLiSS Outdoor Limited trading as Edge & Wax an Alpine sports online retailer with Award Winning dedicated boot fitting and ski service centre."

Anyone wanna buy a ski shop?
http://www.lshmachinerysales.co.uk/business-sales?task=getitem&sale_id=314

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-08-16 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's a real shame! Always excellent service, and the best range of Hestra gloves around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That is sad news, I've bought loads from them over the years. If they do close down, I guess this is the best time of year from the customers viewpoint, as many will not be ordering in the spring/summer.

I have noticed that their sales and discounts have been getting bigger/longer. Taking a purely mercenary view, there could be some extreme bargains available.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A great shame
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what a shame bought some nice stuff from these guys skis,gloves etc great advice and service .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sad to see any business go to the wall (assuming they don't manage to sell it as a going concern), especially one that seems to have a decent reputation.

PowderAdict wrote:
Taking a purely mercenary view, there could be some extreme bargains available.

Perhaps, but if ordering online it's worth using a credit (rather than debit) card so that the card conpany has the liability if the goods don't make it...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had some great service from these guys over the years, I will be sorry to not have anywhere to buy my last minute stuff. They always delivered on time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had an email this afternoon from E&W offering a 25% off everything before their Bank Holiday sale.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PowderAdict, yes, I did also, I checked my email after I read this.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will also miss the little packet of Haribo that were always in the delivery.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ebay shop:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Edge-And-Wax-Bliss-Bikes-And-Boards
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So sorry to hear that. I've bought skis and other bits and pieces from them in the past, and found them great.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a shame, they're my local go to... I hope they make it
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very sad news. Great shop, great service. And the owner is a Snowhead and has made useful contributions to the forum over the years.
Very sad Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin wrote:
Jon Beard and John Walters of Begbies Traynor expect to be shortly appointed Administrators of BLiSS Outdoor Limited trading as Edge & Wax an Alpine sports online retailer with Award Winning dedicated boot fitting and ski service centre."

Well that's one way to push it into Administration is to announce it will shortly go. Nothing like giving suppliers and customers a sense of security!
ski holidays
Looks like it might be pre-pack....
ski holidays
ster wrote:
.......Well that's one way to push it into Administration is to announce it will shortly go. Nothing like giving suppliers and customers a sense of security!

The suppliers are well aware of the situation - not being paid significant amounts of money against considerably overdue invoices for goods supplied in good faith tends to make a supplier notice these things. I know this as I'm one of them Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@spyderjon, Sad
ski holidays

Well @spyderjon, I sure hope you get in there quick and will be able to claw back your dough mate...
snow report
That is sad. I just bought a pair of Kneebindings from them. Excellent service and very nice people working there.
snow report
What a shame, they are a great company and lovely people Sad
latest report
Yeah I was wondering when I managed to buy some tuning gear at 75% off what was going on... Sad
snow conditions
@spyderjon don't know if you have "retention of title" clause on your invoices. If so the administrators should let you collect your goods without too much argument. But you need to get in there quick before the goods are sold on!
latest report
@kerb, Yep, I'm already on it but that's only valid if the goods haven't been sold.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
@kerb, Yep, I'm already on it but that's only valid if the goods haven't been sold.

best of luck!
snow report
Hello. Thank you for the kind words. I would like to remind people that I have staff here, good ones, and that rumours don't help, nor do suppliers speaking ill of a business that is going through a process of restructuring.

We are still here, still trading but like many have struggled thanks to Euroland pricing and some suppliers that deem the UK to be 1% of their customers.

We are looking to sell parts or all of the business hence the words pasted into this post.

We have been dealing with customers and suppliers within the legal framework (and testing it to its limit as our customers are our friends) which, to remind you Spyderjon, at this point does not include Snowheads :0) only one side of the story is here, and I play by the rules so cannot say any more other than to thank those concerned for us, consider our team of staff and bear with us over the next few days for those needing an update.

And if anyone would like to consider owning a Wintersports business that is customer focused PM me for more details :0)

Thank you for your understanding that this will be my only post on this thread.

ScottyDog
Owner
Edge & Wax
latest report
@scottydog, best of luck, from another customer, I hope we don't see you go.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@scottydog, best of luck, from another customer, I hope we don't see you go.
+1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope all ok for you Scottydog. Have visited your shop, attended one of your courses and have also shopped with you online. Great business and lovely people.
snow report
Scottydog, in this age of 'faceless' internet shopping Edge and wax have always managed to be very personable to deal with. I think that it was Teresa Brooks and Sue Whitmore who dealt with one of my orders and I can't fault their manner or service.
Good luck with it all.
latest report
@scottydog, best of luck, from a very satisfied customer.
snow report
snowheads crowdfunding???? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Best of luck with the restructure, but don't forget the suppliers, imho restructures normally leave suppliers out of pocket - and poor business decisions generally lead to restructures.
I would think a business - buying stock in Euro last year would have enjoyed favourable exchange rates and therefore trading margins.
We need local ski shops and this should serve as a reminder to support British companies before rushing to lowest price offer.
ski holidays
@Charliee, Whilst some of that is true re: poor business decisions, that's not always the case.

I do agree though, it should also serve as a bit of a reminder to us. If we want these local businesses to not just survive but also thrive, we need to support them and weigh up the long term consequences of our online shopping behaviours. Whilst you could undoubtedly save a few quid by buying your gear from Ekosport etc... it's not so easy to get equipment servicing, great boot fitting, advice or even a cuppa online.
snow report
@scottydog, Your Company has supplied me with some great products and service over the years, thanks for that. I wish you well, on the proviso that you look after your staff, and pay valued suppliers which I trust you will. I'm a great advocate of niche UK independent ski industry suppliers and always try wherever possible to spend with guys who receive my hard-earned into their own and staff's pockets rather than fat-cat multi-site high street operators who don't know one end of a ski from another. I/ we also buy my/our skis from Whitedot which I see as real innovators and offer a fantastic product, and is run by proper ski community people with a genuine desire to provide top products and earn a decent living (hopefully) themselves.

However I do also spend with European shops for some big-ticket items where I feel I can get better bang for my buck when I know what I want and can't source it at the right price in the UK, eg Dynafit ski boots and bindings, and Norrona ski wear.

If E&W do come through this intact, and I hope you will, for my ten-penneth I'd suggest a real innovative, niche differentiated offering along the lines of say Jons Piste Office, Snowsafe, or Snowshepherd in future, this might be a better strategy and gain better returns rather than trying to compete with the likes of the big German on-line houses who have major leverage. Don't know what this would be but its just an observation....if I knew I'd be doing it btw. The UK is part of the EU (for now and hopefully a long time to come) and as such folks like me will fish in the bigger pond with its greater choices and attractive pricing on occasion (UK wintersports are only 1% of the global marketplace after all). The converse, however is that I am happy to pay for great products and service (a la Piste Office and Whitedot) when I know that its going back into R&D, innovation and service enhancement.
ski holidays
Quote:

I wish you well, on the proviso that you look after your staff, and pay valued suppliers which I trust you will.

IME "valued suppliers" are just creditors and they get hurt along with everyone else. The main loser is usually HMRC (VAT and PAYE) and that means all of us so personally I'd rather suppliers got equal treatment. There are no buyers for this kind of business as such - anyone interested in the goodwill of the company will only be interested in starting off clean with a new unencumbered Ltd company so there are bound to be unhappy suppliers at the end. Just the way it goes.
ski holidays
That's a real shame, it was a good shop with good service. Hope they manage to survive and go on to better things.
latest report
They've now ceased trading and are in Administration.
ski holidays
Sad
latest report
The website is still up and running.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy